confrontation with reality

doverstutts

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Right won 10 or more games 9 of 15 years at UGA. I would love for us to have that kind of consistency. 

I was just thinking the same thing

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m pretty sure Dilly is capable of doing that. Gus needs to let him. 

Just out of curiosity, what makes you "pretty sure" Dilly Dilly will be that guy? 

It's not like he has a history of doing anything good or bad really... Just curious.

35 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I’m not even that infatuated with Kirby Smart yet.  I still don’t think he has done much.  All of this players are transferring out or getting kicked out at embarrassing rates.  Worse than Richt.  I wonder if that catches up to him in recruiting.  

I think what we saw at GA was initial giddiness, GA HS players wanting to stay in-state, and everyone being sold on GA becoming bammer.  Kirby Smart is expected to deliver just like the nickster but he doesn't have the infrastructure that the REC provides. No other university has anything even close to it. And now he has the powerhouse that Clemson has become, in addition to Auburn, in his neighborhood recruiting. Unless he delivers pretty soon things won't look so good for him.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If Dabo and Riley played our schedule every year, what would their record be?  I’m sure they would have success, but not 12 win a year success. 

Probably not but either of those two would probably have found a way to coach AU to victory in the 2017 SECCG.

42 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Just out of curiosity, what makes you "pretty sure" Dilly Dilly will be that guy? 

It's not like he has a history of doing anything good or bad really... Just curious.

He had a big role with the Memphis offense.  That offense is known for stretching the field. And Norvell is known for that as well. When Gus hired him he said he hoped to bring over some of their offense. And if Dilly is not ready to do that, what is Gus’s rationale for hiring him?

2 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Probably not but either of those two would probably have found a way to coach AU to victory in the 2017 SECCG.

I'm not so sure about that. Given the injuries and schedule Auburn had in that last stretch.....I doubt it.

23 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I think what we saw at GA was initial giddiness, GA HS players wanting to stay in-state, and everyone being sold on GA becoming bammer.  Kirby Smart is expected to deliver just like the nickster but he doesn't have the infrastructure that the REC provides. No other university has anything even close to it. And now he has the powerhouse that Clemson has become, in addition to Auburn, in his neighborhood recruiting. Unless he delivers pretty soon things won't look so good for him.

He’s in the process of delivering his third straight 11+ win season, and almost a lock for his third straight trip to Atlanta. And he has multiple 5 stars in backup roles. He’s set up for a very dominant run. As long as we can’t consistently beat him (we haven’t had a good run the last 15 years against them) his path is even easier. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

He had a big role with the Memphis offense.  That offense is known for stretching the field. And Norvell is known for that as well. When Gus hired him he said he hoped to bring over some of their offense. And if Dilly is not ready to do that, what is Gus’s rationale for hiring him?

That's a good question. One I ask myself to this day. 

Dilly Dilly is 2 years removed from being a graduate assistant. He may have all the skill in the world and be a head coach at a major school before he is 35. Right now though, he is an OC in name alone who is 2 years removed from being a graduate assistant. 

There is just no way to know either way about Dilly Dilly right now.

I actually thought you may have seen something or known something that not everyone else knew. I mean my dad is great friends with David Cutcliffs brother Paige. So people know people sometimes. I thought you may have had some inside track into the whole situation.

Also him having a "big role" is a relative term. When Chip Kelly was the head coach at Oregon, Mark Helfrich had a "big role" in the offense. That "big role" was holding a clip board. There is only so much of an impact someone with literally zero experience can make. Like I said Dilly Dilly may turn out to be Sean McVay type coach...or he could not. There simply isn't enough to go by yet. 

How much experience did young Briles have when some folks from AU were just insisting that Auburn was making a big mistake by not hiring him......and JMO but likely all he did was hold daddy's clipboard at Baylor too.    JMO but Gus will find the role for him that he wants him to have.....

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Gus will get us a Natty before Bo leaves.  Bank on it.

I said the same thing about Kody Burns. I was right he was just at wr.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I’m not even that infatuated with Kirby Smart yet.  I still don’t think he has done much.  All of this players are transferring out or getting kicked out at embarrassing rates.  Worse than Richt.  I wonder if that catches up to him in recruiting.  

Got them to a National Championship which isn't anything to overlook, but now that they did that, it won't be enough. Especially playing in the very weak SEC east. My big question mark is Jimbo. Wasn't impressed with how he left FSU and honestly wasn't impressed with his opening with the Aggies (although he gets a mulligan since it was his first year). Definitely interesting to see what he does this year for the money he is getting paid.

Okay, y'all are just freaking me out! Talking nice about Gus??? Am I in the Twilight Zone???

No, really, I have been a Gus fan, even while being highly frustrated with him. Sometimes, highly intelligent people let their intelligence get in their way. I feel like he's growing in the HC role and he's learning to take a hard look at himself and his coaching. Hopefully, we will see more consistency and be able to trust him more. I love his high character and the high character of the guys on our team right now. I feel like this is going to be a special year. I hope I am right.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

He’s in the process of delivering his third straight 11+ win season, and almost a lock for his third straight trip to Atlanta. And he has multiple 5 stars in backup roles. He’s set up for a very dominant run. As long as we can’t consistently beat him (we haven’t had a good run the last 15 years against them) his path is even easier. 

I'm not crowning him nickster's prince just yet. I'm sitting back and watching what happens. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

This distribution of talent among colleges now is very one sided....a few teams are gathering up the cream of the crop and the other top teams getting a few top player but not enough to turn out truly good teams.   Distance from top of DIV 1 to even the middle has gotten to be a problem.....the teams in the middle of the SEC are no better than some of the better than the lower Div 1 conferences.   SEC east is pathetic and several in the west are barely better. …and ACC is the same with most of the league barely competitive with Clemson. 

Schools can hire the coaches but turning the corner against bama, Clemson and a handful of powerhouses is a tough process....schools all over the place are finding themselves worse off when they make coaching changes. 

Money talks. We aren't hiring all the five star players, and probably aren't giving our guys all the best *meds*, so the road will remain bumpy.

@doverstutts I'm ok with the guy, I just keep bi+chi√g for him to break from our jv offensive tendencies.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If you describe what the mad pirate has done in Pullman Washington as "reasonably well" you are completely clueless to what was Washington State football. 

Leach took Wazzu from being what Tennessee is viewed as today to a top10ish program. 

Also though, they could of had Greg Schiano. Bet those Twitter warriors feel STUPID right now. 

My comment was meant to be a jab at UTk’s ineptitude. Yes, count me clueless as to WSU’s historical standing,

26 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Money talks. We aren't hiring all the five star players, and probably aren't giving our guys all the best *meds*, so the road will remain bumpy.

@doverstutts I'm ok with the guy, I just keep bi+chi√g for him to break from our jv offensive tendencies.

Money indeed tslks and I think a lot of it is from the NFL along with the media jocks who promote bama and Clemson and a couple other major schools. One of them mentioned on Saturday night that if he was a high school quarterback he would be going to Clemson. I think that kind of stuff carries weight with 17 and 18 year olds.

Quite a few more prestigious programs got it worse than us. A USC that had the god gifted chance to run the West with Kelly leaving Oregon, UCLA falling off into a cliff, and Washington being basically the only threat...and they havent even been able to get close to the playoffs. UT hasnt found rock bottom and only has two worthwhile wins in the past 3 years, including the remainder of this season.  FSU went from two straight titles/playoffs to begging to make a bowl and falling to just about USF in the state. If we could just avoid losing to piss poor Mississippi schools and f..... Tennessees, I dont even think this would need to be a debate

now if the argument was "does it suck being right above horrible and right below the playoffs"...different discussion 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Money indeed tslks and I think a lot of it is from the NFL along with the media jocks who promote bama and Clemson and a couple other major schools. One of them mentioned on Saturday night that if he was a high school quarterback he would be going to Clemson. I think that kind of stuff carries weight with 17 and 18 year olds.

Clemson is working the media and the recruiting circuits, they've just made sure to establish their reputation as being lowkey, homely, and I dont mean to make this about religion or anything, but they've used certain buzz words to explain their success that you might notice next time you listen to a Dabo interview. This combination of things makes it hard to call them out, because they move so smooth, but I've heard quite a few rumblings that there's rampant dirty money. 

And I dont care about any of this personally, it's just a damn shame that a program that has less money than us has been able to do what they've done. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Like it or not he is probably a top 10 coach and is paid in the range of other guys like him.   JMO but our next coach will cost as much as Gus and come in with a good resume at some lower level school and no record of success against the top 10 opponents that AU faces just about every week.  

If you are watching the money or worried about his salary, you are not worried about the right things. JMO  Michigan should  be worried about how much Harbaugh is getting paid to beat Ohio State ...which he is yet to do.    ..and I think Gus is the only current SEC coach out of 12 who has beaten bama and Georgia. Not beating teams we should beat ….now that's worth griping about ….but expecting to dominate Uga or bama  is unrealistic IMO. 

I’m just not so sure he’s a top 10 coach is the thing nor is his pay. Now,  I like the guy and am not advocating we replace him, but I’m not sure that his record here equates the $$ and I know his record against our main rivals doesn’t equate to it. Also, I’m pretty sure no reasonable AU person expects him to dominate UAT or bammer, but a 2-5 record against UGA and a 2-4 record against UAT is worthy of debate for that kinda money being paid out commensurate with his results. 

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m just not so sure he’s a top 10 coach is the thing nor is his pay. Now,  I like the guy and am not advocating we replace him, but I’m not sure that his record here equates the $$ and I know his record against our main rivals doesn’t equate to it. Also, I’m pretty sure no reasonable AU person expects him to dominate UAT or bammer, but a 2-5 record against UGA and a 2-4 record against UAT is worthy of debate for that kinda money being paid out commensurate with his results. 

Could be he's overpaid but as noted he is the only active coach in the SEC to beat either of those teams and there are other coaches making as much money or nearly as much as Gus. Coaching salaries are ridiculous and as  suggested our next coach will get more than Gus and probably will have a lesser resume.

6 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Actually saying 2-4 against UA out loud makes it sound a lil bit worse. Now if you contextualize it and realize we lost the 2014 game which shoulda been an easy win if his red zone play sheet wasn't kids league...maybe it sounds a little bit worse. But that 2015 offense was...very untalented. The 2016 team lost their only QB that could throw a football. His UGA and LSU records are alot worse than the UA one

5 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

I don't think that is 100% correct. When CGM got us to the NC game in his second year I think the expectations went through the roof! I think many fans thought that would be the norm every year but with the conference we play in, the injures we've had at inopportune times and the coaching mistakes it hasn't panned out and people think CGM is a failure. I have high expectations for Auburn football (10 or more wins per season is what I would expect) but, for me, as long as these kids he coaches would got through a brick wall for him he has my support. War Eagle

I for one don’t think he’s a failure by any means, I simply think we’ve over paid for the results we’ve gotten from him. Simple as that. I like Gus and he has my full support as well. WDE. 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Actually saying 2-4 against UA out loud makes it sound a lil bit worse. Now if you contextualize it and realize we lost the 2014 game which shoulda been an easy win if his red zone play sheet wasn't kids league...maybe it sounds a little bit worse. But that 2015 offense was...very untalented. The 2016 team lost their only QB that could throw a football. His UGA and LSU records are alot worse than the UA one

We could have won in ‘14 for sure- we could have also lost ‘13 just as well. Kinda cancel each other out. Either way the record is what it is. I wasn’t even gonna bring LSU up because it really starts to make the ROI look bad when that factors in and that’s not my intention. I like Gus a lot, just not his contract. 

Archived