Auburn is a top 10 team rn...

austudnt23

9 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Why do Malzahn's teams never look prepared until mid season? What the heck is going on in practice?  Get some of these things worked out in Spring, Summer and Fall BEFORE you hit the games.  

Heck, ask Steele how he would defend your offense and make the necessary changes. 

Gus was scared to death to lose to Mercer at home. 

He should be.  He has a lot of fans not liking him now but you lose HC and the few that are still on the Bus jump off.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Stop melting please. Look I am not happy about the score yesterday at all or the turnovers. There is some facts some people are ignoring. We ran Chip offense and executed very well except for turnovers. Stidham threw for 370 when was last time we had a qb throw for that many yards? I really don't know. If we don't turn ball overy we score 5p plus and win by 30 plus. Kam Pettway shouldn't have been used that much but he is a back who the more he gets hit the better he gets. Last year he took all the beating in spring and fall camp this year he has hardly been hit  except for in games. We have the best defense in the his the SEC. We need to find a 3rd back but I expect Kerryon back by Mississippi state. Any doubters to just how good Clemson defense and offense is did you watch the game last night Clemson is the best team in the country rn. We shut their offense down basically except for a few 50/50 balls they got. Their defense shut the reigning heisman winner down until 4th quarter when they were up big and basically playing soft defensively.

Undefeated until Iron Bowl. 

First, I do appreciate your inside information. So thank you for that. You are right about the Clemson game, Auburn should have and could have won that game easily if the Red Zone wasn't such a Rubik's Cube for Gus. A toss sweep to your HB/FB against that Defense lol... Anyway, I just don't see how we're not going to lose 4+ this year.

Our Defense is great and for real, but that can only last so long when your Offense is still showing the same woes it has been for the previous 2 years. It's really insanity to think otherwise. I was optimistic with so many regarding Stidham and the WRs. Figured even with the meddling of Gus, they would just light it up from talent alone. But after the Mercer game, it's another repeat of 15 and 16. Can talk about turnovers all you want, but if that mighty Mercer Defense rips out the ball that many times, what the hell is SEC play going to look like? We're 2-1 right now...

@ Missouri - W

Miss. St - L

Ole Miss - W (maybe)

@ LSU - L (cause it's there)

@ Arkansas - W (should)

@ Texas A&M - L (even though it's there and it seems away teams win this series. just ugly loss imo)

UGA - L

UL Monroe - W

Bama - L

6-6 keeping it real. 7-5 if we steal one.

I hope I'm wrong, and this team gels and wins out making me eat this prediction, but with Gus at helm I can't believe it and thinking otherwise is naive.

13 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Talent and potential is there plus some. Nonsense, are u joking? Many will realize this soon. 

Talent and potential have always been there 23.  Hell, AU has hauled in top ten ranked teams for years and years now.  What they've failed to do is chalk up Top Ten ranked teams at the end of the season, which is the only ranking that matters.

If we are going to mirculously realize this is a top 10 program soon, then some folks better be working night and day to get these glaring deficiencies fixed.  

12 hours ago, VAtiger12 said:

I don't know what to tell you. All off season people in the know here said OL was going to be a concern and guess what, it is. They will only improve by being out there and working on it.

Its Year 5, should I be concerned? OL should have been addressed over the last 4 years recruiting. We have a project at LT who has much potential but surely would benefit with a couple years watching upper classmates at the position. Just how much time will it take to go from an OC to a HC? I understand what you are saying if judging by one year. I am looking at the totality from 2013. Mercer was scheduled for homecoming for a reason. How long have they even been playing football, 3-4 years?  The "concern" was playing seasoned SEC defensive lines. Practice should provide better competition....or we are in real trouble.

17 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

JS was very efficient yesterday, regardless of competition.  

We will see a big difference in the game plan, and the effectiveness of that game plan IF we can get and keep KP and KJ healthy at the same time. (and that's a BIG IF!!!)

OL and WRs need a TON of work!!!  I see the potential you're talking about @austudnt23, I doubt that many would argue our talent and depth in these areas, but I won't have confidence in these units until I see more improvement. 

The biggest things for me are:

First, the head-scratcher game planning (KP carrying 34 times against Mercer, Ryan Davis and Will Hastings running deep routes instead of NCM, KD, DS, etc. guys that are more likely to win those battles, the tight sets, etc. I could go on)

Second, the complete and total lack of adjustments. When something doesn't work, or if the other team adjusts to what we are doing, we have had 0 answers!!!  This is ongoing and consistent.

Third, the overall lack of mental focus. Turnovers, drops, missed field goals, muffing punts, etc.  

All of these things are major red flags!  They are all 100% on coaching.  I've got to see these things improve before I can confidently get back on the Gus Bus. 

You mean like when the small Mercer D-back took the pass away from NCM??? 

10 hours ago, auskull said:

Its Year 5, should I be concerned? OL should have been addressed over the last 4 years recruiting. We have a project at LT who has much potential but surely would benefit with a couple years watching upper classmates at the position. Just how much time will it take to go from an OC to a HC? I understand what you are saying if judging by one year. I am looking at the totality from 2013. Mercer was scheduled for homecoming for a reason. How long have they even been playing football, 3-4 years?  The "concern" was playing seasoned SEC defensive lines. Practice should provide better competition....or we are in real trouble.

Yes, that's a real concern. I'd love if people on here were actually discussing some of the actual concerns such as how we've seemingly missed on a few of these highly touted WRs (because I was told these guys are great and I'm not really seeing it. Hastings just shouldn't be the best guy out there. I love him but he just shouldn't be the best guy out there) and how the OL, while talented, seems to be missing a solid LT. These are things that the board could be discussing and are valid criticisms. What isn't a valid criticism is being angry that a traditional run-first scheme coach is trying to implement a passing game and is having some growing pains. 

53 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

Yes, that's a real concern. I'd love if people on here were actually discussing some of the actual concerns such as how we've seemingly missed on a few of these highly touted WRs (because I was told these guys are great and I'm not really seeing it. Hastings just shouldn't be the best guy out there. I love him but he just shouldn't be the best guy out there) and how the OL, while talented, seems to be missing a solid LT. These are things that the board could be discussing and are valid criticisms. What isn't a valid criticism is being angry that a traditional run-first scheme coach is trying to implement a passing game and is having some growing pains. 

I think the anger stems from the inability to be adaptive more than anything else. Also, the inability to have a competent game plan which CGM is more than capable of doing, but for some odd reason has regressed. He has had several successful passing QBs in the past, so him dictating the run isn't an easily acceptable excuse.

If you look at the play calling, the routes, and the play of  our QB against Mercer, it is easy to see the potential that our offense can bring to the table. Eliminate 5 turnovers and you may see it easier. I agree with 23, 100%. If you remember in years past where we were successful, it took a few games to find our strengths on offense and game plan around them. I get the same feeling after seeing how good our QB can be with his arm and accuracy. I feel like its starting to come together and soon we will see a coming out party.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think the anger stems from the inability to be adaptive more than anything else. Also, the inability to have a competent game plan which CGM is more than capable of doing, but for some odd reason has regressed. He has had several successful passing QBs in the past, so him dictating the run isn't an easily acceptable excuse.

What I don't understand is that he used to find ways to be creative to cover up deficiencies in the offense, trick plays, gimmicks, motion etc. Yet I see none...except for the reverse/flea flicker play in the clemson game that was way to slow to develop.

In 2009 he had Chris Todd lighting it up. Granted, that team was mainly Tuberville leftovers and had a pretty good O-line, some good backs and WR's.

20 hours ago, keesler said:

Talent and potential have always been there 23.  Hell, AU has hauled in top ten ranked teams for years and years now.  What they've failed to do is chalk up Top Ten ranked teams at the end of the season, which is the only ranking that matters.

If we are going to mirculously realize this is a top 10 program soon, then some folks better be working night and day to get these glaring deficiencies fixed.  

All on coaching if we dont go into Iron Bowl undefeated. I think we will though as long as we get Kerryon back my State which it is hopeful he will be. 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:54 AM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Then we have a different viewpoint. It's ok.

I'm not saying that I love our coaching. However, I do believe our kids will come to play every week and that's all I ask for from them. It's not 2008 or 2012. Our guys believe in themselves and I think we should start there. 

I would like to see effort and oneness like I saw in the 1981 season, (Pat Dye's first). Not a great season but for the first time in many years the other team was black and blue. Teams began to not want to play us because of the way we played....hard nosed and full out effort each game. No real stars that first year but extremely well coached and motivated. Never felt more pride than that year and we could see light at the end of the tunnel....finally! Guys, I'm not being critical of Auburn Football, I just have not seen it for several years (2013). I along with others want these coaches to succeed, but maybe, just maybe we got Gus too early in his career.

It's a shame what this program has caused fans including myself to feel. I'm sure many of us have been filled with optimism despite starts like this one that we have in the past. It has just become too much. I want to be positive and think that AU will blow out mizz and get things rolling but I don't feel confident about that at all. I swear it seems like being an AU fan requires counseling at times.

In all this hand wringing and teeth gnashing, is anyone considering Auburn was coming off a tough road loss against the defending National Champs. AND playing a one double A school. I can see the mental focus may not have been too sharp.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

In all this hand wringing and teeth gnashing, is anyone considering Auburn was coming off a tough road loss against the defending National Champs. AND playing a one double A school. I can see the mental focus may not have been too sharp.

If you are coming off a tough loss, wouldn't you expect the team to be mentally engaged for the next week? If this is the case, this team is nowhere near close to ready with running the table..

Just now, DAG said:

If you are coming off a tough loss, wouldn't you expect the team to be mentally engaged for the next week? If this is the case, this team is nowhere near close to ready with running the table..

this team was not/is not/ nor will ever be anywhere near close to running the damn table!     Good grief

16 hours ago, DAG said:

No.I would not think they would be 'mentally engaged' for the next week. I've seen this all through sports. And experienced it first hand. Where so much mental energy is expended in the 'big' game that is is hard to be focused on the following game. Particularly against a far less opponent.

If the Oline gets right we will run the table to UAT and I will consider that game the biggest of CGM career. If the oline continues to struggle then i see us winning 2. maybe 3,  SEC games and then CGM is likely fired. JMHO. War Eagle!

21 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

No.I would not think they would be 'mentally engaged' for the next week. I've seen this all through sports. And experienced it first hand. Where so much mental energy is expended in the 'big' game that is is hard to be focused on the following game. Particularly against a far less opponent.

Well, you are on an island on your own. Yes, if you expend a lot of energy on one game and WIN, then yes I can get you overlooking the next opponent,  particularly an inferior opponent (E.G. Clemson vs Troy state last year). That is essentially a trap game. However, if you lost the previous week, you SHOULD be mentally engaged, pissed off, wanting to destroy your next opponent. At least from my experience. I do not know too many competitors who lose one week and come out disengaged the next week. That is just a loser's mentality.

Archived