2015 5* DE Byron Cowart commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

FWIW-

@KB_Gators: Saw @ByronHawkStar99 at the airport. He's excited about going to Auburn. Good luck my friend. On to other recruits.

@KB_Gators: @ByronHawkStar99 to AU. and @holland_jeffery is going with him.

Who is KB?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get one, and the other two commit, where does that put this class? ranking estimate wise

Assuming no other commits from the schools ahead of us, getting Cowart, CeCe and Holland would give us a score of 277.00 on the 247 composite, which would be 5th and just behind UGA at 277.63. Adding in Ivey would bump us up to 3rd place.

Here is the class calculator tool for anyone who wants to play around with what different commits would do to our ranking. Florida St and Bama are pretty much out of reach, but if we land that trio and a couple more, a 3rd place class is still possible

wow...it may be a long shot, but I added Holland, Ivey, Jefferson, Cowart, Key, and Tega and thats bumps us up to second with just over 298 points. Then there is also the possibility of the cb from Texas. I forgot to add him. We could be looking at a 2nd place finish. Maybe even first if Bama were to lose one.

The only thing about that 298 is that yeah, it'd put us over FSU who currently has 290, but they're at 290 with 21 commits (we're at 249 with 21 commits). So regardless of who they get to fill out their class you'd have to assume even if we hit on all our top guys that their class is going to end up at 300+.

That being said (and sorry to sidetrack), if we can manage to swing Cowart, Cece, holland and Ivey I really won't care what anyone else's class looks like

You guys know that Cowart, Holland, and CeCe all have said theyre a package deal. No one is getting just one of them.

How new are you to recruiting? "Package deals" of this magnitude are typically overblown because at the end of the day everyone is going to pick the option that is best for themselves individually. While it is a possibility that all three end up here; Jefferson was trending to Ole Miss prior to us hiring Muschamp....and Cowart/Holland clearly aren't going to Ole Miss. How could that be?

Who were the twin brothers that said they'd go to school together, and then one commited to Clemson and the other elsewhere? (I don't think I'm imagining this)

If two brothers can separate themselves, I imagine the same can be said about a few friends.

Who were the twin brothers that said they'd go to school together, and then one commited to Clemson and the other elsewhere? (I don't think I'm imagining this)

"And the other somewhere else"........seriously?

The other one went to some school named AUBURN, you may have heard of it. It was Mackenro Alexander and Mackensie Alexander.

If two brothers can separate themselves, I imagine the same can be said about a few friends.

Mackensie Alexander (Clemson) his borther, Mackenro Alexander (Auburn). I think that's who you are referring to ...

Package deals are never package deals ... Coincidence they go to the same place for similar reasons? Yes. Package deals cuz they're buddies although they really want to be somewhere else ... No.

I hope they all like and come to auburn. IMO there are more legit reasons than other places.

The other one went to some school named AUBURN, you may have heard of it. It was Mackenro Alexander and Mackensie Alexander.

Lmao....

My bad. I obviously couldn't remember the exact details(including names) of the recruitment. Did he play at all last season? I don't recall his name being mentioned, and don't see any stats listed on ESPN or CFB Stats.

My bad. I obviously couldn't remember the exact details(including names) of the recruitment. Did he play at all last season? I don't recall his name being mentioned, and don't see any stats listed on ESPN or CFB Stats.

Played in eight games, made four tackles.

WDE!

Edit: Stats were from the 2013 season. Official team site lists no stats for 2014.

wow

I think the only way all three of Cowart, Holland and Jefferson sign at the the school would be UF. At this point it seems like Cowart and Holland are coming here. I don't get that from Jefferson and he all but said the package thing wasn't his deal.

I think the only way all three of Cowart, Holland and Jefferson sign at the the school would be UF. At this point it seems like Cowart and Holland are coming here. I don't get that from Jefferson and he all but said the package thing wasn't his deal.

I think we pull all 3 and not just because of the package deal story

It's one thing to wanna play with your buddies, but I'd surprised if anyone makes their college choice based mainly on who their football teammates will be.

Don't know about the other guys, but Cowart knows what he wants to do (Journalism) and how to go about it (finish in 3 years…BEFORE he enters the draft). That's pretty cool, he has a good head on his shoulders.

How does our Journalism department compare to UF and FSU? From what I've heard, he's very impressed with what we have to offer in that regard.

You guys know that Cowart, Holland, and CeCe all have said theyre a package deal. No one is getting just one of them.

Jefferson was trending to Ole Miss prior to us hiring Muschamp....and Cowart/Holland clearly aren't going to Ole Miss. How could that be?

Maybe they didn't make a decision to stick together until recently. Just playing devil's advocate.

The condescending tone some posters use towards other, possibly less knowledgeable posters here makes me scratch my head sometimes.

Jefferson was trending to Ole Miss prior to us hiring Muschamp....and Cowart/Holland clearly aren't going to Ole Miss. How could that be?

Maybe they didn't make a decision to stick together until recently. Just playing devil's advocate.

The condescending tone some posters use towards other, possibly less knowledgeable posters here makes me scratch my head sometimes.

Some people just gotta stroke that E-Peen.

It's one thing to wanna play with your buddies, but I'd surprised if anyone makes their college choice based mainly on who their football teammates will be.

Don't know about the other guys, but Cowart knows what he wants to do (Journalism) and how to go about it (finish in 3 years…BEFORE he enters the draft). That's pretty cool, he has a good head on his shoulders.

How does our Journalism department compare to UF and FSU? From what I've heard, he's very impressed with what we have to offer in that regard.

Whoa. If so, we really do want this guy! That's impressive.

If he can get past the intro to Journalism class he'll be fine. As someone that has taken it, and about to finish my degree in JRNL, that class is no joke. All you have is 4 tests all semester: Spelling: Have to study almost 1,000 words only to be tested on 100, Word usage, AP, and a test on everything. You have to make an 83 or above on every single test or its considered a "fail" and you cant move on in the major. Meaning you could make 3 100's and an 82 and have to retake the class. You do get to retake every test though, but 5-6 pages of randomized sentences in essay form and trying to find every single error like an editor is a pain. I know more people to switch their major because of that class than to pass that class. He'll have a lot of great resources though so he will be able to succeed, but I do wish him God's speed in that class whenever he takes it. lol

Don't listen to the prospective majors so much, because that's more of dreaming (or a backup plan) than anything else. Ben Grubbs came to Auburn planning to get a degree in engineering, and according to his former high school principal--who is good friends with my father and has known the Grubbs family well since Ben was just a little guy--he has the academic chops to make that happen. The problem is that there simply isn't enough time to take on a challenging major AND prepare for football the way you must in order to succeed in the SEC. (Ben finished with a degree in...business administration, I believe.)

Now, there aren't many journalism schools in the world that are as difficult as Auburn's engineering program, but to finish the degree in three years while making a significant enough impact on the playing field to legitimately go pro at the end of the three years is next to impossible. That's not to say he can't do it, nor that the coaches will discourage him from it if that's really what he wants. Rather, it's more likely he will get to Auburn (or wherever he goes), grasp the reality of pulling off that feat, and focus on football while accepting that he's not going to be able to graduate in 3 years if he's going to be on the field for those 3 seasons.

So yeah, it's nice to have kids on board who are thinking about what they want to study beyond playbooks and game situations, primarily because it is indicative of a kid who has a brain. Still, though, football players are usually at Auburn for football, and they will be pursuing some sort of career in the game after college (be it coaching, broadcasting, NFL, a semi-pro league, or what have you), so typically they just find something they can handle well enough to get their degree, and that way if they cannot continue playing, they have the diploma to assist in whatever career they choose. And let's face it: no matter what the concentration, a degree from Auburn opens a lot of doors...

Archived