Monty Adams and Carl Lawson Draft talk

GwillMac6

10 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Personally , I don't think auburn coaches have done a good enough overall job preparing players for the NFL.  Auburn recruits in the top 10 every year, but struggles in developing players

Auburn recruits inside the top 10 consistently, and has for many years.  But Auburn does not develop that talent at a high enough level to finish seasons ranked in the top 10 consistently, resulting in a lack of NFL ready players.

It's a deficiency that's been an issue for quite some time now.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Linayus said:

And this actually ticks me off. That was the biggest downside of Reese Dismukes as well. Guy is named the best center in college football and all they want to talk about is that his arms are like 2 inches shorter than what they want. Who cares?! Put him on the field and he'll get it done!

Now, if I was out there playing center or DE at 5'7 and 165lbs then you could ignore me. Not because my arms aren't as long as someone with less talent.

Sorry.. rant over. lol

He's not getting it done though.:dunno:

Has anyone thought it could also be the type of player we recruit that doesn't translate to the NFL and not just a development deficiency? Gus and any college coach's first job is to win games at the college level. Players that fit what Gus wants to do do not necessarily fit what NFL programs want to do. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This may start changing a bit with Chip involved, but you need to get the best player to fit your need, not to fit an NFL need. 

30 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yup. And they did put him on the field. A couple times.

Dismukes is an Auburn all-timer, and I'm loathe to bag on the guy, but he's not a good example of someone who didn't get a shot. 

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If Lawson had the measurables of a guy with his talent and skill set he would def go first round. Short arms are a killer for him.

And Lawson is still as a board. Not good for a tweener guy. 

13 hours ago, AURex said:

I was looking at some numbers a couple of days ago, based on a hit-piece in al.com that characterized Bama/Auburn as pros vs Joes.

Auburn has had 23 guys selected in the NFL draft since 2009. Yet Auburn had 26 players on NFL rosters last year. More players on NFL rosters than drafted. In comparison, Bama had 55 guys drafted during the same period, but only 35 on rosters. 1/3 of the Bama players who were drafted didn't stick.

This suggests that the NFL teams are just not very good at evaluating talent. When a team like Auburn has more guys on roster than were drafted, it's obvious that teams are using the wrong criteria on draft day.

That said, not enough of Auburn's players are making it into the NFL. When you have top 10 recruiting classes year after year, yet players are not improving enough to even get to the next level, no matter how they get there .... okay, I'll stop there. You know where this goes.

Shows me AU needs to do a lot better job developing their guys. Think we can all agree on this one. 

11 hours ago, weagl1 said:

If Lawson and Adams don't go in the first two rounds somebody is going to get some steals.  

Don't think Lawson will go until the late 3rd round. Adams should go in the 2nd but could slide into the 3rd. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Auburn recruits inside the top 10 consistently, and has for many years.  But Auburn does not develop that talent at a high enough level to finish seasons ranked in the top 10 consistently, resulting in a lack of NFL ready players.

It's a deficiency that's been an issue for quite some time now.

Thats why i would love to see tuberville back at AU insome capacity. Theres are players from his era still playing in the NFL. I think lindsey+borges makesfor some good offensive player development. Would love to see that on the D side

56 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Has anyone thought it could also be the type of player we recruit that doesn't translate to the NFL and not just a development deficiency? Gus and any college coach's first job is to win games at the college level. Players that fit what Gus wants to do do not necessarily fit what NFL programs want to do. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This may start changing a bit with Chip involved, but you need to get the best player to fit your need, not to fit an NFL need. 

Problem is we haven't been winning enough on the field so may be time for Gus to re-evaluate what he's looking for. Personally, I'd take my chances with a college roster stacked with future NFL talent every time but that's just me.  

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Damn. Are we really reduced to mocking them for no picks in the top half of the first round?

3 picks since you posted that. 3 in the top 20. Meanwhile we'll have none in the top 62. Smh

It's funny what we have to hold on to when we are getting dominated by multiple rivals. Our recent draft history is laughable compared to theirs. Just is. 

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Problem is we haven't been winning enough on the field so may be time for Gus to re-evaluate what he's looking for. Personally, I'd take my chances with a college roster stacked with future NFL talent every time but that's just me.  

I agree. I'm just saying that development may not be the biggest issue here. It could be much more about talent evaluation and selection.

Until Coach G returned we were star gazers in the recruiting department.  Horrible job of projecting and balancing the team.  But hey we had 5 star running backs but no linebackers.  You can't win that way.  Although it worked out for us with Tuberville's hard nosed well coached players and the highly rated guys brought in by Chizik's crew to bump the explosiveness of the team.  

It's no secret Auburn has had a short sighted or in some cases a no sighted view in developing players for the NFL. While these young men are supposed to be coming to school for the chance to get a college education in addition to playing college football, the fact of the matter is 98% of them want and think they belong in the NFL.

Since 2009, we've had 23 players chosen in any round of the drafts. 

Since 2009, Alabama has had 22 players selected in the first round of the drafts. 

53 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Since 2009, Alabama has had 22 players selected in the first round of the drafts. 

On the bright side, they've had more busts. ;)

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

On the bright side, they've had more busts. ;)

Lol...they're putting something in the kool aid down there

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

True, but I would like to find out how many of those players made it past 1 to 3 years as starters in the NFL.  No question first round draft picks look good on paper, but as someone else said just because you are picked in the first round doesn't guarantee longevity in the NFL 

2 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

True, but I would like to find out how many of those players made it past 1 to 3 years as starters in the NFL.  No question first round draft picks look good on paper, but as someone else said just because you are picked in the first round doesn't guarantee longevity in the NFL 

If, and it is a big if, they are smart or have someone to manage their first round money, they will be fine only playing a few years. The later rounds do not pay the big money. The early picks get all of these kids attention. That's where they want to be. Bama gives them that opportunity better than anyone. 

2 hours ago, WDEKC said:

I agree. I'm just saying that development may not be the biggest issue here. It could be much more about talent evaluation and selection.

It's everything altogether, development, evaluation, schemes, coaches, etc.  It takes the total package to build a program that fields a championship contender and funnels players to the pro's every year.  

We've had 3 HC's, 5 or 6 DC's, 4 OC's and multiple position coaches bounce through AU in the last decade.  Our current HC has been training on the job for 5 yrs now, and every year we all hope and pray that he learned a lesson and will miraculously find his way and Auburn football back on track an in contention for championships.  Auburn hasn't had any semblance of the total package and it shows when we bring in top 10 talent every year but can't extrapolate that into top 10 finishes at the end of every season.

Here's hoping THIS is the year!

2 hours ago, Charhair said:

Looking at those numbers we should have never beaten them in 2010 and 2013.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Exactly . I think people think they know more than 32 NFL GMs who get paid exuberant amount of money to get these things right . 

At the highest levels of every major sport, measurables matter. A lot. The greatest example of that for me was a much maligned linebacker we had just a few years ago, who was 6 feet tall, but whose arms were those of a a person 5'9". He could bench press 400 pounds and was a high school tackling machine, but a bust for us. I zeroed in on him every play for the Miss State game his senior year and it was sad. They would send someone out to block him and all they had to do was extend their arms and hold the center mass of his jersey and because of his short arms, he was helpless to shed blocks. His effort was great, but physics won every time. We are recruiting at a high level, just not high enough to consistently compete with Bama right now  

Example: Bama  signs a 4 star safety who is 6'2" and 210 out of high school. He has the wingspan of a guy 6'3 and runs a 4.4 forty . We sign a 4 star safety who is 6' and 175 out of high school. He has a wingspan of a guy 5'11" and runs a 4.5 forty. Over the course of four years and an 85 man roster, little things add up. 

2 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

No, it does not guarantee longevity, but highly rated, blue chip prospects want to get to the league first and foremost and whoever can help them achieve that the best is usually in the drivers seat. College coaches are supposed to win games for their school and get guys to the NFL, after that the player has to make it on their own.  I never fault any team or coach for how a player performs in the league. Jmo. 

I agree. In my original post, I pointed towards player development as an issue, but I also agree with Gowebb11. Recruiting is also a big factor. Not all 4 star players are equal. Not all 5 star or 3 star players are equal. Auburn has recruited well in terms of stars, but anyone who looks can see that when Auburn goes head to head with Bama and LSU for the best players (regardless of stars), Auburn usually doesn't win those battles. That's not a universal. Auburn does pull in a few real gems each year. But Auburn certainly does not succeed at the scale of Bama and LSU in recruiting.

That said, Auburn is still under-performing on the field. Part of that is lack of development of talent, but also unfortunate attrition like Jovon and Duke, some disappointing strike-outs like JJ, and lack of quality depth sideline to sideline.

47 minutes ago, AURex said:

I agree. In my original post, I pointed towards player development as an issue, but I also agree with Gowebb11. Recruiting is also a big factor. Not all 4 star players are equal. Not all 5 star or 3 star players are equal. Auburn has recruited well in terms of stars, but anyone who looks can see that when Auburn goes head to head with Bama and LSU for the best players (regardless of stars), Auburn usually doesn't win those battles. That's not a universal. Auburn does pull in a few real gems each year. But Auburn certainly does not succeed at the scale of Bama and LSU in recruiting.

That said, Auburn is still under-performing on the field. Part of that is lack of development of talent, but also unfortunate attrition like Jovon and Duke, some disappointing strike-outs like JJ, and lack of quality depth sideline to sideline.

we have not taken advantage of our greatest recruiting tool: CAM NEWTON!!!! We should be getting these elite 5 star DT Qbs who are huge cam fans every year. Instead gus wanted to go the pocket passer route........ why? I have no idea. Look at all the stud wrs bama has been able to haul in because of the Julio affect. That is what we should of been doing at QB. Deshaun Watson should of been ours. Cam is his frickin mentor and his favorite athlete. Clemson was not who they are today. I still do not get how we did not land him. He committed to clemson early as well.

Archived