***Auburn 27 Jacksonville State 20 (OT) Postgame Thread***

RunInRed

Did Cowart play? I was trying to work and watch the game so I could have missed him, but I don't remember him making a play.

Saw him once and he either whiffed on a tackle or the guy ran right by him.

I saw him on one play, and I'm pretty sure he got pressure.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to go all stream of consciousness up in this mug...

This is not a well coached team. I'm a coach- a very successful one- and I see a team with no identity who lacks basic fundamental skills. Team chemistry is also lacking.

Jeremy Johnson has been absolutely horrible but I'm not ready to completely give up on him just yet. Let's see how he does down in Red Stick before writing him off.

Oline is very bad.

Peyton Barber is who I thought he was.

Roc Thomas is not an SEC caliber back.

Rhett Lashlee is absolutely dead weight. He is useless. Never forget that his useless face graces the cover of our media guide.

Our defense looks absolutely lost at times. I'm not willing to give Boom a throwaway season to get it turned around.

Gus should've pulled Jeremy. Baffling decision to leave him in. Makes me truly wonder about Sean White.

Rudy Ford is big time. He and Barber have stepped up.

Auburn does not develop football players. This hurts, I know, but it's the truth. If I was a big time recruit I would seriously question this staff's ability to get me to the next level.

Shon Coleman isn't very good.

Montravious Adams is finally showing just how good he is.

I don't think Gus is the right man for this job. I think he attempts to hide his deficiencies with gimmicks and those deficiencies are starting to shine through.

Dang Chimes..you went full melt bro. lol.

I felt like "D" improved from last week. They give up 10 at the half. should have been 21, 28, 35-10 by then. The "D" only give up 3 for the most part of the second half. The "D" line up was hit hard by injuries but I still believe they got better. Offense appears to be lost. O-line plays like girls, game is WAY,WAY too fast for JJ, coaches don't know how to best utilize the talent we do have. No offensive identity what so ever.

How can we not have an offensive identity? People have labeled Gus an offensive genius. We have a lot of very talented players yet we see crap on the field again this week?

How else would you describe the offensive issues?

Are we play action, read option, power running, short passing, spread, HUNH??? We have TRIED to recruit for almost all these??? End up having good talent largely standing on the sidelines. Which of these offenses our talent is best suited, I don't know, and I fear Gus don't either. Sad really.

For those who say Jax St. is really good. WRONG! Just wait and see how they do the rest of the season. They'll be just like UL who lost today. JSU gets credit but REALLY. We have a ton of work to do. Plain and simple.

They are good and very well coached. They have a SEC dline littered with FBS transfers, and they execute very well offensively. I know this team needs work, not sure what happened today but when it mattered the team rose up. 2-0, with a tremendous drive for the team to get better, they know they can't roll into BR, and expect to win with a performance like today.

Maybe but i saw people on here hype up UL after last week. What did they do today? Not buying it with JSU.

Everything I said last week, again.

Oh yeah. You were one of the ones I was giving my heartfelt apology to in the game thread.

'preciate it. I was hoping I was wrong.

This is not a well coached team. I'm a coach- a very successful one- and I see a team with no identity who lacks basic fundamental skills. Team chemistry is also lacking.

Jeremy Johnson has been absolutely horrible but I'm not ready to completely give up on him just yet. Let's see how he does down in Red Stick before writing him off.

Oline is very bad.

Rhett Lashlee is absolutely dead weight. He is useless. Never forget that his useless face graces the cover of our media guide.

Our defense looks absolutely lost at times. I'm not willing to give Boom a throwaway season to get it turned around.

Gus should've pulled Jeremy. Baffling decision to leave him in. Makes me truly wonder about Sean White.

Auburn does not develop football players. This hurts, I know, but it's the truth. If I was a big time recruit I would seriously question this staff's ability to get me to the next level.

I don't think Gus is the right man for this job. I think he attempts to hide his deficiencies with gimmicks and those deficiencies are starting to shine through.

Youre nowhere near as successful as a coach as Gus is and you never will be. Stop with the nonsense

Do I coach at the same level as Gus? Absolutely not. Do I make anything close to what Gus makes? Absolutely not. Do I think that I'll ever reach the heights of my profession that Gus has? Probably not. Do I have over a .900 winning percentage in my 3 years as a coach? Yep. Have all 3 of my teams been championship teams with 2 finishing their seasons in the top 2% of all the teams in the country? Yep.

I could go on.

I never said I'm Gus Malzahn but I am a very successful coach who knows how to get EVERYTHING out of a team.

I felt like "D" improved from last week. They give up 10 at the half. should have been 21, 28, 35-10 by then. The "D" only give up 3 for the most part of the second half. The "D" line up was hit hard by injuries but I still believe they got better. Offense appears to be lost. O-line plays like girls, game is WAY,WAY too fast for JJ, coaches don't know how to best utilize the talent we do have. No offensive identity what so ever.

How can we not have an offensive identity? People have labeled Gus an offensive genius. We have a lot of very talented players yet we see crap on the field again this week?

How else would you describe the offensive issues?

Conservative game plan. JJ's inability to read coverages and the seemingly weak O Line is concerning moving forward.

Just wait till JJ faces a true SEC defense next week, they will confuse the hell outta that kid.

Oline is very bad.

I was with you most of the way til the gimmicks. Gus has gone away from the trickery, pace, misdirection, motion, counters, and creativity. This is why he is underachieving, along with a lack of intensity that guides meaningful progress.

This is NOT a new problem.

This is why we lost the last games last year.

Play calling and the fact Gus has no rhythm nor no idea what to call.

Watch the Wisconsin game. Our last three games our opponents should have been worn out by U.S.

I read the excuses....players are young are learning.

All crap. That one the recruiting rankings are bull. Top 10 each year and we can't handle Louisville or jack state. What the world?

Then u have Johnson for 2 years in the system and this is all you get.

Development, injuries, lack of preparation, play calling....all point to guys running the show.

That is our problem.

1. Our QB isn't as good as we thought he was

2. Our RBs aren't as good as we thought they were

3. Carl Lawson can't stay healthy, and without him our Defense can't play for some reason.

4. Our team couldn't have been more disinterested in playing this game, and it showed from the start.

Ummmmm Peyton Barber is pretty damn good

Peyton Barber is EVERYTHING right now for us. You can put blame on the Oline for not being consistent.

Barber has been good so far, but you can't tell me our RB corps is anything great. We don't have anything approaching a Derrick Henry or Nick Chubb, or even a Tre Mason.

Oline is very bad.

I held it in all game. Felt like a shaken up coke bottle ready to spew.

Oline is very bad.

Youre nowhere near as successful as a coach as Gus is and you never will be. Stop with the nonsense

Do I coach at the same level as Gus? Absolutely not. Do I make anything close to what Gus makes? Absolutely not. Do I think that I'll ever reach the heights of my profession that Gus has? Probably not. Do I have over a .900 winning percentage in my 3 years as a coach? Yep. Have all 3 of my teams been championship teams with 2 finishing their seasons in the top 2% of all the teams in the country? Yep.

I could go on.

I never said I'm Gus Malzahn but I am a very successful coach who knows how to get EVERYTHING out of a team.

Who do you coach? And I am assuming you are a HC,,,

For those who say Jax St. is really good. WRONG! Just wait and see how they do the rest of the season. They'll be just like UL who lost today. JSU gets credit but REALLY. We have a ton of work to do. Plain and simple.

They are good and very well coached. They have a SEC dline littered with FBS transfers, and they execute very well offensively. I know this team needs work, not sure what happened today but when it mattered the team rose up. 2-0, with a tremendous drive for the team to get better, they know they can't roll into BR, and expect to win with a performance like today.

Maybe but i saw people on here hype up UL after last week. What did they do today? Not buying it with JSU.

Im not buying the JSU hype either, we have a very poorly coached team. So sad

Oline is very bad.

He didn't say he was as successful as Gus or ever will be. But I'm not a coach and I can watch this team and see major deficiencies in this team and all of those deficiencies fall at the feet of Gus.

There is no excuse to be made for piss poor online production, and putting an ineffective/liability on the field at QB. There are no excuses left.

There should be no excuses but that half time and closing speach stunk as much His play calling.

Anyone's thoughts on gus throwing a true freshman rb into the fire in ot agaist jsu?

He played better than Roc IMO.

Sure all he did was get over 100 yds, catch a go ahead td. Fumble hurt his stock. Barber is the workhorse. Kerryon and Roc are the quick strike weapons

Oline is very bad.

Are you an SEC level coach? You say they don't develop players but yet you praise Ford, Monty and others. I guess Monty got better on his own and Ford a converted RB just figured the safety position out in his sleep. This same Gus took a team of doubters and led them to an SEC championship and near national title in year one. Gus has his system and believes in it, and has proven it works. An already new oline was subject to another shuffle in week two due to an injury. They are not terrible, they are learning to play against other teams and did a heck of a job getting AU back in the game. You say Gus should have pulled Jeremy but you also say you have not given up on him let's see how he does in Baton Rogue first? If Gus would have pulled him that might have been a sign of Gus giving up on him? Roc may not be an every down back but he can have an effective role in this offense, specifically in the passing game. I know the win was not the one any of us expected but a win nonetheless. Team grew up a bit today now on to the game that many believed was the true start to the season anyway...

Oline is very bad.

Let it flow Chimes. Damn sure better to let it out after a game like this than it is to try to make excuses for poor performance and try to prop Jacksonville State up as some kind of powerful oppoenent.

Oline is very bad.

Yep. Especially what's in red. Once you realize that JJ has the physical attributes to call a play, and hand off or throw a ball to a spot, and nothing more, you'll be rethinking the your position.

Anyone's thoughts on gus throwing a true freshman rb into the fire in ot agaist jsu?

He played better than Roc IMO.

Did he catch like two passes...outside of Roc not protecting the ball what was so bad about his performance?

If something doesn't change we are staring 4 - 8 dead in the face. Gus has based that whole offense on JJ throwing the ball and he is all over the place with his throws. One more lob right into coverage and he needs to be on the bench. He looked great as a backup but now that it is his team he has almost cost us the first two games. The defense desperately needs Lawson and Matthews back on the field and Sean White better start warming up.

Oline is very bad.

Props.

Oline is very bad.

I could go on.

Who do you coach? And I am assuming you are a HC,,,

I'd rather not say (internet and anonymity) but I will say that I had to turn down an offer from Auburn's head coach to coach AU camps over the summer because I was coaching my team to a title at the national championship.

I don't know everything but I do know coaching/team dynamics. And yes, I'm a head coach.

Oline is very bad.

I'm usually on the same page with my boy chimes, but I have to disagree with some of this stuff

Archived