Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Only downside for me was Y2J. I texted my buddy that it was like Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler being one of the flagship dudes in the stable. I don't get it. I know he's one of the best guys out there on the mic and a majorly bankable name in the business but I don't understand him getting prime spots in the ring, unless it's just a short term thing to help get the younger, lesser known talent over. 

He's had some damn good matches the past couple of years in New Japan. Check out Jericho- Omega 1 & Jericho-Naito if you get a chance. Also the AEW belt needs to be on him to start as it gives the company notarity among all wrestling fan segments. His value to the company is much more than in the ring. His mic skills alone warrants him in prime spots alone in this early stage of the company.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It was fun coming in as somebody who hasn't watched wrestling in years and years. 

The way the crowd adores Cody Rhodes is really something. 

The production quality is remarkable.

The ladies match was off the charts, and it was great to see the response.

JR and Tony... man... 

I know y'all have probably already discussed a lot of this but like I said, I kind of went into it blind and really enjoyed it. 

Only downside for me was Y2J. I texted my buddy that it was like Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler being one of the flagship dudes in the stable. I don't get it. I know he's one of the best guys out there on the mic and a majorly bankable name in the business but I don't understand him getting prime spots in the ring, unless it's just a short term thing to help get the younger, lesser known talent over. 

Jericho is like a chameleon.  Dude reinvents himself every few years and does something to keep folks interested.  He's had some good stuff in the last 3 years with his feud vs Kevin Owens in WWE and his work in Japan.  Actually think he's perfect for the champ right now to help draw in the casual viewer.  And yes, he'll eventually put someone like Hangman Page over (although I'm indifferent towards Hangman).

Keep watching and wait til you see Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy as a tag team.  Freaking fun to watch.

Spot on about production too.  I thought it looked extremely professional.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Keep watching and wait til you see Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy as a tag team.  Freaking fun to watch.

And the Lucha Brothers if he hasn't seen any AEW PPVs yet.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And the Lucha Brothers if he hasn't seen any AEW PPVs yet.

I have not. 

How many PPVs have they had? How long have they been around?

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How many PPVs have they had?

3 officially that were actually PPVs. 1 event that was free. Plus "All In" was the foundation PPV that is essentially Cody & The Bucks' baby.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How long have they been around?

Since January 1, 2019.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

3 officially that were actually PPVs. 1 event that was free. Plus "All In" was the foundation PPV that is essentially Cody & The Bucks' baby.

Since January 1, 2019.

Seems like an intelligent roll-out. I hope the broadcast did numbers. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm sure it did. Seems like there's a group out there who want to watch wrestling & not WWE's "Sports Entertainment" & thus it sounds like more people checked out AEW than NXT. With NXT being a WWE brand I think it may have some negative stigmatism from fans who stopped watching wrestling & probably assume NXT is another "Sports Entertainment" WWE product. Reality is NXT is a wrestling product & is not much different than AEW right now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/wwe/aew-rumors-early-ratings-for-dynamite-debut-revealed?article-trending

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It was fun coming in as somebody who hasn't watched wrestling in years and years. 

Same with me. I caught some of the preview show Tuesday night and decided to watch. I only saw about 1/2 or so last night, but thought it was good. It was good to hear TS again and him and JR together again. I used to watch years ago, the old NWA and AWA days. 

• Like 1

I love the broadcast team! So good to see TS back in the booth, and teaming with JR is a dream.  Excalibur is a perfect 3rd. Just great.  

Gosh I love Moxley. That character is him.  Great way to rebuild the momentum of their feud.  The crowd was unbelievable.  Agree about the love for Cody. Probably just an appreciation for bringing this to fans of authentic wrestling.  Boy what an impact a Heel flip would be in the future huh? 

I did find it a little sloppy at first but really think it was nerves.  Picked up nicely.  

How can any fan of wrestling not live this tag division in AEW? Obviously Loof has not seen it yet, but adding LAX (Santana, Ortiz) was just icing on the cake.  Probably the top 3 tag teams in the World on same show.  Lucha Bros, Young Bucks and S&O. Great mid card talent like a Boy and his Dinosaur (Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy) so much fun as well like Brad said. 

Also the low blow is back! Classic heel move.  

So much fun!

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

Perfect start.  The Great One and The Man lays the Smackdown on King Corbin (STD 🤣)

• Love 1

Just now, AUBwins said:

Perfect start.  The Great One and The Man lays the Smackdown on King Corbin (STD 🤣)

The GOAT has returned. Glad I didn't have to wait hours to see him. His quips and wisecracks never get old.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

The GOAT has returned. Glad I didn't have to wait hours to see him. His quips and wisecracks never get old.

Becky had some nice snips in there as well.  Loved it. @GwillMac6 where you at? 4 Horse Women in action now!

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Dang can Charleotte put me in a leg lock please?

Figure 8 will work for me  👍

I like the girls getting the start to the Show.  Pretty good respect right there by WWE.

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Figure 8 will work for me  👍

Lol I was trying to remember the name...That's it. Knew there was a figure 4 but not figure 8. I haven't watched wrestling in years but I like her and Becky from what I see.

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Lol I was trying to remember the name...That's it. Knew there was a figure 4 but not figure 8. I haven't watched wrestling in years but I like her and Becky from what I see.

I wish you would have followed last year.  Becky, Charlotte and Ronda carried the business.  Becky's rise from mediocrity was instantaneous the moment she turned on Charlotte.  She is great!

• Like 1

Honestly,  Bray Wyatt and The fiend was one of the best build ups they have had in years.  He has officially only wrestled once on TV since being the Fiend. Spent months teasing it.  Just getting started but straight up bat crazy and creepy. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Also the low blow is back! Classic heel move.  

Perfect for a bastard.

• Love 1

Haha.  Rey brought backup.  Didn't see that storyline coming.  The 1 move squash on Kofi was stupid.  I knew it wouldn't last long and Brock would be Champ,  but 1 move? 

• Thanks 1