Ideal QB Situation

tigerbrotha12

16 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Personally, I'm glad to see some people in JJ's corner. I have my doubts that he will be the starter, but I don't remember anyone going to bat for him during spring training.

Depends on what you call "going to bat". The overriding sentiment I've seen going back to early last season is exactly what you just said: we hope he will but don't think he can. Most people seem to want the kid to succeed, but the evidence doesn't suggest that he'll overtake the other guys on the depth chart.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Depends on what you call "going to bat". The overriding sentiment I've seen going back to early last season is exactly what you just said: we hope he will but don't think he can. Most people seem to want the kid to succeed, but the evidence doesn't suggest that he'll overtake the other guys on the depth chart.

What I mean by going to bat is that I've seen more people suggesting he could indeed win the starting spot this season recently than any other time since last season. He definitely needs something to click for him if he is to be successful, but I'm loathe to count him out...even though I do still think JF3 will ultimately win the starting spot.

Just now, Rednilla said:

What I mean by going to bat is that I've seen more people suggesting he could indeed win the starting spot this season recently than any other time since last season. He definitely needs something to click for him if he is to be successful, but I'm loathe to count him out...even though I do still think JF3 will ultimately win the starting spot.

Ahh, gotcha. I suppose some additional distance from the trainwreck of last season might de-fog some of our points of view. Usually does mine. 

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

I think the reasonable people never really cared who the QB is, as long as it is the best player.  That said, the noise from the stalwarts and detractors of particular players tends to drown out reason.

Personally, a 6'5" 230+ lbs QB would always be my preference over 6'0" 200 lbs, assuming everything else is equal.

51 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I think the reasonable people never really cared who the QB is, as long as it is the best player.  That said, the noise from the stalwarts and detractors of particular players tends to drown out reason.

Personally, a 6'5" 230+ lbs QB would always be my preference over 6'0" 200 lbs, assuming everything else is equal.

Plus, imagine the press we'd get from that "feel good" story.  Train wreck turns into star QB... can't get better than that. We'd be mentioned on every football show, in a positive light.

On top of that, the turn-around would be recruiting gold for QBs.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

JJ is a great kid. Super kid. Saying that I'm told he is a distant 3rd at QB. Woody has a better shot at starting. 

43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

JJ is a great kid. Super kid. Saying that I'm told he is a distant 3rd at QB. Woody has a better shot at starting. 

This is unfortunate if true, and also not surprising.

54 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I would be inclined to think that once you get benched like that, it is a tough road to reclaim that spot.  It probably did not help that he did not exactly light it up when he got to start again after Sean White's injury.  An absolutely mind-blowing fall is likely his only shot left.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yeah, after not hearing much positivity from those who would hear it on the inside, I get the feeling that something drastic would have to happen for him to get a real shot.

19 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, after not hearing much positivity from those who would hear it on the inside, I get the feeling that something drastic would have to happen for him to get a real shot.

How JJ's problems were not recognized before we kicked off against Louisville is not excusable to me on the coaching staff's part.

wde

22 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lived across the hall from him in S. Donahue and ran into him from time to time. Always a really nice dude, always down to just talk to folks. Which was good for him because he locked himself out of his room more times than I can count :rollin:

On 7/17/2016 at 7:24 PM, WarTiger said:

I see this posted from time to time and it just makes no sense.  A player can get injured in any game they participate.  The level of competition is totally irrelevant to injuries.

A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.

On 7/21/2016 at 10:46 AM, McLoofus said:

Ahh, gotcha. I suppose some additional distance from the trainwreck of last season might de-fog some of our points of view. Usually does mine. 

My entire argument as far as the qb change was why pull jj right before that easy stretch of games. If he could have been saved IMO, that was the only way to do so. Get some scrub games under his belt and let him see success. Instead the worst thing happened. Let sw play those games he gets hurt jj plays all the tough games gets so shell shocked that more than likely he'll be too far gone

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

My entire argument as far as the qb change was why pull jj right before that easy stretch of games. If he could have been saved IMO, that was the only way to do so. Get some scrub games under his belt and let him see success. Instead the worst thing happened. Let sw play those games he gets hurt jj plays all the tough games gets so shell shocked that more than likely he'll be too far gone

They might have already thought he was to far gone and need Sean to get acclimated for that stretch. 

Yes I thought about that but I can't imagine two or three games with one of them being a loss could be too far gone, especially with good things sprinkled in as well. The only disaster game was lsu. The jax st game was bad but at the same time he led a winning drive and that had to be an incredible amount of pressure in itself. 

But you could be right unfortunately though it played out like it did and we still don't know anything

On 7/22/2016 at 9:05 AM, AUIH1 said:

How JJ's problems were not recognized before we kicked off against Louisville is not excusable to me on the coaching staff's part.

wde

So you expect them to see into the future and know that JJ wasn't going to perform up to expectations in front of 87,000 people?   Sorry, it doesn't work that way nor is it even remotely realistic.   A performance in practice is NOTHING like game day on the biggest stage in the best conference in the country.    There are lots of players that practice well but don't seem to perform as well in the lights. Conversely there are people that perform better in the spot light than they practice.   When he had his opportunities in previous seasons he performed quite well. 

My only criticism of the coaching staff is not equally developing all available QB's in case something like (or an injury) happened.  It's the coaches job to have everybody prepared and that includes backups, especially at QB where they are always one snap away from getting into the game.   But to expect them to know how a player will perform on the games biggest stage before it happens is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

So you expect them to see into the future and know that JJ wasn't going to perform up to expectations in front of 87,000 people?   Sorry, it doesn't work that way nor is it even remotely realistic.   A performance in practice is NOTHING like game day on the biggest stage in the best conference in the country.    There are lots of players that practice well but don't seem to perform as well in the lights. Conversely there are people that perform better in the spot light than they practice.   When he had his opportunities in previous seasons he performed quite well. 

My only criticism of the coaching staff is not equally developing all available QB's in case something like (or an injury) happened.  It's the coaches job to have everybody prepared and that includes backups, especially at QB where they are always one snap away from getting into the game.   But to expect them to know how a player will perform on the games biggest stage before it happens is ridiculous.

Based on what has been posted here and other places JJ was never put in a real game like situation in practice at all last year before the real games started.  Heck, Muschamp  complained about how soft our practices were.  If I am not mistaken, Nick Marshall was live on occasion prior to the 2013 season.  

wde

keep in mind that jj did have a small amount of game play, (including 2 starts......one in an sec game) that would lead the coaching staff to believe he would be able to handle the pressure.  it is what it is.  I hope everyone has learned from the experience and is ready to capitalize this season.  WDE

JJ is a great kid but i've longed moved on. It would be an incredible story if he could come back a redeem himself similar to Jason Campbell but i doubt he'll get that chance unless something drastically happens. Just felt like he had his chances to show some signs that he could turn it around. Sucks b/c the kid is amazing physically. However, i wouldn't be opposed to using him in the redzone if SW or JF3 struggles in that area. IMO the more the field shrunk for JJ the better he looked. Oddly i'd have a great deal of trust in him from 20 yards in. Just seemed to me that when he was down in the redzone his instincts just took over more. 

On 7/13/2016 at 3:16 PM, lionheartkc said:

There are 3 idea situations in absolutely no particular order.

1. John's hard work pays off and he becomes one of the fastest complete QBs to ever play college football.

2. The freshman receivers come in ready to roll and Sean becomes the leader Gus wants him to be. Then John gets to come in and shock the world with his speed from the wildcat/sweep, on appropriate occasions.

3. Jeremy miraculously becomes the QB he was in practice, last year, while on the field, and Gus writes some plays where he and John, combined with Jovon, become a scary three headed monster.

In all of these, the QB is named within the first few days of Fall.  Oh... and Woody sits, learns and enjoys being a freshman.

:thumbsup:

On 7/23/2016 at 1:08 AM, cole256 said:

It's a fair observation. But we'll likely never know the truth. I'm moving on.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:52 AM, AUIH1 said:

Based on what has been posted here and other places JJ was never put in a real game like situation in practice at all last year before the real games started.  Heck, Muschamp  complained about how soft our practices were.  If I am not mistaken, Nick Marshall was live on occasion prior to the 2013 season.  

wde

This is 100% correct 

13 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

:thumbsup:

The ideal situation would be.........

#4 -  The freshman receivers come in ready to roll and Sean becomes the leader Gus wants him to be. And Sean White never looks back. 

Told yesterday that JF3 is still struggling throwing the ball. Makes Nick Marshall look like Payton Manning. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The ideal situation would be.........

#4 -  The freshman receivers come in ready to roll and Sean becomes the leader Gus wants him to be. And Sean White never looks back. 

Told yesterday that JF3 is still struggling throwing the ball. Makes Nick Marshall look like Payton Manning. 

Not surprising...throwing ability was really bad at A-Day.  No zip, no accuracy, long delivery time.

Archived