2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

26 minutes ago, Zeek said:

So, back on topic, @ellitor, @WarDamnEagleWDE, @corchjay, and any others in the know I hate to bother you but I think this could be a nice time to summarize where we're currently at and where we're looking to go with this class.

Currently Committed:

1. Owen Pappoe / 5* / OLB
    • Where do we see him playing for us? Mike/Sam/Will? I don't believe he is a buck option.
  2. George Pickens / 4* / WR
    • Do we feel comfortable that we'll keep him and if so are his grades still an issue? I think that I read on here that he has them under control.
  3. Bo Nix / 4* / QB
    • Do you guys think he'll finish with a 5th star?
  4. Zion Puckett / 4* / ATH
    • What position do we project him to play?
  5. Jaren Handy / 4* / DE
    • Buck or DE?
  6. Keiondre Jones / 4* / OG
    • Is Florida someone we should worry about here?
  7. Jashawn Sheffield / 4* / ATH
    • What position?
  8. Cam'Ron Kelly / 4* / ATH
    • What position?
  9. Jaylin Simpson / 4* / ATH
    • What position?
  10. Tyler Fromm / 4* / TE
    • Tight End like Chandler Cox or like Sal Cannella?
  11. Justin Osborne / 3* / OT
    • True tackle or likely to be moved inside?
  12. Luke Deal / 3* / TE
    • Same question about Fromm regarding how they'll be used.
  13. Colby Wooden / 3* / DE
    • DE or Buck?
  14. Jamond Gordon / 3* / DE
    • Buck or DE?
  15. Ja'Varrius Johnson / 3* / WR
    • Viewed as a Ryan Davis replacement? Any chance he moves up in the 4* range?

Finally some FAQs:

• How many more are we likely to take? I know we don't have a view of the board and things can be shaken up but what's a rough estimate.
  • Who are our flip targets that we actually have a chance with?
  • Is there anyone currently committed that's likely to flip?
  • Any JuCo or Grad Transfers to keep an eye on right now?

I know most of the above has been answered before or in other threads but it might help if we have them all answered in one spot!

QB- Done // RB - looks like we're taking 1 // WR - Done unless Haselwood or Curry I believe? // TE - Done // OL - work in progress 2-3 more? // K - none // P - none // DL - 1 to 2 more? // LB - 2 to 3 more? // Secondary - I take it all of our ATH commits are filling secondary spots so I can't imagine us taking but maybe 1 more? 

Will the response to this post be available in hardcover or paperback?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, aubcali said:

Will the response to this post be available in hardcover or paperback?

e-book: $2.99

paperback: $5.50

Hardcover: $15.99 (it has a cool hologram effect on the cover with an autograph from all the contributors)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

How many more are we likely to take? I know we don't have a view of the board and things can be shaken up but what's a rough estimate.

Could have sworn the answer is in the OP. A full class of 25 when you count GTs & Handy Holly going on scholly next year.

Who are our flip targets that we actually have a chance with?

Been covered ad nauseum in the flip thread: DT Ladarrius Cox, LB Tyron Hopper, & WR Jadon Haselwood (although not good with him).

Is there anyone currently committed that's likely to flip?

No.

Any JuCo or Grad Transfers to keep an eye on right now?

Other than the Juco CB committed to LSU & the juco LB committed to the Vols AU is not interested in the juco market for this class as of now. Grad transfer pool will not be known to us in the public til after the season is over & between the months of January & May.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Zeek said:

DL - 1 to 2 more? // LB - 2 to 3 more?

2 more & 1 to 2 more respectively. No realistic scenario right now where we would take 3 more LB.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

^^^Mikey

Yup, I don't blame him either!

Anyone on here have four years of eligibility left to play LB? I'd commit in a heartbeat but I'm a little too short for the position and I'd hate to bash myself in the game thread... Although I think I could come pretty close to Jake Holland's level of performance with a good weight program and free tuition to finish up my graduate work... I kid I kid

Too bad Golf used all of his eligibility...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We're pretty stacked at LB, especially since we play two 90% of the time.  

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

McBryde (JR, likely a (medical) redshirt this season so 2 yrs of eligibility remaining)
Britt (SO)
Wooten (SO)
Harris (FR)
McClain (FR)
Marsh (FR)

Pappoe (2019)

All those guys for 2 LB spots and, as Bird said, the occasional OLB spot that Atkinson specializes at. That's if we don't sign anyone but Pappoe. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We will lose most of the DL and DBs this year. 

:(

This is why one or two of our OLs playing far beyond our expectations would be an absolute dream. Window shuts for at least a season or two after this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

We will lose most of the DL and DBs this year. 

5 DL, 3 LBs, 2-3 DBs, QB, and a stud punt returner.

Getting experience for the youth has never been more important. I can see 2019-20 being rough.

• Like 2

You are absolutely correct we will lose the four DL's that started against UW but which DB other than Dean will we lose this year? JDavis is a Jr., he is not leaving. DT is a Jr., he is not leaving. JDinson is a Jr., he is not leaving. NI is a So., he is not leaving. Smoke is a FR., he is not nor is FR., J. Sherwood leaving. JPeters and JMyers are So., they are not leaving and CTutt is a Fr., and he is not leaving. We are bringing in a redshirt So. in Handy-Holly that will have 3 to play 3 so he will be there to add depth at safety. Looks to me like the secondary is loaded and with the committs we have now they only add to that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

All three starters graduate (Davis, Williams, Ackinson). Reports are that McBryde is likely through with football permanently. (neck injury)

Now look:
Britt (SO)
Wooten (SO)
Harris (FR)
McClain (FR)
Marsh (FR)

Pappoe (2019)

That leaves us with little experience and an handful of nothin' but dreams. I don't think we'll try to sign three more LB this cycle. There simply aren't three SEC quality LB's left that might be available to us. We are edging closer and closer to the disastrous situation that were were in for several years before Muschamp fixed it with five in one class..

I don't pay too much attention to the goings on in Tuskaloser, but someone posted a while back that Saban had 13 LB's on scholarship. I don't like the guy but he knows defense and roster management.

If we don't add another LB then next year we are looking at five returners, none of them a starter and one signee. Recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

What DBs are we losing this year? Davis, Dinson, and Dean are all Juniors, right? I think the entire secondary comes back. We lose a big chunk of the DL (assuming Brown and at least one of Davidson/Coe go pro) and lose the starting LB group.

Call me crazy, but I trust Rotney to churn out a quality DL each year. Truesdell, Newkirk, Jackson, and Miller all have talent at DT.

That LB group is going to lack experience, but they're going to be crazy athletic with McClain and Wooten in there and Pappoe joining the fray.

On recruiting, at LB, I'll be surprised if we give up on the Marshall kid at UGA or the Hopper kid at UF. Grabbing either of those guys would be a big deal.

@Mikey, Saban's roster management isn't noteworthy for us. They play a true 3-4 defense. We are almost a 4-2-5 base. We would be ridiculous to organize our roster in a similar fashion to a team that runs an entirely different system.

We're going to be low on experience. Nothing we do in this class will change that, but if we sign three LBs, that's 8 LBs for, essentially, two spots. That is plenty of depth at the position. I get your concern/question about whether we actually have talent at the position, but signing 7 LBs in this class won't help answer that question.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

That LB group is going to lack experience, but they're going to be crazy athletic with McClain and Wooten in there and Pappoe joining the fray

Let one get hurt and another one encounter some difficulty or just decide to transfer and we'll be in the soup. The position is the key to a great defense. LB is too important to skate on the edge with numbers.

I mean, same deal this year, right? If we sign three and have three leave, we're in the same position in terms of depth. I'd say we have good depth right now and will again next year.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I get your concern/question about whether we actually have talent at the position, but signing 7 LBs in this class won't help answer that question.

Yes, it's too late to fix everything at once with this class of signees. We agree on that. What concerns me is signing so few this year that we will continue to backslide at the position instead of trying to maintain.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think three is "so few" given our base defense. It would be no different than signing three Safeties when you already have 5-6 on the roster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I'd say we have good depth right now and will again next year.

We're losing four, assuming McBryde is done. There aren't four replacements coming in.

PS: I hear talk of  "two in our base defense" but Davis, Williams and Atkinson are out there making plays together a bunch of the time.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

What DBs are we losing this year? Davis, Dinson, and Dean are all Juniors, right? I

Yes but at least 1 if not 2 are expected to turn pro after this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

E, who other than JDean would be in a position to go pro this year from the secondary? Only other possibility is JDavis and i just dont see him being in that high of demand by the league.

28 minutes ago, auol72 said:

E, who other than JDean would be in a position to go pro this year from the secondary? Only other possibility is JDavis and i just dont see him being in that high of demand by the league.

He's the other one I've heard of if he has a great season.