Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

Said it before and say it again we should have announced malzahns firing this a.m. And headed the job the chomp. He could have held the D class and improved next years. All he had to do was bring In a OC which damn sure wouldn't have been hard to Improve on. Now we are faced with going through all this crap again next year and who the hell knows what will be available. Why is Auburn always 2 steps behind.

Knew you would chime in with more ridiculousness. Firing malzahn would be colossally stupid. post less.

WHAT???

Fire Malzahn and put in Muschamp so he could bring Roper and his gang of epic failures from UF....which is EXACTLY what he is doing at USC. No thanks. Firing/hiring coaches every few years is one big problem.

Muschamp still hasn't shown me anything to make me think he will be a capable HC.

I think you misread WT's post...

I actually agree with WT....its the other, like WT, that I think is crazy!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Muschamp hasn't proved he is capable of being a HC. Sure, he was basically set up to fail at UF, but he needed, in my opinion, to prove himself again at Auburn. Or maybe I'm just being a selfish Auburn fan lol.

How was he set up to fail?

I agree. Muschamp hasn't proved he is capable of being a HC. Sure, he was basically set up to fail at UF, but he needed, in my opinion, to prove himself again at Auburn. Or maybe I'm just being a selfish Auburn fan lol.

From all accounts was forced to hire Weis against his wishes, setting up his O for failure. That's the story from the CWM apologists.

I know that CWM said he was here for the long haul, but you can not blame him for taking a HC job in the SEC. He poured his heart and soul into improving AU's defense. I don't blame him for going for a promotion. I don't think anyone here if after being demoted, wouldn't jump at the opportunity to get back to where you want to be. I don't think he is a liar or anything else. He had an opportunity, and he took it. I would do the same.

Best of luck to him. AU will be ok. We will rise up higher because of the adversity.

WDE!!

5 stages of crap - Anger, denial, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. I think we're all in different stages.

Btw - while I know many loved his extreme "passion" and fire (yes, he's a good DC) - time will tell whether that's the positive side of that he's also mildly nuts.

From all accounts was forced to hire Weis against his wishes, setting up his O for failure. That's the story from the CWM apologists.

What about Pease and Roper? He went thru OCs like AU goes thru DCs.

I don't know if this has been covered, but I was wondering about Muschamps contract. Since he was paid basically double to come to Auburn, did Jay Jacobs at least have a provision requiring Mushchamp to pay something back if he left after just one year? Some kind of penalty provision?

Or does Jacobs just give away the farm in his contracts without protecting AU?

It was a year over year contract for 3 total. On December 6th at midnight he was free to take another job with no buyout.

I don't know if this has been covered, but I was wondering about Muschamps contract. Since he was paid basically double to come to Auburn, did Jay Jacobs at least have a provision requiring Mushchamp to pay something back if he left after just one year? Some kind of penalty provision?

No. Yes, but was necessary to get one of the best DCs in the game.

Move this thread to the Rivals section. I don't know about other folks, but I am tired of seeing threads and comments about Muschamp. He is gone. Time to move on.

$1.6 million per year - no buyout after Dec 6th.

That's what it took to get WM to Auburn, and the BOT agreed to the contract. Jay Jacobs doesn't have the authority to just give away anything. He is nothing more than a facilitator/negotiator in these contracts, the BOT votes yes or no.

IMO this decision by Muschamp is going to eventually pigeon hole him as a DC for the rest of his career. He's essentially building his staff from UF 2014 to coach at USCe 2016. If you can't win with the talent at UF, what makes you think that you can win with the talent at USCe? Especially a USCe that loses their 2 best players in Skai Moore and Pharaoh Cooper.

If (when) Muschamp fails at USCe, IMO it will be extremely hard for him to find an FBS HC job, if he ever finds one. Combine that with the fact that people won't trust him because he has shown that he does not keep his word, and I think that many ADs are going to think twice about hiring him again. He just causes too much turmoil.

I agree 100%. The USCe job has been sold as better job than really what it is. However, his saving grace may be that the USCe fan base may be more understanding they don't have the football tradition and expectations like a UF, AU or Bama. They would likely be more patient with him and as long as they are consistently winning 8-9 games a year with a decent bowl and maybe mix in a trip to the SEC championship it could work out for him. They are not in the position to have high expectations IMO at this point.

IMO this decision by Muschamp is going to eventually pigeon hole him as a DC for the rest of his career. He's essentially building his staff from UF 2014 to coach at USCe 2016. If you can't win with the talent at UF, what makes you think that you can win with the talent at USCe? Especially a USCe that loses their 2 best players in Skai Moore and Pharaoh Cooper.

If (when) Muschamp fails at USCe, IMO it will be extremely hard for him to find an FBS HC job, if he ever finds one. Combine that with the fact that people won't trust him because he has shown that he does not keep his word, and I think that many ADs are going to think twice about hiring him again. He just causes too much turmoil.

I agree 100%. The USCe job has been sold as better job than really what it is. However, his saving grace may be that the USCe fan base may be more understanding they don't have the football tradition and expectations like a UF, AU or Bama. They would likely be more patient with him and as long as they are consistently winning 8-9 games a year with a decent bowl and maybe mix in a trip to the SEC championship it could work out for him. They are not in the position to have high expectations IMO at this point.

There is the other side of the coin, that no other SEC school was willing to take a shot with a coach who got fired from his last position for lack of production, so when one gave him a shot, he jumped at it. Better to have a shot to prove yourself than no shot at all, because no other team would take him. When was the last time you heard of a head coach getting fired from his first job because of performance, taking a demotion to coordinator, and then getting a head coaching position again? Second chances in the coaching world usually come with winning records.

5 stages of crap - Anger, denial, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. I think we're all in different stages.

Btw - while I know many loved his extreme "passion" and fire (yes, he's a good DC) - time will tell whether that's the positive side of that he's also mildly nuts.

Can get away with that as a DC. As a HC..well..we shall see.

For those who took shots at me for posting things I saw on other site about Will leaving, I'm now waitinf for you tell me your very sorry for doubting me and taking shots at me.

Nothing official yet so your request is premature.

Ok. Take a deep breath and hold it. Your apology is in the mail...

LOL! Has A4E been taking the wrong pill the last 3-4 days? :dunno: His post counts has picked up a lot i see. :-\

Great opportunity for both WM and TR. don't blame either for getting out of this goat rodeo. Would not shock me in the least if malzahn gives the job to big boy garner. JJ nor malzahn are ready for prime time. Jacobs HAS GOT TO GO!!,! We should forgo our season tickets until something is done!

JJ is also responsible for global warming....he has to go. The guy just can't do anything right......right?

Meanwhile...where are your seats....might be interested in buying them for next year.

I hope JJ gets fired too BUT i'll gladly take those AU seats as well!

SowCaliner fans have tasted success under Spurrier, although limited, but success. They will expect the same under Muschamp. I don't see them giving him more than three years to win more than 8-9 games before they start revolting.

What about Pease and Roper? He went thru OCs like AU goes thru DCs.

I do remember a statement from Muschamp that said Foley was going to help with the offensive coordinator hire. And an awfully lot of Florida fans still think Weis was forced on to Muschamp. I can't find nothing on it on the Internet though except from various message boards.

Relevant?

‘- Says he was first contacted by Ray Tanner last Thursday and immediately told Gus Malzahn

-- On timetable for staff: "No, when I know, I won't wait for the entire staff obviously. ... You'll know as quick as I know."

-- Won't confirm or deny Travaris Robinson and Bobby Bentley are on his USC staff’

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/12/live_updates_will_muschamp_south_carolina_press_conference.html#incart_river_index

Relevant?

‘- Says he was first contacted by Ray Tanner last Thursday and immediately told Gus Malzahn

-- On timetable for staff: "No, when I know, I won't wait for the entire staff obviously. ... You'll know as quick as I know."

-- Won't confirm or deny Travaris Robinson and Bobby Bentley are on his USC staff’

http://www.al.com/au...art_river_index

Have to say, i'm a bit surprised that Bentley is considering going with him, since Jake has 2 years left at Opelika. Maybe he's just desperate for an on-field position and Gus isn't willing to move people around to make room for him.

I recall WM saying something at his UF presser about a pro style ball control offense....he wanted Weiss or someone of his mold besides Foley does not seem like the AD to mandate a hire....

SowCaliner fans have tasted success under Spurrier, although limited, but success. They will expect the same under Muschamp. I don't see them giving him more than three years to win more than 8-9 games before they start revolting.

I agree. We are giving Gus 4. He won big in 2013. Since then, not so much.

wde

wde

I don't think WM will ever win more than 8 games in SC and that's being generous.

wde

I don't think WM will ever win more than 8 games in SC and that's being generous.

We won 8 last year, we won 6-7 this year. We won a lot in 2013 but the trend is going down and quickly. I don't want Muschamp to be

AU's HC but for any AU fan to cast aspersions on any other teams HC right now is laughable. Muschamp has a better chance of being at USCe as HC in 2017 than Gus does at AU.

wde

I think that is especially true considering that he isn't necessarily the coach the fanbase wanted. I'm half-expecting some videos at some point of him being heckled Chizik-style.

Archived