Very Good Team Very Tough Schedule

corchjay

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I'll buy into the ideas LSU has the athletes to beat anybody and Matt Canada is a promisng young coach, but not getting all this love for him as LSU's latest OC. His claims to fame are Pitt, N.C & Wisco. 

Call it an educated guess if you like. From what I've seen, Canada is the real deal. His scheme and play calling against Clemson was great. He and KB werr my wants when we were doing our OC search.  A lot of people are overlooking him IMO. If I'm wrong, great! 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I think people have completely overlooked on our depth chart is the back-up to Russel on the DL.  Absolutely no one with experience.  So far people have pegged Alec Jackson as his backup, and that worries me.  Anyone at these practices have insights to how his backups are performing?  The interior line is a critical component when the SEC has the running backs that they do.

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

One thing I think people have completely overlooked on our depth chart is the back-up to Russel on the DL.  Absolutely no one with experience.  So far people have pegged Alec Jackson as his backup, and that worries me.  Anyone at these practices have insights to how his backups are performing?  The interior line is a critical component when the SEC has the running backs that they do.

I don't know exactly how the guys listed at DT are doing in practice but we definitely have depth issues there. I do believe that we will probably rotate some bigger DEs into that spot if we needed to. 

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

One burning question.  Who brings the fire?  Who is the leader that grabs someone by the face mask and makes them dig deeper then they thought?  Who plays nasty with reckless abandon laying their body on the line every play? 

I hope we have some nasty on the OL. Smith and Horton, perhaps? Golson was getting a little more swagger towards the end of last year. Hopefully that continues. Hearing good things about Stid as a leader. Cox. I have a good feeling about KD and NCM in that department. Bubba's running style will fire guys up.

Davidson on the DL. A couple our LBs. Tray Matthews on that side, if he can stay healthy. 

21 hours ago, corchjay said:

Forgot one group...

RB - Bubba/KJ

i think the 3 will be a combo package of Miller and K. Mart with Barrett getting carries in mop up to gain some experience.  Might be one of those guys after game 3 somehow they get one of those "unspecified injuries". 

@RunInRed Here ya go... added a few post after the OP.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I hope we have some nasty on the OL. Smith and Horton, perhaps? Golson was getting a little more swagger towards the end of last year. Hopefully that continues. Hearing good things about Stid as a leader. Cox. I have a good feeling about KD and NCM in that department. Bubba's running style will fire guys up.

Davidson on the DL. A couple our LBs. Tray Matthews on that side, if he can stay healthy. 

I agree. I'll single out Deshaun Davis b/c he's a fiery guy and a helluva player. Heard they were taking him out of the 1st scrimmage b/c the offense basically couldn't get anything done when he was in, truly QB'n that defense.

3 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I agree. I'll single out Deshaun Davis b/c he's a fiery guy and a helluva player. Heard they were taking him out of the 1st scrimmage b/c the offense basically couldn't get anything done when he was in, truly QB'n that defense.

That dude is a natural leader. He was QB'n- I like that- his recruiting class back when he was just some 3* who we offered "too early". That he has become such a productive guy on Saturdays is sooooo gratifying. 

So looks like we've got 4 teams in the initial AP top 15 ( #'s 1, 5, 13, and 15) in addition to to usual suspects. I wouldn't doubt aTm and Arky could be included sooner than later as well. Time to strap up. 

16 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I'll buy into the ideas LSU has the athletes to beat anybody and Matt Canada is a promisng young coach, but not getting all this love for him as LSU's latest OC. His claims to fame are Pitt, N.C & Wisco. 

I think you will see a different philosophy... they will finally start taking advantage of that Louisiana talent on the offensive side of the ball. Something that Les rarely did

7 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

I think you will see a different philosophy... they will finally start taking advantage of that Louisiana talent on the offensive side of the ball. Something that Les rarely did

With Etling? ;D

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM, bigbird said:

It must've been a lot easier to do without facemask.

And with teeth ;D

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

game managers

Understood, but isn't that basically what Les tried to do?  Minimize his lack of ability at QB  by trying to get the ball to his playmakers at RB and WR?  I just don't see Etling being a game manager or much less an active facilitator.  If he's the QB, I'm not that worried about LSU if our offense is what we all expect it to be.

I think Auburn can match up really well against anybody on our schedule. Our current team has been designed (and played itself out) very well

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Look what bama was able to do with "game managers"

That is because he has an nfl offensive line and NFL defense. It doesn't matter who calls the plays or what the style. He gets the best players and builds them into machines. 

I've been trying to resist the hype all offseason and i just can't any longer. I'm seeing AU touchdowns and punishing tackles every time i close my eyes. Stidham is the second coming of Sullivan and this is the year we finally see AU with a top 10 O and D to match! Espn talking heads will debate endlessly on which side of the ball AU is the most dominant on. 

But in all seriousness i am pretty excited to see how the OL plays out. I really like that lineup with Tega at LT and James at RT. I have no idea if Tega can handle that spot but i like the potential that is there. Also allows Braden to stay at Guard and Golsen at Center so we have some continuity from last year. That OL works out and we take another step forward on D then man o man this could be a fun football season

34 minutes ago, alexava said:

That is because he has an nfl offensive line and NFL defense. It doesn't matter who calls the plays or what the style. He gets the best players and builds them into machines. 

LSU has that type of talent too albeit not 80% of the team

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Look what bama was able to do with "game managers"

Also, wasn't it Etling that led them down the field at JHS to complete a pass in the endzone thankfully just milliseconds after time had expired?

wde

59 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Also, wasn't it Etling that led them down the field at JHS to complete a pass in the endzone thankfully just milliseconds after time had expired?

wde

Yep...now imagine him under an experienced and qualified QB/OC

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Yep!

wde

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

....Against a better AU team

aaaaaaaaannndd in Baton Rouge as well. 

So yeah, it should be a serious dog fight in the Red Stick on Oct 14!!!!!

39 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

....Against a better AU team

aaaaaaaaannndd in Baton Rouge as well. 

So yeah, it should be a serious dog fight in the Red Stick on Oct 14!!!!!

Yes, if Gus wets the bed in Death Valley like he did as an OC in 2009 and 2011 as well as a HC in 2013 and 2015 with the most talented AU team since 1988 to go there, then Gus is not the right coach for AU. This is Gus' 5th season, we have to at least be competitive in Baton Rouge.

wde

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

I've been trying to resist the hype all offseason and i just can't any longer. I'm seeing AU touchdowns and punishing tackles every time i close my eyes. Stidham is the second coming of Sullivan and this is the year we finally see AU with a top 10 O and D to match! Espn talking heads will debate endlessly on which side of the ball AU is the most dominant on. 

But in all seriousness i am pretty excited to see how the OL plays out. I really like that lineup with Tega at LT and James at RT. I have no idea if Tega can handle that spot but i like the potential that is there. Also allows Braden to stay at Guard and Golsen at Center so we have some continuity from last year. That OL works out and we take another step forward on D then man o man this could be a fun football season

I watched A-Day again the past couple days just focus in on Tega.  I didn't see him go against any top lineman but what I did witness is great form and drive blocking in the kick out block on the DE in the run game.  On the blocking down in double team situations he isn't as aggressive and when he works up to the LB he kind of gets in the way block instead of engaging and getting his hands inside.  But like I said 1 on 1 at the line of scrimmage he had great technique.  In pass blocking there was no one that could really rush the passer I think the best rusher he went against was Tre Threat and he had no chance at all against Tega.  Looks fast on his feet and he's long and strong so he should be a good pass blocker.  Blitz is the only situation that would worry me but I'm sure they are going over and over blitz pickup.

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

I watched A-Day again the past couple days just focus in on Tega.  I didn't see him go against any top lineman but what I did witness is great form and drive blocking in the kick out block on the DE in the run game.  On the blocking down in double team situations he isn't as aggressive and when he works up to the LB he kind of gets in the way block instead of engaging and getting his hands inside.  But like I said 1 on 1 at the line of scrimmage he had great technique.  In pass blocking there was no one that could really rush the passer I think the best rusher he went against was Tre Threat and he had no chance at all against Tega.  Looks fast on his feet and he's long and strong so he should be a good pass blocker.  Blitz is the only situation that would worry me but I'm sure they are going over and over blitz pickup.

I love it when you and some of the others who coach, break down film on specific players. I love that you give the good and bad so we know what to expect when the ball is snapped to start the season. Thank you for posting the breakdowns. War Eagle!

Archived