Muschamp's Defensive Staff

AEAugirl

This is what happens when you go out and hire a head coach that has a great vision for the program and isn't afraid to make bold moves.

Same was said after we hired VanGorder.

ridiculous. the two don't compare. our staff on both sides of the ball has never been this solid.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what happens when you go out and hire a head coach that has a great vision for the program and isn't afraid to make bold moves.

ridiculous. the two don't compare. our staff on both sides of the ball has never been this solid.

NEVER

Where did this come from? Muschamp VanGorder??? Come on man this is nuts to say the least.

From what all of the Auburn insiders have said, TRob is coming to Auburn and that he has been telling everyone that. Don't think there will be an official announcement though until after UF's bowl game. I'm sure WM will make his own hire on LB position. Would like to see TWill there, he's been very passionate and faithful to Auburn. Idk how great of a coach he is but I wouldn't mind seeing him takeover. I think Melvin Smith stays but Coach Cheese is gone IMO.

Booger tweeted this that Muschamp won him over

Are you talking about the SEC channel Booger Man from LSU?

It's being reported that TWilliams will coach LBs for the bowl game.

^^ Not saying he's coming but it was talked about.WDE

Promote Travis Williams to LB coach and Dede to off the field coach.

I've heard Randy Shannon burned bridges with the HS coaches in S. Florida as the HC of Miami. Some have said he would be great at recruiting S. Fla if he came aboard. Does anyone have firm info one way or the other on this?

I've heard Randy Shannon burned bridges with the HS coaches in S. Florida as the HC of Miami. Some have said he would be great at recruiting S. Fla if he came aboard. Does anyone have firm info one way or the other on this?

First I've heard about it. He always had good recruiting classes at Miami.

First I've heard about it. He always had good recruiting classes at Miami.

Yeah buddy.....

Nevin-Shapiro-Picture.jpg

Shannon told players to stay away from Shapiro

That's what they say...didn't really work out way.

Maybe it was a wink wink, nod nod kinda' thing.

And they pretty well got away with it, thanks to our girl Julie Roe Lach.

I'm hearing about a special staff being assembled, and it will be epic. Stay tuned!!

That's what was said two years ago when the current staff plus Johnson was put together. "Best recruiting staff ever" and so forth. Now it needs re-doing after only two seasons.

The only name in this entire thread that both makes sense that it might happen and gets me enthusiastic is Randy Shannon. The troubles at Miami weren't his doing. He, personally, was never in NCAA trouble about all of that booster foolishness. Actually, Shannon would have been my choice for DC. I'm not sure why he makes a lateral move to AU from Arky but we'd be lucky to get him.

All these others: T-Rob, Dede, Thompson, Rocker....every guy that's added means somebody gets fired. From the public's perspective the only one that needed to go was Ellis Johnson. Maybe Gus feels others need to go, maybe he doesn't. Time will tell.

PS:Throwing a few more dollars at a guy who is already making around 1/2 mill a year is insignificant. If we can't offer some of these people jobs with more responsibility and a better sounding title we're wasting our time. "Pay the man" is nonsense. They are already getting paid.

Shannon told players to stay away from Shapiro

That's what they say...didn't really work out way.

Maybe it was a wink wink, nod nod kinda' thing.

And they pretty well got away with it, thanks to our girl Julie Roe Lach.

No Shannon kept his players away. He was the one working to clean up that mess.

I'm hearing about a special staff being assembled, and it will be epic. Stay tuned!!

That's what was said two years ago when the current staff plus Johnson was put together. "Best recruiting staff ever" and so forth. Now it needs re-doing after only two seasons.

The only name in this entire thread that both makes sense that it might happen and gets me enthusiastic is Randy Shannon. The troubles at Miami weren't his doing. He, personally, was never in NCAA trouble about all of that booster foolishness. Actually, Shannon would have been my choice for DC. I'm not sure why he makes a lateral move to AU from Arky but we'd be lucky to get him.

All these others: T-Rob, Dede, Thompson, Rocker....every guy that's added means somebody gets fired. From the public's perspective the only one that needed to go was Ellis Johnson. Maybe Gus feels others need to go, maybe he doesn't. Time will tell.

PS:Throwing a few more dollars at a guy who is already making around 1/2 mill a year is insignificant. If we can't offer some of these people jobs with more responsibility and a better sounding title we're wasting our time. "Pay the man" is nonsense. They are already getting paid.

What you're not taking into consideration in your argument is that school resources also play a part. AU has more resources dedicated to FB right now and better personnel. We are also a lot more likely to be playing for an SEC or National Championship. Coaching for those types of teams are more likely to showcase your talent than coaching at a team that has never been able to win a SEC Championship game.

Wouldn't you rather a DC bring in coaches who fit his philosophy?

I never said that about cej at all. To be honest I wasn't impressed with the hire from the get go. I'm just letting u guys know a little info from what I've been told

Well it wasn't just Johnson. He was the public face of the defense but the position coaches were just as culpable as he was. A defensive coordinator has to rely on his position coaches to properly work with their guys. T-Rob has been an excellent db coach from day one of his career. We all have seen the work that Rocker can do with defensive linemen. I don't know a lot about the others. They may be looking at people we haven't thought of or they may not make any changes. Wil and Gus will sit down together and make those decisions. Money isn't the only factor in things. Others have already stated the possibility of competing for championships. It's also about who you are more comfortable working with. That plays as big a role as anything else in the coaching profession.

What I'm trying to understand is why was there the thought that the staff was so great initially. Garner, I understand. CEJ was getting torched by Gus when he was at AU previously and then complained and cried about the HUNH because of it (that should've been a red flag). Melvin Smith came from loser-mania Mississippi State where AU would beat them almost every year, and Harbison was, like Smith, at Miss State and also perennially underwhelming Clemson.

I guess for the 4-2-5 it was good to have coaches who coached in the system before.

What I'm trying to understand is why was there the thought that the staff was so great initially. Garner, I understand. CEJ was getting torched by Gus when he was at AU previously and then complained and cried about the HUNH because of it (that should've been a red flag). Melvin Smith came from loser-mania Mississippi State where AU would beat them almost every year, and Harbison was, like Smith, at Miss State and also perennially underwhelming Clemson.

I guess for the 4-2-5 it was good to have coaches who coached in the system before.

Smith had the best resume out of all of them. Msu may have been loserville but one thing we can't say is we've had better secondaries than them but we've had better recruits. Smith was sending guys to the nfl every year

Harbison was brought in strictly for his recruiting prowess. I'd have to leave it up to the recruiting gurus to assess the ROI there.

Smith came in with legit credentials as a position coach, and our play at cornerback has been significantly better under him (not good enough, but better- Chris Davis was 2nd team All-SEC). Keep in mind that his guys have been asked to play man coverage almost exclusively the last 2 years. http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/melvin_smith_833442.html

CEJ was a highly respected DC before the Southern Miss debacle (kinda like Will Muschamp was a highly respected DC before the Florida debacle).

Put Harbison at recruiting coordinator or something of that nature. If T-Rob is coming, let him come! I do like Melvin Smith a lot and think that he should stay, just don't know where he'd be moved to.

Put Harbison at recruiting coordinator or something of that nature. If T-Rob is coming, let him come! I do like Melvin Smith a lot and think that he should stay, just don't know where he'd be moved to.

If Melvin Smith is gone, I think Geoff Collins will give him a call.

I honestly don't want Harbison anywhere near Auburn after the bowl. He's destroyed every secondary he's coached. He was the defensive coordinator at MSU the year they went 4-8, and at Clemson when they gave up 70 points to WVU in the Orange Bowl. Not to mention he was on Shula's staff at Alabama. The guys been a loser everywhere and he only contributes to recruiting.

I always see people mentioning that so-and-so should be moved to recruiting coordinator. Little help here -- Does the recruiting coordinator actually go out and recruit? Or is he just kind of in charge of AU's recruiting board and carrying out recruiting related office duties and whatnot? I was under the impression only on-field assistants can recruit prospects.

Archived