Defensive Coordinator Diiscussion

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who will we have Bo Pelini coaching? LB?

Well you know that Takeo Spikes has expressed an interest on twitter in being the LB coach, not once but twice, in the last couple months. The last one was specifically mentioned with Muschamp. Our LBs would learn more from Takeo the first day than they did in the last 5 years from Thigpen and Johnson combined.

AMEN!!

Nebraska just hired Oregon States Mike Riley as Head coach.

Wow

As somebody on twitter put it, "Mike Riley went 9-4 3 different times at Oregon State. At least we know that Nebraska has a type."

Nebraska just hired Oregon States Mike Riley as Head coach.

Wow

As somebody on twitter put it, "Mike Riley went 9-4 3 different times at Oregon State. At least we know that Nebraska has a type."

Good stuff

Well you know that Takeo Spikes has expressed an interest on twitter in being the LB coach, not once but twice, in the last couple months. The last one was specifically mentioned with Muschamp. Our LBs would learn more from Takeo the first day than they did in the last 5 years from Thigpen and Johnson combined.

AMEN!!

Not sure why y'all think Takeo Spikes would be a good LB coach. I'm not saying that he wouldn't, but I have not seen any evidence to support him being a good coach. Sure, he was a great player and has a lot of passion and intensity, but that doesn't necessarily make him a great teacher of the game. I think he probably would be a good motivator, but a coach needs to be able to explain things in a way for his players to understand.

Dee hasn't lived up to his elite status and neither has Lemonier but Corey wasn't a 1st round pick. My point is Dee was very good but not transcendent and the fact that he rarely if ever plays for KC seems to bear that out.

Pro football performance has nothing to do with college football performance.

Not knocking Garner at all. Big fan and I hope it works out that he's able to stay. But I've been reading in this thread, and others, about the lack of a pass rush this year being due to the lack of an "elite" pass rusher. I guess my question is.... Isn't it an elite D-1, SEC West D-Line & D-End Coach's job to help mold and create elite pass rushers? Should Auburn only be allowed to have 1 per year and if he's hurt, then....too bad?

As much as I love Garner, I wonder if he's more of a DT coach and AU SHOULD have a separate DE coach?

By definition, "elite" means that most programs don't even have 1, much less 2. What we failed to produce behind Lawson, though, was even "very good". But I'm willing to blame that on the roster. We didn't have much to begin with, and had a couple tough injuries on top of Lawson's. That's why some of us are very concerned about the current recruiting cycle, and hoping like heck that Muschamp inks a deal and brings a couple stud DEs with him.

Fairley hasn't been elite in the NFL either.

AMEN!!

Not sure why y'all think Takeo Spikes would be a good LB coach. I'm not saying that he wouldn't, but I have not seen any evidence to support him being a good coach. Sure, he was a great player and has a lot of passion and intensity, but that doesn't necessarily make him a great teacher of the game. I think he probably would be a good motivator, but a coach needs to be able to explain things in a way for his players to understand.

You didn't know? all ex-AU players would be awesome coaches for AU.

People on this board actually wanted Pat freaking Nix as OC even AFTER he bombed out at Miami. LOL!

Dee hasn't lived up to his elite status and neither has Lemonier but Corey wasn't a 1st round pick. My point is Dee was very good but not transcendent and the fact that he rarely if ever plays for KC seems to bear that out.

Not knocking Garner at all. Big fan and I hope it works out that he's able to stay. But I've been reading in this thread, and others, about the lack of a pass rush this year being due to the lack of an "elite" pass rusher. I guess my question is.... Isn't it an elite D-1, SEC West D-Line & D-End Coach's job to help mold and create elite pass rushers? Should Auburn only be allowed to have 1 per year and if he's hurt, then....too bad?

As much as I love Garner, I wonder if he's more of a DT coach and AU SHOULD have a separate DE coach?

By definition, "elite" means that most programs don't even have 1, much less 2. What we failed to produce behind Lawson, though, was even "very good". But I'm willing to blame that on the roster. We didn't have much to begin with, and had a couple tough injuries on top of Lawson's. That's why some of us are very concerned about the current recruiting cycle, and hoping like heck that Muschamp inks a deal and brings a couple stud DEs with him.

Debatable. He's had flashes.

AMEN!!

People on this board actually wanted Pat freaking Nix as OC even AFTER he bombed out at Miami. LOL!

Not saying he would be a good coach but anyone that gives back and works with kids is usually a good teach and mentor. He can start as a GA (and get an advanced degree)

Spikes provides mentoring at his annual TKO camp where he inspires young boys and girls to reach their goals. The mission of the camp is to help the participants bridge the gap of taking their goals from dreams to reality. The day-long event gives middle to high school age girls and boys an opportunity to participate in a basketball camp, football camp, and cheerleading camp with motivational speeches and Q&A with professional athletes. The annual event also includes a financial contribution to the local Washington County, GA athletic department.

Thats because most people on here are clueless. They assume that being a great player somehow guarantees that said player would also be a great coach, when there is literally zero basis for that statement. Some of the worst coaches in sports have been guys that were "great" players: Isiah Thomas, Wayne Gretzky, etc.

We are one of the most prestigious football programs in the country with huge resources at our disposal. Do you seriously believe that we need to take a massive risk on a guy with zero coaching experience? Zero recruiting experience?

AMEN!!

Debatable. He's had flashes.

Nicks' problem has largely been motivation and willingness to actually put in the time and effort required. He came in out of shape and overweight to start camp this year. That's not a good way to endear yourself to your new coach. If he ever decided to do what it took to become an elite player, he would be a devastating DT.

I saw an article that said it will be a couple weeks until Muschamp makes his decision. Don't know if some of you saw it

Not likely. The Rivals article yesterday said Gus would make a hire by end of next week at the latest.

All of which just continues to make my overall point that there is no position that is easy to transition to from college ball. Also my entire take was in response to the use of the terminology "transcendent talent" as it related to college players. To make it in the NFL one must be an off the charts freak of nature and have one helluva a work ethic too with few exceptions. The odds are long against pretty much everybody coming out of college. The list of "cant miss players" who never make pro bowl or who flame out after a couple seasons is long and ongoing

I saw an article that said it will be a couple weeks until Muschamp makes his decision. Don't know if some of you saw it

Not likely. The Rivals article yesterday said Gus would make a hire by end of next week at the latest.

http://flywareagle.com/2014/12/04/will-muschamp-to-auburn-update-decision-will-take-weeks/

AMEN!!

We've got this mentality that we have to bring back every great ex player to be a coach here. Why it always has to be a guy with AU ties, I'll never know. Just go out and hire the best there is and let that be it. Alabama kept shooting themselves in the foot by insisting all their Head coaches had to have ties to bear.

A Florida friend says Foley basically wants new coach to retain entact the defensive coaches and further specifically wants trob retained. Take it for what its worth.

Fairley's only problem has been injury. He missed chunks of his first season with a broken foot, and he's going to miss the remainder of this season. If you saw him and Suh at the beginning of the season, you know he was absolutely playing at an elite level. Suh is the piece they built around. Nick was the guy that filled every gap. He played DT and situational DE. They were the best pair of tackles in the league.

A Florida friend says Foley basically wants new coach to retain entact the defensive coaches and further specifically wants trob retained. Take it for what its worth.

On a side note.... Looking at what McElwain's done at CSU and if he IS able to keep his defensive staff intact.... look out for UF in the coming years!!

Foley needs to mind his own business.

http://flywareagle.c...ill-take-weeks/

https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1711364

"Auburn can be patient for now, but it cannot remain in a holding pattern. With Ellis Johnson now removed from his position as defensive coordinator, the team's defensive assistants are in an uncomfortable position knowing their days on the Plains may be numbered.

That could affect the Tigers' recruiting effort if allowed to fester, but Malzahn understands the situation. He'll make a hire no later than next week."

I just simply cannot imagine that an AD would handcuff his new head coach to the former staff, and further cannot imageine that the new coach would except such terms of employment.

I just simply cannot imagine that an AD would handcuff his new head coach to the former staff, and further cannot imageine that the new coach would except such terms of employment.

maybe the coach wants this. I don't think Foley would handcuff his new head coach. He's never done that before that I know of.

Archived