Favorite obscure Auburn Players

GwillMac6

Some of my favorites are the TRICK DADDY Tristan Davis. DUDE COULD FLY! Will never forget when he basically beat Kentucky on the road on his own plus of course the punt block vs Florida! Another is Blake Field. I was certain he was gonna be the next great Auburn QB he just never got a chance in my head lol.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Tristan have the greatest per carry average of anyone to ever carry the ball as a running back for AU? Seemed like every time he got the ball, he was off on a long distance flight.

Right?! It seemed like every touch he got he was going to house it. You got me curious what his YPC was and its 14! He had some of the greatest straight line speed we ever saw at Auburn.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Right?! It seemed like every touch he got he was going to house it. You got me curious what his YPC was and its 14! He had some of the greatest straight line speed we ever saw at Auburn.

Sports writer: "Coach Tuberville, it seems like every time Tristan Davis touched the ball at tailback he makes big yards or is off to the races and scores. Why isn't he playing tailback full time?"

Coach Tubs: "Well, he has pretty stiff hips and doesn't really move that well ya see..."

4 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Sports writer: "Coach Tuberville, it seems like every time Tristan Davis touched the ball at tailback he makes big yards or is off to the races and scores. Why isn't he playing tailback full time?"

Coach Tubs: "Well, he has pretty stiff hips and doesn't really move that well ya see..."

lol accurate!!! if he had to make a cut or go east and west ehhhhhhhhhhhh he was gonna have problems.

I'm wracking my brain for an obscure player that I would actually consider obscure.  How about...Jason Miska?  Walk on that wound up starting at linebacker for three seasons including Tot's undefeated '93 team.

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

Tubbs was right about that Tristan's turning radious rivaled an old Chevy pickup. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Tubbs was right about that Tristan's turning radious rivaled an old Chevy pickup. 

True. But man...that Chevy had nitrous or something. Couldn't turn but mostly didn't need to.

Does anyone remember a RB named Colis Campbell that was same class with Bo and Fullwood? Would like to have him on roster.

Just now, 17-16 said:

Does anyone remember a RB named Colis Campbell that was same class with Bo and Fullwood? Would like to have him on roster.

Of yeah, I remember Campbell. Very talented back playing mostly reserve to the superhumans on the depth chart in front of him. 

One that comes to mind is Colis Campbell, a back up running back to Bo Jackson, and Lionel James. When he got to play, guy was unstoppable. I still don't remember anyone tackling him. They would just hold on and finally get him out if bounds. 

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Wow, seems Colis impressed a lot if us.

I think he impressed everyone, even the coaches. But man, it was a tall order to break through and start. ("Colis, can you leap tall building in a single bound?" "No coach, not the really tall ones anyway." "Well, keep working on it. In the meantime, Bo and Brent are ahead of you on the depth chart.")

1 minute ago, 17-16 said:

The Evans kid that went to bama. Was his father not a RB on that team as well?

Alan Evans. Yeah. He was, at least according to what passed for recruiting news back then, the prize catch of the class the year he signed. (Recruiting news back then was double plus ungood.)

Evans was the top rated running back in Alabama that year. That is, until he met Bo Jackson. He had been bitter about that ever since. That is why his boy is at AL.

On 10/1/2016 at 7:11 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Evans was the top rated running back in Alabama that year. That is, until he met Bo Jackson. He had been bitter about that ever since. That is why his boy is at AL.

IIRC, Evans had torn up his knee a little before getting to AU and some say he was never quite the same. Personally, I don't think it would have mattered. But yeah, the deal with his son and the way they played the AU staff...well...what kind of man holds a grudge for that many years when no one actually did anything to him? I mean was the staff supposed to say "Sorry Bo, but we don't want to hurt Alan's feelings. Have a seat on the bench over there" or what?

Another, although you couldn't exactly call him obscure since he was a starter. He was however a 2 star recruit, who became a long time star in the NFL. Darren Bates. 

Adlai Trone. Trussville boy that rose from obscurity to start at safety. Also Larry Casher from that same defensive backfield.

Archived