Auburn is a top 10 team rn...

austudnt23

12 hours ago, mom2kid said:

This

23, do you have any idea why the coaches refuse to sit out KP and rotate in the other backs?  Devin gets one short swing pas every game showing his spedd then sits the rrst if the game so Pettway can run jbto the line for 2.  Maybe the fumble will wake up gus.  Pettway is not effective this yr; he is a liability right now.  

And 23, you admitted you hadn't seen UGA much.  That's why you have such confidence.  The have tons of talent and the are playing as a complete team.  Their D is as good as ours.  Roquan is amazing.  And T Godwin catches everything thrown to him. They have always been able to recruit the qb and rb positions and are loaded.  Fromm is not playing like a frish; Eason will be healthy by gsmetime also.  KS has this team playing to the highest level and believing.  Can we beat them?  IMO not without a viable running game which we do not have right now.  No our backs are not better than theirs no matter if they are healthy or not.  No one knows if pettway is going to return to his old form anytime soon.  So we better get our backs reshuffled like we have the Oline

Excellent analysis and conclusion.   :bow:

There is no way you should be confident of beating Georgia with our current team's offense.  We'll need a much more effective running game - as well as a short passing game - to win.   Georgia won't give Stidem the time to throw long like we did against MSU.

Our defense will give us a chance, but we'll need offensive balance to beat either Georgia or Bama. 

Their defenses are just too good to defeat without our executing the full range of offensive threats.  Otherwise they will exploit our weakness by nullifying our strength.  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/17/2017 at 9:09 AM, jluvah said:

We will go 7-5 or 8-4 at best. Sad but true I feel

Auburn will end the season with 2, possibly 3 losses depending on which Georgia team shows up. I don't think that either of them are as good, top to bottom as Clemson. 

On the way home from the game last night, I got to thinking about this thread and how much austudnt23 was right on about where we are right now as a team. Now, it's a long season, and there are plenty of road blocks between here and Amen Corner, but as long as we continue to improve (as has been said, the intermediate passing game needs work, and the holes just don't seem to be opening in the running game yet), I see no reason to believe we won't be 8-1 going into Amen Corner. Furthermore, 23 is right about one big factor regarding Fromm and UGAy: they won't face a crowd as hostile as Auburn's all year. Neyland Stadium can be rockin' when the Vols are good, but they just aren't right now, and seeing how he reacts to the noise level (the commentators kept talking about how loud it was, but I didn't notice it being anything more than about average from my vantage point) when facing a top notch defense like ours will be interesting, because he just hasn't yet. The post about some on this board needing to eat crow about how negative they were regarding 23's predictions might be a bit premature, as we haven't entered the meat of our schedule yet, but I'm more inclined to believe 23 was right on at least about how we will be going into the Georgia game, and I suspect the home atmosphere combined with the defensive pressure Fromm will face is going to be quite the challenge for a true freshman, no matter how talented he is.

Oh, and just for the record, if all the running backs are healthy, I'd put our RB corps up against Georgia's any day of the week and twice on Sunday. When at full strength, Pettway is a monster, Kerryon is a Swiss army knife, Martin is a burner, Barrett is a freshman version of Johnson, and Miller is at the very least a serviceable big back. Don't get me wrong, Georgia's backs are elite caliber, but so are Auburn's. Don't go selling our boys short just because the offensive line hasn't gelled in run blocking yet.

Red, please don't misunderstand my posts.  I have a ton of respect for 23 and his inside info.  I am so confident in every aspect of our D; great d coaches top to bottom.  I see such a positive change with CL' s offensive game plan and play calling.  But our weaknesses are fairly obvious.  The Oline is getting better but still need plenty of improvement by the time we face UGA and Bama.  The RB situation is the most troubling of all.  If there is a reason for why we are not trying to get other backs more carries when it's clear pettway is not able, someone tell me.  We won the natty with a freshman rb if Gus forgot.

Barrett has the speed to make the one cut required in the zone blocking scheme and get up field for big gains. Kam Martin has already shown that those wholes can be exploited. 

To me it almost looks like KJ is trying to model his running style off of Leveon Bell. As in being super patient and letting the o-line set up their blocks. I think his recent success near the goal line is evidence of this. 

Historically, minus the unfortunate injury bug last year, the good teams Gus has coached have gotten better as the season went along and peak during Amen Corner. And yes, I would consider last year's team good. They just had injury problems and Jeremy Johnson.

Red, I'm just not convinced our RB's will be healthy this year. The hamstring and foot injuries may take several months of rest to heal. We don't have that long. I don't know how good our backups are either. Lots of potential but not tested. We don't seem to have the type injuries that heal by setting a couple games. The OL may be good enough by amen corner. I too believe in our RBs but they may not be able to get at 100% this year. 

16 minutes ago, auskull said:

Red, I'm just not convinced our RB's will be healthy this year. The hamstring and foot injuries may take several months of rest to heal. We don't have that long. I don't know how good our backups are either. Lots of potential but not tested. We don't seem to have the type injuries that heal by setting a couple games. The OL may be good enough by amen corner. I too believe in our RBs but they may not be able to get at 100% this year. 

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but that is the entire point. Test them now. Get them ready now. 

Poor development of underclassmen on the offensive side of the ball- not just at QB- is an emerging theme with this team. Which is particularly galling given that it's the complete opposite and wildly successful on the other side of the ball. 

On 10/1/2017 at 1:02 PM, kd4au said:

? is Pettways problem still his feet or is it other problems as well and do you have any idea how long it may take to get him healthy if he were to sit? Last year we were a lot better team with him.

Yes foot with KP and he wants to play and is pushing to play.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Yes foot with KP and he wants to play and is pushing to play.

Is he wanting to go pro after this season?  Any chance this injury makes him reconsider another year?

44 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Is he wanting to go pro after this season?  Any chance this injury makes him reconsider another year?

Unless things turn around in this big way, I think the injury already made the decision for him. 

What is the prognosis of our running game going forward? I am assuming one would need a viable running game to win out to the UGA game and a finally tuned running game to win from there. Will we get to where we were in 2013 with the running game and with the addition of a finally tuned passing game? If so, then we could conceivably play 13 or 14 games.

17 hours ago, auskull said:

What is the prognosis of our running game going forward? I am assuming one would need a viable running game to win out to the UGA game and a finally tuned running game to win from there. Will we get to where we were in 2013 with the running game and with the addition of a finally tuned passing game? If so, then we could conceivably play 13 or 14 games.

No.

But, to your point, we might be able to open more running lanes by making the defense defend the entire field with more intermediate passes in the middle of the field. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 9:59 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Some fans here

Screenshot_20170923-214838.png

Welcome to Reality. As I stated previously, 6-6 / 7-5 at best team. Only 2 more wins left. Arkansas and ULMonroe. Typical Gus season. No idea why people would think any differently, it's insanity.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Haha. I been staying away from the football board for this very reason.

This guy had it coming. Told him CGM will be judged starting against LSU.

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

Where you at?

Right here. Sitting on your side now. Won't watch another game while he coaches and I'm off the forum for a while. I've reached my level of unacceptable.

Thank you for the reality check.

Archived