Rubio: America at 'Generational Moment'

DKW 86

http://www.weeklysta...ent_918301.html

Rubio, who will give a speech Monday evening in his hometown of Miami to launch his White House bid, did not mention former Florida governor Jeb Bush nor former secretary of state Hillary Clinton in the interview excerpts released by ABC News. But Rubio's implict message was that Bush and Clinton, both Baby Boomers and both related to former presidents, represent a past generation.

"I think this country's at a generational moment where it needs to decide not what party it wants in charge but what kind of country are we going to want to be moving forward," Rubio said. "I think the 21st century can be the American century, and I believe that I can lead this country in that direction. I can help lead it there from the Senate. I can lead it there as president.”

:big:

Wow, someone with a real story and a real vision to tell.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like him. We have some excellent people running in the republican party this time. Look for Walker and Carson fairly soon as well.

Conservatives seemed really hot and bothered by Obama's experience level in 2008. I guess that doesn't apply to Carson's candidacy (not that he will get close to winning the nomination anyway)?

I like him. We have some excellent people running in the republican party this time. Look for Walker and Carson fairly soon as well.

Conservatives seemed really hot and bothered by Obama's experience level in 2008. I guess that doesn't apply to Carson's candidacy (not that he will get close to winning the nomination anyway)?

It was part of it. The experience part was more based in large part on the fact that the had never done anything before becoming state senator except be a community agitator.It's a legitimate argument to make about the republican candidates. I won't dismiss it completely. That is one reason I, personally prefer Walker. Truth be told even had Obama served two terms as governor of Illinois, it wouldn't have changed anything. Everything that has happened still would have because of who he is as a person. It all comes from his belief system and experience won't change that.

Rubio has multiples of experience over 2008 Obama. Obama's Number One Selling point over Hillary was that he had NOT supported the Iraq War. His LACK of experience was a huge positive in 2008. In his condemnation of Hillary in the primaries he was ruthless, mean, almost cruel and the press let him get away with it. There arent two hugely unpopular wars going on like in 2008,

Today, we have a lack of leadership problem. We have a poor economy that is not generating sufficient jobs to lift the huge number of longterm unemployed back into the job market. We have a govt that has alienated so many people with its staggering incompetence. Staggering debt. inept answers on any solutions other than cash the check from Wall Street and bicker. I like the idea that Rubio is one of us. He is not a Silver Spoon Harvard type we seem so intent on electing lately. And i like that if nothing else.

Some conservatives seemed really hot and bothered by Obama's experience level in 2008. I guess that doesn't apply to Carson's candidacy (not that he will get close to winning the nomination anyway)?

FTFY.

I didn't vote for Obama because of his stated policy positions on certain matters. I saw some of the chatter about experience, but that was hardly the main issue for the majority of conservatives. Plus, those for whom it was an issue weren't just conservatives. There were quite a few Democrats and liberals hot and bothered about his lack of experience, particularly compared to Hillary at the time.

It's really a campaign tactic. If you have a guy with experience, you will highlight that aspect vs someone younger and less experienced, just as the younger candidate will highlight their "fresh" approach, unencrusted by years of Washington influence vs a long time experienced congressional rep or senator.

Rubio has multiples of experience over 2008 Obama. Obama's Number One Selling point over Hillary was that he had NOT supported the Iraq War. His LACK of experience was a huge positive in 2008. In his condemnation of Hillary in the primaries he was ruthless, mean, almost cruel and the press let him get away with it. There arent two hugely unpopular wars going on like in 2008,

Today, we have a lack of leadership problem. We have a poor economy that is not generating sufficient jobs to lift the huge number of longterm unemployed back into the job market. We have a govt that has alienated so many people with its staggering incompetence. Staggering debt. inept answers on any solutions other than cash the check from Wall Street and bicker. I like the idea that Rubio is one of us. He is not a Silver Spoon Harvard type we seem so intent on electing lately. And i like that if nothing else.

Very well stated. Thanks

Actually, as a Senator, Rubio has accomplished very little, if anything at all. And the one area he's put forth concrete plans, Immigration, he's already flip flopped on. The past (a path to citizenship) vs. the future (toeing the party line).

Actually, as a Senator, Rubio has accomplished very little, if anything at all. And the one area he's put forth concrete plans on, Immigration, he's already flip flopped on. The past (a path to citizenship) vs. the future (toeing the party line).

He made the mistake of believing the democrats and establishment republicans when they promised border security to go along with amnesty. I do fault him for going along with it to be sure. I think he still supports the idea of some form of legalization, eventually, as does most anyone else. The idea of blanket amnesty with fines and back taxes that were never going to be paid along with no border security is not something anyone should support but many do.

I actually applauded Rubio for taking on a very controversial issue, going against his party, and putting forth a solution ... but then he backed down. In other words, when the going got tough, he folded.

What has the pantsuit accomplished? Crickets...

What has the pantsuit accomplished? Crickets...

Are we talking about Rubio or ...? (typical partisan duck and dodge from you WarTim). If you want a thread to talk about Hillary's accomplishments, start one ...

Just another water carrier for the PNAC crowd. He couldn't have chosen a better slogan than"For a New American Century." I wonder if Bill Kristol, Max Boot, and the rest of that criminal lot are getting royalties.

I actually applauded Rubio for taking on a very controversial issue, going against his party, and putting forth a solution ... but then he backed down. In other words, when the going got tough, he folded.

He has no support & saw the truth of the matter. He took a stand, what'd Obama do, besides vote " present " , & gear up for a run at the WH ?

Oh, he did talk down to President Bush on how unpatriotic raising the debt was, before raising it even more & doing exactly what he said W shouldn't .

I agree that the plan he backed had some good merits. I think it could have been tweaked a bit here or there but it was a good starting point. But at some point you see the handwriting on the wall. The hair-on-fire-about-everything wing of the Tea Party ginned up enough opposition that it was dead in the water. You can call it backing down or you could call it not fighting a losing battle. I still think it shows a willingness to work on the issue and an ability to see reality rather than some unattainable ideal like most of his party seems to be chasing.

Rob, i hear you on Rubio.

But lets be very honest here. What id BHO accomplish as a Senator, State or National, other than a whole lot of "Present" votes?

BHO, at this same point in his political career had not done anything like Rubio. He hadnt even put forth a plan of any sort on any topic.

Rubio was Speaker of the FL House. He pushed thru Bills and Laws. He brokered deals and governed.

He has played in national politics at the highest levels. He had to change his opinion, but at least he had explained an opinion to change from.

I agree that the plan he backed had some good merits. I think it could have been tweaked a bit here or there but it was a good starting point. But at some point you see the handwriting on the wall. The hair-on-fire-about-everything wing of the Tea Party ginned up enough opposition that it was dead in the water. You can call it backing down or you could call it not fighting a losing battle. I still think it shows a willingness to work on the issue and an ability to see reality rather than some unattainable ideal like most of his party seems to be chasing.

Well Titan what us hair-on-fire-about-everything tea party people have learned, from past experience, is that all these so called comprehensive immigration bills do is give us the amnesty up front and then the security aspect never materializes. All we ever said was get the border and immigration system under control first. Demonstrate that and then we'd gladly talk about what to do with the ones that were already here. They were never going to be deported and nobody ever said we would. Actually we don't need any new laws. What we need is enforcement of laws on the books already.

This is really fascinating to me ... how come Rubio "defenders" (side note, believe it or not, I actually like the guy ... I want to hear more on his positions/plans/etc. but there's some things I admire about him) aren't putting forward his "accomplishments?" Instead, all we've heard throughout this whole thread is 'yeah but Hillary ... yeah but Obama ...' ... telling.

See what you want to see.

Well Titan what us hair-on-fire-about-everything tea party people have learned, from past experience, is that all these so called comprehensive immigration bills do is give us the amnesty up front and then the security aspect never materializes. All we ever said was get the border and immigration system under control first. Demonstrate that and then we'd gladly talk about what to do with the ones that were already here. They were never going to be deported and nobody ever said we would. Actually we don't need any new laws. What we need is enforcement of laws on the books already.

The bill in question specifically addressed that and made any moves toward legal residency or citizenship contingent upon the various security triggers being in place. The nutbars still shouted it down.

Archived