War Eagle, Arkansas

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Really hate to be anybody's shill. but the guy quickly made me quit my decades old habit of mail-ordering bacon from Burger's Smoke House.

https://www.billesbacon.com

Heck of a website. And I try to only get my meat from happy animals. I might have to check this guy out. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Indeed.

We've both learned so much from each other. She taught me how to eat lobster when we visited her grandmother on the Massachusetts coast. I turned her on to Conecuh sausage on Lake Martin. Fried clams vs fried pork chops, wine vs beer... it has gone about as you would expect. 

No better way to win a Connecticut ladies heart Conecuh sausage and Lake Martin. Practically grew up on Castaway Island. No better smell than frying bacon or sausage drifting across the early morning water. 

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Hard to find anything not to love about Fairhope. 

Not sure I've said this to you but,

now that I'm back, I intend to die here

with my butt in an inner tube and a beer on my belly button.

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No better way to win a Connecticut ladies heart Conecuh sausage and Lake Martin. Practically grew up on Castaway Island. No better smell than frying bacon or sausage drifting across the early morning water. 

Parker Creek, here.

Always a special place, but the older I get and the more lakes around the SE I visit, the more special to me it becomes. 

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Not sure I've said this to you but,

now that I'm back, I intend to die here

with my butt in an inner tube and a beer on my belly button.

To this. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Parker Creek, here.

Always a special place, but the older I get and the more lakes around the SE I visit, the more special to me it becomes. 

Mexico Beach FL here,  Auburn Al for Doctor visits, game day, and just the occasional weekend. Love Lake Martini and spend time there often with family on Manoy Creek. Grew up with a family place on Castaway. Visit any lake but hard to beat Lake Martin. Kinda the benchmark for lakes IMO and nothing seems to exceed.

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Mexico Beach FL here,  Auburn Al for Doctor visits, game day, and just the occasional weekend. Love Lake Martini and spend time there often with family on Manoy Creek. Grew up with a family place on Castaway. Visit any lake but hard to beat Lake Martin. Kinda the benchmark for lakes IMO and nothing seems to exceed.

Could not possibly agree more.

And my apologies, meant to say that I somewhat grew up on Parker Creek, as I spent a large chunk of my adolescence in Montgomery and then my folks got a place on Parker Creek when I was at Auburn. They still have it and we still get to drive over from Atlanta on occasion. Will again at the end of this month, actually. 

Also, will be relocating from Atlanta to Hilton Head later this summer, so I will get to join you and @AUld fAUx@ as coastal residents and freshwater part-timers. I have mixed feelings about leaving my life here in Atlanta, but also have a growing suspicion that things will be okay.  

Manoy Creek, nice. VERY close to Auburn. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And my apologies, meant to say that I somewhat grew up on Parker Creek, as I spent a large chunk of my adolescence in Montgomery and then my folks got a place on Parker Creek when I was at Auburn. They still have it and we still get to drive over from Atlanta on occasion. Will again at the end of this month, actually. 

Also, will be relocating from Atlanta to Hilton Head later this summer, so I will get to join you and @AUld fAUx@ as coastal residents and freshwater part-timers. I have mixed feelings about leaving my life here in Atlanta, but also have a growing suspicion that things will be okay.  

Coastal living is hard to beat. Every weekend or day almost has an Auburn Game Day atmosphere. Never visited HH but logged in a bit of time around Charleston and the Isle of Palms. Great food, beautiful place, great people.

19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Coastal living is hard to beat. Every weekend or day almost has an Auburn Game Day atmosphere. Never visited HH but logged in a bit of time around Charleston and the Isle of Palms. Great food, beautiful place, great people.

Love hearing stuff like this. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Love hearing stuff like this. 

You will love it......two places where no one looks at you oddly when thirsty for a beer at 10:00 AM, Auburn Game Day or on the coast.

19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You will love it......two places where no one looks at you oddly when thirsty for a beer at 10:00 AM, Auburn Game Day or on the coast.

No Shirt? No Shoes?

No Problem!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

One minor drift OT (as if we still have a "T" here) - 

My front and back yards, spring-fed and very near the upper limits of tidewater, are considered some of the freshest in the State. Ten-minute drive from the (brackish) Bay and ~45-minutes from the (salty) Gulf.

3 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

My front and back yards, spring-fed and very near the upper limits of tidewater, are considered some of the freshest in the State. Ten-minute drive from the (brackish) Bay and ~45-minutes from the (salty) Gulf.

" Life is Good "

16 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

" Life is Good "

Very, it would seem. 

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very, it would seem. 

Neatest thing is

my grandfather got the place by squatters' rights.

10 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Neatest thing is

my grandfather got the place by squatters' rights.

Seriously??? That is so cool. I love hearing stories like that, particularly when told by good people.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seriously??? That is so cool. I love hearing stories like that, particularly when told by good people.

Maybe "bobber's" rights might be more accurate? He was a surveyor (API, 1909) that found it in tax default. Parked the "cabin cruiser" that he was living in where the pier is now, to establish residency, reconstructed an abstract, and started paying taxes.

11 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Maybe "bobber's" rights might be more accurate? He was a surveyor (API, 1909) that found it in tax default. Parked the "cabin cruiser" that he was living in where the pier is now, to establish residency, reconstructed an abstract, and started paying taxes.

Last time I saw the sign saying Fish River, then passed over it.........I wanted a Margarita. 

10 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Last time I saw the sign saying Fish River, then passed over it.........I wanted a Margarita. 

~1/4 mile downstream of Co.Hwy. 32, Big Daddy's would've happily served you one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

And I trust waters are returning to normal post aggravating Cindy. Beautiful day over here to the east. Mango Marley's along beautiful seaside Mexico Beach tonight for one of the best burgers on the coast. Port St Joe in the morning for cheese grits and all the fixins..... Nothing but a little fishing and a lot of beer after breakfast.  

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

And I trust waters are returning to normal post aggravating Cindy. Beautiful day over here to the east. Mango Marley's along beautiful seaside Mexico Beach tonight for one of the best burgers on the coast. Port St Joe in the morning for cheese grits and all the fixins..... Nothing but a little fishing and a lot of beer after breakfast.  

AOK. Wasn't terribly worried, but was up in Tloosa trying to apply another coat of Rustoleum(TM) on that damn' boat-anchor of a house, with my son down here. Uncertainties in the models, and my 5-hr drive time to return prompted me to abort. Discretion/valor thing. Kyle's not useless, but (growing up in Tloosa) he's not used to what the river can do, and not practiced in appropriate responses. Besides, the dogs were here too.

The worrisome rain band that the worst-cases scenarios had been based on shifted west Wednesday night and our pier never even went under. Today is, indeed, beautiful and "I Love a Rainy Night."

21 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Today is, indeed, beautiful and "I Love a Rainy Night."

A rainy night (or day) spent on a covered porch on the water is better than all the anti-anxiety meds in the world, and no less addictive. 

Had a half-dozen oyster over the weekend, but only three of them worked.

Archived