Burns unconcerned about Davis

aubiefifty

Auburn's Kodi Burns unconcerned about Kyle Davis missing spring

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Kyle Davis has not been practicing with Auburn this spring, but wide receivers coach Kodi Burns does not believe the absence will affect the sophomore. 

"Whenever you have personal deals, you worry about that and then you come back whenever that time may be and we'll make sure we get you right," Burns told reporters at the Auburn Athletics Complex Tuesday. "I'm not too much concerned about it."

Davis has been dealing with what head coach Gus Malzahn called "personal business." Malzahn initially expected Davis to return after Auburn's spring break earlier this month, but later said he's unsure whether he'll return before fall camp.

When contacted by AL.com last week, Davis' father declined to say what the issue is.

The 6-foot-2, 213-pounder was limited for most of Auburn's spring practices in 2016 with injuries. He played in all 13 games last season with one start. He caught 12 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns to rank third among Auburn receivers.

Davis was projected by many to be one of Auburn's top receivers in 2017.

"We're rooting for Kyle," Burns said. "It's personal matters and all those things. We'll just see when it happens.

"I think he can pick up in the fall. He's a guy that, you know, played some last year. So he understands the offense and kind of what we do. I know we tweaked a few things, but I think he'll be fine."

If only Gus wouldn't call everything personal business. I know that we don't have the right to know what is going on in the kid's life, but it would be nice if Gus would just say something like, "he isn't in trouble, he is in good standing". That way everyone who cares about Auburn football could breath easy.

26 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If only Gus wouldn't call everything personal business. I know that we don't have the right to know what is going on in the kid's life, but it would be nice if Gus would just say something like, "he isn't in trouble, he is in good standing". That way everyone who cares about Auburn football could breath easy.

Reading between the lines, I'm lead to believe that KD is not in any "trouble" in the sense of any violation of team rules or conduct. My sense is that he is focusing on some school work. He's still in class. The coaches are "rooting for him." That's my take away. 

He's also good enough to warrant giving him time off to ensure his participation for the summer and fall. 

59 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I believe he has said that. At least twice. 

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

But but but.... We have nothing else to do but worry about it because IT'S SPRING!!!

27 minutes ago, alexava said:

If he has, I apologize. I hadn't seen anything concrete that confirmed that he isn't in the dog house. I guess, if I was struggling academically, I wouldn't want my coaches announcing it to the world. Hopefully that is all it is, and he can push through and stay eligible.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If he has, I apologize. I hadn't seen anything concrete that confirmed that he isn't in the dog house. I guess, if I was struggling academically, I wouldn't want my coaches announcing it to the world. Hopefully that is all it is, and he can push through and stay eligible.

I also think that if he were in serious trouble academically, we would have heard about it from people on this board. My feeling is that these measures may be preventative more than anything else. And again, I'm only piecing this together in my own mind. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Not being a smart A, but I missed those also.  Do you happen to have a link? (and if it was a video, i don't watch those, so that could be also).

Gentlemen, KD is not in any trouble with the coaches or the law. It is a personal issue and that is all I am gonna say. Yes I do know what it is. He will be back for the fall. Just let it go. 

4 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

So in other words... "We Gucci"

That phrase didn't work out so well last time it was used. 

6 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Gentlemen, KD is not in any trouble with the coaches or the law. It is a personal issue and that is all I am gonna say. Yes I do know what it is. He will be back for the fall. Just let it go. 

^^^What he said. As long as KB doesn't say the word Gucci...we're all good.

36 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So, basically what the coaches have been saying? ;)

I'm just kidding with you. Thanks for the info. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

That phrase didn't work out so well last time it was used. 

D craigs shades tho made up for it!

I don't know a lot for certain, but I do know Kyle is not currently enrolled at Auburn. No one wants to be clear about what the issue is, and this tells me that it is more significant than most claim. The Auburn staff aren't going to share their true thoughts on the issue. They want to show respect to Kyle and what he is     going through. Unfortunately, he has been away from the team for awhile and is missing a lot of valuable time learning new "tweaks" as Burns mentioned recently. I think it would be very unfair to expect big things from KD upon his return. It's unreasonable to ask a player to learn an entire NEW offense to perfection  in ONE SUMMER and a couple weeks of fall practice. Knowing Gus, he will always start the guy that knows his offense and runs it the best during practice. If you're a more skilled receiver but you're behind on learning the plays/tweaks, then tough luck. 

54 minutes ago, 252AUfan said:

It's unreasonable to ask a player to learn an entire NEW offense to perfection  in ONE SUMMER and a couple weeks of fall practice. 

Aren't we asking them to do that during  Spring practice?   A Summer is more than enough time to learn a scheme...especially with the resources available to players.

21 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

First of all, thanks for posting this.  Didn't reveal a source, didn't say what the issue was, but emphatically put to rest any kind of trouble with the coaches.

Now my question is, Why in the hell can't GM say that?  All he does with "personal issues/business is stir the pot for the fan base, reporters, and message boards.  Is it an ego thing with him? (i.e. I'm the coach and I'll tell you what I want to tell you, when I want to tell you.)

Maybe because it is personal and none of our business.  Maybe because it is spring and people are dying for a story even if they have to make one up.  Maybe because no matter what he said some body would want more.

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

...All he does with "personal issues/business is stir the pot for the fan base, reporters, and message boards.  Is it an ego thing with him? (i.e. I'm the coach and I'll tell you what I want to tell you, when I want to tell you.)

An alternative explanation is that particular pot is eminently and unreasonably prone to stirring/unsettling.

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

An alternative explanation is that particular pot is eminently and unreasonably prone to stirring/unsettling.

All he has to do is say, "KD is taking care of personal business.  He is in good standing with the coaches, has no legal issues, and is in good academic standing." What you gonna speculate then?

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

All he has to do is say, "KD is taking care of personal business.  He is in good standing with the coaches, has no legal issues, and is in good academic standing." What you gonna speculate then?

What you are asking for will eventually put Gus, or any other coach for that matter, in a no win situation. What happens when the next kid actually is having academic issues? Does Gus lie by emphatically telling everyone that there are no issues legally, academically, etc? Or does he tell everyone what the issue is by virtue of not emphatically denying specific areas? The best way to avoid this problem is to consistently say nothing.

4 minutes ago, PotPot said:

What you are asking for will eventually put Gus, or any other coach for that matter, in a no win situation. What happens when the next kid actually is having academic issues? Does Gus lie by emphatically telling everyone that there are no issues legally, academically, etc? Or does he tell everyone what the issue is by virtue of not emphatically denying specific areas? The best way to avoid this problem is to consistently say nothing.

!!!

Archived