Duke Williams dismissed

mustache eagle

Duke played like a man amongst boys running in the middle against Alabama. He should've caught a pass in the end zone but he still played well on that gimpy leg. I remember a lot of bammers talking about how special of a player he was while walking out the stadium.

What could have been.

That just about sums it up right there.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sad situation ....can't remember ever seeing a case where AU people were glad to see a player with his potential dismissed from the team.

I can't say that I'm happy to see this happen but from what I've observed thus far this season the team is likely to be better off...at least there won't be the constant discussion about why he is not getting his share of receptions.

Too Bad.....all the way around.

Well this sucks.

I disagree 100%

you are in the loop?

I've been around the program......I hate that he failed to turn it around (he had his chances) but he had become a liability away from the ball.

away from field?

Both. He's a senior who doesn't block and lags on his routes if he thinks the ball isn't coming while the QB is running around looking for an open receiver. Then he can't keep away from a fight down town or in the dorms. Liability.

I think these type of dismissal midseason with no type of arrest or "violation of team rules" tells you the type a cancer he was to the team. Gus is at risk of losing this team (if he has not completely lost them already). Hate to see a guy with that has that type of talent completely throw it away. Hate to say it but it feels like a weight lifted, honestly.

This is a very smart post.....you can also put trust of the team

Well, now the million dollar question is, what does this do the relationship between Gus and Coach Craig??? Duke was his boy. How does Coach Craig react to his guy being dismissed mid-season, essentially ruining his chances at a degree and the NFL (possibly)?

Personally, I'm glad Gus did this. I have no inside information, but from my observations, Duke was a cancer to this team. I watched him running around the field, avoiding contact, running sloppy routes, dropping routine passes, etc. The most telling action he made was in the SJSU game, when he recovered the onside kick. He sprinted to the sidelines, jumping and celebrating, but the entire time had this smart-ass grin on his face. Something didn't set well with me on that.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens from here. I hope it's not a complete self-destruction, and I hope Coach Craig is onboard with Gus.

Well, I've been pretty vocal in calling for more accountability from the O players and wanting Gus to take a stand (no effort, no playing time). I feel bad for Duke, but he wasn't helping the team any. Probably better for Auburn that he is gone.

A sad situation ....can't remember ever seeing a case where AU people were glad to see a player with his potential dismissed from the team.

I can't say that I'm happy to see this happen but from what I've observed thus far this season the team is likely to be better off...at least there won't be the constant discussion about why he is not getting his share of receptions.

Too Bad.....all the way around.

I'd rather he have been a total 180.......waste of talent and future (still has a chance if he gets his head straight) at AU.

Yeah I hope he can get his act together. If not I do not feel sorry for him, he has had many chances and just didn't learn. Maybe this will finally get through to him.

Sadly, this is overdue by about 2 months. Really hoped for DWs sake he would make it work. Maybe he'll get a chance like DGB did after Mizzou cut him loose.

I was just thinking about that, the DGB situation and Duke. Yes, let us hope Duke can also do the same thing, for his sake. I had hoped after that last incident he would make it to the end of the season. I was really pulling for him to finish the season and get his degree. It's a sad day imo.

I wouldn't have guessed at this point in the season JJ would have folded like a cheap suit and Duke wouldn't even be on the team. Funny game is football stuff is. :)

Not sure how many chances he wanted but he exhausted them all ... as others have mentioned, he should have been gone on strike 2 ... looks like Malzahn and Co. finally had enough.

Let's not pretend like we could throw when he was here. It's a shame Gus and Co convinced him to stay abd wreck his NFL chances though.

This is on Duke, not Gus and Co.

It's mighty telling that no one this side of Hades is surprised.

I was surprised that Gus actually dismissed him.

:dunno:

I wonder if Gus will bring Michael Dyer back?????

Let's not pretend like we could throw when he was here. It's a shame Gus and Co convinced him to stay abd wreck his NFL chances though.

This is on Duke, not Gus and Co.

Oh definitely, I'm actually talking about not letting him know there was a qb on the team.

Some coach somewhere will pick him up and let him play regardless of any of this because that's CFB now. "Kids misstepping" means a lot more than it used to since the dollars are so much more now. Just see Michael Dyer and what Gus himself took on with that idiot.

We don't know what he did to get suspended and now to be dismissed but you have to bet he got a lot of rope. Too bad he used it to hang himself. We can only pray he turns his life around.

Archived