Byron Cowart

auburn4ever

On Finebaum yesterday,yes i listen to it, paul was not there and i don't know which espn guy was filling in but he said he was in the auburn war room when cowart committed. He said a lot was made of muschamps reaction but he did celebrate just delayed a few seconds. Said muschamp told him he didn't sleep at all the previous night. Said when he got up he high fived gus and gus said "we just got better". Will said, "a lot better". Don't know why the video released cut that short.

Because that makes the narrative a lot less fun. Made it less fun when we thought Muschamp was just being a stone cold badass, and it made it even less fun when folks started assuming it's because he thought there was something fishy with Cowart.

You get what you deserve when you obsess and over-analyze stupid, meaningless, out-of-context crap like that.

I for one prefer to believe the stone cold badass narrative and will actively ignore any and all evidence to the contrary.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, i learned from last season to not hype things up so much and set too high expectations but c'mon.....cowart,carlson, and big monty in the middle...there will be no doubt that we will have a monster pass rush, still worried about that secondary though :-\

Man, i learned from last season to not hype things up so much and set too high expectations but c'mon.....cowart,carlson, and big monty in the middle...there will be no doubt that we will have a monster pass rush, still worried about that secondary though :-\

That will improve the secondary 50%.

Exactly, look at the Seahawks. One of their most underrated qualities on defense is their monstrous pass rush. Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, and Bruce Irvin make more of an impact on their D than the Legion of Boom, IMO.

Man, i learned from last season to not hype things up so much and set too high expectations but c'mon.....cowart,carlson, and big monty in the middle...there will be no doubt that we will have a monster pass rush, still worried about that secondary though :-\/>

Exactly, look at the Seahawks. One of their most underrated qualities on defense is their monstrous pass rush. Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, and Bruce Irvin make more of an impact on their D than the Legion of Boom, IMO.

If you don't have a pass rush even the best secondary will get burned

we are still very thin on the d-line. carl and byron could be a force that we haven't seen in a while. but we lost 3 steady DTs that we have to hope someone can step up to replace. #98,#90,#50. We know Adams is beast. need 2 or 3 more to rise up.

Man, i learned from last season to not hype things up so much and set too high expectations but c'mon.....cowart,carlson, and big monty in the middle...there will be no doubt that we will have a monster pass rush, still worried about that secondary though :-\/>

If you don't have a pass rush even the best secondary will get burned

true that

Why are we comparing Byron Cowart to Michael Dyer? That is like comparing Superman to the Penguin in Batman. BC will have a superman like career at Auburn. We are about to be treated with a defense that has not been seen in Auburn since the days of Pat Dye's defenses that included Rocker, Rolland, and the other cast of our 1988 defense. That was one of , if not the best defense I have ever seen at Auburn. That is hallowed ground, and one that will have to be earned one snap at a time.

I am ready for this!

Of course a pass rush will improve our secondary but you could still see our secondary was very weak. Most of the biggest plays I remember didn't have anything to do with pass rush. Most plays IMO that pass rush was an issue where those third downs and possession downs. Of course getting a team off the field stop points but I'm just saying I don't remember too many plays where the qb had all day and threw downfield for td's. I also don't remember that many plays with passes defended, it was feast or famine with us and when there was a pass defended well it was so rare we all celebrated it like it was a pick. I remember when we all pretty much said hosely was the best corner on the team and he was going to the nfl because he defended a pass downfield against lsu at the time and one more but I forget against who, we were so excited against two passes we made him an nfl player.

I remember many, many plays when the qb had all day to throw down field. Usce and texam are the first to come to mind.

Me too. There were times, it seemed, that opposing QBs had time to make themselves a sandwich before even becoming a bit antsy in the pocket. Even when we forced QBs out of their comfort zone we never contained them on the the edge and they were almost always able to scramble for significant gains. The K-State game was about the only game I can remember, in which, our DL maintained their rush lanes.

I remember when we all pretty much said hosely was the best corner on the team and he was going to the nfl because he defended a pass downfield against lsu at the time and one more but I forget against who, we were so excited against two passes we made him an nfl player.

Lordy, we do have a way of pumping up AU players when they show just a tiny "flash" of brilliance. :-[

I remember many, many plays when the qb had all day to throw down field. Usce and texam are the first to come to mind.

You're a really smart dude so I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but I also know those first two touchdowns had nothing to do with pass rush. But later on during the game I'm sure he had too much time. (Texas a&m)

You're a really smart dude so I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but I also know those first two touchdowns had nothing to do with pass rush. But later on during the game I'm sure he had too much time. (Texas a&m)

Gus is a smart dude too and during his signing day news conference he stated that lack of pass rush was our biggest problem. It is not always TDs that kill you. It is the third down completions that are converted that keep you from changing field position or lead to a TD later in the drive. But it is pure fact that was our biggest weakness last season. I also agree with your point that some quick passes had nothing to do with it. As far as defense we have room to improve at every position.

I'm sure this has been discussed but does boom run more of a 3-4 or 4-3 front. I know it's "multiple" but which is more common? On the same note, considering our personnel which do we expect to run more?

Gus is a smart dude too and during his signing day news conference he stated that lack of pass rush was our biggest problem. It is not always TDs that kill you. It is the third down completions that are converted that keep you from changing field position or lead to a TD later in the drive. But it is pure fact that was our biggest weakness last season. I also agree with your point that some quick passes had nothing to do with it. As far as defense we have room to improve at every position.

Yeah but that's an argument I never said. I agree that we lacked a pass rush but don't let that masquerade that our secondary was very bad at certain things. When we do get a pass rush our defense will surely get better but that secondary will still need fixing. As far as that was our biggest weakness I don't know if a agree with that or not. To me both phases were equally bad, I don't believe that is pure fact at all

The pass rush or lack of one was easily the biggest problem. It would not matter if you had sherman on one side and revis on the other. If you let the qb just sit in the pocket then someone eventually gets open. Plus we had to blitz out LBs alot just to get pressure which in turn opened up more of the field for the opposing QB. I am not saying we were solid in coverage because we simply got beat from time to time but it was not nearly as bad as it looked. Plus you cant argue with 22 ints on the year. Ask any coach what is the best friend of a secondary and they will say good pass rushing. Cant have solid secondary play with out some consistent pass rushing.

If we would have Revis and Sherman we would have won two more games than we did with the EXACT same pass rush. It was as bad as it looked. I know a pass rush is important, anybody knows that which is why you have all these people thinking the secondary was ok but lacked one....it was not ok. I played it my entire life, and like I said I watched one particular game with a group of my friends one who plays in the nfl and was debated on this very board as being one of the best ever we've had and I'm going to believe him b4 alot of randoms on a board. He said the same thing as me.

Also it seems that muschamp and trob came in and revamped the entire secondary.....seems like it was pretty important to him getting some different players in...

Archived