Chad Morris wants to run Air Raid

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't know what Morris ever did or didn't do. You said he learned from Gus. If he did, then he changed. I do know that Gus never favored the pass over the run, which was my statement. You shouldn't have hung up before you understood the conversation.

If you need further information, check Auburnfan91's stats above. Gus has never been pass-happy. One year at Tulsa his team threw 50% passes, I suppose because they lacked a running attack. The rest of the time he's been a run first guy and the better his runners, the less his team passes. That's good football.

And my point was that it is very weird that he scraped everything he did on the high school level where he made a name for himself and became a rising star in the profession. He basically ran the air raid at springdale. Not sure about shiloh or hughes. My point still stands of IDK where he changed his ways from and who/what he got the idea from when he made the transition from springdale to college. He just became basically a totally different guy overnight. Tulsa though was more of what I expected to see from him when we got him as a oc and head coach....... O mike the back and forths we have! I really do enjoy this! If I seem like I am not it is all in sarcasm! You will always be fam!!! lol

I was surprised when he first got to Auburn what the offense looked like, but I figured it was because he had some guy named Cam. When he coached high school he threw it a ton. Rhett Lashlee ranks in the top 10 of a lot of national passing records. Then at Tulsa he had two 1,000 yard receivers one year IIRC. He seems to do a great job adapting to his roster. Auburn rarely doesn’t have a good RB but I wonder if Gus would change the offense if the running game wasn’t as good.

As for Morris, it will be weird for Arkansas fans to watch this offense because we’ve never really ever ran something like this before. Our last dual threat QB was Matt Jones lol. Morris did have a 1,000 yard rusher this year so calling it an air raid might have been exaggerating.

Side note: We’re trying to get him to name the helicopter that he uses for recruiting the “Pork Chopper”

4 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

I was surprised when he first got to Auburn what the offense looked like, but I figured it was because he had some guy named Cam. When he coached high school he threw it a ton. Rhett Lashlee ranks in the top 10 of a lot of national passing records. Then at Tulsa he had two 1,000 yard receivers one year IIRC. He seems to do a great job adapting to his roster. Auburn rarely doesn’t have a good RB but I wonder if Gus would change the offense if the running game wasn’t as good.

As for Morris, it will be weird for Arkansas fans to watch this offense because we’ve never really ever ran something like this before. Our last dual threat QB was Matt Jones lol. Morris did have a 1,000 yard rusher this year so calling it an air raid might have been exaggerating.

Side note: We’re trying to get him to name the helicopter that he uses for recruiting the “Pork Chopper”

Arky fam, How is the hire going over across the fanbase? I personally think if he never went to SMU and stayed as the OC of clemson this would of been looked at as a home run hire and the best or second best hire of this cycle with jimbo and chip kelly. Remember the narrative on dabo before chad left for smu was that O dabo cannot win without chad morris. Chad makes him look good yada yada yada. The shine kinda went dim on him a little bit at SMU just because june jones had left that program stripped to the bone and he had to build it up. All fans see sometimes is the bad win loss records of his first 2 seasons there. I love the hire for y'all is what I am trying to say in a long winded way! lol.

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Pretty much like we all know turkey's can fly....................right

Every year at Thanksgiving I rewatch the old WKRP episode about flying turkeys. ?  “as God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly” :Sing: 

2 hours ago, JoeinPF said:

Every year at Thanksgiving I rewatch the old WKRP episode about flying turkeys. ?  “as God as my witness I thought turkeys could fly” :Sing: 

One my favorites too.....guess you have to be a certain age to recall that.

6 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Cute, but may send an unintended message?

Logical extension/result of a Pork Chopper is Ground Hog. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Chad Morris wants to run Air Raid
7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Arky fam, How is the hire going over across the fanbase? I personally think if he never went to SMU and stayed as the OC of clemson this would of been looked at as a home run hire and the best or second best hire of this cycle with jimbo and chip kelly. Remember the narrative on dabo before chad left for smu was that O dabo cannot win without chad morris. Chad makes him look good yada yada yada. The shine kinda went dim on him a little bit at SMU just because june jones had left that program stripped to the bone and he had to build it up. All fans see sometimes is the bad win loss records of his first 2 seasons there. I love the hire for y'all is what I am trying to say in a long winded way! lol.

They hated it at first but have really warmed up to it in the last few days. You can tell he got a lot of the things he says from Dabo. It will be nice to have some energy in recruiting and on the sidelines after Bielema just kinda looked dumbfounded most of the time.

Some are still waiting to see who the DC will be first.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't know what Morris ever did or didn't do. You said he learned from Gus. If he did, then he changed. I do know that Gus never favored the pass over the run, which was my statement. You shouldn't have hung up before you understood the conversation.

If you need further information, check Auburnfan91's stats above. Gus has never been pass-happy. One year at Tulsa his team threw 50% passes, I suppose because they lacked a running attack. The rest of the time he's been a run first guy and the better his runners, the less his team passes. That's good football.

Tulsa had a guy rush for over 1200 yards in 2007 and 1500 yards in 2008. 

Even beyond play balance, it seems as if our passing game is very conservative. What percentage of our passes are throws within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage - seems unusually high? But maybe not.

I will also point out that even in 2008 when he was 61% run at Tulsa, his QB still threw 46 TD passes.  Hard to imagine Gus's current offensive philosophy would ever allow those kind of numbers.

2 minutes ago, ertrader said:

Tulsa had a guy rush for over 1200 yards in 2007 and 1500 yards in 2008. 

Even beyond play balance, it seems as if our passing game is very conservative. What percentage of our passes are throws within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage - seems unusually high? But maybe not.

I will also point out that even in 2008 when he was 61% run at Tulsa, his QB still threw 46 TD passes.  Hard to imagine Gus's current offensive philosophy would ever allow those kind of numbers.

I wonder how much is offensive philosophy and how much is putting the ball in the hands of the most talented players? Anyway, as long as we're averaging 40+ points per game in SEC play there's not much to gripe about.

15 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wonder how much is offensive philosophy and how much is putting the ball in the hands of the most talented players? Anyway, as long as we're averaging 40+ points per game in SEC play there's not much to gripe about.

C'mon.....this is AU....you know better than to make a comment like that.....there is always something to gripe about though we have to reach a little deeper to find it sometimes...:)

There was a video interview posted of Morris on the airplane flight to Fayetteville. Morris said his offense was a "two-back, run first, play action" offense. That is an identical description to how Gus has described his offense. And it makes sense, given Morris ran Gus' playbook at Tulsa and Clemson.

Did Morris pass more at SMU? Sure, just like Gus passed more at Tulsa and Arkansas State. It will be harder pass at an Air Raid level in the SEC. But also, don't forget, the Air Raid started in the SEC at Kentucky under Hal Mumme. That Kentucky Air Raid offense went 10-22 in the SEC.

Gus seems to have evolved this season more than any previous at Auburn. I think he is realizing that a strong pass game is only going to make his running game more lethal. Hiring CCL is the best career move Gus has made. I think we will see a bit more passing in 2018 if KP & KJ leave for the NFL as long as JS comes back. With the receiving corps we have accumulated, we have the skill players to take our passing game up a notch or 2. I do not think we will ever see at 50/50 run pass but something like a 58/42 or 55/45 ratio of run being the higher play choice.

I do think JS will be back and could be the best QB in the SEC for 2018 and light it up big time. I do hope we can redshirt Gatewood and have Willis on the field more than this season. Willis could be something special waiting to happen. He could be lot like Marshall, but with more accuracy with his passing. Willis needs some weight on his ribs but be able to keep that elite speed he has.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, gohogs14 said:

Saw where we're in negotiations with Chavis for DC. Meh...

I saw where you picked up Jeff Traylor as a coach. I've worked with him before. He is a great man and coach. His THSCA connections will pay off huge for Arkansas.

5 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Saw where we're in negotiations with Chavis for DC. Meh...

Land hawgs? ;)

FTR, Chavis is generally very well regarded, he'd be a solid DC.

Chad's old team...SMU is getting destroyed in their bowl game....not sure who is coaching them but looks like the kids would rather be somewhere else.  Embarrassing performance by SMU. 

OK...looks like the new coach Sonny Dykes is running things......:-\

Archived