Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

Just now, ToraGirl said:

You're right...but then there's this domino thing. #timingiseverything

It is right before the early signing period so he has more options ahead of him.  It’s smart on his end.  But it does make wonder if he does sign in the early signing period if there was tampering.  

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That freshman is still there. Martin was never really all that impressive to me.

Asa was probably as close a clone to KJ as you would have seen. He needed a year of S&C to get ready. He will transfer and become a starter somewhere for a P5 team and probably play pro in a few years. You truly under-estimate his talent because Gus failed to use him correctly. In P5 you really don’t want to be running freshman RBs. Remember BW is a redshirt freshman. Also you saw we really weren’t able to run Worm a lot early either. Asa would have taken his redshirt and stayed he left because it was quite apparent Gus looks out for no one but himself.

1 minute ago, Farmer Brown said:

Yeah, and that "freshman" was underutilized by this idiot. Who knows what Asa's talent level was? He must have impressed someone, to be given a scholarship from Auburn.

Look, I’m just saying he was nothing special to my eye. 

Being given a scholarships doesnt mean jack though. Tyler Carr was given a scholarship. We gave a scholarship to Tyler Queen over Lamar Jackson. 

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It is right before the early signing period so he has more options ahead of him.  It’s smart on his end.  But it does make wonder if he does sign in the early signing period if there was tampering.  

Domino=Auburn program, not ESP/NSD in my metaphor...pouring, not raining on the Plains. Just looking forward to actual hope again, without having to manufacture a silver lining. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

In P5 you really don’t want to be running freshman RBs. Remember BW is a redshirt freshman. Also you saw we really weren’t able to run Worm a lot early either. Asa would have taken his redshirt and stayed he left because it was quite apparent Gus looks out for no one but himself.

I agree it would’ve been ideal to redshirt him.      

Asa Martin was very deep down the depth chart for a reason, and it wasn't attitude or rules violations (at least not that I've heard).

Someone posted on this forum last night that during the Liberty game, his body looked a bit "light" (build-wise and strength-wise) for SEC football.  IDK.

But I don't think it's a big loss.  Just my opinion.

Boobie, Worm, Malik, Kmart, Joiner argue about lack of depth.  Asa showed the least of these 5.  Kmart and Malik only upper classmen I believe.  Bring in some one or two guys this class and get a decent Oline up front and we’re running all over people.

So now Asa is leaving, and out current RB recruiting is a void. I see this entire situation caused by crappy coaching and idiodiic administration resulting in a huge cow patty on the plains. Thanks Leath and Malzahn for your incredible incompetence. 

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Martin was way behind on the depth chart.  In this day and age that is cause for a transfer for his best interest.  This will happen to every program.  If you guys are referencing Saban saying this would never happen to him, it did.  Recently two guys come to mind: Corey Grant and Alvin Kamara.

This is so off the mark. Those guys transferred because they were stuck behind future heisman winners and nfl running backs. AM wanted to redshirt this year and got screwed by the idiots on the coaching staff. 

41 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm just waiting for the things like "he was lazy," "we didn't need him," "he was in over his head," "he had attitude problems," "he wasn't that good," or "he never transitioned to the college game." Like everyone likes saying about everyone who transfers out. 

Go to the FB forums....you'll see those exact statements in the AU groups. The one i'm seeing the most in the last week is that the players are scared to "compete" that's why they didn't choose AU or transferring. Many are making those comments about Kelly Bryant and now Asa. I'm like REALLY?!! These guys have competed their entire lives and Asa is transferring b/c he was scared to compete or complaining about playing time? WTH? So let's just forget the major fact that our staff can't count to 4 and blew his redshirt? SMH. 

I wish AU could get as many good players as possible but i don't blame players like KB not coming to AU and guys like NCM and Asa transferring b/c if i'm looking at it without my love for AU football....they made the right decision. From his mother's comments, it appears as though they would've been fine with Asa redshirting. It's the fact the staff blew his redshirt and then try to act like he was going to be utilized to make it right and he wasn't. I don't blame the young man b/c he's likely not going to be used much this season and we'll likely be firing Gus and then his 3rd season would be in question depending on the new coach and system.  

24 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Asa Martin was very deep down the depth chart for a reason, and it wasn't attitude or rules violations (at least not that I've heard).

Someone posted on this forum last night that during the Liberty game, his body looked a bit "light" (build-wise and strength-wise) for SEC football.  IDK.

Remember he came from a smaller school that probably lacked a great S&C program. But have no doubt he has the ability you will see it in a few years somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Go to the FB forums....you'll see those exact statements in the AU groups. The one i'm seeing the most in the last week is that the players are scared to "compete" that's why they didn't choose AU or transferring. Many are making those comments about Kelly Bryant and now Asa. I'm like REALLY?!! These guys have competed their entire lives and Asa is transferring b/c he was scared to compete or complaining about playing time? WTH? So let's just forget the major fact that our staff can't count to 4 and blew his redshirt? SMH. 

I wish AU could get as many good players as possible but i don't blame players like KB not coming to AU and guys like NCM and Asa transferring b/c if i'm looking at it without my love for AU football....they made the right decision. From his mother's comments, it appears as though they would've been fine with Asa redshirting. It's the fact the staff blew his redshirt and then try to act like he was going to be utilized to make it right and he wasn't. I don't blame the young man b/c he's likely not going to be used much this season and we'll likely be firing Gus and then his 3rd season would be in question depending on the new coach and system.  

As with any fanbase this holds true, but there are some...deviated from reality...Auburn fans. The system we have had in place since ~2011 has put very few QBs, offensive linemen, WRs, TEs, linebackers (starting to improve) or DBs into successful situations for the league, the main goal for any good recruit. And yet, we still get more than a few good recruits from those positions. I don’t know if we should be entitled to be graced with any star commitment under Gus, and as of late, even the RB position has come under fire due to the management of backups. If you aren’t starting, you might as well not be on the roster until someone gets hurt

23 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Could be wrong but that doesn't seem like the issue. We all know he needed to add more weight. The issue of the redshirt debacle and the future of our football program appears to be the main reasons he's chosen to leave.  His parents were not pleased our staff couldn't count to 4 as his mother stated so. I don't blame her b/c she was hurt that the staff wasn't looking out for him.  1. We botched his redshirt 2. He likely wasn't going to have a larger role next year and our season is in question of even being a bowl team next year. 3. So if Gus gets fired next year and he doesn't get to play much that means that his 3rd year....he's going to have a new coach and possibly a different system not knowing if he'll play an important role on the team. Yeah...i'd think about transferring too.

38 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Being given a scholarships doesnt mean jack though. Tyler Carr was given a scholarship. We gave a scholarship to Tyler Queen over Lamar Jackson. 

I mean how can you see something out of him when he doesn't really get a chance to play? I watched him, kj  and Miller playalot of games. In and asa were far better than Miller and you could hardly make a call as to who's better him or kj. We just screwed up with him. It is what it is

11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Remember he came from a smaller school that probably lacked a great S&C program. But have no doubt he has the ability you will see it in a few years somewhere else.

Austin isn't a small school. KJ came from a small school

36 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

This is what we say alot then we get the hell beat out of us by Georgia or bammer or wherever they go to, meanwhile it seems like it doesn't matter but in a year or two we'll be complaining about not having depth. That's exactly what happened to us in the secondary

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I mean how can you see something out of him when he doesn't really get a chance to play? I watched him, kj  and Miller playalot of games. In and asa were far better than Miller and you could hardly make a call as to who's better him or kj. We just screwed up with him. It is what it is

I agree he’s a lot better than Miller. KJ? Naw.

40 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

You mean "30 minutes or it's free"? I fail to see the relevance here.

How on earth? The. Wonderful. Timing. Of. Each. Event. Of. This. Season. Aren't you tired of not having to wait for the next domino to fall in this chain reaction? How much more? (Don't answer that.) 

46 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The Lamar Jackson thing blows my mind 

Auburn has had six players transfer since the start of the season. They probably question the idiocy of this program right now, and want to play where there is normalcy. I might have missed another.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree he’s a lot better than Miller. KJ? Naw.

In high school when you compare them it's hard to say because they were so close in talent. If in is an NFL player, starter on top of that you can't tell me as a wasn't good enough to play for this team

Archived