Touting the Offensive Coaching Staff

RunInRed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shhhhh! You are not supposed to say nice things about our coaching staff. You are not supposed to post facts like those you posted! "They suck" is the only acceptable remark in these parts.

I feel like they could've put more than just "Heisman Ticket" on Gus'. His career highlights would make for a very impressive and list. But I'm also nowhere near inside the recruiting world lol

Ahh, perspective. Plus, it really hits home how darned impressive Herb Hand is. They didn't even have room to fit "Culinary Demigod" on there.

It's amazing how quiet the naysayers are when confronted with the facts about our coaching staff.

It's amazing how quiet the naysayers are when confronted with the facts about our coaching staff.

Everybody seems to be pretty pleased with RG thanks to his offseason recruiting efforts. He appears to be safe at the moment.

The only real issue left with the coaching staff from the posters on here is RL, and the "facts" attributed to RL are not as hard as they appear. Yeah, RL may have coached the number one offense but how much credit does he really deserve for the 2013 offense? Also, the question is how interchangeable is the OC under Gus Malzahn? Is Lashlee necessary to have a great Gus Malzahn offense or is he just sufficient to have a great Gus Malzahn offense? Lastly, if Lashlee is such a good offensive coach, why does it seem like Gus is wanting to take back some control of the offense that he had given to RL last year?

Everybody seems to be pretty pleased with RG thanks to his offseason recruiting efforts. He appears to be safe at the moment.

The only real issue left with the coaching staff from the posters on here are RL, and the "facts" attributed to RL are not as hard as they appear. Yeah, RL may have coached the number one offense but how much credit does he really deserve for the 2013 offense? Also, the question is how interchangeable is the OC under Gus Malzahn? Is Lashlee necessary to have a great Gus Malzahn offense or is he just sufficient to have a great Gus Malzahn offense? Lastly, if Lashlee is such a good offensive coach, why does it seem like Gus is wanting to take back some control of the offense that he had given to RL last year?

RL and Kodi. Jury is still out on Kodi. Huge learning curve. And Kodi is getting worked on the recruiting trail.

Others are damn good. In fact it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. Which makes me :dunno: about Gus and RL. So I was told by someone who would know.

The only real issue left with the coaching staff from the posters on here are RL, and the "facts" attributed to RL are not as hard as they appear. Yeah, RL may have coached the number one offense but how much credit does he really deserve for the 2013 offense? Also, the question is how interchangeable is the OC under Gus Malzahn? Is Lashlee necessary to have a great Gus Malzahn offense or is he just sufficient to have a great Gus Malzahn offense? Lastly, if Lashlee is such a good offensive coach, why does it seem like Gus is wanting to take back some control of the offense that he had given to RL last year?

RL and Kodi. Jury is still out on Kodi. Huge learning curve. And Kodi is getting worked on the recruiting trail.

Others are damn good. In fact it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. Which makes me :dunno:/> about Gus and RL. So I was told by someone who would know.

Kodi has a temporary grace period for me until I see more clearly whether he is or isn't a good fit.

Every coach is on probation every year....that's reality ...or coaches with years of experience and success would not be fired after a couple bad seasons. BUT....that's as impressive a coaching staff as anyone can present to prospects IMO.

It's team game after all and Kodi will likely only look as good as the talent he inherited.....and the QBs. But, I like to see some young up and comers among the staff and I'm giving him more than one year to "prove himself"

Not good at all to hear Kodi is getting worked on the recruiting trail. I am also feeling like "huh?" Upon hearing it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. The guys who have been with him for 2 full years didn't consider this?

Not good at all to hear Kodi is getting worked on the recruiting trail. I am also feeling like "huh?" Upon hearing it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. The guys who have been with him for 2 full years didn't consider this?

Is Roc gone or not? Why couldn't we just sell Roc as a RB that will placed all over the field like Kenyan Drake and not strictly as a slot receiver.

Not sure what you mean....but seems to be a criticism of the offensive coaches. Trust you recall that this possible change apparently did not sit well with Roc .....and as a top RB he deserved the opportunity to try and win a starting RB role before being moved.

When it became obvious that Plan A was not going to work, it was time to consider other things. JMO but every year the squad changes and "holes" must be filled and players get moved to new positions. I can't see criticism of anyone just because Roc was given two seasons to become the feature RB.....and then was given another opportunity to earn more playing time.

Is Roc gone or not? Why couldn't we just sell Roc as a RB that will placed all over the field like Kenyan Drake and not strictly as a slot receiver.

I have no idea. Still waiting for a legitimate report. And I agree. It seems like that role should be exciting for a RB trying to get a more steady role in the rotation. But who knows?

Not sure what you mean....but seems to be a criticism of the offensive coaches. Trust you recall that this possible change apparently did not sit well with Roc .....and as a top RB he deserved the opportunity to try and win a starting RB role before being moved.

When it became obvious that Plan A was not going to work, it was time to consider other things. JMO but every year the squad changes and "holes" must be filled and players get moved to new positions. I can't see criticism of anyone just because Roc was given two seasons to become the feature RB.....and then was given another opportunity to earn more playing time.

To be honest I have no idea what's the real Roc story is. But I was going based on what WDE said that it was Hand's idea to use Roc's skillset in the slot. And apparently that was enough for CGM to put him there (based on rumors of him transferring). But it's clear he excels in that role when he did play it but we are just now hearing about Roc spending much more of his time there as opposed to traditional RB. Maybe you're right though. Maybe after 2 years they saw this was an easier road for him to get on the field and offered it to him. I took it as a new staff member who's been on board for a few months suggested utilizing a guy in the slot -- where he can be quite good -- while the current guys who were working with him didn't think to make that positional move for him for more than a few plays. But he had like 2 of our longest pass plays this season I believe so it's not like they weren't utilizing him at all there so IDK.

I have no idea. Still waiting for a legitimate report. And I agree. It seems like that role should be exciting for a RB trying to get a more steady role in the rotation. But who knows?

Should know this week on Roc's future with AU.

No & doesn't have to decide tl August.

Should know this week on Roc's future with AU.

Thanks. Let's hope he stays

To be honest I have no idea what's the real Roc story is. But I was going based on what WDE said that it was Hand's idea to use Roc's skillset in the slot. And apparently that was enough for CGM to put him there (based on rumors of him transferring). But it's clear he excels in that role when he did play it but we are just now hearing about Roc spending much more of his time there as opposed to traditional RB. Maybe you're right though. Maybe after 2 years they saw this was an easier road for him to get on the field and offered it to him. I took it as a new staff member who's been on board for a few months suggested utilizing a guy in the slot -- where he can be quite good -- while the current guys who were working with him didn't think to make that positional move for him for more than a few plays. But he had like 2 of our longest pass plays this season I believe so it's not like they weren't utilizing him at all there so IDK.

I'm told that pre-spring Gus and Hand were going over the offense. Hand made the suggestion to put Roc in the slot to give Roc the ball in space. To best use Roc's ability to make plays. Roc was not going to be the features back or even option #2. But Roc needed to get touches as Roc is a homerun threat. Gus agreed. So Roc was moved to the slot. And Roc would have been a feature of this offense.

Roc wants to be the man and that is what JSU is offering.

So we should see what happens this week. Gus has already talked Roc into staying one time. Hoping Gus can do this a second time.

I'm told that pre-spring Gus and Hand were going over the offense. Hand made the suggestion to put Roc in the slot to give Roc the ball in space. To best use Roc's ability to make plays. Roc was not going to be the features back or even option #2. But Roc needed to get touches as Roc is a homerun threat. Gus agreed. So Roc was moved to the slot. And Roc would have been a feature of this offense.

Sounds reasonable....Hand is an old hand at this business and I expect has Gus's ear better than anyone on the staff. Sounds like the real challenge is to get Roc to accept a new role....vs him going to a smaller school as their feature back. That can be a tough sell to a kid who came in with such accolades. What's the cut-off for Roc making his decision? I take it he is in summer school now...or at least planning to sign up.

So we should see what happens this week. Gus has already talked Roc into staying one time. Hoping Gus can do this a second time.

Thanks for that breakdown lets see how this plays out.

Others are damn good. In fact it was Hand's idea to put Roc in the slot. Which makes me :dunno: about Gus and RL. So I was told by someone who would know.

If true...this concerns me with Gus and his thought process with his offense. It's like he's in a fog and can't get out. Please get out!

Not surprised regarding Kodi. He's young and needs time. I don't know Kodi's personality but T-Will is def. a guy that recruits just love like Craig. T-Will is very engaging; even before he got the job. He commonly interacts with AU fans on FB. People are just drawn to him. Kodi seems pretty cool, calm and a little reserved. Both will have to prove themselves. I'm just beyond thankful that DC left us with some pretty good talent at WR which should help Kodi's learning curve.

This is a no brainier idea IMO. Especially when you had QBs who are struggling and WRs dropping passes. It should've been done last year! I don't care what you call it..slot..hybrid but he needed more touches in space to open up the field for us. A quick 5-7 yard dump off pass and let Roc make something happen. I honestly feel that if Roc simply got more touches last year no matter if it was out of the slot, screens etc. he would not have an issue with the role. It's honestly his best shot at making the NFL b/c he's not a feature RB IMO.

Yupp, 83 is spot on with roc. Reminds me of that Deanthony Thomas dude from Oregon or last years kid from Stanford. They'd put them on the field wherever he would make the biggest mismatch. Pitches from the backfield, reads with the QB, WR whenever needed. They'd just get him the ball anywhere on the field where he'd have space to make something happen. And they'd still keep him in the backfield every now and then because he was a RB who could make huge plays.

As for Kodi, I don't feel like he's got the type of personality that will allow him to start huge on the recruiting trail. I think if he shows he can coach, his recruiting will be fine.

Archived