Ideal QB Situation

tigerbrotha12

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

Nick only had one A-day his 2nd year and he looked pretty good. He didn't arrive til fall his first season.

Cam's ADay performance was light years better than JF3...he sailed a few too high and too hot, but otherwise had the pocket presence of an elite QB.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bigbird said:

It may appear that way, but it's not true. As E mentioned, Gus  wants SW to be more serious.

Understandable. Like I said it was JMO. 

Totally off topic but I had a dream last night of the Clemson game, JF3 was the QB & we struggled mightily. We were losing 19-0 going into the 4th quarter. With like 5 mins left we got a INT & scored. I don't know how but I remember on the kick-off we done like an onside pooch kick & got it. We had the ball down 19-7 with not much time left then I woke up. In the dream I felt the comeback coming but wasn't sure if we had enough time. Thought I'd share that ?

well, while we are talking about dreams, here's one........  Woody comes in as the most polished True Freshman QB we have ever seen.  Has ultimate leadership skills, the team rallies behind him, and steals the starting role the first week of fall camp.  He takes the college football world by storm, becomes the Heisman front runner for a period of time, and leads us to a playoff birth.  We can all wish for something.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

JF3 has world class speed. Jason smith is not as fast as JF3. I do not believe JF3 is going to be the passer we need to become a true contender (I hope I am wrong). I do believe since he does have world class speed, Gus is hoping he can make him into an adequate QB in due time, because of such. The good thing about JF3 is he does have world class speed, so if he doesn't play QB, he could be used at other places. Here is my question for you. Why the hell, hasn't our other QBs stepped up? Why does it seem like Gus is going is putting all of his cards in this project? That is the real question people need to be asking. At this point, I believe SW will start, BUT only because there is no other desired choice at the moment. Let that sink in. That is troubling.

This is the quandary we are in. DAG has nailed it. Gus is trying to make JF3 adequate passing the ball because our other QB options otherwise limits our run game too much and the overall passing game from the other 2 is average. I know there are some great stats from Stat about 1st down throwing outside the 30 or 3rd down effiency inside the 20 but the overall passing from both guys was lower half of the conference. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Keep in mind that Nick M arrived at AU with 3000 yards passing and 1000 yards rushing at Garden City JUCO.    Despite the INTS, those were some serious stats.   JF3 is not even in the same ballpark.    He might turn out to be what we are looking for but there is nothing in his past to indicate that he could even carry Nick's chin strap......JMO.

I believe I said above that NM was a hell of a QB; not debating that....have you seen JF films from Juco and what does it tell you?  I hear a lot of expert opinion on what JF can and cannot do...has anyone on here seen him work or studied his JUCO films?  

11 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Totally off topic but I had a dream last night of the Clemson game, JF3 was the QB & we struggled mightily. We were losing 19-0 going into the 4th quarter. With like 5 mins left we got a INT & scored. I don't know how but I remember on the kick-off we done like an onside pooch kick & got it. We had the ball down 19-7 with not much time left then I woke up. In the dream I felt the comeback coming but wasn't sure if we had enough time. Thought I'd share that ?

I had the same dream...after we got the onside kick, Gus replaced JF3 with Braden Smith who handed off up the middle on first and second down for no gain and then threw a double pass out to JJ in the slot who threw a pick six....good thing you woke up...it was a nightmare.

11 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I believe I said above that NM was a hell of a QB; not debating that....have you seen JF films from Juco and what does it tell you?  I hear a lot of expert opinion on what JF can and cannot do...has anyone on here seen him work or studied his JUCO films?  

Go to his recruiting forum thread & decide for yourself. 

Maybe JF3 is there to push Sean (he needs to be pushed from all accounts)?  At this point, we've been overthinking this to death...we'll soon find out where the QBs stand.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe JF3 is there to push Sean (he needs to be pushed from all accounts)?  At this point, we've been overthinking this to death...we'll soon find out where the QBs stand.

Hopefully that's a benefit but you don't bring in a juco QB just to push others. You bring him in expecting him to win the job.

23 hours ago, DAG said:

I know this is about JFIII but that is a ridiculous statement. Mike Vick has a cannon of an arm as well too. 

Having a cannon of an arm does not automatically make someone a good QB at the NFL level.  Without Vick's running ability, he would have never been more than an average at best NFL QB.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No where close. 

Well, IMO, we better hope and pray SW "gets with the program" in terms of putting in the effort Gus wants him to AND that Gus/Rhett/whomever is the OC can coach the SW up.

wde

If JF3 is as bad as a passer as some are eluding to then that concerns me a little that SW hasn't had more separation than he has. 

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

If JF3 is as bad as a passer as some are eluding to then that concerns me a little that SW hasn't had more separation than he has. 

I mean, it's just a case of who's better at what.

Sean White - Strengths: Passing, Weaknesses*: Running

JF3 - Strengths: Running, Weaknesses*: Passing

*Note that when I say "Weakness" I don't mean that the player is bad. I mean that it is (a) not the player's strongest attribute and/or (b) it's what the player doesn't opt to do first. 

I completely understand their different skillsets. It's still concerning that a QB that's been in our system for 3 years doesn't have more separation compared to a JUCO transfer if his passing is so bad as some have stated. He should be able to have more separation in the area he's strongest at doing. 

Yet another thread derailed by QB discussion even though we have QB discussion threads. Ridiculous!

Of course it's likely to go in the direction of QB discussion considering it is about "Ideal QB situation." It is what it is at this point and our biggest hurdle and question mark. I don't see this topic going away until game 1 so i've pretty much accepted that's what the discussion is going to be until that time.  

16 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It's all rumor and innuendo but the feeling I get is he has separated. Just not made official. 

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

It's all rumor and innuendo but the feeling I get is he has separated. Just not made official. 

Pretty much what i was thinking but just wanted to pose the question to those that were saying he's a pretty bad passer. I do feel SW is slightly ahead of JF3 and if we had to play a game tomorrow it would be SW as the starter and feel like he's start against Clemson. However, it still seems like there's not too much separation considering what SW's resume is. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not sure that's accurate. Combining all the informed info the trend is pointing to Sean only slightly ahead right now.

16 hours ago, alexava said:

Nick only had one A-day his 2nd year and he looked pretty good. He didn't arrive til fall his first season.

Nick hit some of his receivers in stride and that did look good. It may have been an A-Day performance but Nick starred down his go to receiver almost every time.  He hardly ever checked down in that performance.  I do understand that the game was a performance and they were putting on a show for the fans.  However, he had the same problem a lot in his last season here as well.  That uat game was by far the best performance of his career at AU IMO.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I completely understand their different skillsets. It's still concerning that a QB that's been in our system for 3 years doesn't have more separation compared to a JUCO transfer if his passing is so bad as some have stated. He should be able to have more separation in the area he's strongest at doing. 

Bingo. 

There has been separation. That said, the coaches want to see how much his work this summer has paid off.

Archived