Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

As  bad as things have gotten with the current Gus/BOT situation, this latest fiasco involving Asa Martin is....well, it's not just bad, it's embarrassingly bad. :banghead:

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

At running back, especially in the SEC, the one thing that you can't compromise is depth. 
Hopefully, Coach Malzahn will move Harold Joiner from H-Back to Running Back to give the team "a little" bit more depth. That is provided he doesn't transfer as well. 

Literally could have our very own Derrick Henry or Kalen Ballage (8TDs in 1 game and excellent receiver) depending on how we decided to use him. 

Our RB room needs some juice and excitement in a very bland lineup of backs.

I don't think I need to emphasize how drastically different our running game could of been with a LONG Back in a spread-to-run scheme that is used to running out of a spread out formation, hitting the edge (using those long arms to stiff-arm smaller and shorter players on the edge), and even catching thanks to his H-Back utility. And that's assuming he can't run in between the tackles.

Let's rewind to Thursday. 

Glad to see your post, I’ve been missing your insight and perspective!

Before getting to replies, I also want to give a warm welcome to @Malcolm_FleX48! Its great seeing you back! And I couldn't agree more with your above comment.

14 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Martin was way behind on the depth chart.  In this day and age that is cause for a transfer for his best interest.  This will happen to every program.  If you guys are referencing Saban saying this would never happen to him, it did.  Recently two guys come to mind: Corey Grant and Alvin Kamara.

Grant and Kamara didn't transfer for near the same reason as Asa. There really is no comparison between the three. The only thing similar with their transfers is that they transferred. The circumstances behind each transfer is significantly different. 

You DO realize Asa transferred because the coaching staff screwed him out of a year of his career don't you? He didn't transfer because of his spot on the depth chart. Depth chart issues are why Grant and Kamara left. Leaving for depth issues is a completely different world than leaving for the gross negligence prompted Asa's transfer.

14 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Boobie, Worm, Malik, Kmart, Joiner argue about lack of depth.  Asa showed the least of these 5.  Kmart and Malik only upper classmen I believe.  Bring in some one or two guys this class and get a decent Oline up front and we’re running all over people.

Boobie and Worm are the only ones on that list that had a remote chance to stay above Asa. KMart was given the chance and showed quite obviously that he couldn't be RB1 at Auburn. Miller has been here 47 years already and has rarely seen the field. Plus there are athletic OL faster than Miller. Joiner isn't even a RB. (This is yet another example of #ButGus.) Joiner was a top 5 RB in last years class (Asa was 10 by comparison.) Gus made it clear to Joiner that he wasn't being recruited to be RB1 at Auburn. Gus sold him on the idea of Charles Clay from Tulsa. A hybrid TE/RB. And last I saw, Joiner (the #5 RB in the nation last year) isn't even practicing with the RBs, but with the TEs. And as much as I love Worm, his body style will most likely prevent him from ever being a between the tackles, 20+ carries a game RB1. So that leaves Boobie. Boobie who has been injured a vast majority of his time at Auburn, and has significant issues holding on to the ball. As much as I bash Gus, he has had a tendency to pull RBs with Butterfingers. So that left Asa to be RB1 next season. 

Also, RB recruiting this class isn't looking so good. Gus has put virtually every egg into one guys basket. This guys hometown just happens to be (or extremely close to) Baton Rouge Louisiana. Yet Gus thinks he can get him... The other RB we are in play for has a brother who has been a superstar WR at Miami, and Miami is the odds on favorite to land the other brother. But they aren't even looking to take him at RB. So even if he signs, it's another famous #ButGus "project."

But sure. Depth scared Asa off.

14 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Go to the FB forums....you'll see those exact statements in the AU groups. The one i'm seeing the most in the last week is that the players are scared to "compete" that's why they didn't choose AU or transferring. Many are making those comments about Kelly Bryant and now Asa. I'm like REALLY?!! These guys have competed their entire lives and Asa is transferring b/c he was scared to compete or complaining about playing time? WTH? So let's just forget the major fact that our staff can't count to 4 and blew his redshirt? SMH. 

I wish AU could get as many good players as possible but i don't blame players like KB not coming to AU and guys like NCM and Asa transferring b/c if i'm looking at it without my love for AU football....they made the right decision. From his mother's comments, it appears as though they would've been fine with Asa redshirting. It's the fact the staff blew his redshirt and then try to act like he was going to be utilized to make it right and he wasn't. I don't blame the young man b/c he's likely not going to be used much this season and we'll likely be firing Gus and then his 3rd season would be in question depending on the new coach and system.  

I'll be honest, my prediction on seeing that happen, wasn't that much of a hot take. Auburn fans are EXTREMELY predictable when it comes to that kind of behavior.

9 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Who are the ones coming in this year? Last I checked we didn't have a RB committed and were putting all of our eggs into the Noah Cain (LSU most likely) or Mark Anthony Richards (Miami most likely) basket. Also as far as Richards goes, Miami isn't even after him as a RB, but a WR. So if we do have more incoming this year they won't be near as talented as Asa.

Actually this is incorrect.  Miami has backed off of MAR because they do not feel good about him.  It’s an Auburn/Penn State battle that Auburn feels good about.  The other back we will most likely land is DJ Williams (NC State signee) who had an excellent senior season and recently earned his fourth star.  Many on this forum like him better than Cain due to his film.

Regarding Grant and Kamara, it is fair to compare them.  Yes Asa most likely left in large part due to the redshirt issue, but we do not know if that was the only issue.  It is hard to imagine the depth chart did not play a part at all.  The reality is we don’t know every single reason.  We can only guess.  Not to say your theory is wrong, or that mine is wrong.  I actually think we are both right as it is a mixture of both.  I hope that makes sense.  

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Actually this is incorrect.  Miami has backed off of MAR because they do not feel good about him.  It’s an Auburn/Penn State battle that Auburn feels good about.  The other back we will most likely land is DJ Williams (NC State signee) who had an excellent senior season and recently earned his fourth star.

Regarding Grant and Kamara, it is fair to compare them.  Yes Asa most likely left in large part due to the redshirt issue, but we do not know if that was the only issue.  It is hard to imagine the depth chart did not play a part at all.  The reality is we don’t know every single reason.  We can only guess.  Not to say your theory is wrong, or that mine is wrong.  I actually think we are both right as it is a mixture of both.  I hope that makes sense.  

It does. And it also makes sense that's how you view it since you always try to see the positive in these situations, but for me, its too difficult staying positive when we don't really see any positives ya know? Also as far as MAR goes, that's why  I said "last I checked" because that's how it was the last time I checked. I rarely go in the recruiting side anymore. I used to be in there as much as here, but after missing in Justyn Ross last year and then Andrew Booth (who recently was bumped to like #8 overall recruit of any position in the country) I had to stop going there. It broke me. I decided to not even pay attention too much until they sign their NLI. No need even considering them until they actually play for us in my mind. I got too upset constantly losing out big time NEEDED recruits to Clemson. 

But I just don't see the depth chart having a play AT ALL not even 0.0000000000000000000000000001%. He was right in line to step into starting next season with Boobies fumbling and health issues, Shivers body limitations, and 2 other guys who have shown they don't have the ability to be RB1. Asa was on campus for less than a year. KMart and slow man Miller have been on campus MULTIPLE years. 

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It does. And it also makes sense that's how you view it since you always try to see the positive in these situations, but for me, its too difficult staying positive when we don't really see any positives ya know? Also as far as MAR goes, that's why  I said "last I checked" because that's how it was the last time I checked. I rarely go in the recruiting side anymore. I used to be in there as much as here, but after missing in Justyn Ross last year and then Andrew Booth (who recently was bumped to like #8 overall recruit of any position in the country) I had to stop going there. It broke me. I decided to not even pay attention too much until they sign their NLI. No need even considering them until they actually play for us in my mind. I got too upset constantly losing out big time NEEDED recruits to Clemson

Someone has to be the positive one!  Honestly, after a while it just gets tiring to see people constantly bash Gus.  It is like their cheap way of therapy to get emotions out from their lives because they know they can hide behind their keyboard and say whatever they want.  In real life we all know they would never say a word.  Some of it is warranted, but now we are to the point where people are making threads saying things that cannot be backed up with facts saying they have “insider sources.”  Who is your insider source, Josh Moon?  :laugh:

You should go to the recruiting forum!  I think it’s fun when we get a commitment.  And I am excited about our new class coming in.  OP just reaffirmed his commitment to us, and Nix looks the real deal.  I am one of the few to say this but I think he can come in and start right away.  He is that good.  That is why I was okay with Bryant not choosing us because of Nix.

7 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

At running back, especially in the SEC, the one thing that you can't compromise is depth. 
Hopefully, Coach Malzahn will move Harold Joiner from H-Back to Running Back to give the team "a little" bit more depth. That is provided he doesn't transfer as well. 

Literally could have our very own Derrick Henry or Kalen Ballage (8TDs in 1 game and excellent receiver) depending on how we decided to use him. 

I don't think I need to emphasize how drastically different our running game could of been with a LONG Back in a spread-to-run scheme that is used to running out of a spread out formation, hitting the edge (using those long arms to stiff-arm smaller and shorter players on the edge), and even catching thanks to his H-Back utility. And that's assuming he can't run in between the tackles.

Totally agree.  I would like to see Joiner get a shot at it.  Hopefully he shows up during bowl prep and spring.  Give the coaches a reason to play him. 

Glad to see you're back. 

7 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I agree would love to joiner get his chance. I just don't think we can continue losing players to transfer every year. You may lose one here and there but we have lost to many over past few years. The other problem is how can a coaching staff, if they are going to redshirt a player, screw up the number of games he has played in. This is just part of the narrative that Gus doesn't have a clue how to manage this program. 

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

we still have another 7 months to go and we are 1 above your believed to be average for the year, it is not just the way it is, unfortunately.

We are right at average attrition (6) for this time of year. Average over a long time has been from 7 to 11 per year. Lately, with the new, relaxed transfer rules, average for ALL P5 teams has run closer to from 10 to 14. These days, below 10 would be low attrition, over 14 would be high. That's for a full calendar year.

The only thing a player can count on is a chance at a free education and the opportunity to fight for playing time. Now somewhere in the weeds are expectations of the parents, player and coaches which I am sure are all not always on the same page. Funny how we live in a society that communicates more now than ever before, but we still have the same basic problem, effective communication.

2018-19 attrition from August 1st through today, scholarship players only:

Tyler Carr, Ol 8/1/'18~~~John Broussard, DB 9/4/'18~~Jalen Harris, TE 9/19/'18~~ N.C. Myers, 9/21/18~~~Javahun Meyers, 9/21/18~~~Asa Martin, 12/8/18

If I've overlooked anybody, please post who and I'll update.

Six so far, running about average for this time of year and the current transfer rules.

Everybody in Asa's circle said they planned before and during the year to redshirt, so how could the depth chart play any significant role in the matter? The only two RBs of value ahead of him were Boobie and Shivers, and Gus doesn't even like using Shivers if you have 250+ pound linemen on your defense (no shot to Shivers at all btw). It really was gonna come down to Boobie and Asa in the future for the lead back role, and maybe you sit back and say "okay Asa conceded because all his touches got ate up" at that point. 

No decent team feared our running game this past season. Whitlow out  performed anyone’s expectations but he was injured often, has the same average OL coming back and no Cox blocking ahead. The rest are all smaller backs and projects.

Asa leaving doesn’t help, but I didn’t see him making a major impact next season anyway. What it does continue to show is how poorly Run a program we are. Hopefully we just have one more season of this to suffer through.

17 hours ago, The Freak said:

3QeZ.gif

It was a tongue in cheek kind of comment.  Most of the Sunshine Pumpers are now jumping on CCL as the problem with the offense all along.  Soooo, if the problem is gone, why would Asa transfer?  It seems Asa is not confident in his ability to move up the depth chart while he is at Auburn even though the “problem” has been removed.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

It was a tongue in cheek kind of comment.  Most of the Sunshine Pumpers are now jumping on CCL as the problem with the offense all along.  Soooo, if the problem is gone, why would Asa transfer?  It seems Asa is not confident in the his ability to move up the depth chart while he is at Auburn even though the “problem” has been removed.

I have missed anyone blaming CCL.

You guys are going to have to understand, the Guscommittee will never admit to him doing any wrong. They get a kick of making you all upset. I just post and show whatever they say to be ridiculous and keep it moving.

But go back and forth with them?? Why. If they ask a question and you answer their next reply is name another. You post stats showing a trend they will just talk about the one anomaly,

Mikey is the leader one time I mentioned roc Thomas he didn't know he was playing for the Vikings so he was saying he lack talent, when I said he was in the NFL he said Gus steered him to his goals😂 

Question the group that taking the stand for Gus...when have you seen any of them say he's done anything wrong?? Not coaching, not developing, not recruiting. Look at the state of our program....but to them Gus has done everything right. Don't let them upset you, you're never going to back them into a corner. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

You guys are going to have to understand, the Guscommittee will never admit to him doing any wrong. They get a kick of making you all upset. I just post and show whatever they say to be ridiculous and keep it moving.

But go back and forth with them?? Why. If they ask a question and you answer their next reply is name another. You post stats showing a trend they will just talk about the one anomaly,

Mikey is the leader one time I mentioned roc Thomas he didn't know he was playing for the Vikings so he was saying he lack talent, when I said he was in the NFL he said Gus steered him to his goals😂 

Question the group that taking the stand for Gus...when have you seen any of them say he's done anything wrong?? Not coaching, not developing, not recruiting. Look at the state of our program....but to them Gus has done everything right. Don't let them upset you, you're not ever going to back them into a corner. 

/Thread

20 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Ok, this may be the last time I ever participate in the “man crush” thread.  Last year I picked NCM, this year Asa.  Maybe next year I’ll pick one of bama’s best players.  Haha!

Please pick Malzahn.

For me, it matters not if Martin was the next Bo Jackson, or a candidate for 5th string. As I understand it, the plan as discussed with him and his folks, was to play 4 games, then redshirt. And Auburn (Malzahn) botched it.

Any chance the staff is having a tough time with Martin and family, decide to intentionally take off the redshirt, then ice it as a sort of nudge toward transferring? 

On 12/7/2018 at 6:35 AM, abw0004 said:

It appears it was Chip that botched the redshirt?  Am I reading that right?  If so, and if Chip was the one who leaked information to Marcelo, but it was for the best of Chip moved on.  For everyone’s sake.  

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I have missed anyone blaming CCL.

Here ya go, and he isn’t the only one.  I’m not talking just about this thread.

16 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Any chance the staff is having a tough time with Martin and family, decide to intentionally take off the redshirt, then ice it as a sort of nudge toward transferring? 

Well, it was a Genius move, then.  Look at how well it's turned out so far...

Read the article with Asa’s moms interview.  She said he wasn’t looking to transfer did I read that right? And now he is transferring? Chip and Gus screwed this up royally. No matter how far down on the depth chart he was.. we need him. SMH at this coaching staff and administration. 

13 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Read the article with Asa’s moms interview.  She said he wasn’t looking to transfer did I read that right? And now he is transferring? Chip and Gus screwed this up royally. No matter how far down on the depth chart he was.. we need him. SMH at this coaching staff and administration. 

She also said her discussions were with Chip...so who knows...:dunno:   hope he lands where he can play regularly but was not going to happen here it seems 

Archived