Malik Miller, Asa Martin 'may get more opportunities'

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

Auburn's Malik Miller, Asa Martin 'may get more opportunities' against Mississippi State

Updated Oct 1, 2:30 PM; Posted Oct 1, 12:25 PM

Redshirt sophomore Malik Miller, as well as freshman Asa Martin, could see more reps this week against Mississippi State. (Michael Chang/Getty Images)

25 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Malik Miller and Asa Martin could see expanded roles in the backfield when Auburn visits Davis Wade Stadium this weekend.

With the status of leading rusher Boobee Whitlow unknown following the redshirt freshman's second quarter shoulder injury against Southern Miss, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said the two could be bigger factors at running back against Mississippi State. No. 8 Auburn (4-1, 1-1 SEC) will face Mississippi State (3-2, 0-2) on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. (ESPN2) in Starkville, Miss.

"Right now, with Boobee out, they may get more opportunities," Lindsey said. "I know Asa has gotten a couple here and there throwing the ball to him, and we have some runs for Asa. I think just continue to practice well, that would (be key to getting more playing time)."

Martin and Miller have been the fourth and fifth running backs on Auburn's depth chart this season, behind Whitlow, Kam Martin and Shaun Shivers. Asa Martin has totaled two carries for 13 yards while adding two receptions for 36 yards in three games as a true freshman. Miller, meanwhile, has just one 14-yard carry -- a touchdown against Alabama State -- and one reception for 30 yards in two games this season as a redshirt sophomore.

Auburn coaches proud of Kam Martin

"I thought he made quick decisions and was more assertive and tried to be more physical. I thought he really did a nice job and really impressed me on how physical he was."

While Kam Martin received the bulk of the work at running back following Whitlow's injury and led the team in rushing, both Asa Martin and Miller were called to action in the Tigers' 24-13 win against the Golden Eagles after Whitlow left the game midway through the second quarter. Neither recorded a carry against Southern Miss, but both were involved in the passing game, both as receivers and pas protectors.

Asa Martin caught a 3-yard pass from Jarrett Stidham in the second quarter on the play before Whitlow was injured. Miller, meanwhile, converted a third-and-20 in the third quarter with a 30-yard catch-and-run on a swing pass from Stidham.

"Malik has kind of worked as a third-down protector for us," Lindsey said. "Obviously, when Boobee went down, Malik was the next guy and he stepped in there and really made some nice plays. I was talking to him (Sunday) during stretch and I'm really proud of him. He hasn't gotten as many reps as he would like, but he stepped in there and did a great job. He's a true Auburn man. He's ready when his number is called, and I thought he rose to the challenge pretty well."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn will provide an update to Whitlow's injury during his weekly press conference on Tuesday morning. Lindsey said Whitlow was at Sunday's typically light practice, though he did not disclose how limited the 6-foot, 216-pounder was -- leaving the door open for potentially more opportunities this week for the likes of Miller and Asa Martin.

"We're going to put the guys out there and give them the ball -- the guys the coaches feel like have the best chance of playing and being successful," Malzahn said after the game Saturday. "Nothing against Asa; he's got a role for us. But right now, like I said, Boobee and Kam Martin were the two guys. Shivers is coming on. Malik Miller, he did some good stuff on third downs. We had the big screen play. It was third-and-20 something, and he made a really good play on that. But Asa just needs to keep growing.

"He's going to be a really good player. But he has a role on the offense, and it could grow. We'll just see how it goes in practice."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that those guys are up and Joiner's not. Not necessarily a big deal or a bad thing, especially since Miller is experienced and brings some blocking ability. 

We might've made a little too much of Joiner's good reps against Alabama State. In fact, we made too much about everyone's good reps in that game. 

"May" & "Could" are Gus speak for "We're running Kam into the dirt Saturday".

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

This was my exact thought.  40 carries for 82 yards

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

For years I’ve disregarded what Gus “says” and watch what he does when it comes to his coach speak.  It started when Carl Lawson was day to day during the 2015 season.  He never returned to the field that year.

Quotes like "we have a couple runs for him" drives me crazy. Why does each player have plays designed specifically for them? I mean don't send miller on a speed sweep yeah but the guy should be able to execute 98% of the runs plays we have in this offense. Part of the reason our offense is so predictable is that you know what plays will be ran just by who is on the field. Ugh....

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Quotes like "we have a couple runs for him" drives me crazy. Why does each player have plays designed specifically for them? I mean don't send miller on a speed sweep yeah but the guy should be able to execute 98% of the runs plays we have in this offense. Part of the reason our offense is so predictable is that you know what plays will be ran just by who is on the field. Ugh....

My biggest complaint is Malzahn pigeonholes players into certain roles. Rarely do they become well rounded offensive players. 

32 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

horriblebuttrue.gif

17 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

My biggest complaint is Malzahn pigeonholes players into certain roles. Rarely do they become well rounded offensive players. 

Can't round 'em out too much. His favorite game is peg in the circle hole.

42 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

So we'll see him in 2-3 years..

I think Gus will wait til his eligibility runs out and then put him in as an experiment.

29 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

yes, like NCM becoming an extension of the offensive line.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

:bow:

Gus is not a diversified coach - apparently neither are any of the other O coaches on this staff.  And why the devil hasn't someone anyone, a GA/off-field analyst/ball boy pointed out the predictability relative to personnel groupings?  Why the hell haven't someone (Steele) from this top shelf defensive staff TOLD the HC what they see when scouting this offense?

Lord Have Mercy, I've posted this exact same sentence for 4 straight years.  When will it end?

Actually the point made here is a good one......seems like our defensive staff could provide help as to why the offense is easily defended.  Too simplistic?

51 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Actually the point made here is a good one......seems like our defensive staff could provide help as to why the offense is easily defended.  Too simplistic?

IDK - I think it goes back to the too stubborn to listen? Ego? Is Gus' attention to detail so finite that he's obtuse and won't take criticism or critique from someone like Steele?

Auburn has a well seasoned, experienced DC in Steele. He's operated in a couple of different conferences and he's trained under some really good HC's in his profession.  Any HC/OC with the brain of a fig wouldn't have Steele scout our O every week, every scrimmage, every game.  Ask him to watch film till he drops and then use his data to devise/design an offense that breaks the obvious tendencies that a local Y league coach can see when he watches AU play on Saturday's.

Another area of deficiency that is so glaringly obvious that it's almost comical we still see this is an issue 6 yrs into a coaching regime - it's depressing.

i am not real happy with gus but do some of you really think gus beat saban and kirbster with high school coaching?  lol   ok with that.

Archived