Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

30 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, that's actually pretty funny. ....but it's still pretty damning of Gus if he and his staff can't recruit NFL talent.

They can recruit them they just don't seem to be able to develop them.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish the kid the best. Hope he lands in a good situation and has success...just hope it isn’t somewhere that he beats us. And, if he ends up being the AU Alvin Kamara....

9817B083-92B7-4516-BCC2-8B532CF9D621.gif

1 hour ago, chimes said:

This is so off the mark. Those guys transferred because they were stuck behind future heisman winners and nfl running backs. AM wanted to redshirt this year and got screwed by the idiots on the coaching staff. 

Not nessesarily.  There were 5 guys ahead of him with more coming in this year.  It’s not far fetched to say what I have said.  

1 hour ago, Farmer Brown said:

Auburn has had six players transfer since the start of the season. They probably question the idiocy of this program right now, and want to play where there is normalcy. I might have missed another.

That is 1 above the average I believe (5) for power five programs.  Just the way it is.  With these new transfer rules, it will happen.  

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not nessesarily.  There were 5 guys ahead of him with more coming in this year.  It’s not far fetched to say what I have said.  

Apples to oranges 

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That is 1 above the average I believe (5) for power five programs.  Just the way it is.  With these new transfer rules, it will happen.  

Let’s see how many we add in the spring 

The whole “he was down the depth chart” is just a crazy sentiment for me to understand. Kam Pettway was also “down the depth chart” and only got to play when we absolutely had no other choice. Had a pretty good season that year to say the least. Where Asa was on the current depth chart is absolutely irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, chimes said:

Apples to oranges 

It just depends on how you look at it I suppose.

1 minute ago, chimes said:

Let’s see how many we add in the spring 

I think that is fair.

In regards to the discussion as a whole on Asa: I liked the kid.  I was very excited when he committed.  I thought of him as the next KJ.  I did think he needed to transfer though for him and his family.

I think a lot of people on this forum also forgot he had a lot of fumbling issues, which is why he was buried in the depth chart.  With this day and age, if kids don’t start they are tempted to transfer because they are used to being the “top dog.”  I wish him nothing but the best and hopes he succeeds wherever he lands.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't care how far down the depth chart he was or whether or not he was ever going to play at Auburn, you do NOT treat a player, esp a young man right out of high school, to this type of stupidity or incompetence.

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

The whole “he was down the depth chart” is just a crazy sentiment for me to understand. Kam Pettway was also “down the depth chart” and only got to play when we absolutely had no other choice. Had a pretty good season that year to say the least. Where Asa was on the current depth chart is absolutely irrelevant. 

Barber was two or three spots down

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Pettway wasn’t a running back, so I am not sure if that applies.  He was a fullback who was converted out of emergency needs.  There were only two running backs on the roster before Pettway.  Right now there are five running backs ahead of Asa.  

And people forgetting that with his frame he can be 220 and still have all of his speed. I want to say he had very good hands as well

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

It’s interesting that Asa decides to transfer after Chip leaves.  One would think that if Chip made all of the offensive decision about who plays and who sits, he would have stayed.

3QeZ.gif

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Pettway wasn’t a running back, so I am not sure if that applies.  He was a fullback who was converted out of emergency needs.  There were only two running backs on the roster before Pettway.  Right now there are five running backs ahead of Asa.  

There are 4 and Martin really don't count and Miller doesn't measure up at all, they will be moving him you h back or full back. It was his first year, asa had the most potential out of them all to be a complete back

It's not so much that Asa is transferring.  I'm really not surprised he is.  I hate to see him go but wish him the best.  To me it just shows once again this offensive staff seems to have no plan, strategy, or competency.  The guy enrolled early, went thru Spring training, played in 4 games, and this staff still can't determine whether this kid will be able to contribute this year or how he might fit into the offense?  Wasted a year of this kid's eligibility for nothing.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There are 4 and Martin really don't count and Miller doesn't measure up at all, they will be moving him you h back or full back. It was his first year, asa had the most potential out of them all to be a complete back

I would count Miller as he had a good year for us and was a great blocker.  I do agree with you that Miller had a ton of potential and I am sad to see him leave, but I do understand and wish him the best.  That’s about all we can do as fans really.

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

we still have another 7 months to go and we are 1 above your believed to be average for the year, it is not just the way it is, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It just depends on how you look at it I suppose.

I think that is fair.

In regards to the discussion as a whole on Asa: I liked the kid.  I was very excited when he committed.  I thought of him as the next KJ.  I did think he needed to transfer though for him and his family.

I think a lot of people on this forum also forgot he had a lot of fumbling issues, which is why he was buried in the depth chart.  With this day and age, if kids don’t start they are tempted to transfer because they are used to being the “top dog.”  I wish him nothing but the best and hopes he succeeds wherever he lands.

I can definitely respect this post and your point of view. I think the coaches really mismanaged AM and that had more to do with him transferring than anything. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

we still have another 7 months to go and we are 1 above your believed to be average for the year, it is not just the way it is, unfortunately.

I was actually trying to think of who transferred this year and actually can’t think of 6 so I am not sure where the number came from.  I can only think of 2.  Am I misremembering?

I hope Gus is happy with the way he botched Asa's redshirt and now he's transferring out. Another great coaching move on Malzahn's part.

44 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

They can recruit them they just don't seem to be able to develop them.

Exactly.

I wish him luck wherever he ends up.  Kids transfer in all sports. People change jobs looking for a better situation.  I don’t hold anything against him.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

I was actually trying to think of who transferred this year and actually can’t think of 6 so I am not sure where the number came from.  I can only think of 2.  Am I misremembering?

Asa, NCM, J Myers, Jaylen Harris off the top of my head.  found an article stating that NCM was the sixth player since fall camp to transfer, so that would put us at 7 I guess.

Archived