2017 4* Juco WR Brandon Martin (Arkansas 12/14/16)

ellitor

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

@cole256 good point about the one leg\two leg jumpers.  Which do you prefer?

A person can choose a one-leg or two-leg leg-humper? Are the UGA fans aware that they have this option?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If somebody wants to argue with Cole about what he may or may not have said about Sean, find one of the 50 freaking QB threads in the main forum to do it. Jesus. He's not to blame for any of this crap in this thread, btw. I'm not a mod but this is ridiculous. 

Brandon Martin has all the makings of a special WR and has 3 years of eligibility left. He's 6'4, 215 and runs a reported 4.37. Even after calling BS and doing the normal .1-.2 second deduction from any non-NFL Combine 40 time, that's a big, fast dude. If you watch his highlights, he catches the ball with his hands and not with his body- something that we've not seen as much as we'd like from the one receiver on our team who is taller than 6'2 and happens to be leaving after this season. And he hasn't been playing football long, so he very well could grow into a monster. I really think it's okay to quit slap fighting over our quarterback in this one thread and discuss the pros and cons of recruiting Brandon Martin. 

THANK YOU!!!

I really wanna see BM sign with AU!  As others have mentioned, he is a big, fast WR!

Was he at the Arky game?  I didn't see him on the list. 

The last word I heard was we are still the team to beat. Is that still the case?

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

@cole256 good point about the one leg\two leg jumpers.  Which do you prefer?

DEFINITELY one leg, for wr's and corners. From my experience playing both positions and playing/coaching basketball it's a tremendous asset. I'd say almost as important as wingspan/length. To be able to jump in mid stride really helps as far as recovery with a corner and as far as a wr to be able to go off of one leg suddenly is just another way to disguise a catch at the last minute and not give a corner or safety any cues that the ball is coming your way.

Not all but if you pay attention when you watch basketball and a guy dunks out of nowhere and it was unexpected and everybody is thinking I didn't even know he was going to do that it's usually off of one leg. The stride looked like a normal lay up but boom! After it happens it was too late! 

If a guy has to gather himself off of two legs even if it's a short time sometimes that's enough for you to recover or to cue you it's time to jump. And even when completed sometimes it breaks stride enough to stop a play from being a td and instead is just a nice size play as opposed to the homerun play

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

DEFINITELY one leg, for wr's and corners.

I completely agree. Kinda a difference between leaping and jumping.  It saves time, energy, and positioning.

Just wondering, what kind of attitude does this guy have? i mean if it is good and mature, then he would be a tremendous help with the younger WRs. If bad, then he would be like poison, just wondering.

4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I really wanna see BM sign with AU!  As others have mentioned, he is a big, fast WR!

Was he at the Arky game?  I didn't see him on the list. 

The last word I heard was we are still the team to beat. Is that still the case?

1. No. He hasn't been to an Auburn game all season nor any other college game for that matter as far as I know. 2. That is still the trending belief.

14 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Just wondering, what kind of attitude does this guy have? i mean if it is good and mature, then he would be a tremendous help with the younger WRs. If bad, then he would be like poison, just wondering.

To my knowledge there have been no reports of any kind on what type of attitude he has.

51 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

How hard we continue to recruit him might be the answer to your question. He seems like an undeniable talent if he's a decent kid, but with this year's bumper crop of freshmen and McClain on deck, we might have the luxury of screening WRs a bit more stringently in this cycle. Which is just a more verbose way of saying what @ellitor and others have already said. 

• 4 weeks later...

what the heck is the deal with him? He has gone virtually radio silent.

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

what the heck is the deal with him? He has gone virtually radio silent.

Still supposed to OV the first or 2nd weekend in December. That's all I know.

22 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Louisville

I have seen crystal balls for them but no actionable Intel to support it

just reading the tea leaves seems to me this is one of those situations where he does not want to go to Auburn but may have to if his dream school LSU never offers. Every week it was o well he may show up. NOPE. never did. I do know he had a few saturday games later in the season though.

It'll be very interesting to see who we close w/ from a recruiting standpoint.  Fair or not, our performance on the field this season has done little to eradicate the "Gus is gone in another year" mentality.  Other coaches can still play that card.  I truly hope we can secure a really good s/t qb that can bridge the gap b/t next year and the time Joey Gatewood is ready to take snaps.

4 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

It'll be very interesting to see who we close w/ from a recruiting standpoint.  Fair or not, our performance on the field this season has done little to eradicate the "Gus is gone in another year" mentality.  Other coaches can still play that card.  I truly hope we can secure a really good s/t qb that can bridge the gap b/t next year and the time Joey Gatewood is ready to take snaps.

Agree that it seems that Gus still hasn't changed that perception. Recruiting seems dull right now. Recruiting 24/7 season is ahead and a lot of spots to fill. Def on the offensive side of the ball. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Agree that it seems that Gus still hasn't changed that perception. Recruiting seems dull right now. Recruiting 24/7 season is ahead and a lot of spots to fill. Def on the offensive side of the ball. 

crazy after all the ups and downs of this year after the 6 game winning streak and most likely going to end up at 8-4 it really did NOTHING whatsoever to move the needle either way in the fire gus camp or to totally knock off the negative recruiting where everyone knows he is secure for a long time. At this point only a new head coach would bring us excitement and energy to close recruiting with a bang like a pj fleck who seems like he would be a dynamic recruiter at a big time school would give us that push to close recruiting strong but that def is not happening. This is honestly the worst kind of result this year when it comes to how it will affect recruiting. This will also negatively affect us next year to. I want to say though regardless of who AU coach is I swear no one gets more negatively recruited as a program than us. Like WTF???? why is it always us?

When we hear from numerous outlets the negative recruiting is strong against AU in my mind I bet it is just 3 guys: Kirby, Pruitt and of course Saban. Those 3 guys I got to hand it to them 3 of the best negative recruiters in the business. Pain in our arse for a long time on the trail.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

crazy after all the ups and downs of this year after the 6 game winning streak and most likely going to end up at 8-4 it really did NOTHING whatsoever to move the needle either way in the fire gus camp or to totally knock off the negative recruiting where everyone knows he is secure for a long time. At this point only a new head coach would bring us excitement and energy to close recruiting with a bang like a pj fleck who seems like he would be a dynamic recruiter at a big time school would give us that push to close recruiting strong but that def is not happening. This is honestly the worst kind of result this year when it comes to how it will affect recruiting. This will also negatively affect us next year to. I want to say though regardless of who AU coach is I swear no one gets more negatively recruited as a program than us. Like WTF???? why is it always us?

And this is what I think we'll have with Malzahn- a guy who wins 8 games consistently, better sometimes and occasionally worse. Never great and never so gosh-awful that firing is a slam dunk. Mediocrity in perpetuity. Kind of a low-rent Mark Richt.

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

And this is what I think we'll have with Malzahn- a guy who wins 8 games consistently, better sometimes and occasionally worse. Never great and never so gosh-awful that firing is a slam dunk. Mediocrity in perpetuity. Kind of a low-rent Mark Richt.

so basically tubby 2.0????

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

so basically tubby 2.0????

Yes, but maybe not as good. Tubs was a lazy recruiter. Gus is doing same/worse with better talent I think.

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yes, but maybe not as good. Tubs was a lazy recruiter. Gus is doing same/worse with better talent I think.

good point. that sums it up perfectly. Gus unfortunately has swung and missed big at the most important position. they both had a lot of flaws. Gus could be more successful if he was a ceo like tubs was.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

yes but recruits will only listen so long if Auburn continues to play schizophrenic football.

I truly believe that Gus' tenure rests in the hands of Jarrett Stidham. That's Auburn's chance to have an elite QB that can take this offense to the next level. If we lose out on Stidham then we are destined for mediocrity. Sean White does a solid job running this offense, but he has a certain ceiling.  Also, he has not proven that he is physically strong enough to make it through an SEC season. 

Gus has lost some critical recruiting battles in his tenure that could have taken us to the next level. Stidham may be a bust, but right now he has more potential than anyone else on our roster. This is one recruiting battle that could turn the needle, and Gus can't afford to lose it.

Archived