Math Perpetuates White Privilege

MDM4AU

12 minutes ago, metafour said:

Maths is so racist, which is obviously why all those economically prosperous nations like India, mainland China, Southeast Asian countries, etc, etc. are whipping ass in mathematics and taking names.  It all makes perfect sense, if only non-white demographics of America had access to the caliber of schools they have in India (you know, a country still clawing its way into 2nd-world status in most regions) we would find absolute academic-equality (LOL).

Chalk up another brilliant theory by a left-wing "academic".

The Asian math stereotype is an interesting subject. I work with a Chinese-American pathologist. He's lived in communities in America that these stereotypes are derived from. His view on the subject is that the American kids who have immigrant parents, particularly from China and South Korea, are pushed mathematically in the same way that they were in their previous countries, but overall the result is not good. The kids learn how to do computational things fast, with all sorts of systems and tricks. They're really good at knowing how to get to the answers on tests. But this is their focus and few of them actually learn how to think about math in a real world way, but they do well enough that they can get into and through college.

Does this result in good engineers, physicists and mathematicians? How many win Fields medals? How many Nobel Prizes in physics and math? Not very many. And when they are, they're heavily from Japanese people. If you've made your kids into a human test taking machines who are efficient as calculators, they're missing something critical unless they can just make up for it on their own.

Speaking of the Japanese, their method is pretty interesting. Sansu. It places more emphasis on the problem solving aspect rather than the rote memorization common in US and other countries. Something we could benefit from here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mean score on the math section of the SAT for all test-takers is 511 out of 800, the average scores for blacks (428) and Latinos (457) are significantly below those of whites (534) and Asians (598). The scores of black and Latino students are clustered towards the bottom of the distribution, while white scores are relatively normally distributed, and Asians are clustered at the top:

CCF_20170201_Reeves_1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/research/race-gaps-in-sat-scores-highlight-inequality-and-hinder-upward-mobility/amp/

3 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Crazy, whites have all this math privilege and still get their butt's kicked by Asians.

Ice up Whites, Ice up.

Made a 57 on a Spanish exam once and thought I was going to cry. Professor basically said cheer up, at least you didn’t mess up the bell curve. The power of math. 

There is more. Traditional Science is racist, too. Hang in there little semicolon, I won’t let the lefties destroy your character too. 

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/10/24/feminist-prof-traditional-science-racist-needs-to-be-replaced-with-anti-science-approach/

19 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I am personally like Jethro Bodine. Once I run out of fingers and toes I am done counting.

It's those damn "gozinta's" that are the problem...

19 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

The Asian math stereotype is an interesting subject. I work with a Chinese-American pathologist. He's lived in communities in America that these stereotypes are derived from. His view on the subject is that the American kids who have immigrant parents, particularly from China and South Korea, are pushed mathematically in the same way that they were in their previous countries, but overall the result is not good. The kids learn how to do computational things fast, with all sorts of systems and tricks. They're really good at knowing how to get to the answers on tests. But this is their focus and few of them actually learn how to think about math in a real world way, but they do well enough that they can get into and through college.

Does this result in good engineers, physicists and mathematicians? How many win Fields medals? How many Nobel Prizes in physics and math? Not very many. And when they are, they're heavily from Japanese people. If you've made your kids into a human test taking machines who are efficient as calculators, they're missing something critical unless they can just make up for it on their own.

Speaking of the Japanese, their method is pretty interesting. Sansu. It places more emphasis on the problem solving aspect rather than the rote memorization common in US and other countries. Something we could benefit from here.

So your considered judgement on the math capabilities of 2.7b people is based on a conversation with a Chinese-American pathologist?   Apparently neither he nor you took statistics.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, aujeff11 said:

What I find interesting is that if you say, "based on this information blacks and latinos don't score as well on the math portion of the SAT as white people do" then many people will call you racist.

4 minutes ago, Grumps said:

What I find interesting is that if you say, "based on this information blacks and latinos don't score as well on the math portion of the SAT as white people do" then many people will call you racist.

I almost got baited into a race argument yesterday. I called an African American by his name and initiated a conversation when I said, “how are you Billy.” We conversated about working today for a a couple minutes  but then another black guy that was apparently eavesdropping came to us, and asked me with a real concerned look if I called Billy  “brother.” I said “no, I called him Billy.” He wouldn’t believe me, so he asked Billy in front of me. Billy told the truth( thank God.) My question is so what if I did? Is the “unity” platform full of crap?  He must’ve spotted my face getting red during the incident because later on in the day, he said he was just messing with me, but I don’t believe that crap for a second.  

Moral of the story: walk on ice and try not to offend them, because no matter how innocent your actions are, some don’t want you to be colorblind unlike the lib fantasies. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I almost got baited into a race argument yesterday. I called an African American by his name and initiated a conversation when I said, “how are you Billy.” We conversated about working today for a a couple minutes  but then another black guy that was apparently eavesdropping came to us, and asked me with a real concerned look if I called Billy  “brother.” I said “no, I called him Billy.” He wouldn’t believe me, so he asked Billy in front of me. Billy told the truth( thank God.) My question is so what if I did? Is the “unity” platform full of crap?  He must’ve spotted my face getting red during the incident because later on in the day, he said he was just messing with me, but I don’t believe that crap for a second.  

Moral of the story: walk on ice and try not to offend them, because no matter how innocent your actions are, some don’t want you to be colorblind unlike the lib fantasies. 

That's really weird, considering everyone these days call each other bro or brother....

I blame Hulk Hogan.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:27 PM, aujeff11 said:

I went to a private school and I was taught that math was basically proof of a higher deity. 

So basically math is evil, it confirms there is a God, and it is a racist subject. 

WTH?

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

So what do you get when you observe that Asians outperform everyone?

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

WTH?

It’s true. The order and the absolute nature of math (only one way to do such things) were reasons for her belief that math confirmed a deity existed. She was a damn good Geometry teacher though. 

8 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

That's really weird, considering everyone these days call each other bro or brother....

I blame Hulk Hogan.

I’m not really friends with either one of them but yeah, I call people brother all the time if I know them fairly well. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s true. The order and the absolute nature of math (only one way to do such things) were reasons for her belief that math confirmed a deity existed. She was a damn good Geometry teacher though. 

How do you get here from there? (BTW, the whole show your work thing basically shows that there is more than one way to get the right answer.) How is Math Evil? How did she define a racist subject?

Math has absolute answers. That means it is a Science that rejects in some ways the humanity of people. There is ONE ANSWER. There are different ways to get there. Opinions matter only on theory questions and efficacy of the solution. 

Not to sound too Nerdy here, but...I have already started applying for funds from work to help pay for a PhD in Probability Theory. Timeline would be to start in maybe as little as a year, or as long as three dependent on finances.

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

ow do you get here from there? (BTW, the whole show your work thing basically shows that there is more than one way to get the right answer.)

It’s just her opinion, man. You don’t have to give any credibility to it. 

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

How is Math Evil?

The whole second sentence was a complete joke and rehashment of the other hot takes about math brought on here? You didn’t read Texan4Auburn’s post about the SNL skit? Herp Derp.

7 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

There are different ways to get there.

Not always. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

You get Asians with better math scores and the perception that Asians are better at math. I don't think that's racist either.

And if you find that black athletes have faster 100m dash times than other ethnic groups then I don't think it is racist to say that blacks run faster than other races.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I think it is fascinating to think about mathematics. Why does it exist? Is its existence random? Is it necessary? What if there was no mathematics? Was it created by man or was it discovered by man? Mathematics certainly seems like something created by intelligent design.

2 hours ago, Grumps said:

I think it is fascinating to think about mathematics. Why does it exist? Is its existence random? Is it necessary? What if there was no mathematics? Was it created by man or was it discovered by man? Mathematics certainly seems like something created by intelligent design.

Chaos and Order are currently in a tentative relationship with each other..... as far as our current understandings of the universe go.

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The whole second sentence was a complete joke and rehashment of the other hot takes about math brought on here? You didn’t read Texan4Auburn’s post about the SNL skit? Herp Derp.

Ahhh, okay. I misread that. Sorry...Been a long day.

10 hours ago, Grumps said:

think it is fascinating to think about mathematics. Why does it exist? Is its existence random? Is it necessary? What if there was no mathematics? Was it created by man or was it discovered by man? Mathematics certainly seems like something created by intelligent design.

I think it’s fascinating as well. I think most philosophers hundreds of years ago would have agreed agree that math is divine in nature. I believe that they were in awe of the appearance of the natural order that math brought to the world. It was almost like they were doing math to learn greater insight or the thoughts from the Great Mathematician. Would love to hear what @TitanTiger thinks about the matter but he’s probably still sore about the can I opened on him our last argument. ?

On 10/28/2017 at 4:41 AM, japantiger said:

It's those damn "gozinta's" that are the problem...

"Ellie Mae, you leave ol Jethro alone now.  That boy's got an uphill climb in loose rock."  --Jed  

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

DNRxSOFW4AEaTuc?format=jpgSpeaking of habitually offended, this snowflake misheard “curl” route.

That's hilarious! A little curl route...HAHAHAHAHA!

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, DKW 86 said:

Chop suey?

Archived