2017 4* DB Tray Bishop (UGA 1/1/17)

WarDamnEagleWDE

When was the last time that the state of Alabama had a 5* HS QB?  ....or even a highly regarded 4*?   Maybe JW ?  Other than him, who? 

As long as we mostly confine out recruiting to such a small region we are going to have to take what the area produces.  JMO but once we go out of state for any recruit at any position we don't have an advantage over other SEC schools. 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If UGA can go to Washington State, Ole Miss can go to Louisiana, and Tennessee can go to New Jersey to sign the nations top quarterbacks, we have to find a way. 

If we had just put Dcraig as qbs coach none of this would of been a problem. he would of had us so may big time qb prospects. But no gus and rhett want that to be their pet project and you see where that has got us. I honestly thnk qbs just do not want to go here. They look at Gus offense as a run first offense which it is and they think its just basically 1 step above the triple option at ga tech where they would barely get any chance to sling it around.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They look at Gus offense as a run first offense which it is and they think its just basically 1 step above the triple option at ga tech where they would barely get any chance to sling it around.

I'm not disagreeing with you but pointing out that our WR recruiting has not done near as poorly as the QB recruiting and you'd think both would be just as skeptical. What's with the disparity?

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you but pointing out that our WR recruiting has not done near as poorly as the QB recruiting and you'd think both would be just as skeptical. What's with the disparity?

D craig. I expect the WR recruiting to be equally as hard to get elite talent now. Great recruiters can get anyone for any system even when it makes little sense. If I take off my orange and blue glasses I know KD, NCM and Stove would of been better suited for a offense that knows what the forward pass is. I truly look at Dcraig as the best recruiter in the country pound for pound. He would do great almost everywhere.

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

D craig. I expect the WR recruiting to be equally as hard to get elite talent now. Great recruiters can get anyone for any system even when it makes little sense. If I take off my orange and blue glasses I know KD, NCM and Stove would of been better suited for a offense that knows what the forward pass is. I truly look at Dcraig as the best recruiter in the country pound for pound. He would do great almost everywhere.

I wish we still had DC. He could sell ice to the eskimo populations. And it's not like people dont have to complain about drops these days.. might as well have him back.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I wish we still had DC. He could sell ice to the eskimo populations. And it's not like people dont have to complain about drops these days might as well have him back.

well said. I wish we had him as QB coach and OC! When Gus is coaching at some non power 5 school in the not so distant future he will look back at choosing rhett over DC as his single greatest mistake at Auburn.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

well said. I wish we had him as QB coach and OC! When Gus is coaching at some non power 5 school in the not so distant future he will look back at choosing rhett over DC as his single greatest mistake at Auburn.

He didn't choose Rhett over DC. Even if Rhett had left, DC would not have stayed. He was gone 3/4 through the season.

Just now, bigbird said:

He didn't chips Rhett over DC. Even if Rhett had left, DC would not have stayed. He was gone 3/4 through the season.

that L is on Gus either way then.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

that L is on Gus either way then.

Sometimes, in coaching, what you think is going to be a good fit just isn't. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Sometimes, in coaching, what you think is going to be a good fit just isn't. 

All I got out of that is gus wants yes men on his side of the ball for the most part. He could not handle DC alpha male.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Well, while "he was gone,"  he left us four presents in NCM, Kyle Davis, Eli Stove, and Marquis McClain. 

also got us ryan davis and slayton in previous years. THANK YOU DC.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Well, while "he was gone,"  he left us four presents in NCM, Kyle Davis, Eli Stove, and Marquis McClain. 

Just because a coach knows he is leaving doesn't mean he stops doing his job. That would be the number one way not to get another job

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just because a coach knows he is leaving doesn't mean he stops doing his job. That would be the number one way not to get another job

First of all, I don't believe "he was gone 3/4th through the season." If he was, he easily could've known his landing spot by then as well. A courtship of the four players to the school couldve been easy.

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

First of all, I don't believe "he was gone 3/4th through the season." If he was, he easily could've known his landing spot by then as well. A courtship of the four players to the school couldve been easy.

I honestly don't give a flip what you believe or not. This is what happened and has been corroborated by many others that know the situation. The reason a courtship wouldn't happen as you suggest is that it would be very shady and very unprofessional. If a coach recruited to another school while employed by another it would be a very black eye for both the coach and the school. Once one is at another school things become different

I understand Craig's recruiting skills but I sure can't remember any QBs that he either recruited or developed .....anywhere?     And not sure what he is doing at LSU but watching their offense this season I sure would not want my name associated with it in any way......

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I understand Craig's recruiting skills but I sure can't remember any QBs that he either recruited or developed .....anywhere?     And not sure what he is doing at LSU but watching their offense this season I sure would not want my name associated with it in any way......

he was the point man on winston and was the only reason they got him.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This is what happened and has been corroborated by many others that know the situation.

And I don't give a flip who corroborated it unless DC, our coaches, or somebody with verifiable credibility and less anonymous than "others" can verify the information. That's my rule. Saying that "others" has corroborated it isn't going to cut it.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The reason a courtship wouldn't happen as you suggest is that it would be very shady and very unprofessional. I

Craig didn't have to finish the last quarter of the season either. He very easily could've pulled a Muschamp which courted Cowart and Holland to Auburn from his relationships built upon at Florida.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

he was the point man on winston and was the only reason they got him.

I guess .....but that was 5 or 6 years ago.....and anyway, Jimbo was his coach and I recall reading that the main reason he went to FSU was because it was not AU or bama.....and he could play baseball.

I don't think DC leaving had any negative effect on AU ...or beneficial effect to LSU ...yet....

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess .....but that was 5 or 6 years ago.....and anyway, Jimbo was his coach and I recall reading that the main reason he went to FSU was because it was not AU or bama.....

I don't think DC leaving had any negative effect on AU ...or beneficial effect to LSU ...yet....

they got ausbon the stud wr from texas because of him right after he got to lsu. You cannot deny his recruiting ability. it is flawless almost.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

When was the last time that the state of Alabama had a 5* HS QB?  ....or even a highly regarded 4*?   Maybe JW ?  Other than him, who? 

As long as we mostly confine out recruiting to such a small region we are going to have to take what the area produces.  JMO but once we go out of state for any recruit at any position we don't have an advantage over other SEC schools. 

The next two years the top QB's in the nation is from Georgia.  Don't have to go anywhere to get one of those.    

Great recruiter. He's not an offensive coordinator no matter how much you like him. No experience there, and I don't know anyone who thinks he's going to have playcalling duties anywhere in the near future. Why do you think that is? I don't want to hire a guy to a job he's unqualified for just to keep him as a recruiter. Thanks but no thanks. 

In full disclosure, Craig rubs me wrong. He seems like a dude looking out for number one at all times. I think he and Trooper dislike each other because they're cut from the same clothe. I'll pass on both. 

12 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, why cant we land one?

To be honest the dual QBs coming out of high school the past few years have been weak overall. There have been exceptions like Hurts and Lamar but they are exceptions. Still Gus & Rhett have evaluated and recruited questionably but the talent pool has not been great either.

Archived