Muschamp's Defensive Staff

AEAugirl

Not enough to justify being named linebacker coach for a top-10 programs. This coaching position calls for someone with proven experience coaching and developing players at the major college level.

Its not that out of the question. James Willis was hired after two seasons at Rhode Island (an FCS school) and one season at Temple...so in reality he had only one season of coaching experience at the FBS level before he was hired by Auburn, and Temple is hardly a power-program. He wouldn't be my top choice, but that would be an interesting hire...especially once you consider that if we were to hire a LB coach that would mean that Muschamp wouldn't be responsible for actually coaching a position group himself, which would mean that he would be able to assist a young coach like Dede considering that he has been a LB coach himself. I think that Dede could probably be a dynamite recruiter, especially with parents given his PhD.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not enough to justify being named linebacker coach for a top-10 programs. This coaching position calls for someone with proven experience coaching and developing players at the major college level.

Its not that out of the question. James Willis was hired after two seasons at Rhode Island (an FCS school) and one season at Temple...so in reality he had only one season of coaching experience at the FBS level before he was hired by Auburn, and Temple is hardly a power-program. He wouldn't be my top choice, but that would be an interesting hire...especially once you consider that if we were to hire a LB coach that would mean that Muschamp wouldn't be responsible for actually coaching a position group himself, which would mean that he would be able to assist a young coach like Dede considering that he has been a LB coach himself. I think that Dede could probably be a dynamite recruiter, especially with parents given his PhD.

No to Willis!

Has anyone heard anything about Joe-Lee Dunn? I think his disciple is Robb Ryan, the Saints current DC.

No to Willis!

Uhmm, I didn't say anything about hiring Willis. Reading comprehension. I'm using him as an example of a coach that we hired despite very little real "major D1 coaching experience".

Travis Williams has been on staff in an off field role. He will be coaching linebackers for the bowl game. Might be, as has been said elsewhere, a sort of trial for him to see if they want to make it permanent.

I don't care if Harbison and Smith stay. I just want the Db's to turn and look for the ball. maybe if TRob joins the staff Harbison can move to LB's or recruiting coordinator.

THIS specifically will not happen. That was the chief complaint about WM when he was at AU. The DBs will not be looking back for the ball.

funny I don't remember that being a problem.

I don't know that it was a problem, but it was a huge gripe among our fans. Of course, every DB coach worth anything has his players watch the receiver, not the ball. But...what do coaches know when compared to message board posters?

You mean all these guys going back and forth don't have their resumes in for the assistant positions on WM's staff? ;)

Travis Williams has been on staff in an off field role. He will be coaching linebackers for the bowl game. Might be, as has been said elsewhere, a sort of trial for him to see if they want to make it permanent.

it is not a trial, the dc/lb coach was fired, next man up...he could very well get the job, but this is not a trial.

Not to mention that Dede coaching linebackers in the SEC isn't nearly as big a leap as going from a head coach in high school to an OC in the SEC. People said Nutt was a real nut and just trying to get players to commit to UA. In the end, hiring Gus to be OC straight from high school was probably the best decision Nutt ever made. Meddling in Gus's offense, probably the worst decision Nutt ever made. The point is, a good coach is a good coach no matter where he is coaching.

That's an awesome idea. Just think if you were a 17 year old boy and Bo Jackson came to yours and your parents house and he was recruiting you for Auburn. HAVE MERCY!

A 17 year old would have to google his name.

I doubt it. I was just hanging out with some college kids from Vermont and they knew who Bo was. And were fans.

Btw, I hope we can all agree that Bo isn't coming to coach any position at Auburn.

If the kid didn't know who he was...Bo just hand him Techno Bowl and say play the Raiders...I have only one Play...All that is needed...TD everytime..."Bo Knows"....Now Sign with Auburn....

That's an awesome idea. Just think if you were a 17 year old boy and Bo Jackson came to yours and your parents house and he was recruiting you for Auburn. HAVE MERCY!

A 17 year old would have to google his name.

I doubt it. I was just hanging out with some college kids from Vermont and they knew who Bo was. And were fans.

Btw, I hope we can all agree that Bo isn't coming to coach any position at Auburn.

If the kid didn't know who he was...Bo just hand him Techno Bowl and say play the Raiders...I have only one Play...All that is needed...TD everytime..."Bo Knows"....Now Sign with Auburn....

Yeah let him keep doing yoga on the sidelines.

From what all of the Auburn insiders have said, TRob is coming to Auburn and that he has been telling everyone that. Don't think there will be an official announcement though until after UF's bowl game. I'm sure WM will make his own hire on LB position. Would like to see TWill there, he's been very passionate and faithful to Auburn. Idk how great of a coach he is but I wouldn't mind seeing him takeover. I think Melvin Smith stays but Coach Cheese is gone IMO.

From what all of the Auburn insiders have said, TRob is coming to Auburn and that he has been telling everyone that. Don't think there will be an official announcement though until after UF's bowl game. I'm sure WM will make his own hire on LB position. Would like to see TWill there, he's been very passionate and faithful to Auburn. Idk how great of a coach he is but I wouldn't mind seeing him takeover. I think Melvin Smith stays but Coach Cheese is gone IMO.

Booger tweeted this that Muschamp won him over

Despite Metafour's advocacy of Willis, I really think Williams is not out of the question, and Dede could be a dynamite recruiter (especially since he has a PhD).

;)

Since Muschamp's DC at Florida, Durkin, has been interviewing for other DC jobs (TA&M, UNC), we can assume that he will be leaving UF.

From what I've heard, McElwain has had TRob on the recruiting trail with him. So it looks like they might want to keep him there, if they can. I'm not too worried about Auburn being able to pay TRob in order to lure him to Auburn. And it was Muschamp who gave him his shot and helped him develop as a coach.

It's not a done deal. McElwain may make him a good offer to keep him at UF. Although I can't see him staying at UF, if Muschamp really wants him at Auburn. I think this is really up to Muschamp.

Not to mention that Dede coaching linebackers in the SEC isn't nearly as big a leap as going from a head coach in high school to an OC in the SEC. People said Nutt was a real nut and just trying to get players to commit to UA. In the end, hiring Gus to be OC straight from high school was probably the best decision Nutt ever made. Meddling in Gus's offense, probably the worst decision Nutt ever made. The point is, a good coach is a good coach no matter where he is coaching.

Gus had about 15 years being a coach in HS. He was well known in Arkansas among coaches and players. Nutt only did that to get Mustain signed. Actually that move is not unheard of. Comparing that with cases like Dede is apples and oranges. I still don't get the obsession some people have with making our staff all former Auburn players. The strangest suggestion I have heard yet is to replace Grimes with Garner on the OL just so we can bring Rocker back.

Gus had about 15 years being a coach in HS. He was well known in Arkansas among coaches and players. Nutt only did that to get Mustain signed. Actually that move is not unheard of. Comparing that with cases like Dede is apples and oranges. I still don't get the obsession some people have with making our staff all former Auburn players. The strangest suggestion I have heard yet is to replace Grimes with Garner on the OL just so we can bring Rocker back.

I agree that an ex AU player might not be the best coach out there, but I do see were it comes from. To most of us these guys are more well known than someone who played anywhere else. They would have to be a big name college player, played in the NFL or very well known position coach for us to know who they even are. Besides, Who does not like to see one of our guys ride in and be the Auburn hero they were on the feild. We also asume they love AU as much as we do and will put more into it becouse it is AU making it a family thing more than just a job. We see it in orange and blue glasses!

Miss. St. DC Geoff Collins is reportedly following McElwain to Florida. Is does not look like DJ Durkin will be retained. I know it's still wishful thinking, but Durkin would be an unbelievable addition to our staff!

I agree that an ex AU player might not be the best coach out there, but I do see were it comes from. To most of us these guys are more well known than someone who played anywhere else. They would have to be a big name college player, played in the NFL or very well known position coach for us to know who they even are. Besides, Who does not like to see one of our guys ride in and be the Auburn hero they were on the feild. We also asume they love AU as much as we do and will put more into it becouse it is AU making it a family thing more than just a job. We see it in orange and blue glasses!

Yeah I get that but in this business, and it is a business, you have to hire the best regardless of where they went to school. Alabama went through that after Bear. Every hc had to have some tie to him or the school. It got them nowhere. Finally they just simply hired the best man period and the results speak for themselves. Got to take off the orange and blue glasses when it comes to hiring coaches. Get the right man and if he is an Auburn man then that is a bonus.

I mentioned Dede not because he is Auburn Alum but because he just stepped down from his head coaching job to "Continue his career" in other places. I would love the idea of Lance Thompson on this staff. But I don't believe in coincidences.

I agree with metafour. James Willis would be an amazing addition to the staff. The whole leaving for alabama and domestic violence nonsense are way overblown anyway.

Archived