2015 5* DE Byron Cowart commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

Will Herring held something like a 4.0 in pre-med......................

now granted, he is the exception, not the rule........................... But I think he can do it if his mind is right.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one thing to wanna play with your buddies, but I'd surprised if anyone makes their college choice based mainly on who their football teammates will be.

Don't know about the other guys, but Cowart knows what he wants to do (Journalism) and how to go about it (finish in 3 years…BEFORE he enters the draft). That's pretty cool, he has a good head on his shoulders.

How does our Journalism department compare to UF and FSU? From what I've heard, he's very impressed with what we have to offer in that regard.

Whoa. If so, we really do want this guy! That's impressive.

Don't listen to the prospective majors so much, because that's more of dreaming (or a backup plan) than anything else. Ben Grubbs came to Auburn planning to get a degree in engineering, and according to his former high school principal--who is good friends with my father and has known the Grubbs family well since Ben was just a little guy--he has the academic chops to make that happen. The problem is that there simply isn't enough time to take on a challenging major AND prepare for football the way you must in order to succeed in the SEC. (Ben finished with a degree in...business administration, I believe.)

Now, there aren't many journalism schools in the world that are as difficult as Auburn's engineering program, but to finish the degree in three years while making a significant enough impact on the playing field to legitimately go pro at the end of the three years is next to impossible. That's not to say he can't do it, nor that the coaches will discourage him from it if that's really what he wants. Rather, it's more likely he will get to Auburn (or wherever he goes), grasp the reality of pulling off that feat, and focus on football while accepting that he's not going to be able to graduate in 3 years if he's going to be on the field for those 3 seasons.

So yeah, it's nice to have kids on board who are thinking about what they want to study beyond playbooks and game situations, primarily because it is indicative of a kid who has a brain. Still, though, football players are usually at Auburn for football, and they will be pursuing some sort of career in the game after college (be it coaching, broadcasting, NFL, a semi-pro league, or what have you), so typically they just find something they can handle well enough to get their degree, and that way if they cannot continue playing, they have the diploma to assist in whatever career they choose. And let's face it: no matter what the concentration, a degree from Auburn opens a lot of doors...

You start this summer and go each summer, very doable with a communications major.

It's one thing to wanna play with your buddies, but I'd surprised if anyone makes their college choice based mainly on who their football teammates will be.

Don't know about the other guys, but Cowart knows what he wants to do (Journalism) and how to go about it (finish in 3 years…BEFORE he enters the draft). That's pretty cool, he has a good head on his shoulders.

How does our Journalism department compare to UF and FSU? From what I've heard, he's very impressed with what we have to offer in that regard.

Don't listen to the prospective majors so much, because that's more of dreaming (or a backup plan) than anything else. Ben Grubbs came to Auburn planning to get a degree in engineering, and according to his former high school principal--who is good friends with my father and has known the Grubbs family well since Ben was just a little guy--he has the academic chops to make that happen. The problem is that there simply isn't enough time to take on a challenging major AND prepare for football the way you must in order to succeed in the SEC. (Ben finished with a degree in...business administration, I believe.)

Now, there aren't many journalism schools in the world that are as difficult as Auburn's engineering program, but to finish the degree in three years while making a significant enough impact on the playing field to legitimately go pro at the end of the three years is next to impossible. That's not to say he can't do it, nor that the coaches will discourage him from it if that's really what he wants. Rather, it's more likely he will get to Auburn (or wherever he goes), grasp the reality of pulling off that feat, and focus on football while accepting that he's not going to be able to graduate in 3 years if he's going to be on the field for those 3 seasons.

So yeah, it's nice to have kids on board who are thinking about what they want to study beyond playbooks and game situations, primarily because it is indicative of a kid who has a brain. Still, though, football players are usually at Auburn for football, and they will be pursuing some sort of career in the game after college (be it coaching, broadcasting, NFL, a semi-pro league, or what have you), so typically they just find something they can handle well enough to get their degree, and that way if they cannot continue playing, they have the diploma to assist in whatever career they choose. And let's face it: no matter what the concentration, a degree from Auburn opens a lot of doors...

You start this summer and go each summer, very doable with a communications major.

Yes... I can't name names at the moment but I recall a number of football players over the past several years getting their degrees in 3 year...go summers, have tutors to keep them on track, etc. Depends on the major for certain.

Back in the day, Engineering required 240 quarter hours and most liberal arts degrees and business required 212...and I expect there is probably a similar ratio these days in the semester system.

I was referring to his goals. I wasn't assuming he would succeed. And I agree completely.

Yeah, it's doable, but for him to do so he would have to be what Will Herring was aptly described as: the exception rather than the rule. I didn't mean to imply that he couldn't do it, only that realistically he will probably choose not to do it because it is so taxing to do both. Most players choose to concentrate more of their energy on football, which I think is a wise decision (so long as they do in fact ensure that they make the grades, of course), which is all I was really getting at.

So, what's our chances on closing out with Cowart, Holland, and CeCe?

110% of getting all 3.

So, what's our chances on closing out with Cowart, Holland, and CeCe?

110% of getting all 3.

Only if we get the bag man involved...Sheridan knows him so we may have to use a bag woman.

He was "hurt" a lot this year.

Didnt they choose to RS Mackenro this season?

Whether he was hurt or not, he didn't play at all so yes, this was his redshirt season.

Back to Cowart, Here is a good Rivals video on him that I believe is free since Keith posted it on AUC. https://rivals.yahoo...op-spot-1132193

So if we did get Cowart, would he get a substantial amount of playing time? From the video, he looks unstoppable. Having a player of that caliber paired with Lawson would drastically change the defense.

Back to Cowart, Here is a good Rivals video on him that I believe is free since Keith posted it on AUC. https://rivals.yahoo...op-spot-1132193

So if we did get Cowart, would he get a substantial amount of playing time? From the video, he looks unstoppable. Having a player of that caliber paired with Lawson would drastically change the defense.

I would think so. We could go back to a rotation like 2013 again at the least. And if he brings Jefferson with him, well.....I feel for other quarterbacks. Just imagine, Lawson and Cowart at DE with Daniel and Jefferson rotating in. Then throw Adams in the middle... :hellyeah:

So if we did get Cowart, would he get a substantial amount of playing time?

We aren't the staff so we don't know but you'd have to think it's very possible.

As for the major thing, there are tons of exceptions. Kendall Simmons was an All-American, and he got his degree in graphic design. I also majored in graphic design. In terms of time required, it was a small step below Architecture and dead level with Industrial Design (my roommate for three years was in IND). His last year, he was at Biggin all the freaking time. So that's another exception.

Will Herring was an exceptional student (and, I might add, a crazy intense although not particularly skilled basketball player at the Student Act).

Ben Obomaun got his MBA in finance before he left Auburn. He was a really sharp dude, and while business degree programs are not particularly hard (I double majored in business admin), I knew the guy. He put a lot of work into his major and his masters.

Andrew Luck has an architecture degree from Stanford. I believe he did that in under four years.

That's just off the top of my head. If the guy is properly motivated, there's no question he could finish a communications major in three years.

Trying to stay calm.....

This might help. The only valid picks are Hoke, Keith and Luke Stampini. Hoke has AU. Stampini has Florida. Keith has not picked yet. If we ever get to all 3 of them picking AU then you can get somewhat excited.

Trying to stay calm.....

This might help. The only valid picks are Hoke, Keith and Luke Stampini. Hoke has AU. Stampini has Florida. Keith has not picked yet. If we ever get to all 3 of them picking AU then you can get somewhat excited.

lol. Works for me.

Trying to stay calm.....

I guess Luke is the UF guy?

Trying to stay calm.....

Yup!

Trying to stay calm.....

Yup!

Just went to the UF site and saw that. Not so sure he is in the Cowart loop as much as he thinks.

Trying to stay calm.....

Yup!

Just went to the UF site and saw that. Not so sure he is in the Cowart loop as much as he thinks.

He's only got Cowart to UF at 51% now so he is not too confident. He will fully wake up soon

Archived