Rivals ranking update August 2018 (Auburn 5* Bump Edition)

ellitor

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

That’s all they can evaluate the past 5-6 months For these guys. They had already evaluated  The junior film on most if not all of the guys Who participated on the camp circuit. Changes in rankings the past five or six months has been due to the camp circuit and rating new guys  they hadn’t seen Junior film of yet.

One of the biggest recruiting steals I can remember at AU was women's point guard Whitney Boddie. She stirred the drink plus scored a lot of points for Nell Fortner's first four teams. Auburn got her because she worked on a job during the summers instead of attending camps and playing AAU ball. None other than Pat Summit said "Had I known Whit Boddie existed, she'd have been at Tennessee".

Point being, those evaluations and scouting views obtained in off-season activities have an over-weighted importance in recruiting.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Personally, I'm not overly concerned with who we get as 5 stars. I mean, sure, it's nice, and I want as many of our guys as possible to be ranked as highly as possible, if only for appearances. 

That said, football is about more than recruiting stars, and I want guys who play like 5 stars, whether they're listed as such or not. Of those years Loof mentioned, only 2013 is really all that viable, because that was the only year with more than one 5 star that panned out. Mikey has seen a ton of Auburn football (he was right there beside Golf and Noah on the Ark, I believe), and recruiting rankings have really only been around during this century, so it's kinda easy to give him a pass. Also, I'll give him credit because he was the one harping about how Tre Williams would have been starting at LB in 2013, when Williams was still a senior in high school. But if only three out of seven 5 stars are going to pan out at Auburn, then give me 3 and 4 stars who will outwork the 5 stars. 

And I think that was more to Mikey's point: Auburn may not be a blue blood school that is going to sign multiple 5 stars most years, but we've had some pretty darned good teams made up of those 3 and 4 stars. Just because SPUAT is signing them in record numbers since Saban arrived doesn't mean we won't bloody their nose in years we put it together (fun fact: Little Nicky is 0-7 against Auburn teams that won 9 games or more), and we shouldn't be so upset when the guys we think are 5 star talents don't end up as 5 stars in the composite rankings. I'm tickled silly that we have Nix and Pickens committed, and I couldn't care less if they get the ratings bumps that will make them 5 stars. Recruiting rankings are just like preseason rankings: they really only matter until the first snap of the season. After that, it's about what is done on the field.

That's all true. Meanwhile, bama is sitting on boatloads of championships and we've never strung together 2 consecutive 10 win seasons. I envy the people who are genuinely satisfied with the status quo but I think most of us hope for better and I am certain that our staff and players expect and are striving for better.

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's all true. Meanwhile, bama is sitting on boatloads of championships and we've never strung together 2 consecutive 10 win seasons. I envy the people who are genuinely satisfied with the status quo but I think most of us hope for better and I am certain that our staff and players expect and are striving for better.

I DO hope for better, though winning 10 games has gotten much easier in the last couple of decades with the addition of a 12th game, conference championship, and so many bowl games that simply being .500 gets you in one of them. So it's not as if we haven't strung together really good seasons in a row, just not since Bowden in 93 and 94 (when we played no bowl game). But that is no excuse for you getting so snippy about how you "appreciate people who do things for themselves" and how you're "not fond of lazy whiners."

Ironically, you were whining about someone else whining when he wasn't even whining, he was simply an older guy remembering incorrectly. Some people don't care to fact check every detail of everything they say, so they say things like "I don't recall." But you went off on him for no reason. Why? Does Mikey get under your skin that easily? I mean, we're all on the same team here...

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

I DO hope for better, though winning 10 games has gotten much easier in the last couple of decades with the addition of a 12th game, conference championship, and so many bowl games that simply being .500 gets you in one of them. So it's not as if we haven't strung together really good seasons in a row, just not since Bowden in 93 and 94 (when we played no bowl game). But that is no excuse for you getting so snippy about how you "appreciate people who do things for themselves" and how you're "not fond of lazy whiners."

Ironically, you were whining about someone else whining when he wasn't even whining, he was simply an older guy remembering incorrectly. Some people don't care to fact check every detail of everything they say, so they say things like "I don't recall." But you went off on him for no reason. Why? Does Mikey get under your skin that easily? I mean, we're all on the same team here...

Ah. That's what this is about. You're not familiar with all of Mikey's history or my history with him. I'll continue to deal with him how I see fit. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ah. That's what this is about. You're not familiar with all of Mikey's history or my history with him. I'll continue to deal with him how I see fit. 

Oh you will, will you? So a moderator telling you to tone it down has no effect on you, then?

Trust me, Mikey and I have had our spats, but over time I think we've come to respect one another. Are you unwilling to call a truce?

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Oh you will, will you? So a moderator telling you to tone it down has no effect on you, then?

Trust me, Mikey and I have had our spats, but over time I think we've come to respect one another. Are you unwilling to call a truce?

Lol. Didn't realize someone called the cops. Odd thing to get emotional about but do what you think is best bro.

48 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You're still a Mod?

Just now, bigbird said:

You're still a Mod?

That's what it says under my name, at least.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

It wasn’t for no reason lol. Mikey makes good points at times, but he definitely stirs the pot, makes irrational accusations and definitely has hot takes for controversy. Maybe it is beneath some posters to go back and forth with him. I don’t know ??‍♂️.

What I do know is I think you should, at the very least, be able to back up what you say on this forum, if you are going to talk in absolutes ( or add IMO). If you don’t know something you should be willing to take the opportunity yourself to look it up and also be able to say “agree to disagree.” 

Loof is one of the better posters on this forum. He is very respected. We have had our disagreements, but what I can say about him, is even in disagreement, he does do a very good job in backing up his position and being open to interpretation. 

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

247 did their Summer ranking a few weeks ago. The next time they do rankings will be before the All Star games. 247 is not holding George back much, ESPN is. He is #95 there & needs a combined 32 spot jump from any of the sites to be a composite 5*. 247 is holding Bo back & he will not get a composite 5th* from their next ranking because lead evaluator Barton Simmons is not sold on him. Bo is going to have to beat Spencer Rattler head to head at Under Armour All Star week in January to get a 5th *. He needs a combined 48 spot jump from the sites FTR.

E, your last comment in this post got me thinking, and I wanted to know your opinion and other posters opinions. By the time the UA All Star competition rolls around in January, Bo Nix will have finished his last year of high school football and be enrolled at AU. He could possibly be competing for a starting job once spring starts. If you were Bo, would it be worth the time and injury risk to compete for a 5th Star, or would you shut it down and focus on AU? 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

E, your last comment in this post got me thinking, and I wanted to know your opinion and other posters opinions. By the time the UA All Star competition rolls around in January, Bo Nix will have finished his last year of high school football and be enrolled at AU. He could possibly be competing for a starting job once spring starts. If you were Bo, would it be worth the time and injury risk to compete for a 5th Star, or would you shut it down and focus on AU? 

If it were me, I'd shut it down and focus on Auburn, but I respect whatever decision Bo makes. It's his life, after all.

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Mikey makes good points at times, but he definitely stirs the pot, makes irrational accusations and definitely has hot takes for controversy. Maybe it is beneath some posters to go back and forth with him. I don’t know ??‍♂️.

I completely disagree with this. His points are always backed up even if he gets a few (mostly irrelevant) contextual details wrong. His wisdom is cherished on this board. That Whitney Boddie point of his was awesome and just an example of the kind of wisdom that I’ve come to expect from him. 

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I completely disagree with this. His points are always backed up even if he gets a few (mostly irrelevant) contextual details wrong. His wisdom is cherished on this board. That Whitney Boddie point of his was awesome and just an example of the kind of wisdom that I’ve come to expect from him. 

Well me and you normally completely disagree so that’s okay

42 minutes ago, fredst said:

Nah, Loof stinks.

Oh, look at Mister Fancy Pants. Let me guess, you're one of those guys who "showers" and "uses deodorant". Sorry if the smell of nature offends you, FREDST.

It's not like I've gotten kicked off a plane... often.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I mean would that be any different than when people choose to sit out bowl games to go to the NFL? If you have a problem with one, you better have a problem with the other. I am not specifically saying you. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I mean would that be any different than when people choose to sit out bowl games to go to the NFL? If you have a problem with one, you better have a problem with the other. I am not specifically saying you. 

I was just asking out of curiousity, but the bowl situation is what came to my mind. I’m sure Under Armour and other sponsors  want maximum star power for their events. But I can see situations for early enrollees leading kids to skip them. Changing times for sure. 

44 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

The problem with Mikey, and with golf, is they played football before the advent of leather helmets. If you catch my drift.

so now you got a problem with me???? How the hell did I get dragged into this 

season 1 community GIF

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I was just asking out of curiousity, but the bowl situation is what came to my mind. I’m sure Under Armour and other sponsors  want maximum star power for their events. But I can see situations for early enrollees leading kids to skip them. Changing times for sure. 

And if you are a competitor you do enjoy these things. A lot of these guys are friends and this is the last time they get to compete with each other in this nature before college, tbh. 

Just now, augolf1716 said:

so now you got a problem with me???? How the hell did I get dragged into this 

season 1 community GIF

giphy.gif

Just kidding ?

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, it's different. In a bowl game, you are completing the season with the same team you have been in the trenches with all fall. In an All-Star game, you're playing with some friends, but for the most part strangers or loose acquaintances. I would liken it more to sitting out the Pro Bowl than a bowl game. That isn't to say it's wrong to sit out the bowl game, only that it's not the same thing.

Just now, Rednilla said:

Yes, it's different. In a bowl game, you are completing the season with the same team you have been in the trenches with all fall. In an All-Star game, you're playing with some friends, but for the most part strangers or loose acquaintances. I would liken it more to sitting out the Pro Bowl than a bowl game. That isn't to say it's wrong to sit out the bowl game, only that it's not the same thing.

That’s a fair point.

Archived