Part of the culture Muschamp is talking about is fear

Lowrider

O lines take the longest to jell and maturity is so important there. SG never knew what the hell rules he was breaking or cared. That is the type of attitude that leads to loss of control penalties for athletic departments. Glad he is gone.

It didn't take the UF O-line very long to jell.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's systemic, and the culture is established at the top.

I'm a Jesus freak, but Jay Jacobs is far better suited for Bible study small group than to run a $120 million business.

He fired the baseball coach last weak "for cause" that he would not explain. Some believe he was fired for being too hard on the players.

Oh, the explanation as Jacobs put it...

“My commitment will always be to provide the best student-athlete experience in the nation, and we will not accept anything less."

Bless his heart, lol.

Sunny Golloway lied about breaking NCAA rules and got caught! Jay did the right thing.......

There's a law suit coming that claims otherwise.

How many coaches have we blown through in the last dozen years? When an organization feels like a roller coaster ride of inconsistency, it's certain there's a problem at the top of it's leadership. Our athletic department is still run like a five and dime store. Just like Housel (who is as fine an Auburn man as there ever was), Jacobs was promoted for being a good foot soldier within the department. Just like Housel, Jacobs (who is also as fine an Auburn man as there ever was) is in over his head.

The players at Auburn don't fear the coaches. I don't mean physical fear just the fear of having to look your coach in the eye when you just completely blew your assignment. I remember back in the day when Dye was at Auburn and we had just won a big game, maybe it was Georgia or Bama I don't remember exactly. But they were interviewing an O-lineman and the first thing he said was how glad he was they got the win because he false started and killed a drive. He said when he was walking off the field all he could think about was "I hope coach Dye doesn't kill me". Obviously he was joking and said it with a smile but that's a winning culture. When your coaches will not accept anything but the best from you and you know it. Gus has to make his coaches expect more from these players. It will make the players better. Tough love is important in competition.

The players didn't "fear" Chiz but I can tell you they "fear" and respect CWM. Gus's I'm not real sure.

I'm a Jesus freak, but Jay Jacobs is far better suited for Bible study small group than to run a $120 million business.

He fired the baseball coach last weak "for cause" that he would not explain. Some believe he was fired for being too hard on the players.

“My commitment will always be to provide the best student-athlete experience in the nation, and we will not accept anything less."

Bless his heart, lol.

Sunny Golloway lied about breaking NCAA rules and got caught! Jay did the right thing.......

I'd sit back and wait on saying Sunny broke NCAA rules. IMO. This one could get very ugly.

The players at Auburn don't fear the coaches. I don't mean physical fear just the fear of having to look your coach in the eye when you just completely blew your assignment. I remember back in the day when Dye was at Auburn and we had just won a big game, maybe it was Georgia or Bama I don't remember exactly. But they were interviewing an O-lineman and the first thing he said was how glad he was they got the win because he false started and killed a drive. He said when he was walking off the field all he could think about was "I hope coach Dye doesn't kill me". Obviously he was joking and said it with a smile but that's a winning culture. When your coaches will not accept anything but the best from you and you know it. Gus has to make his coaches expect more from these players. It will make the players better. Tough love is important in competition.

The players didn't "fear" Chiz but I can tell you they "fear" and respect CWM. Gus's I'm not real sure.

I agree that the players definitely seem to respect CWM. However, some people think that instilling fear in players is a direct correlation to a winning culture. That is just not true. If that was the case then CWM would still be at UF. I think there is something to say about entitlement among a few players , but everything else seem to be embellished because AU is having a disappointing season to our standards .

What about CWM's D staff? Does he have buy in/respect from his entire D staff and is CWM satisfied with his staff?

wde

Well, with some teams, some coaches, there is a "fear of consequences." For example, at a place like Bama or tOSU, if you screw up, the coach will pull you and sit you down, and there's some other 5 star guy ready to step into your spot. And that means you may drop down in the rotation and may not play as much. Meyer demonstrated that when he pulled Cardell and sat him. Spurrier used to do that all the time. If you can't play your position, somebody else can.

Problem is, when you don't have the depth, it's really hard to do that. Duke should have been sat for his on field performance. And what do you think would have happened at Bama, UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, UF, if a defensive player had actually avoided making a tackle?

There needs to be some real accountability. Call it fear or consequences or whatever you want.

That only works with depth. We watched saban play a linebacker who was consistently in trouble when he was first hired. He never sat him. Why? Because there were no good players to take his place.

Coaches (even saban and meyer) will only sit players if someone as good or better is waiting. If not - they will play the troublemaker like everyone else until he does something so bad that the coaches are forced to part ways. That is the way it is. Always has been. Coaches are paid to win games and most of the time you win with the most talent.

What about CWM's D staff? Does he have buy in/respect from his entire D staff and is CWM satisfied with his staff?

wde

IMO I think you will see one change to CWM's staff next year. But in general CWM loves his staff.

Well, with some teams, some coaches, there is a "fear of consequences." For example, at a place like Bama or tOSU, if you screw up, the coach will pull you and sit you down, and there's some other 5 star guy ready to step into your spot. And that means you may drop down in the rotation and may not play as much. Meyer demonstrated that when he pulled Cardell and sat him. Spurrier used to do that all the time. If you can't play your position, somebody else can.

Problem is, when you don't have the depth, it's really hard to do that. Duke should have been sat for his on field performance. And what do you think would have happened at Bama, UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, UF, if a defensive player had actually avoided making a tackle?

There needs to be some real accountability. Call it fear or consequences or whatever you want.

+1

AU has been so damn young, and thin, and injured, and just basically fragile for so many years that making a player suffer consequences for not executing their job is unheard of right now. And don't think our players don't know what the situation is on this roster. They know they are likely to best we got, so screw up or not they are on the field. Don't give 100%, or slack off on execution and they are still on the field.

I agree that the players definitely seem to respect CWM. However, some people think that instilling fear in players is a direct correlation to a winning culture. That is just not true. If that was the case then CWM would still be at UF. I think there is something to say about entitlement among a few players , but everything else seem to be embellished because AU is having a disappointing season to our standards .

Gene is a great guy but he didn't exactly run a real disciplined AU program. And by disciplined I mean all aspect of the program. And we are seeing signs of the same with Gus. BUT I do think Gus is trying to fix this and is being advised to do by people close to him.

Bless his heart, lol.

How many coaches have we blown through in the last dozen years? When an organization feels like a roller coaster ride of inconsistency, it's certain there's a problem at the top of it's leadership. Our athletic department is still run like a five and dime store. Just like Housel (who is as fine an Auburn man as there ever was), Jacobs was promoted for being a good foot soldier within the department. Just like Housel, Jacobs (who is also as fine an Auburn man as there ever was) is in over his head.

Spot on.

+1

AU has been so damn young, and thin, and injured, and just basically fragile for so many years that making a player suffer consequences for not executing their job is unheard of right now. And don't think our players don't know what the situation is on this roster. They know they are likely to best we got, so screw up or not they are on the field. Don't give 100%, or slack off on execution and they are still on the field.

No offense but using Saban & especially Urban as examples of coaches who discipline is just wrong. Urban left UF in shambles & those players went wild. Hell one player is in jail for murder. In both cases if you can play ball you will play.

Bless his heart, lol.

Yep. And that lawsuit could be real ugly for Jay IF, and that is a big IF, what I'm told happened.

wde

IMO I think you will see one change to CWM's staff next year. But in general CWM loves his staff.

I hope you are correct and I hope it is the one that wasn't changed last year.

wde

+1

No offense but using Saban & especially Urban as examples of coaches who discipline is just wrong. Urban left UF in shambles & those players went wild. Hell one player is in jail for murder. In both cases if you can play ball you will play.

I understand what you're saying. But damn it would be such a luxury to have a bench full of top talent just waiting in the wings if needed.

Bless his heart, lol.

Yep. And that lawsuit could be real ugly for Jay IF, and that is a big IF, what I'm told happened.

The AU BOT will choose to settle with Sunny before they allow any bad light to shine on Jay Jacobs. Pay the coach off and let that water flow under the bridge.

I think parts of this is true, but you also have to remember the PC social media era we're in. Look at Jim Mcelwain yelling at a player or Butch Jones hitting a player (although Butch might have been out of line). If you do ANYTHING verbally or physically to a player to toughen him up, you can bet some news reporter will be licking his chops to make you a front headline for player abuse.

Gene is a great guy but he didn't exactly run a real disciplined AU program. And by disciplined I mean all aspect of the program. And we are seeing signs of the same with Gus. BUT I do think Gus is trying to fix this and is being advised to do by people close to him.

This is a great point that I think most people miss. A great football coach does not make a great head coach. I remember Urban Meyer, when he was having his success at Florida said something to the effect of "when coaches call me to ask questions about my offense, how to run the spread, etc. I'd send them the film so they could learn it themselves. When a coach called to talk about running a program, I'd give them all the time they wanted."

To be a great head coach you need to possess at least these three general qualities: 1) An excellent football mind both in game and in scheme 2) a quality staff and 3) the ability to manage and lead a program. In my opinion, if you don't have one of those three qualities, you aren't going to be successful for very long. Gus has a great football mind, we have a good staff, but we're going to find out if he really knows how to run a top tier football program.

Hate Nick Saban or Urban Meyer all you want, but both of those guys have something in common and that's a detailed and specific plan for running their program top to bottom, inside and out. When you hear Saban interviews, he talks much less about his player's or team's performance in x's and o's and much more about a standard of how they go about their business. He has expectations, and he repeats them over and over and over. When you listen to player interviews, they talk about the same things. The guy expects everyone in the program, top to bottom, player's, coaches, and staff to conduct themselves like professionals. In my opinion, that's what makes Alabama so consistently good.

Look at how many Freshman are playing on D. Sometimes starting over seniors. Muschamp is sitting guys down who don't play well and then when they get back on the field they seem to play better. O is a little different problems there is not lack of effort from O-line just silly mistakes and lack of cohesiveness. Playing together for a while usually fixes those issues. If you start swapping out O-linemen the cohesiveness takes even longer to occur. They have played both Blocking backs and both QB's the only place they were weak on sitting people down was Duke Williams and now he is gone.

Many are confusing loyalty sticking with JJ for three games based on how well he looked in practice as weakness versus swapping him for a redshirt Fr. who had never played a game. Duke should have been dealt with earlier if so maybe Myron Butler would still be here.

Look at number of people getting chance to prove themselves it is just going to take time.

There was a culture among the players when I was in school. The seniors lead the team when the coach wasn't around. Playing time and running are still in the coaches arsenal. We coddle too many, don't tackle 100% in practice, and we could play call a decent powder-puff game.

some excellent stuff there barnacle. I watched the recent saban interview on Feherty last week. what stuck out to me was the conversation about his hiring of asst coaches. he said he hires coaches to do things his way, not theirs. he said that is how you bring consistency to a program. same standards, same tone from the top year over year. contrast that to auburn post tubs.

some excellent stuff there barnacle. I watched the recent saban interview on Feherty last week. what stuck out to me was the conversation about his hiring of asst coaches. he said he hires coaches to do things his way, not theirs. he said that is how you bring consistency to a program. same standards, same tone from the top year over year. contrast that to auburn post tubs.

As an extension to that, assistants don't go to Alabama because they want a great quality of life. They go to Alabama because they want to know what it takes to be successful. He doesn't have the only blueprint for success, but its a darn good one. I don't care what anybody says, but I love listening to Saban speak, because the principles that he sets out for his players to live and play by are principles that are going to bring them success in any avenue of life. He preaches, discipline, accountability, leadership, preparation, being relentless, and focusing on the steps of the "process" and not the result to achieve success. He almost never fails to mention those things when you hear him speak. It doesn't matter what profession you are in or what goals you might be pursuing, if you focus on those things, you are probably going to be successful. Saban gets a lot of criticism, and the guy has his weaknesses and character flaws, but I have an immense amount of respect for him as a coach, and I think his players benefit from their time there, whether they leave school for the NFL or not.

I am not suggesting that Gus does not also have principles that he preaches to the team that could be applicable for success in things other than football. I'm sure that he does, I just never notice him talking about it. I really like Gus a lot, but sometimes do I wonder whether or not he's so much of a "football guy" that he doesn't see the bigger picture.

Archived