WCWS Softball vs. fsu - game thread

WoW! What girl would not want to play for Clint Myers! Glad Carlee Wallace knew to follow him to AU. And although there are some good coaches out there, name another one who has walked into a program that was mediocre at best and then take them to WCWS in second year and to the WCWS Championship in the third year. That shows he and his sons can COACH, not just take good talent but make talent better. Look at how girls have improved in their tenure at AU.

So proud of them and for them. WAR EAGLE!!!!!

Very interesting to me is that Auburn is definitely the new kid on the block in the College World Series.

Coaches at the other major contenders have been with their teams for many years and have made repeated trips to Oklahoma City. Most of them have developed pipelines of good players into their programs .

It is remarkable what Clint has accomplished in such a short time.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That catch by Draper saved two or three runs and is one of the best catches by an outfielder I have ever seen (softball AND baseball).

Finally getting a little BSPN love and even some of it is backhanded....

If these announcers covered our games all the time....I'd watch and beg to find radio/online coverage....complete amateurs.

Our own Auburn announcers are just as clueless. Hate to say it but the lead play by play butchers stuff every inning..

(On a 2-2 count) "Here comes the payoff pitch," is my favorite.

Second is, "grand slam home run!"

Yep. Everything after the first pitch was a "payoff pitch". :lol: Last night (watched the highlights with his commentary on them) on the play in the 7th, he said grounder to 2nd, she tags Carosone...etc.... Totally ignoring the fact that if she had tagged Carosone, she wouldn't have thrown to SECOND BASE to get the force out. I know he's learning on the fly but there are just some things you should know BEFORE you even attempt to call a game for a public audience. I hope he does continue to work and improves.

My other issue is, he gets WAY too excited when our opponent does something big, like a home run or a base hit that scores a run or multiple runs. Hey dude, you are Auburn's announcer you aren't supposed to be excited when our opponent does something that's beneficial to them...I want those calls to be the most disinterested approach ever....:lol:

I love this team! They don't get rattled. They never quit. The attitudes are perfect. They have fun while playing hard. They are very talented. And most importantly they know every aspect of the game thanks to Coach Myers. What a great team that is very fun and heart wrenching to watch. WAR EAGLE!! Let's bring it home now!

I remember when I first met CM while I was calling games. I remember the first time I shook his hand I got an immediate feeling that AU softball was in great hands. Just had a gut feeling it could turn into something special.

WoW! What girl would not want to play for Clint Myers! Glad Carlee Wallace knew to follow him to AU. And although there are some good coaches out there, name another one who has walked into a program that was mediocre at best and then take them to WCWS in second year and to the WCWS Championship in the third year. That shows he and his sons can COACH, not just take good talent but make talent better. Look at how girls have improved in their tenure at AU.

So proud of them and for them. WAR EAGLE!!!!!

Three of our starters, Draper, Gipson and Jordan, were walk-ons. Most of the others were not offered by the powerhouse programs. It truly is amazing what the Myers' have done in three years.

I think my heart has finally started again....Damn...

Watching the 7th and 8th so my wife and daughter can see what happened, and I still want to get all over the home plate ump.

From a strategic standpoint was that a good decision to run for home? I thought for sure they were going to nail her.

My thought also - maybe make them look at you and then throw to first but why risk the out at home - take the out at first with another chance to bring her home with only one out. And that had to be a pre-hit decision that she was going no matter what. I guess Clint knew that under the pressure, they would have to make the play at that home ump was ready to end the game!

It was pre determined, probably something on the order of "Anywhere but back to the pitcher and you're gone!" These bases are 60 feet, not 90 as in baseball. If the FSU player hadn't made a truly exceptional play it wouldn't even have been close at the plate.

If Jordan didn't knock her in the next two up were both slappers, and you'd be right back with trying to beat an infield throw anyway, but this time with the infielders drawn in. I liked the call.

Finally getting a little BSPN love and even some of it is backhanded....

If these announcers covered our games all the time....I'd watch and beg to find radio/online coverage....complete amateurs.

Our own Auburn announcers are just as clueless. Hate to say it but the lead play by play butchers stuff every inning..

(On a 2-2 count) "Here comes the payoff pitch," is my favorite.

Second is, "grand slam home run!"

Yep. Everything after the first pitch was a "payoff pitch". :lol:/> Last night (watched the highlights with his commentary on them) on the play in the 7th, he said grounder to 2nd, she tags Carosone...etc.... Totally ignoring the fact that if she had tagged Carosone, she wouldn't have thrown to SECOND BASE to get the force out. I know he's learning on the fly but there are just some things you should know BEFORE you even attempt to call a game for a public audience. I hope he does continue to work and improves.

My other issue is, he gets WAY too excited when our opponent does something big, like a home run or a base hit that scores a run or multiple runs. Hey dude, you are Auburn's announcer you aren't supposed to be excited when our opponent does something that's beneficial to them...I want those calls to be the most disinterested approach ever....:lol:/>

I think there were at least 3 mistakes in just those highlights. I was going to warn you in case you hadn't seen them yet.

Honestly I think his biggest problem is he gets in a big hurry and tries to describe too much at times. Needs to slow down just a tick.

Diving catch was the play of the Game

That catch won this game for AU, imo. That ball gets to the fence and FSU gets two more in that inning.

Great win by AU! Bottom of the lineup comes thru in the 8th!

On to the CWS CHAMPIONSHIP!! WAR EAGLE!!

What a fantastic game, but man I am glad it ended when it did. I was nervous for the play at the plate because Podany was slow taking off. The high throw won it, but yes you have to try to send her, especially in softball. It is so hard to throw out a base runner by tagging on an infield play like that. The best thing about Drapers catch was that it robbed the girl that got the ball past her the last at bat. Great karma!

From a strategic standpoint was that a good decision to run for home? I thought for sure they were going to nail her.

My thought also - maybe make them look at you and then throw to first but why risk the out at home - take the out at first with another chance to bring her home with only one out. And that had to be a pre-hit decision that she was going no matter what. I guess Clint knew that under the pressure, they would have to make the play at that home ump was ready to end the game!

It was pre determined, probably something on the order of "Anywhere but back to the pitcher and you're gone!" These bases are 60 feet, not 90 as in baseball. If the FSU player hadn't made a truly exceptional play it wouldn't even have been close at the plate.

If Jordan didn't knock her in the next two up were both slappers, and you'd be right back with trying to beat an infield throw anyway, but this time with the infielders drawn in. I liked the call.

Yep. In baseball the thought is the same, unless it's right at you or the pitcher you run. Was it a bit of a gamble? Yes, but that's how you play it.

Yep. As in baseball or softball only if the ball is hit to the pitcher does the runner hold. Meyers put in the faster runner just for this possible play. Got to sender her with punch hitters coming up.

It's so amazing how Meyers has gotten this team playing championship ball for the last 2 years.

Remember other than his starting pitchers most of the core of his top hitters were not recruited by Meyers (Carosone, Rhodes, Fagan, Cooper, and Jordan). Most of these stars were playing on an avg Auburn team the year before Meyers got here. He turned them into all-sec and all-Americans.

And he turned a freshmen and transfer sophomore pitcher into starters even though he had 3 senior pitchers that were the main starters last year in their first WS appearance.

He knows what he is doing and we are so fortunate to have him.

Yep. As in baseball or softball only if the ball is hit to the pitcher does the runner hold. Meyers put in the faster runner just for this possible play. Got to sender her with punch hitters coming up.

It's so amazing how Meyers has gotten this team playing championship ball for the last 2 years.

Remember other than his starting pitchers most of the core of his top hitters were not recruited by Meyers (Carosone, Rhodes, Fagan, Cooper, and Jordan). Most of these stars were playing on an avg Auburn team the year before Meyers got here. He turned them into all-sec and all-Americans.

And he turned a freshmen and transfer sophomore pitcher into starters even though he had 3 senior pitchers that were the main starters last year in their first WS appearance.

Granted they were freshman so you would expect some development. Meyers took it to another level though.

It is exciting just to read tbe game thread. I think I will try to watch more softball next year. They are killing it consistently.

An interesting transition this season for the team.....lost two key infielders right away and had "3rd string" SS playing almost the entire season plus some walk-ons and managed to work around some batting weaknesses to take advantage of the three solid hitters. Teams tried to pitch around Carosone and Cooper late in the season but fortunately the two hitters did not get frustrated and swing at bad pitches....took their walks or HBP and let team mates continue the inning.

This must have been a hard season for Lexi Davis and Marcy Harper who were the major pitchers the previous two years....arrived at AU before there was any thought of Clint Myers or a WCWS in Auburn's future. They were important in the Tigers first trip to Oklahoma City and have been much less of a factor this season with the arrival of Martin and Carlson....but they have been resolute and done their best when called on and are in the middle of any team celebration.

My nerves are mostly shot after the game last night...but can't wait for game 1 of the championship series.

Decent game

Indeed

By the way, Draper's catch was #1 on ESPN's top ten today. What a clutch catch.

Granted they were freshman so you would expect some development. Meyers took it to another level though.

More important in my mind is that he did not come here with the mentality of getting rid of current players and bringing in his own players....and has managed to bring that group along plus a couple key additions to the pitching staff this year.

Archived