2019 4* OG William Putnam (Clemson)

ellitor

6 hours ago, AUwent said:

WAY TO GO JB GRIMES! /s

As  E said Horton is the lead recruiter. As many have said Grimes is not an elite recruiter so I am only partially going to defend him. This year since Grimes was not at Auburn last year he would not have a lot of relationships built up he would have to rely on others to have the relationships and his part is maybe helping to close when the players are on Campus or when he visits them. If we do get one more OT in this class which I don't believe we have a good chance at. It will be one of the ones we have started talking about in last few weeks and Grimes would get credit for that.

Assuming we keep Grimes his 1st job is to put a solid O-Line in place for next year and his second and most important long range job is to up his recruiting skills as we need O-Line bad next year.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

It is pretty rare to bring in the number one quarterback in the nation and no top offensive line men to block for him.  Usually this helps Tremendously. 

Recruiting is & has always been about relationships with coaches recruiting them, not relationships with other recruits. Putnam for example has his best relationship with the FSU OL coach of any team recruiting him.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Recruiting is & has always been about relationships with coaches recruiting them, not relationships with other recruits. Putnam for example has his best relationship with the FSU OL coach of any team recruiting him.

But i agree. 

How many times do we hear our commits say that they feel good they are going to get other top recruits to come to AU, and when signing day comes, it doesn't happen. As you say, it is mostly how comfortable they are with their recruiter or their future position coach.

Malzahn knows that their success rests on guys they recruit in the trenches and well as some quailty skill players. 

So why does he flounder in the last few years with OL recruiting?  

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Last year Hand really screwed us over leaving when he did.  We lost out on a few players because of that.  Grimes has never been an elite recruiter but can coach.  My feeling is we will start to see Grime's work with our current players pay off this next year which should help us.  Personally, I do not think Hand coached any players up at all, so Grimes has had to start at square one.

I have a theory I would like to try out over time.  I am curious if Hand jumps ship again right before the guys he currently has at Texas that were coached by the previous OL coach graduates.  It is starting to seem like this is something common.  Same thing happened at Vanderbilt.and Tulsa, his previous stops.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I have a theory I would like to try out over time.  I am curious if Hand jumps ship again right before the guys he currently has at Texas that were coached by the previous OL coach graduates.  It is starting to seem like this is something common.  Same thing happened at Vanderbilt.and Tulsa, his previous stops.

He went to PSU from Vandy with the Backstabber, but your theory still holds. His Texas bio highlighting his top 5 recruits has CA listed first and NB is also on the list.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

To be fair, his career arc looks pretty fantastic on paper. Tulsa > Vandy > PSU > AU > UT... The only move that doesn't make pretty obvious sense on paper was PSU > AU. But even that was making a "lateral move" into the SEC to his buddy's program that had fairly recently won the conference and played for a national title. 

If he were in his early 30s, people would probably call him a "rising star in the business" or something like that. Can't blame a guy for taking opportunities to advance his career. If he somehow makes a vertical move from UT, then more power to him. 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Because Gus does the evals on OL recruits instead of our OL coaches & Gus's OL evals haven't been great on the whole.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Last year Hand really screwed us over leaving when he did.  We lost out on a few players because of that.

No he didn't & no we didn't. The only one Hand could help us with was Gouraige & as it turned out his mom was always going to have him pick Florida because she wanted him close to home.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I do not think Hand coached any players up at all

Agreed

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Because Gus does the evals on OL recruits instead of our OL coaches & Gus's OL evals haven't been great on the whole.

source.gif

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If this really is the case Gus should be fired. No he should have already been fired. That is just beyond crazy.

33 minutes ago, kd4au said:

If this really is the case Gus should be fired. No he should have already been fired. That is just beyond crazy.

FWIW Bird is more plugged in than me so his Gif above should be telling.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well then he's done a good job on evaluations, considering the many fine prospects we've recruited, had on campus for visits and missed on. Who is responsible for the misses? Gus or the position coaches or the recruiter assigned to their area?

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Do you really believe the review is independent of our o-line coaches or OC?    Not the decision of who to offer but the review?   Also, do you think this is different that a Saban or Smart?   

13 hours ago, lala said:

Do you really believe the review is independent of our o-line coaches or OC?    Not the decision of who to offer but the review?   Also, do you think this is different that a Saban or Smart?   

Seems entirely possible that Gus exerts greater influence over the process than other, more successful head coaches. Especially the 2 defensive guys you mention.

Everything about Gus suggests that he wants as little outside input as possible. Look at how he handles his hiring of offensive staff. He's not growing a tree, he's pruning one. Still hoping to hear about him inviting other coaches and various types of consultants to campus in the offseason to mine new ideas and perspectives, but to my knowledge he hasn't shown much curiosity in learning different ways to do things. 

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well then he's done a good job on evaluations, considering the many fine prospects we've recruited, had on campus for visits and missed on. Who is responsible for the misses? Gus or the position coaches or the recruiter assigned to their area?

Gus would be #1, then Horton, then Grimes, then the OC, then the area recruiter. The staff as a whole. But Gus and Horton are the main ones as they are the ones who are picking which OL to go after. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus would be #1, then Horton, then Grimes, then the OC, then the area recruiter. The staff as a whole. But Gus and Horton are the main ones as they are the ones who are picking which OL to go after. 

If Gus and the Horton are picking the ones to go after, they've been doing a damn fine job. Most of the top OL prospects in the Southeast have visited for the past several years. Evaluation isn't the problem, getting the ones we've had on campus to sign has been the problem. 

13 hours ago, lala said:

We do nothing like uga and bama. This is per coaches who work with the AU assistants. Both bama and uga have at least 10 to 15 ex coaches looking at film of high school players in their "War Rooms". All they do, look at film of high school kids. Do evaluations and give these evaluations to the position coaches. The position coaches go over and watch and pick out players. Then the position coaches get with the HC. The list is made. Pretty sure UT is also doing this. 

AU? Gus, Horton, Kodi and one analysis get together and pick who to recruit. Don't think Kodi has a ton of input it's mainly Horton. They decide who to recruit. Not sure how much film they watch as the time they all have is limited. But this is how AU does it. The D side is totally different. Steele listens to his analysts. 

This is from multiple people around the program and from multiple high school coaches who have players being recruited by all of these schools. 

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

If Gus and the Horton are picking the ones to go after, they've been doing a damn fine job. Most of the top OL prospects in the Southeast have visited for the past several years. Evaluation isn't the problem, getting the ones we've had on campus to sign has been the problem. 

What? Let's be real here for a moment. The top OL's in the country visit all of the schools. All of them. All of them multiple times. That has nothing to do with any of this really. 

bama and uga know everything about these kids when they hit their campus. Know the names of the family all the way to their aunts and uncles. Know what the kid like to do beside football. It's amazing what these analyst will find out. They know the families birthdays. Send birthday cards to all of them. It's really stalking. I can go on and on. 

AU? Not anywhere to this extent. Gus has at his disposal to do what bama and uga do. Just won't or trust anyone to do this. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What? Let's be real here for a moment. The top OL's in the country visit all of the schools. All of them. All of them multiple times. That has nothing to do with any of this really. 

bama and uga know everything about these kids when they hit their campus. Know the names of the family all the way to their aunts and uncles. Know what the kid like to do beside football. It's amazing what these analyst will find out. They know the families birthdays. Send birthday cards to all of them. It's really stalking. I can go on and on. 

AU? Not anywhere to this extent. Gus has at his disposal to do what bama and uga do. Just won't or trust anyone to do this. 

When you break it down like this, I have found my calling. I know nothing about football evaluations, but could totally socially stalk for the staff. 

Ridiculous to not take advantage of those resources. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What? Let's be real here for a moment. The top OL's in the country visit all of the schools. All of them

They are coming to this campus, so the evaluation is either accurate or, if they are visiting everywhere as you say, then evaluation  doesn't matter at all because they are coming here anyway. How they are handled after they get here is a different matter, but evaluation is not the problem. Knowing their second cousin's girlfriend's name is a valid part of recruiting but it has nothing to do with evaluation.

I'm sure rival coaches are telling recruits Gus pushed Grimes out so he could hire Hand.  That's a lot of FUD to overcome for any recruiter.

Archived