Did the Oline have a strong day today?

shabby

i mean they sure seemed to open up some holes and protect during passes. Texas A&M has a strong Dline that was stacking the box too. Here's hoping for continued development 

I think more that having a good day or bad day is the fact that they were put in situations that they could have success.  They weren't asked to run IZ against a Tite front with double A blitzes. They did enough most of the time to be successful in the positions they were asked to be in. Gus' play calling was what helped them the most In this game.

Yes they were improved. Need to keep improving from 1 game to the next before we get real excited about them. But give them props tonight.

Yes, our OL played much better and it was against a good TAMU DL. Play calling and QB runs helped our OL too, just as they should. Keep it up guys and keep improving.

Strong day? Not imo. They were certainly better than they’ve been and had their moment's to be sure. As several others have said, the play calling was much better and I think that was really the difference. 

Using outside speed and having the QB keep it on occasion makes a world of difference for the o line.  Makes it nearly impossible for the other team to stack the box and the line can win more battles.

The last TD drive was pure Gus and the OL did a great job creating some openings for Boobee to eat up clock and get the 7 points.

I think the OL played better but I think it might be because they were finally playing a team that didn't blitz all of the time. That allowed them to execute their assignments and not have to worry about picking up the blitz and blocking their guy. That AS touchdown was a thing of beauty. 

11 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Gus helped them tremendously with a brilliantly called game.

This. Surprisingly lol.

Coaches did a good job of using scheme to spread things out and help them. But they did have their best game against probably the best D line they’ve played so far. Nice job by Kim on the second level. 

Just to compare: 

Clemson- 121 rushing yards. 3.7 YPC (most were garbage time/trying to run the clock out yards) 

Auburn- 193 rushing yards. 4.6 YPC 

Ours might be skewed a tad from the misdirection plays but I thought overall it was their best game of the season against a good Aggie front 

I have been very critical of the OL for the last couple of years.  But they did a good job against TAMU.  I'm seeing a lot of people give the credit to the play calling.  The play calling was good and put them in a position to succeed.  But at the end of the day, it's the guys wearing the jock straps and knee braces that have to execute those plays.    

Good job guys.

You've proven you can get the job done.  But.... now you have to do it again... and again... and again all the way to the end of the season.  Make me and people like me pay for all our relentless criticism.  Rub our faces in it!

On 9/21/2019 at 10:35 PM, NoALtiger said:

Strong day? Not imo. They were certainly better than they’ve been and had their moment's to be sure. As several others have said, the play calling was much better and I think that was really the difference. 

I agree.  If you look at our running backs ypc Whitlow led the pack with 3.7 yards per carry which is not sterling.  Need to significantly increase that performance among our backs.

Playcalling was better I wouldn't call it much better.  As I have said earlier he needed get our running backs outside the tackle box one on one with linebackers. Gus did that well with the quick pitch to the back.  However as soon as gus go the linebackers thinking about the quick pitch he should have busted the running back back inside the tackle box trying to catch the linebackers playing the outside pitch.  But that continues to be gus's problem he runs plays adhoc instead of using plays to set up other plays.  Outside of two long drives, there were a lot of 3 and outstanding and we only totaled 306 yards of total offense.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:59 PM, Tigger1985 said:

Our guards need to do better. Let's hope they get better.

Harrel did really well it was Horton that had some issues at times. He also did well at times.

22 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I agree.  If you look at our running backs ypc Whitlow led the pack with 3.7 yards per carry which is not sterling.  Need to significantly increase that performance among our backs.

Playcalling was better I wouldn't call it much better.  As I have said earlier he needed get our running backs outside the tackle box one on one with linebackers. Gus did that well with the quick pitch to the back.  However as soon as gus go the linebackers thinking about the quick pitch he should have busted the running back back inside the tackle box trying to catch the linebackers playing the outside pitch.  But that continues to be gus's problem he runs plays adhoc instead of using plays to set up other plays.  Outside of two long drives, there were a lot of 3 and outstanding and we only totaled 306 yards of total offense.

Part of the three and outs is when Gus caught A&M and had open deep balls that were overthrown. When you miss on a deep ball you put the O behind the proverbial 8 ball. Hit one of them and you add 60 yards to your O and open up more running lanes hit two and you have had a pretty good offensive day..

Remember A&M held Clemson to 24 points and that is a darn good offensive team. We scored 28 .  Also when A&M played Clemson Mond was off some was the A&m D but a lot was just on Mond. If A&M hits a few passes Clemson gets the ball fewer times and may not even score 24. We also got a lot of yards from our wide receivers that does count as runs. 

I think there is to much Monday morning quarterbacking going on. You are assuming if he had busted the play back inside it would be a big gain when you bust back inside you have to deal with D-line in addition to Linebackers.

On the last td drive, either the td run or another boobie run up the middle, three second and third level players in the middle of the defense were leaning left towards Bo who faked the keeper. They are not keying on the rb. This makes a huge difference. I think it will continue to get better. O line held up nicely. I don’t think they are a “team strength “ but viable. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

On the last td drive, either the td run or another boobie run up the middle, three second and third level players in the middle of the defense were leaning left towards Bo who faked the keeper. They are not keying on the rb. This makes a huge difference. I think it will continue to get better. O line held up nicely. I don’t think they are a “team strength “ but viable. 

Agree.........better than last year for sure.

Archived