Ideal QB Situation

tigerbrotha12

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

My understanding is the leadership issues is off the field with him being a South Florida boy who likes to party while Gus wants him to be more serious about football off the field.

As for him as a teammate which is the theme of your post I've heard he's always willing to throw with the boys & motivates guys in the weight room. He appears to be a good teammate in that the entire offensive personnel likes him a lot. Lastly most QBs are cocky on some level. That does not make them me guys & not team guys. Peyton Manning is a perfect example. He was cocky when it came to his football accumen within the league because he was talented & worked his ass off try learn & know everything he could but was a team player too. Tom Brady is another one FWIW.

This is correct. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the feeling when SW was in the games that the team responded well to him and seemed to want him playing more so than JJ.

The team, to me, seemed to run smoother with him. A lot of growing pains, but they seemed more efficient.

I really don't get the high expectations for some of JFIII starting right away at QB. Just dont think they are realistic. The same people who think this, are the same ones that complained about Nick Marshall's passing ability when Nick is light years ahead of JFIII at this point. If we want to just basically play a scatback as a QB, then yes he can play the position. Maybe we can win with that at QB, who knows. From what I've seen though, JFIII has a loooong way to go to be even an effective passer. Whether we like it or not, White is our best option right now, and JFIII needs to keep working hard just as he is doing. I really would have liked to see JFIII get some outside help on his passing this summer since he cant work with the coaches.

33 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I really don't get the high expectations for some of JFIII starting right away at QB. Just dont think they are realistic. The same people who think this, are the same ones that complained about Nick Marshall's passing ability when Nick is light years ahead of JFIII at this point. If we want to just basically play a scatback as a QB, then yes he can play the position. Maybe we can win with that at QB, who knows. From what I've seen though, JFIII has a loooong way to go to be even an effective passer. Whether we like it or not, White is our best option right now, and JFIII needs to keep working hard just as he is doing. I really would have liked to see JFIII get some outside help on his passing this summer since he cant work with the coaches.

He did........... 

44 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

He did........... 

I could be wrong but I don't think that three or four days with a run of the mill NFL quarterback will transform him into an SEC caliber passing quarterback. 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think that three or four days with a run of the mill NFL quarterback will transform him into an SEC caliber passing quarterback. 

True.  And I doubt JFIII has Vick's running ability (which is the only reason Vick played QB in the NFL).

Let me add that we do not need JFIII to be a Manning or Brady throwing the ball.  He just needs to be as good as Nick Marshall throwing the ball while also running the zone read like Nick and having the poise that Nick did.:cool:

wde

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I was merely commenting that he did seek outside help. I don't know if it will payoff either. Fingers crossed it or some coaching from the staff will work.

35 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

True.  And I doubt JFIII has Vick's running ability (which is the only reason Vick played QB in the NFL).

Let me add that we do not need JFIII to be a Manning or Brady throwing the ball.  He just needs to be as good as Nick Marshall throwing the ball while also running the zone read like Nick and having the poise that Nick did.:cool:

wde

Agree. The way we were running the ball in 2013 Nick rarely needed to throw. That's why i still think JF3 eventually has a good shot of being our starter at some point in the season. I just need to see what and if any changes are implemented by Gus as it relates to SW. I don't think we need a ton from either QB but will we place them in better position to succeed is my biggest question esp. with SW. 

56 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If you read the article, he spent 3 or 4 days with a QB coach. Vick being there was just the little something extra that made it news worthy in sports writers eyes.

Though, even with that fact on the table, the current reports we are reading are basically saying that he didn't get enough help with his mechanics to turn the corner.

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

I know this is about JFIII but that is a ridiculous statement. Mike Vick has a cannon of an arm as well too. 

4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

That is no small task, unfortunately for us right now. Nick Marshall was a hell of a football player. Not saying you didn't imply that but man it'd be awesome to have someone like him at QB again

NIck Marshall was one hell of  a QB.  I personally could never understand a thing he said; but his team-mates sure could...because he was the clear leader on the field and I frankly thought he had his head more about him than the coaching staff.   While not a polished passer in JUCO, he threw the ball a mile, threw while moving, was fearless and was a gamer....  The only ding on NM in JUCO was so many INT's...but that was because he was all that team had and he was forced to make all the plays....look at his Auburn INT ratio...pretty awesome.  If JFIII is anything like NM, then he should start. ... haven't seen any of his film, so can't really comment from watching him....

34 minutes ago, japantiger said:

NIck Marshall was one hell of  a QB.  I personally could never understand a thing he said; but his team-mates sure could...because he was the clear leader on the field and I frankly thought he had his head more about him than the coaching staff.   While not a polished passer in JUCO, he threw the ball a mile, threw while moving, was fearless and was a gamer....  The only ding on NM in JUCO was so many INT's...but that was because he was all that team had and he was forced to make all the plays....look at his Auburn INT ratio...pretty awesome.  If JFIII is anything like NM, then he should start. ... haven't seen any of his film, so can't really comment from watching him....

Yep, I think A LOT of AU fans took NM for granted and only bemoaned his shortcomings ignoring all the things he could do on the field. From what I've seen of JFIII, athletically he is near Marshall, but he lacks Nicks passing skill, and I have no idea on his leadership abilities. I can't forget that awful dump pass to the back that JFIII attempted in the ADay game. You can't have someone at QB who is going to miss passes like that.

1 hour ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yep, I think A LOT of AU fans took NM for granted and only bemoaned his shortcomings ignoring all the things he could do on the field. From what I've seen of JFIII, athletically he is near Marshall, but he lacks Nicks passing skill, and I have no idea on his leadership abilities. I can't forget that awful dump pass to the back that JFIII attempted in the ADay game. You can't have someone at QB who is going to miss passes like that.

You have mentioned a couple of times "from what you have seen". Not calling you out but do you get to attend some practices? We all saw ADay and no QB looked good. It would be great to have insight from someone that has attended some spring practices. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

He is nowhere close to NMas far as passing goes.

All I have seen on that front is A-day...and NM didn't look like a world beater in his 1st a-day (neither did CAM)...who has seen his HS films or JUCO films?

10 minutes ago, japantiger said:

All I have seen on that front is A-day...and NM didn't look like a world beater in his 1st a-day (neither did CAM)...who has seen his HS films or JUCO films?

Keep in mind that Nick M arrived at AU with 3000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing at Garden City JUCO.    Despite the INTS, those were some serious stats.   JF3 is not even in the same ballpark.    He might turn out to be what we are looking for but there is nothing in his past to indicate that he could even carry Nick's chin strap......JMO.

I have said it before and I will say it again. JF3 is bandaid for a gunshot wound. He is not a QB. Like Nick, he would be an athlete playing QB. Unfortunately, we are trying to catch lightning in a bottle again. This kid is going to get overly criticized and have big expectations that would be very hard to meet. It is already happening. Maybe he can become an adequate passer? I don't know, but I rather not have to deal with someone who is extremely inaccurate behind the center. Of course, if we would lay the blame where it should be, all of this constant bickering could subside some. I mean we do have two QBs, who we recruited to lead us to the promise land. Where exactly are they? It is time to put up or shut up.

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Nick & Cam were much better passers through that point in their careers despite A Day struggles.

Here is my question to you JF3 guys. Take some time and research Jason Smith compared to JF3. Smith is just about as fast and a much better thrower. Was recruited from Highschool as a qb played junior college and had much better results than JF 3. Jason came in with the same opportunity as JF3. So why would you expect a qb that is not as good as Jason to succeed where Jason did not. WDE

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Here is my question to you JF3 guys. Take some time and research Jason Smith compared to JF3. Smith is just about as fast and a much better thrower. Was recruited from Highschool as a qb played junior college and had much better results than JF 3. Jason came in with the same opportunity as JF3. So why would you expect a qb that is not as good as Jason to succeed where Jason did not. WDE

JF3 has world class speed. Jason smith is not as fast as JF3. I do not believe JF3 is going to be the passer we need to become a true contender (I hope I am wrong). I do believe since he does have world class speed, Gus is hoping he can make him into an adequate QB in due time, because of such. The good thing about JF3 is he does have world class speed, so if he doesn't play QB, he could be used at other places. Here is my question for you. Why the hell, hasn't our other QBs stepped up? Why does it seem like Gus is going is putting all of his cards in this project? That is the real question people need to be asking. At this point, I believe SW will start, BUT only because there is no other desired choice at the moment. Let that sink in. That is troubling.

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

AU recruited Jason as an WR w/ a shot at QB out of high school & juco, not as a QB in either case. I have no clue on the thrower part though

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Nick only had one A-day his 2nd year and he looked pretty good. He didn't arrive til fall his first season.

Archived