Softball vs Oklahoma Game Thread

Championship  quality game . Glad we got that last run . 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YESSS!!! We got that monkey off our backs! Time to focus on the Huskies!

Edit: Now I can get back to work. lol TTYL peeps!

Quality outing for Martin to get the win and great save by Carlson. I'll take that all year. AU isn't going to strike out a ton of batters, but getting easy ground balls is great. I do hope Martin can go a little longer in the future before she starts getting pitches up, and it was amazing to see the OU pitcher go so long in the first game (150+ pitches?) but what AU lacks in Ks, they make up for in pitching depth.

Just now, jared52 said:

Thanks for handling the play by play duties @ellitor.

You were better & quicker at it when you chimed in. I should have just let you do it. :)

Just now, ellitor said:

You were better & quicker at it when you chimed in. I should have just let you do it. :)

Nah, I was checking in and out. Couldn't be 100% focused on the game at work.

Thank you for the PBP!!!! I''ve been in and out of meetings all afternoon and you helped me out!!! WDE!

How 'bout them ladies?!?!?!?

Great game.  I didn't know Oklahoma had acquired Lowery from Missouri.  She carried them last Year.  Went deep over 100 pitches a lot.  Like others, I was surprised she was still striking us out at the end of the game.  She's a weapon to go with Parker, whom Gasso didn't let us see.  I think she expects to see us again in OKC.  Auburn looked ready to play, and lots of players contributed.  Veach with two dingers has to be the shero of the game, but I was so glad to see Shea get that RBI single in the first.  That had to chase some ghosts.  We had no errors in the game, and only 2 or 3 walks.  Great job, ladies.

As noted, OK picked up another serious pitcher....maybe they realized that the AU approach was an improvement rather than working Parker to death in critical moments.  Good chance we will see them again.....but an excellent game by both teams....looked in mid-season form.....the advantage of an experienced line-up.....and good coaching.   

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

This is the #1 team they are playing.

OU is/was playing the #1 team.

FIFY

Thanks ellitor and Jared 52 for the PBP - had to follow at work, now I can watch the recording at ease knowing We win.

VEAAAAAAAAAAAACH!!!!!!!!!! what a clutch performance by the youngster!!!! big time plating 2 bombs against the number 1 team in the country. BOOOOOOOM BABY!!!!!! War Damn eagle and War Damn Auburn softball!!!

So if the series would have continued,  we have split with OU. That was a great game.  I think our girls got gassed a little in the Washington game. I was hoping for a sweep after the OU game.  That's a tough opening against 2 tough pitchers. I like our fight though.  We are legit. 

The scheduling of this tourney did us no favors. Oklahoma got to play byu the second game. We should of got a easier game in nebraska then played washington tomorrow. playing 2 top 15 teams in 1 day is a lot.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The scheduling of this tourney did us no favors. Oklahoma got to play byu the second game. We should of got a easier game in nebraska then played washington tomorrow. playing 2 top 15 teams in 1 day is a lot.

There's nothing wrong with the way this tournament was scheduled.  We don't always get to pick who we play (when we get to the post season).  In the WCWS every team we face will likely be highly ranked (minus an upset or 2 in the super regional round), so this will actually help us going forward.

4 hours ago, WarTiger said:

There's nothing wrong with the way this tournament was scheduled.  We don't always get to pick who we play (when we get to the post season).  In the WCWS every team we face will likely be highly ranked (minus an upset or 2 in the super regional round), so this will actually help us going forward.

Yes. I agree completely. Every team in this tournament plays 4 games in 3 days. It just so happened that our double header day had OU and UW. This is nothing but good. Last year, we had to beat Bama and Florida on the same day in the SEC Tournament because of rain. We ended up winning the SEC Tournament and it set up our post season run. 

6 hours ago, WarTiger said:

ok then why was oklahoma gifted a easier opponent the second game and we were not? I stand by what I said wholeheartedly. The marquee teams in the tournament should be looked out more favorably so you could get the best possible matchup when both teams are more fresh and rested.

In the first game, we did not face OU's ace, Paige Parker, who we (like everyone else that faced her) had a hard time hitting.  Second game, we faced UW's ace, who had our girls struggling for solid contact.  High probably both of those teams will be in playoffs and we may face them in regionals or WCWS and have to go against their ace at that time.  This will only help us gt better.

Just now, GBAU83 said:

In the first game, we did not face OU's ace, Paige Parker, who we (like everyone else that faced her) had a hard time hitting.  Second game, we faced UW's ace, who had our girls struggling for solid contact.  High probably both of those teams will be in playoffs and we may face them in regionals or WCWS and have to go against their ace at that time.  This will only help us gt better.

its the first series of the season. we should of been rewarded some breaks as the number 2 team in the country. Its feb not tourney time.

Archived