Auburn with shot at Sugar Bowl

abw0004

21 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Could you imagine Alabama losing to a team like Washington? Utah 2.0!

They've got a solid QB and their D actually out ranks ours, except for scoring (I know... Pac 10), so it could happen.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Could you imagine Alabama losing to a team like Washington? Utah 2.0!

Anything can happen in a playoff scenario. Players can easily be looking ahead.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

They've got a solid QB and their D actually out ranks ours, except for scoring (I know... Pac 10), so it could happen.

The Huskies could definitely beat Bama and what a humiliating defeat for them and exuberant joy for us that would be! :bananadance:

2 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

The Huskies could definitely beat Bama and what a humiliating defeat for them and exuberant joy for us that would be! :bananadance:

I just look forward to the ESPN talking heads trying to find excuses for why their unbeatable team got beat.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Gotcha. From a "name brand" viewpoint, beating OU will be better for us. But the way we were limping to the finish line and with all this extra time for Gus to come up with more whirlybird equivalent plays I'm debating whether or not we should just root fot the easier path to a W

I saw no to the easier path but that's just because I'd rather the coaches work their asses off for the month leading up, I feel it would make the bowl practices more intense but who knows. 

I also believe that Gus and Rhett are going to try very hard to have an extremely high offensive output in the bowl. Whether they plan on trying to retain Rhett or help him move on, a big output in the sugar bowl will help make his case. I would hope that with big 12 D's usually being pretty so-so that we'd be able to do that without sean as long as our RBs are healthy. 

Id also like to watch our d take on Mayfield, I think it would be a fun matchup. Might be pretty frustrating to watch too ha

1 hour ago, Dan-0 said:

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I just look forward to the ESPN talking heads trying to find excuses for why their unbeatable team got beat.

Vindication's left the station.

Let's go vindictive?

Just now, AUinTLoosa said:

Vindication's left the station.

Let's go vindictive?

I don't know if I'm ever not a little vindictive when it comes to ESPN talking heads...

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know if I'm ever not a little vindictive when it comes to ESPN talking heads...

Noted, and

Understood.

7 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Don't see AU limping into the Sugar if we go, with over a month to heal ourselves. More than a month for Sean, Pettway, Truit, etc.

From your lips to God's ears... Hopefully Sean's injury is something that can be back to 100% in a month. I'm not concerned about the others... none of theirs appear to be long term issues.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

From your lips to God's ears... Hopefully Sean's injury is something that can be back to 100% in a month. I'm not concerned about the others... none of theirs appear to be long term issues.

I will say I'm not sure if I've even seen someone's injury up in the air as much as SW. I've seen so many rumors from trusted people I don't know what to believe

15 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Anything can happen in a playoff scenario. Players can easily be looking ahead.

I'd be pretty shocked to see Washington beat Alabama. I'll be pulling for Colorado Friday night. I honestly think the committee may put Michigan in the 4-seed if Washington loses (since Michigan beat #6 Wisky, #7 Penn St, and #8 Colorado), and that would be a much tougher matchup IMO.

10 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

I'd be pretty shocked to see Washington beat Alabama. I'll be pulling for Colorado Friday night. I honestly think the committee may put Michigan in the 4-seed if Washington loses (since Michigan beat #6 Wisky, #7 Penn St, and #8 Colorado), and that would be a much tougher matchup IMO.

Trust me as a Michigan fan also (lots of family up there) Alabama would dominate Michigan. Michigan's offense isn't near what Washington's is. Also their QB is nursing a left shoulder injury. Id rather a team with a more dynamic offense like Washington or Ohio St. have a chance against Bama. JMO. 

I don't want to see Bama play an offense like UM's. You gotta bring some firepower to the table to beat Bama. You can't out-Bama Bama. It just doesn't work.

But Washington is going to be in for a rude awakening when/if they line up against Bama. They haven't seen a defense like that. Really nobody outside of the SEC has, but those Pac12 guys truly have no idea what happens in SEC country.

Our best bet is Clemson gets revenge on Bama from last year. Deshaun Watson will make things happen. I think Clemson can beat Alabama actually, even though they have looked stuck in the mud this year. 

Don't know if it's been discussed on here yet but who would y'all rather play in the sugar bowl Oklahoma or Ok State? Personally I'd rather not have to face Mayfield he's a pretty dynamic QB who could hurt us. 

2 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Don't know if it's been discussed on here yet but who would y'all rather play in the sugar bowl Oklahoma or Ok State? Personally I'd rather not have to face Mayfield he's a pretty dynamic QB who could hurt us. 

OU because of 2004.

A matchup with OU is likely more meaningful to most Auburn fans—for the reason ellitor mentioned, if nothing else. It would also be our shot at evening the record (see '71 season Sugar Bowl).

I'll enjoy either matchup. I have several friends and co-workers who are big football fans and alumnus of either OU or OSU, so either way it will be interesting for me. I've never been to Stillwater, but from what I understand (and in some cases have observed), their fanbase/culture is much more similar to AU than that of OU.

Kind of leaning Oklahoma.  It may be because of game adjustments due to the types of offense, but Oklahoma seems to have a lot of trouble stopping the run with their front 7, while half of oklahoma's rush yards came on one big play.  Also, I don't think Mayfield will have as long to run in the pocket vs Auburn.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Baker Mayfield could be a problem 

Especially if you give him all day in the pocket, he will pick you apart. His receivers are great at breaking out of routes and getting open. I think our D could get more pressure on him than OSU, who is getting none.

Looks like we'll get our rematch. Here's to hoping we represent Auburn well... and represent the SEC better than Bama has in their last three Sugar Bowls.

Gonna be interesting. Mayfield can run and throw. They have 2 good powerful running backs and that receiver has been on a tear for about the last 5-6 games until the concusion today. Fortunately their run defense is not very good, so we could control time of possession. 

After Florida´s pathetic performance, even worse than ours, against UAT in the SEC Championship I guess it´s a done deal now that we´ll be in the Sugar Bowl with OU.

Now, I just wish I could get excited about. I guess we could look at it as a chance for CGM and his staff to win AU´s fan base back, a great percentage they lost in the last month or so. So, here we go....show us what you can do, Gus!

The turds will lose in the 1st round whoever they play. It will happen & mark it down and pay homage to the Doc on this one!

Archived