Contrasting Programs

mom2kid

It has been a difficult 3 weeks for AU fans where so much enthusiasm and excitement has turned into huge disappointment and concern over the direction of the program. Watching the Ole Miss-Bama game really served as a reminder of how far this team is from playing competitive SEC football but even more, how off this team is compared to Ole Miss. Chad Kelly is playing the way JJ was supposed to play. Their offense is playing fast and in rhythm. Their defense is fast and physical.

I for one have always questioned RG and I continue to believe that our Dline play and recruiting greatly lags. I now question RL as O and QB coach. It really bothered me when Gus and Rhett refused to let Marshall get one on one training with Whitfield. It would have been to help with mechanics. In spite of coaches declarations, NM was not better year 2. This year we continue to not only question the play-calling, we have major questions about JJ (the hype, the hype, the failures, the lack of development).

Our recruiting has brought in highly rated O players; we've lagged more in D recruiting. I believe WM,TR, and LT will recruit much better D players. But top recruits know what coaches will develop them for the NFL. We will not attract elite D line until we replace RG. As for the offense, elite WRs don't sign because they dont see us as having a killer passing attack. This year won't change that. UGA brings in elite QBs each year and yet their starter is a transfer. We apparently don't have a replacement for JJ on the team. Elite QBs are not signing with AU. Now let's be clear, we have enough talent to be competitive. There is no excuse for the play of this team. But player development or lack of is now a major concern.

It has been a difficult 3 weeks for AU fans where so much enthusiasm and excitement has turned into huge disappointment and concern over the direction of the program. Watching the Ole Miss-Bama game really served as a reminder of how far this team is from playing competitive SEC football but even more, how off this team is compared to Ole Miss. Chad Kelly is playing the way JJ was supposed to play. Their offense is playing fast and in rhythm. Their defense is fast and physical.

I for one have always questioned RG and I continue to believe that our Dline play and recruiting greatly lags. I now question RL as O and QB coach. It really bothered me when Gus and Rhett refused to let Marshall get one on one training with Whitfield. It would have been to help with mechanics. In spite of coaches declarations, NM was not better year 2. This year we continue to not only question the play-calling, we have major questions about JJ (the hype, the hype, the failures, the lack of development).

Our recruiting has brought in highly rated O players; we've lagged more in D recruiting. I believe WM,TR, and LT will recruit much better D players. But top recruits know what coaches will develop them for the NFL. We will not attract elite D line until we replace RG. As for the offense, elite WRs don't sign because they dont see us as having a killer passing attack. This year won't change that. UGA brings in elite QBs each year and yet their starter is a transfer. We apparently don't have a replacement for JJ on the team. Elite QBs are not signing with AU. Now let's be clear, we have enough talent to be competitive. There is no excuse for the play of this team. But player development or lack of is now a major concern.

Great post. I agree with everything you've said.

OM..."Their defense is fast and physical."

True...and they gave up over 500 yards to a bama team with two mediocre QBs......which was more yards than AU allowed LSU just for the record.....and though LSU did a much better job of pounding us on the ground, OM let bama average over 5 yards per carry on the ground.

I think the most accurate comment was about Kelly ...who left Clemson one step ahead of the law http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12064427/ex-clemson-tigers-qb-chad-kelly-arrested OM was about the only school to consider him.....but has managed to stay out of trouble at OM and as noted: looked very good....

JMO but the biggest difference was the "want to " factor ......OM definitely had it and AU looked in a hurry to get back home.

RG isn't off limits to losing a job. This could be his last season.

OM..."Their defense is fast and physical."

True...and they gave up over 500 yards to a bama team with two mediocre QBs......which was more yards than AU allowed LSU just for the record.....and though LSU did a much better job of pounding us on the ground, OM let bama average over 5 yards per carry on the ground.

I think the most accurate comment was about Kelly ...who left Clemson one step ahead of the law http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12064427/ex-clemson-tigers-qb-chad-kelly-arrested OM was about the only school to consider him.....but has managed to stay out of trouble at OM and as noted: looked very good....

JMO but the biggest difference was the "want to " factor ......OM definitely had it and AU looked in a hurry to get back home.

Ole miss D also produced turnovers and sacks...big risk big reward, I don't have a problem with that

I just don't think you can compare Kelly to jj with the wr play Kelly gets. Kelly made throws that jj made that made you decide jj sucks. But since Kelly has wr who don't give up on plays, snatches passes out of db's hands catch passes in traffic, and shows leadership in critical situations, not to mention blocks 10 yds downfield, Kelly is a success??? They made the SAME throws.

I agree i think kelly has more help. At times coker looked better than jj too hitting some spot on throws in tough situations but had some really bad ones too. Of course it helps when you can turn and give it henry and rip off 5 or 6 whenever you want. We don't have that luxury right now. Jj is a big part of the problem but there are a ton of others.

Spot on. Sadly.

No it's not spot on. JJ was an elite QB. If you read this board Sean White is a can't miss and Tyler Queen will push Sean. Not sure if that's true but many "experts" on this board thought so. As for RG he has a lot if success at both GA and UT. I personally think we have only 1 guy in the D line that could play somewher else, Adams ( not counting CL since he is hurt). is that recruiting yes, but remember I believe coaches recruit by geographic areas and not by position. We continue to be small on defense and IMO not very strong. With all the injuries, strenght and conditioning becomes a question in my mind.

Spot on. Sadly.

No it's not spot on. JJ was an elite QB. If you read this board Sean White is a can't miss and Tyler Queen will push Sean. Not sure if that's true but many "experts" on this board thought so. As for RG he has a lot if success at both GA and UT. I personally think we have only 1 guy in the D line that could play somewher else, Adams ( not counting CL since he is hurt). is that recruiting yes, but remember I believe coaches recruit by geographic areas and not by position. We continue to be small on defense and IMO not very strong. With all the injuries, strenght and conditioning becomes a question in my mind.

I made the point that UGA brings on elite pro style QBs every year and yet they went out and brought in Lambert who won the spot. They knew the others were not up to par. So that begs the question, did our coaches not see JJ's shortcomings in practice. Did they really give JS and SW a fair shot to win the role? Are they unable to develop this elite talent?

Spot on. Sadly.

JJ was an elite QB. If you read this board Sean White is a can't miss and Tyler Queen will push Sean. Not sure if that's true but many "experts" on this board thought so.

LOL. Most of the "experts" on this board are far from experts.

The usual suspects show up every off season and declare that Auburn will go undefeated, have the next Heisman trophy winner and will the natty ever season. When in reality, they don't know anymore than you and I about who will do well and who will be a bust.

I chuckle when I read their posts because they are far from experts. They end up being wrong about 95% of the time and it doesn't take long for them to call for player's and coach's heads when the team starts to struggle. Yet if you call them out on their past posts, they attack you. It's comical really.

Spot on. Sadly.

You're entitled to your opinion....I'm entitled to scroll right past it....I will...Frankly, it makes no sense at all. Glad you don't coach......Sure we have injuries.....We also have SERIOUS player development and player evaluation issues...You just said in your opinion, minus CL we have one player on the D line that would play elsewhere......Sorry, big fella.....mostly the same thing many other people are saying....

Really a confusing reply on your part, no big deal though....Both opinions hold the same amount of sway on events. None.

Spot on. Sadly.

This. Injuries plus other teams look stronger, quicker and have more endurance. I'm never looking at another "look how so-and so's body has transformed in the off-season". Every team in the SEC has S&C programs and it appears we lag there.

That 2013 Auburn-Ole Miss game marked two teams that were going into opposite directions

Auburn peaked and got worse, OM ends up looking like one of the four best teams in the nation (which I believe they should be after clamping Alabama for 3 quarters and some change)

I must have watched another ole miss vs bama game last night. The game i saw was a game that the better team didnt win. Three fumbles on speacial teams and two fluke plays for touchdowns. The refs cant seem to get the call right on the run pass play. Even auburns touchdown should have been called back. The tip pass off the helmet for touvhdown was ala, dogs vs auburn play.

And as far as last year goes, we were 6 inches from losing the game to ole miss. I dont know what is going on down on the plains, but something more troubling than talent level.

I must have watched another ole miss vs bama game last night. The game i saw was a game that the better team didnt win. Three fumbles on speacial teams and two fluke plays for touchdowns. The refs cant seem to get the call right on the run pass play. Even auburns touchdown should have been called back. The tip pass off the helmet for touvhdown was ala, dogs vs auburn play.

And as far as last year goes, we were 6 inches from losing the game to ole miss. I dont know what is going on down on the plains, but something more troubling than talent level.

Think I saw the game you saw......I went to sleep with OM up 20 just after the half (EST) and was pretty sure that bama would win the game. They moved the ball relentlessly ....except when they made mistakes....and OM got a season worth of lucky breaks in that game and still barely won.

I look for LSU to take care of business against Ole Miss.....JMO.

Archived