For Those Making the Trip to Baton Rouge

PythagoreanTiger

I have been to 6 Auburn LSU games in Baton Rouge, and have seen horrific things. The one that still gets me angry happened during the tiger walk to the stadium. Auburn Tiger Walk that is. A young man who was close to the end of his life from brain cancer, had the opportunity to walk with the team. He was walking with the team during the tiger walk, and an LSU fan heaved an opened glass bottle of beer that hit the young man in his head.

There are others who saw this as well. It was during the 90s. I am pretty sure that it was the night game where Damien Craig directed the team to a last second victory in BR. This was payback in my mind for the young man who suffer the hit from the beer bottle.

I know there are many nice LSU fans that treat opposing teams with respect. I have been treated well there and have eaten some of the best tailgate food on the planet there. Probably 90% of the LSU fans are great folks that only want to have a good time and are willing to share some of the fun with Auburn fans and maybe give a hotdog that fell to the ground to a bammer fan!

97,only time i was there. I enjoyed it . didn't see tiger walk, glad i didn't.

• 2 years later...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/16/2015 at 11:12 AM, FoundationEagle said:

I know 2 guys that were hospitalized in 1999 after being jumped by 8-10 beligerant drunk corn dogs simply because they were wearing Auburn shirts. They started getting harrassed by groups of people the whole way out of the stadium, and while trying to keep their heads down and get to their car they were attacked. One spent a few weeks in the hospital.

Of course, it's been better since then but ONLY because we haven't won. Should we win, the horror stories will be as bad or worse than ever I'm sure. After 99, I declared to NEVER EVER EVER give money to the LSU stadium period...meaning not even accepting free tickets (still would spend money on concessions...and probably bail!)

Right there says it all.

Oh, that's right, some clown said LSU fans aren't bad and that anyone who says otherwise is a crybaby or started it themselves. Really put all those misconceptions about Red Stick to bed with that.

I don't doubt that bad things have happened to people, but I've never seen it in my trips there.  As others have said, you'll get "Tiger Baited" a bunch.  Just laugh and move on.

For those going for the first time, here's a fun story:

My first trip to Baton Rouge was in 2005.  Myself and a few friends were walking around just checking the place out, when an LSU fan screamed "Hey Auburn!  We're gonna kick your mother (bleeping) ass today.  Now come over here and have a drink!"  That tailgate was freaking great.  Free Abita, free food, and TV to watch Bama / Tennessee.  And the people couldn't have been nicer.

My second trip was with my step-dad in 2009.  We hopped from one random tailgate to another offering to buy a beer off of whoever was there.  Never once did they take my cash, but damn if we didn't eat some good food and have a quenched thirst before heading into the game.  One spot was smoking a whole hog for a pig pickin'.  So, so good.

One side story:  LSU/AU 2014 in JHS.  I had tickets in the upper deck LSU section.  I'm literally sitting around nothing but LSU fans.  Besides winning, I had so much fun with those folks.  Watched one guy dressed in a purple pimp outfit buy $100 worth of cotton candy and then just start throwing it out to folks in the stands.

The key to all of these stories is don't act like a jerk.  Take a ribbing, have fun, laugh, understand that someone may flip you off or cuss at you (their humor really is different), and you'll most likely have a great experience.  And if we win, shut up and walk back to the car.  Save the stogies until you're somewhere less crowded with LSU fans.  Better yet, head to NOLA and party!  It is a day game after all.

My one trip was great too. Didn't get there in time for tailgating but as usual they talked smack before the game, went quietly after their asswhoopin. I was once embarrassed to be an auburn fan in 2003 USC game. One of our own was being very disrespectful to a lady USC fan who had gotten separated from her group. I keep that in mind every time I hear a story that generalizes another fan base. 

I loved the result of the 1999 game but post-game incidents determined that I would never again set foot in Red Stick.

I have been lurking on this board for well over a decade now and the one thing that sticks out in my mind through the years regarding Baton Rouge is that LSU fans throw urine soaked nerf footballs at opposing fans :laugh:. Am I the only one that remembers reading this? Pretty certain I read that prior to sometime between '03-'08

Hilarious as a story, appalling if true though.

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

My one trip was great too. Didn't get there in time for tailgating but as usual they talked smack before the game, went quietly after their asswhoopin. I was once embarrassed to be an auburn fan in 2003 USC game. One of our own was being very disrespectful to a lady USC fan who had gotten separated from her group. I keep that in mind every time I hear a story that generalizes another fan base. 

Well, there's generalizing a fanbase, and then there's acknowledging that you hear a LOT more of those stories about certain fan bases. And, in my case and obviously the case of several others who have posted in this thread, there's actually experiencing it and not just hearing stories when it comes to the corndogs. The frequency and severity of the stories of mistreatment in Red Stick are simply much higher than most other places. And then you get people like the OP who say that anyone who says so is a baby or brought it on themselves, and it really erodes any desire to offer the benefit of the doubt. In fact, the angry, blind defense of the fans down there and the emotional reaction when anyone merely states that their experience sucked... which I've found isn't unique to the OP... really comes across as a baby... bringing it upon himself. 

Put another way, I absolutely believe every good story I hear about BR. It's just disappointing when others refuse to believe the bad ones. 

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well, there's generalizing a fanbase, and then there's acknowledging that you hear a LOT more of those stories about certain fan bases. And, in my case and obviously the case of several others who have posted in this thread, there's actually experiencing it and not just hearing stories when it comes to the corndogs. The frequency and severity of the stories of mistreatment in Red Stick are simply much higher than most other places. And then you get people like the OP who say that anyone who says so is a baby or brought it on themselves, and it really erodes any desire to offer the benefit of the doubt. In fact, the angry, blind defense of the fans down there and the emotional reaction when anyone merely states that their experience sucked... which I've found isn't unique to the OP... really comes across as a baby... bringing it upon himself. 

Put another way, I absolutely believe every good story I hear about BR. It's just disappointing when others refuse to believe the bad ones. 

I believe the bad ones. I just don't let it steer me into thinking we don't have our own a**holes.. Right now there are several people in Southern California who feel the same way about Auburn fans. Unless she includes the part of the story where I intervened and apologized for the behavior of a jerk I didn't know from Adam. who was only wearing the same color shirt as myself..

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

I believe the bad ones. I just don't let it steer me into thinking we don't have our own a**holes.. Right now there are several people in Southern California who feel the same way about Auburn fans. Unless she includes the part of the story where I intervened and apologized for the behavior of a jerk I didn't know from Adam. who was only wearing the same color shirt as myself..

Oh, I wasn't referring to you with that particular comment.

As for our a**hole that you encountered in 2003, are you sure that lady just wasn't being a baby or bringing it upon herself? Because that's what the OP would tell you if you'd witnessed a corndog doing the same thing in Red Stick. And that's what set me off in this thread. 

Of course Auburn has problem fans. It's true that all do. That fact and the fact that LSU has more and that theirs are on a different level are in no way mutually exclusive. 

Have never been to a game in BR but my experiences with LSU fans in Auburn has been positive.  Been to several games at JHS including the night the barn burned!  I do remember before that game a buddy who went with me was walking around constantly yelling "LS WHO?? LS WHO?  and finally we passed one group of LSU fans with a guy who came up to my friend after he had just yelled LS WHO one more time and yelled back in his face U MFer! U!!!  I laughed but my buddy was ready to fight.  The LSU guy just laughed and put his hand out and they shook and all was good.  Other than that they have been cool to be around...in Auburn.  I'm sure it can be different in BR. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, I wasn't referring to you with that particular comment.

As for our a**hole that you encountered in 2003, are you sure that lady just wasn't being a baby or bringing it upon herself? Because that's what the OP would tell you if you'd witnessed a corndog doing the same thing in Red Stick. And that's what set me off in this thread. 

Of course Auburn has problem fans. It's true that all do. That fact and the fact that LSU has more and that theirs are on a different level are in no way mutually exclusive. 

No I'm sure. She was walking into or toward the stadium down Donahue. She looked to be Somoan or maybe Spanish. Cute but full figured. Guy was right behind her kept loudly pointing out the size of her ass. She was trying to ignore him and eventually in tears. She may be related to a player. She had a jersey on but I didn't recognize the number. I slowed her down and walked her the rest of the way. 

I think I know you well enough to know you weren't referring to me. I am usually proud of our fan base but I'll never forget that. I am reminded of it every time I hear us bash another fan base. 

17 minutes ago, alexava said:

No I'm sure. She was walking into or toward the stadium down Donahue. She looked to be Somoan or maybe Spanish. Cute but full figured. Guy was right behind her kept loudly pointing out the size of her ass. She was trying to ignore him and eventually in tears. She may be related to a player. She had a jersey on but I didn't recognize the number. I slowed her down and walked her the rest of the way. 

I think I know you well enough to know you weren't referring to me. I am usually proud of our fan base but I'll never forget that. I am reminded of it every time I hear us bash another fan base. 

Humm maybe Troy Polamalu mom

53 minutes ago, alexava said:

Thanks for being a cool person. Not just in terms of representing our fanbase better than that other a-hole, but in general. For real. I'll quit dragging you into my issues with others lol.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks for being a cool person. Not just in terms of representing our fanbase better than that other a-hole, but in general. For real. I'll quit dragging you into my issues with others lol.

*one internet GITM for you*

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

?

Internet beer rewards...just an obscure, silly little game. (GITM=Ghost in the Machine by Parish, a Louisiana brewery)

*ETA- where you don’t actually get a beer. Well, I guess you might, but only if you happen to be drinking a beer. Geeze, I’m rambling again.

Bartender!

10 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Internet beer rewards...just an obscure, silly little game. (GITM=Ghost in the Machine by Parish, a Louisiana brewery)

*ETA- where you don’t actually get a beer. Well, I guess you might, but only if you happen to be drinking a beer. Geeze, I’m rambling again.

Bartender!

Today is my last of four on the beach in Destin. I was finishing my last beer about the time I sent that question mark. So we are on the same wavelength I guess. 

On 9/13/2015 at 2:09 PM, PythagoreanTiger said:

I have been to more Auburn/LSU games than I can count, as I am an alumnus of both schools. It's my absolute favorite weekend every year. I wanted to give some suggestions for Auburn fans making the trip from the perspective of dual Tiger who lived in Baton Rouge for several years. Hopefully this is helpful to those who are making the trip for the first time or looking for new things to do on a return trip.

Hotels

It's probably too late for this, but I thought I'd share just in case you're still looking for a place to stay on the off chance there's any availability. Any of the hotels off of the College Dr. exit (Corporate Blvd. & Constitution Ave.) are good. Any of the downtown hotels will be too--especially if you're looking to be able to walk to and from the 3rd St. bars. Those are pretty much as close as you can get to campus. The hotels off Essen and Bluebonnet are fine too, but they're farther from campus and any fun nightlife. I don't recommend going any farther north or east due to distance, convenience, and/or safety. If you can't find anything there, NOLA or Hammond area are your best bets.

Food & Drinks

Baton Rouge has some good restaurants and fun bars. Unfortunately they are rarely located within walking distance of each other and are almost never within walking distance from your hotel. A non-exhaustive list of restaurant recommendations includes Chimes, Parrain's, Chelsea's, George's, Sammy’s, and Bistro Byronz. For non-cajun/creole cuisine, I’d recommend City Pork or The Rum House. I also highly recommend Mason’s (or Chimes) for brunch on Sunday.

As far as bar recommendations go, it depends on what you're looking for. The 3rd St. bars are fun and have a nice variety of options and are good for bar hopping. Tigerland and Bogie’s might be appealing if you're college aged or not too far removed. There are also random bars elsewhere in the city that are cool like The Bulldog, Olive or Twist, and Radio Bar. Bars within short walking distance to campus include Chimes, Walk-Ons, and Tigerland.

Game Day

Get to campus early as the parking situation is terrible and fills up quickly. They've changed the rules since the last time Auburn played in BR. You can no longer park on the streets and essentially all of the on-campus lots are paid with the exception of the Old Front Nine, Hart, and Parker Coliseum lots which all fill up by 9ish for big games and the Levee & Hayfield lots which fill up not that much later. Some of the lots behind the law school and around the lab school are also free. There are also a couple lots on the perimeter of campus that aren't paid but they're a bit of a hike. There are also several places that you can pay on campus without a parking pass. This is a good option if you want convenient parking and spending that money isn't an issue for you. Post-game traffic is all contraflow and is absolutely terrible, so if you have a tailgate to go back to after the game and let time pass then do it. Basically, if you're parked south of the stadium you will be forced to leave south, and similarly if you're parked to the north. Here's a parking map to help give you an idea:

PTCADDTCVEEPIGH.20150720164105.jpg

Tailgating at LSU is an absolute blast. The horror stories that circulate about LSU fans are from babies. Yes, you'll be tiger baited (even though it's not exactly logical when Auburn and LSU play). It's just an LSU tradition. Smile and wave and you will likely be offered food and drinks. LSU fans will also make comments about the shakers (but will call them "pom-poms"). No need to be upset here, either. LSU doesn't use shakers so the fans think it's weird. Smile and wave and you will likely be offered food and drinks. Outside of that, you should not have any problems unless you actively try to find them and/or create them. Just like every fan base, there are duds (typically a subset of the student population and some of the sidewalk fans). Ignore them and interact with the 99% of LSU fans who just want to have a good time with you.

LSU has one of the prettiest campuses in the SEC so take some time to just walk around and enjoy it. People tailgate everywhere, but places of interest (depending on your age and what you're looking for) include the Parade Ground and the Old Front Nine. Tiger Walk is always located at gates 11 & 12 on the southeast corner of the stadium about two hours before kickoff. After that’s over, I recommend walking to the north side of the stadium to watch the Tiger Band march down the hill. Try to be in the stadium no less than 40 minutes before kickoff to ensure you see all of LSU’s pregame traditions like Mike (even though he didn’t want to get in his cage for any games last year…), Callin’ Baton Rouge, Louisiana Saturday Night, and pregame. Death Valley is one of the best gameday atmospheres in the country, especially at night. Unfortunately it’s a 2:30 kickoff and will be hotter than hell, but it should still be a good time.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing everyone there! :cheers:

IMG_2465.JPG

Pythagorean, not going, but wow on the fantastic info!! Been to BR once for a conference. Loved it. Loved the. LSU campus. There are some great beignet places to be found, as well. Nice area to walk by river. Yours is travel-blog worthy!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

14 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Bartender!

Well then,

you get an internet PBR 

• 2 years later...

For any first timers making the trip, do not (and I mean DO NOT) ask local LSU fans why they smell like corn dogs. Just don't do it.  Yes, of course they do smell that way. But pretend not to notice. OK? OK!

Archived