Coaches

mom2kid

I am certainly no expert nor have a coaches knowledge but I welcome those that do and those that have insight into the program.  These are my opinions and observations. We are stuck with GM so not much to say.

D staff: all seem to be doing fine; still don’t understand why our DBs don’t turn their heads. Overall we are recruiting well and developing players.  

O staff:  not impressed with CL.  I see improvements but I don’t see a consistent and creative offense.  Is GM still meddling?  Who knows.  Can CL input on O staff and bring in who he thinks he needs?  Where do we need to upgrade?  I think we need an upgrade on OL/Herb Hand, Receivers/CB, and RB/TH.  Not saying they are horrible but saying they are not great considering recruiting AND development.

Let the dagger throws begin!

After the LSU game, I was ready to see Gus to go.

Now seven games and a contract extension later, I've accepted that we're in it for a long haul. 

Everything from here is a "wait and see" approach for me. Even if we somehow go regular season undefeated next season, I won't still feel confident in CFP. Every game is going to be a hand-wringing affair for me. 

13 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

I am certainly no expert nor have a coaches knowledge but I welcome those that do and those that have insight into the program.  These are my opinions and observations. We are stuck with GM so not much to say.

D staff: all seem to be doing fine; still don’t understand why our DBs don’t turn their heads. Overall we are recruiting well and developing players.  

O staff:  not impressed with CL.  I see improvements but I don’t see a consistent and creative offense.  Is GM still meddling?  Who knows.  Can CL input on O staff and bring in who he thinks he needs?  Where do we need to upgrade?  I think we need an upgrade on OL/Herb Hand, Receivers/CB, and RB/TH.  Not saying they are horrible but saying they are not great considering recruiting AND development.

Nothing much will change on the offense as long as the chief nose picker is the head coach. I am sick of watching this anemic offense. Watching GA, and OU right now. Oklahoma has touched the ball three time. Two touchdowns, and driving again. No comparison with Gus ball.

58 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

I believe our D staff overall is good.  

Our O staff overall is bad. That includes Gus, Chip, Hand and Kodi.  Horton is the best coach on the O staff and he is not irreplaceable.  

We are "stuck" with Gus for 2-3 more years tops if he continues the way he has coached the majority of his career at AU.  The raise was absurd, but we are not tied to Gus for 7 years or like that.  If Gus continues to lay eggs like Clemson, LSU, Mercer, the SECCG, today and 2015-2016 Gus will get fired.

wde

5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I believe our D staff overall is good.  

Our O staff overall is bad. That includes Gus, Chip, Hand and Kodi.  Horton is the best coach on the O staff and he is not irreplaceable.  

We are "stuck" with Gus for 2-3 more years tops if he continues the way he has coached the majority of his career at AU.  The raise was absurd, but we are not tied to Gus for 7 years or like that.  If Gus continues to lay eggs like Clemson, LSU, Mercer, the SECCG, today and 2015-2016 Gus will get fired.

wde

Yep. The new AD won't let their job be on the line for an absurd raise and extension to a coach they didn't hire or extend. 

Being at the game today I can say Gus was not meddling.  He was always 20 yards from the line of scrimmage with his headset up and the condensed index card of plays.  I was focused on him a few times out of curiosity.

If I remember correctly, this year Auburn is one of four teams that average 225 yards in passing and rushing.  So we did fix our issue of being more balanced.

No qualms with our defensive coaches. Very happy everyone is staying on board (for the time being at least).

For me, the area to pay attention to this upcoming season is the development of our offensive line.  As we saw today, that was our downfall.  Now that 4 of our starters are gone, how have the next guys up developed?  

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Being at the game today I can say Gus was not meddling.  He was always 20 yards from the line of scrimmage with his headset up and the condensed index card of plays.  I was focused on him a few times out of curiosity.

If I remember correctly, this year Auburn is one of four teams that average 225 yards in passing and rushing.  So we did fix our issue of being more balanced.

No qualms with our defensive coaches. Very happy everyone is staying on board (for the time being at least).

For me, the area to pay attention to this upcoming season is the development of our offensive line.  As we saw today, that was our downfall.  Now that 4 of our starters are gone, how have the next guys up developed?  

It is still meddling if he gives Chip 5 or 10 total plays he can use. He may not of called the plays, but he had to of given Chip the plays he could call from. This was the exact same offense we had under Lashlee. I was far too hard on Lashlee. 

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

It is still meddling if he gives Chip 5 or 10 total plays he can use. He may not of called the plays, but he had to of given Chip the plays he could call from. This was the exact same offense we had under Lashlee. I was far too hard on Lashlee. 

That is simply a guess though.  And your guess is as good as mine.  What we do know is Gus has been at least trying to look the part of not meddling with his distance and “disabling” his communication to Chip.

It wasn’t the exact same.  This offense is a lot more balanced.  This year, throwing for 2-300 yards was the norm. That hasn’t been the case in previous seasons under Lashlee.  

I truly believe 90% of our problems comes down to our offensive line play. With all this talent and to have so many years of just adequate play is inexcusable. Herb hand has got to go

We are beyond the"meddling" issues.  Put those to bed.

The HC is responsible for how a team plays 13 times.

13 events.....13 report cards.   The rest is minutia.   The team is either ready or not, the coaches make adjustments or not and back-ups are developed or not.   It's a year long process.  

Scott Frost took a winless team and had his team ready to beat Auburn in 24 months.   Wow.

32 minutes ago, shabby said:

I truly believe 90% of our problems comes down to our offensive line play. With all this talent and to have so many years of just adequate play is inexcusable. Herb hand has got to go

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Herb Hand HAS GOT TO GO.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Herb Hand HAS GOT TO GO.

Based on performance and development yes herb hand needs to go. But Gus is not going to let him go. He is a straight up yes man so he will not go anywhere. He will be here to develop another bad o line.

I'm a big Steele fan but today was not impressed. It looked like we played with D lineman and DBs. LBers not staying home and making plays. LB  names not called a lot. Left a huge gap in our defense and Milton ran through it like Nick Marshall. I expected more aggressiveness and for Milton to get beat up a little. D looked slow today as well. All of this was made worse by the fact that their 3 year starter left tackle  didn't play. 

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm a big Steele fan but today was not impressed. It looked like we played with D lineman and DBs. LBers not staying home and making plays. LB  names not called a lot. Left a huge gap in our defense and Milton ran through it like Nick Marshall. I expected more aggressiveness and for Milton to get beat up a little. D looked slow today as well. All of this was made worse by the fact that their 3 year starter left tackle  didn't play. 

We played alot today with only 2 LB's. UCF would run little crossing routes that pulled the LB's out of the middle.

No inside push from the pass rush either. Both DT's would for the most part got stood up or directed to the outside.

5 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Edit to last post: Three touches, three touchdowns 

So with Oklahoma losing, should they fire their head coach?

Should Clemson fire Dumbo Sweeney?

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

So with Oklahoma losing, should they fire their head coach?

Should Clemson fire Dumbo Sweeney?

No....they are in the playoffs. Us....not so much.

Just now, Apraser99 said:

No....they are in the playoffs. Us....not so much.

OK, so if we get to the playoffs and lose, keep Gus. But if we win the SEC West, and then lose the SEC Championship, fire Gus. I get it now.

When we won the SEC and lost the national championship to Florida St, should we have fired Gus after the game?

4 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

OK, so if we get to the playoffs and lose, keep Gus. But if we win the SEC West, and then lose the SEC Championship, fire Gus. I get it now.

When we won the SEC and lost the national championship to Florida St, should we have fired Gus after the game?

I was simply answerung your questions with my opinion. But it would not have hurt my feelings to see him dismissed after that game. I have never been a fan of GM. I think he is probably a good person and plays by the rules. I just think he has a high school playbook and mentality. Oh well at least none of my money will pay his salary after this coming summer semester. 

2 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

Both of their teams were prepared to play. 

Oklahoma and Clemson were prepared in the second half?

Georgia was prepared in the first half?

I mean with the lack of halftime adjustments by both Oklahoma and Clemson, both of those coaching staffs should be fired.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Oklahoma and Clemson were prepared in the second half?

Georgia was prepared in the first half?

Why would teams who loss in the playoffs fire their coach? Come on man. 

I can't wait until spring. The script will be....."we are really proud of the work the kids are putting in.  They are doing what we asked them to do. They are flying to the football.  Jarrett has a good grasp of the offense."  Yada yada yada. 

Archived