ESPN OTL Report on Auburn football, AD

WDE_OxPx_2010

11 hours ago, constructiontiger said:

I stopped worrying about what people outside of Auburn think of Auburn in 2004.

This started well before the current century. There are pictures of a banner hanging across Toomer's Corner in 1957: "Auburn gives the world 24 hours to get out of town". I agree.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I THINK this will blow over pretty quick.  Its off ESPN's front page already.  I'm sure Finebum will have a lot to say but with games coming up this weekend it should pass unless new info comes out.  If this is where journalism is now its in sad sad shape. 

It will.  ESPN ran with something that had little backing and wasn't even as salacious as they slanted the story.  You won't find this in the story, but Auburn has clarified it.  It was a player who was on the 2015 team.  That player had left school.  He came back in 2016 as a student only, taking an online course to finish his degree.  He was not a member of the football team at the time of the alleged academic fraud.

So what this is really is a story of academic impropriety from an Auburn student, not anything really to do with the football program.  But "Auburn student accused of cheating on exam" doesn't get eyeballs on ESPN.

There is some talk out there that this 'leak' was an inside job aimed more at putting another mark on Jay Jacobs than anything from the outside trying to derail the football team.  Not sure how much credence to put in that, but I don't know that I can dismiss it out of hand.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There is some talk out there that this 'leak' was an inside job aimed more at putting another mark on Jay Jacobs than anything from the outside trying to derail the football team.  Not sure how much credence to put in that, but I don't know that I can dismiss it out of hand.

Wouldn't surprise me

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The really funny thing is it is incredibly simple to cheat on the online class tests by yourself.  You literally copy the question, and put it into Google and the answer pops up.  There are safeguards in place to prevent this, like an attempt to lock your screen, but it is really easy to circumvent like having another internet engine open.  If the guy couldn't figure this out, he was never going to pass that test.  Not saying I did this, just heard from a friend...

Sounds like you have experience at this...........:poke:

40 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

JMHO, that's exactly what this was.  Someone has daggers for JJ and they want him OUT.  

This latest hit piece speaks volumes - while many lay blame solely at the feet of the REC,  if you read that article and the dirty feces stained laundry list you get the feel that someone has their pistol pointed directly at the head man in charge of AU athletics.

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Sounds like you have experience at this...........:poke:

tenor.gif

Just heard from a friend who I knew took 18 hours that semester and didn't have time to focus on a required class that was not worth the effort...

52 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It will.  ESPN ran with something that had little backing and wasn't even as salacious as they slanted the story.  You won't find this in the story, but Auburn has clarified it.  It was a player who was on the 2015 team.  That player had left school.  He came back in 2016 as a student only, taking an online course to finish his degree.  He was not a member of the football team at the time of the alleged academic fraud.

So what this is really is a story of academic impropriety from an Auburn student, not anything really to do with the football program.  But "Auburn student accused of cheating on exam" doesn't get eyeballs on ESPN.

Wow, if this accounting is true then ESPN knowingly participated in throwing out journalistic integrity in pursuit of clicks.  pathetic. Thanks for the clarity on this

Just ask yourself who benefits from Auburn getting derailed by distractions and will it help them swing recruits?   

Ultimately, that is answer.  

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Just ask yourself who benefits from Auburn getting derailed by distractions and will it help them swing recruits?   

Ultimately, that is answer.  

How does airing dirty laundry in our softball/baseball/basketball programs help or hinder football recruiting?  

AU has consistently held it's own in the area of recruiting for several years now, and will continue to do so.  This nothing story will have zero effect on the football program or recruiting.

At the same time, it puts an even larger bulls eye on the back of Jay Jacobs.  Someone intentionally choose to put JJ in front of the firing squad in a very public way with this non-headline story.

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Might as well keep the whole law firm on retainer.

Apparently as long as JJ is AD his shop runs out of control see fan pulse just say NO

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Wow, if this accounting is true then ESPN knowingly participated in throwing out journalistic integrity in pursuit of clicks.  pathetic. Thanks for the clarity on this

DL5E6HNU8AAiFVW.jpg:large

We just do not need to take our usual sit back and be quiet approach. The statement is a start, but how about a statement in a press conference stating "we are waiting for a bspn retraction of falsely reported information". Put it on them in a public venue like they did. 

Good grief.  They haven't even taken the time to update the story on ESPN Radio.  Stugotz on the Dan Lebetard Show just re-stated that it was a 2016 football player and the way they frame the story makes AU sound guilty of something nefarious.  Geez. 

The way things have gone lately, 2 scandals the Athletic Department is already dealing and now we may have 3nd one.  How in heavens name can Auburn continue to give Jay Jacobs their 100% support. If they allow him to keep being Auburn's AD, get ready for a lot of backless that hit our university from the media and other groups.

43 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Good grief.  They haven't even taken the time to update the story on ESPN Radio.  Stugotz on the Dan Lebetard Show just re-stated that it was a 2016 football player and the way they frame the story makes AU sound guilty of something nefarious.  Geez. 

I am a daily listener of the le Batard and Stugotz show. I make sure to listen to each day's episode at some point throughout the week. I absolutely love it. But there is one thing I know about them and that's when it comes to getting the nitty gritty facts about things that are not NBA, NFL, or MLB they don't seem to drill deep enough. Instead they take the surface story (no matter how accurate) and use that as a launching pad to make a greater point. This certainly is in line with my earlier post of "the damage has been done no matter how clean we come out of this."

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I am a daily listener of the le Batard and Stugotz show. I make sure to listen to each day's episode at some point throughout the week. I absolutely love it. But there is one thing I know about them and that's when it comes to getting the nitty gritty facts about things that are not NBA, NFL, or MLB they don't seem to drill deep enough. Instead they take the surface story (no matter how accurate) and use that as a launching pad to make a greater point. This certainly is in line with my earlier post of "the damage has been done no matter how clean we come out of this."

Yeah you're exactly right. I listen to them pretty often too and thats spot on.  They made some illusory reference to how this type thing goes on everywhere and then they moved on.   

9 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Yeah you're exactly right. I listen to them pretty often too and thats spot on.  They made some illusory reference to how this type thing goes on everywhere and then they moved on.   

haha! I haven't heard it yet but I had a feeling that's exactly how they were going to go about it. Dan loves to needle the concept of amateurism and the NCAA whenever he gets a chance so I figured he would use this to make that point.

Just now, Tiger said:

haha! I haven't heard it yet but I had a feeling that's exactly how they were going to go about it. Dan loves to needle the concept of amateurism and the NCAA whenever he gets a chance so I figured he would use this to make that point.

Yeah they didn't spend too much time on it.  Just think its sloppy for ESPN to not at least make the corrections that it was a 2015 player who was not even on the team at the time of the supposed incident.  I generally like Dan's show both radio and tv.  

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I was kidding when I said this before, but now I stand by my claims ?

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Yeah they didn't spend too much time on it.  Just think its sloppy for ESPN to not at least make the corrections that it was a 2015 player who was not even on the team at the time of the supposed incident.  I generally like Dan's show both radio and tv.  

Right. Unfortunately if you include that key detail the story loses about 75% of it's juiciness. So ESPN has no motivation to do so...and AU takes the hit for that. It's a shame, really.

Just now, Tiger said:

Right. Unfortunately if you include that key detail the story loses about 75% of it's juiciness. So ESPN has no motivation to do so...and AU takes the hit for that. It's a shame, really.

You are correct sir. 

As of this morning, the story still doesn't make it clear that the student in question was not a football player at Auburn when the alleged cheating took place.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

As of this morning, the story still doesn't make it clear that the student in question was not a football player at Auburn when the alleged cheating took place.

Guess we shouldn't be surprised.  Real journalism left ESPN a long time ago.  Its a bunch of click baiters and SJW's now.  Shame they have a stranglehold on so many college football games so we have to watch. 

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

tenor.gif

Just heard from a friend who I knew took 18 hours that semester and didn't have time to focus on a required class that was not worth the effort...

Not rocket science . It’s called quizlet . You can find about anything you want on there 

Archived