2017 4* Juco WR Brandon Martin (Arkansas 12/14/16)

ellitor

4 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

I'm glad this thread got bumped.  I'd love to know if there are any updates on Martin's recruitment.  Seems like he could be an x-factor next year.

No updates. Still Auburn's to lose if they want him. As Mikey pointed out though I can see the priority on him changing for Auburn given how well the Young Guns are coming along.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to give up ground on receiver recruitment, but JUCO guys are usually picked up as a band aid. Barring the entirely unforeseen we don't need a band aid at WR. If we're only in on one HS WR, then it's time for us to get in on one or two more.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't want to give up ground on receiver recruitment, but JUCO guys are usually picked up as a band aid. Barring the entirely unforeseen we don't need a band aid at WR. If we're only in on one HS WR, then it's time for us to get in on one or two more.

We are in on more but only one is potentially outstanding which was the word you used and the one I stuck with.

3 to play 3... not a normal juco band-aid. 

Stevens and M. Davis will be gone next year. Smith will be a senior, and already has a big hill to climb to get back in the rotation. Truitt and R. Davis will be juniors, and Truitt might not be a full time WR going forward. Nobody other than Stevens is taller than 6'2, and this guy is 6'4. 

KD has solid potential to leave early. R. Davis, Slayton, NCM and Stove might, too. If things get crowded, if egos aren't compatible, if somebody gets hurt, if somebody has a misstep off the field... it's certainly not crazy to think that they don't all fulfill their eligibility at Auburn. And Martin might just straight up beat out some of these guys for a job.

There's room for this guy as more than a band-aid IMO. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

3 to play 3... not a normal juco band-aid. 

Stevens and M. Davis will be gone next year. Smith will be a senior, and already has a big hill to climb to get back in the rotation. Truitt and R. Davis will be juniors, and Truitt might not be a full time WR going forward. Nobody other than Stevens is taller than 6'2, and this guy is 6'4. 

KD has solid potential to leave early. R. Davis, Slayton, NCM and Stove might, too. If things get crowded, if egos aren't compatible, if somebody gets hurt, if somebody has a misstep off the field... it's certainly not crazy to think that they don't all fulfill their eligibility at Auburn. And Martin might just straight up beat out some of these guys for a job.

There's room for this guy as more than a band-aid IMO. 

Totally agree if the staff sees him as one of the best wide receivers on their board and I had forgotten he can play three years at Auburn.

16 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

We need his height and speed to replace Tony Stevens for next year.  I don't want to give up any ground on receiver recruitment.

This.  One of our up and comers might be the next Stevens, but it can't hurt to have competition at that position, and if he is as good as touted, it will make us that much better.

Strike one: JUCO tells us there were some problems in the past, probably academic

Strike two: decommitted from us once already

Color me underwhelmed. If we sign him, I'll hope he helps us but if he goes elsewhere I won't give a flip.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Strike one: JUCO tells us there were some problems in the past, probably academic

Strike two: decommitted from us once already

Color me underwhelmed. If we sign him, I'll hope he helps us but if he goes elsewhere I won't give a flip.

This should not be a strike because it is the case with a lot of Juco kids. It sounds like you're implying don't give juco kids a chance and miss out on never ever get great players again like Cam Newton and Nick Fairley. I have become to agree with you a lot Mikey but that implied logic from point 1 makes no sense in my opinion. I can completely understand you not wanting him because he decommitted  but point 1 I just don't see with all do respect.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This should not be a strike because it is the case with a lot of Juco kids. It sounds like you're implying don't give juco kids a chance and miss out on never ever get great players again like Cam Newton and Nick Fairley. I have become to agree with you a lot Mikey but that implied logic from point 1 makes no sense in my opinion. I can completely understand you not wanting him because he decommitted  but point 1 I just don't see with all do respect.

I agree. 

Mikey just doesn't like anybody who isn't all AU from the jump. He still doesn't like Austin Golson. Not sure if that extends to LBs, though :)

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I agree. 

Mikey just doesn't like anybody who isn't all AU from the jump. He still doesn't like Austin Golson. Not sure if that extends to LBs, though :)

Of course it extends to LB's.  For example, if the claim that Ignont was a long-time silent commit to AU is true, then he can now go jump in the lake!

As far as the JUCO thing goes, every now and then one works out per Cam, Fairley and Nick Marshall. For every Cam there are 5 who "weren't signed to ride the bench" yet they rode the bench with so little impact that their names escape me.

Golson now, he came from a long-time AU family. I had the privilege of working with some of them. He had his reasons for going where he went, reasons that to this day I do not think were valid. He knew where he belonged and chose to wimp out and go elsewhere. Of course I wish him all success at AU, but that doesn't change the fact that he belonged here from the start.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just stupid period to say you like or dislike anybody for making a decision for themselves....especially when you don't know anything about the person but what you read on the internet. This board is great but I don't think I've seen it be 100% accurate about one guy that I've known and I could check out the info that was posted on here. 

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's just stupid period to say you like or dislike anybody for making a decision for themselves....especially when you don't know anything about the person but what you read on the internet. This board is great but I don't think I've seen it be 100% accurate about one guy that I've known and I could check out the info that was posted on here. 

Where ya' been Cole? I haven't seen much of you since Sean White started succeeding at QB.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Where ya' been Cole? I haven't seen much of you since Sean White started succeeding at QB.

LOL, you are so right. I had been thinking the same thing. Cole is alright it's just he got his lunch handed to him in the Sean White argument.

He completed six passes yesterday and two out of the first five should've been picked. Oh yeah, Cole is running away from his comments.  :ucrazy:

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Stick to B. Martin no reason to go there 

On July 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Mikey said:

There's doing his job and then there's being downright nasty towards AU. Craig was downright nasty to his "beloved school" when at FSU. (See the above mentioned towel waving and that's just scratching the surface) Now he's at LSU and I expect him to be even more nasty toward Auburn. That seems to be how he rolls.

This, plus his quarterback mentoring is going so well at LSU. Lol

On July 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM, cole256 said:

Saying he negatively recruits more against Auburn than any other school, saying he doesn't love his old school, especially the check part like it's different for anybody else. Being nasty all that crap

And it always coming from the people that want to make Gus out as Jesus with an impeccable character. All that is bull

Sorry we don't all share your misery now that Gus and Auburn are doing so well. I guess, that is just the way you are. Sad, really.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

He completed six passes yesterday and two out of the first five should've been picked. Oh yeah, Cole is running away from his comments.  :ucrazy:

Funny, you forgot to mention 68 rushing yards, his rushing TD and his passing TDs.  How many times do you think he should've thrown the ball yesterday since the game was so close? Maybe 20 to 25 attempts?

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Funny, you forgot to mention 68 rushing yards, his rushing TD and his passing TDs.  How many times do you think he should've thrown the ball yesterday since the game was so close? Maybe 20 to 25 attempts?

I thought the game plan was right for the day. After the two early throws that were jumped, it would've been stupid to throw when we had a beast running the back. I was just saying it was untimely at best and dumb at worst to trump SWs success when there wasn't any. 

4 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

LOL, you are so right. I had been thinking the same thing. Cole is alright it's just he got his lunch handed to him in the Sean White argument.

No Cole is a nuclear engineer who has to also qualify for fire brigade training....But I tell you what you quote a post showing where Cole got his lunch handed to him and I'll send you a $100!

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

You just wasn't looking because the good game sw had I was the first congratulating him.....I'm nothing like you. I wouldn't ever wish anybody to fail. I mean look at your side kick and you openly hoping the worse for kids.....lot of character there....kudos to you

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

You just wasn't looking because the good game sw had I was the first congratulating him.....I'm nothing like you. I wouldn't ever wish anybody to fail. I mean look at your side kick and you openly hoping the worse for kids.....lot of character there....kudos to you

:thumbsdown:

Archived