Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

35 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Y’all need to quit confusing mikey with facts 😂

Being confused requires an attempt to understand. 

Dude is bulletproof. I'll give him that. 

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Kiffin is the better Offensive Coordinator

Gus the better head coach.

If Gus hired Kiffin as OC and let him do his thing we dominate the SEC.

Maybe as things stand now, but that "if" at the end is exactly why Gus isn't a good enough head coach and why Kiffin could very well end up being a better one. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

First seasons don't count. You said that.

Are you too dense to recognize sarcasm when it's apparent or are you simply playing your old, tired game of acting like you don't understand something that's obvious?

For the record, I've always said that the "Bowden did it with Dye's players" stuff was bogus. Some other Auburn fans that hate Bowden or love Dye enough to deny facts use that as a crutch, invalid as it may be

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Gus' career record against SEC opponents:

31-22 = 0.584

LK's career record against C-USA opponents:

14-6 = 0.700

Gus's career strength of schedule 5.37. Kiffin's, 2.62. Kiffin's strength of schedule at FAU is a negative number. Sadly for you, Gus wins again.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Are you too dense to recognize sarcasm when it's apparent or are you simply playing your old, tired game of acting like you don't understand something that's obvious?

Image result for ironic gif

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Gus's career strength of schedule 5.37. Kiffin's, 2.62. Kiffin's strength of schedule at FAU is a negative number. Sadly for you, Gus wins again.

We're not talking about strength of schedule. You can't change who is in your conference. Also, we're not talking about LK's entire coaching career, just the last 3 at FAU.

His conference win % at FAU is better than Gus' at AU. You can't argue it's not. Is it easier competition? Yes. Is it with less talented players and more limited resources? Also yes. I'm not sure why your fighting so hard against that.

Gus at FAU would be about the same as LK. However, LK with Auburn's talent and resources would produce better offenses.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Gus at FAU would be about the same as LK. However, LK with Auburn's talent and resources would produce better offenses.

The only remote comparison would be Gus's one year at Arky State. His win% there was better than Kiffin's overall at FAU.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

The only remote comparison would be Gus's one year at Arky State. His win% there was better than Kiffin's overall at FAU.

Compare their first year's conference schedule then.

Gus: 7-1

Lane: 9-0

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Compare their first year's conference schedule then.

Gus: 7-1

Lane: 9-0

How deep is this cherry picking going to go? Will we next compare the first give games of their assistant coaching careers?

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We're not talking about strength of schedule.

Mikey's goalpost is loaded on the back of OU's Sooner Schooner. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How deep is this cherry picking going to go?

Wow. Drill literally one level down and you've lost him. 

Image result for sooner schooner crash gif

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

How deep is this cherry picking going to go? Will we next compare the first give games of their assistant coaching careers?

You just said the best comparison would be Gus at Ark St. I compared them and you call it cherry picking? Weird

In my opinion the difference in ability to coach isn’t even close. Hands down LK is a better offensive mind.   The only problem with LK is personality and behavior.   If those things got into check, I believe he most definitely would/should be in the running 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe as things stand now, but that "if" at the end is exactly why Gus isn't a good enough head coach and why Kiffin could very well end up being a better one. 

Agree.  Just imagine what Joe Brady could do with our offensive talent is what I have been thinking after watching LSU.  

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

In my opinion the difference in ability to coach isn’t even close. Hands down LK is a better offensive mind.   The only problem with LK is personality and behavior.   If those things got into check, I believe he most definitely would/should be in the running 

Which is exactly why I talked about him maturing. He was 33 at UTk...11 years and a few reality checks later would lend to the fact that he's not the same coach as he was at UTk.  

11 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

The only problem with LK is personality and behavior.

Exactly, I would consider him one of the very last people on the list.  Being a leader of men is more than just drawing X & Os. Although I imagine some people find humor in his twitter game. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Which is exactly why I talked about him maturing. He was 33 at UTk...11 years and a few reality checks later would lend to the fact that he's not the same coach as he was at UTk.  

Agree 100%.  I think he has learned from some of the best coaches that are in coaching at the moment.   And not just at the college level.  He brings a lot to the table in terms of knowledge gained from some of the best.  

I don’t think GM has that background.   

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And it bears repeating that the head coach of the current best team in the country worked for him at UT when he was 33. Along with a few other studs in the business. Imagine if he could bring Eddie Gran back here as his asst head coach/RB coach/recruiting coordinator. Not sure how they ended things or *if* they ended things, but the point is, like you said, there are variables in play here. 

All the stats are great to argue over, but I would like to have a coach that can adapt to situations during the game to take advantage of the opposing defense on the fly.  We have a coach that can out talent teams for an 8 win season, but has difficulty adjusting his game plan to get to the 9th win and beyond.  The more talented (or as talented) teams in our league can put up resistance that Gus has a hard time dealing with (the UF game is the most recent example).

I know this is a difficult task, but if you’re paying a coach the amount of money we are, it’s what is required.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:07 AM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Of the original list the only 2 that I would touch would be Fleck and Clark. I can tell you from a personal perspective that Bill Clark WOULD WIN. After being coached by and a carbon copy of his program under Grass, I can tell you that it'd be shell shock and rigorous making the switch to coach Clark. OTAs every AM of spring consisting of Mat Drills + Weight Lifting + Conditioning + Team Activities and in the summer..... Oh God. 

But it would breed a culture of guys who truly want to be there. Part of what shaped my physicality and body were his drills. One day we spent literally the whole morning we were supposed to be lifting and doing OTAs doing Up-Downs and Gassers because 3 people couldn't stay behind the line before the whistle was blown during stretch. That kind of old-school coaching paired with new school strategy can't be duplicated but by a few coaches.

My concern would be, what type of coordinators could he hire given his only experience as a head coach being at UAB? We dont have the most experienced O staff right now so i could see him matching or exceeding Gus on that side of the ball but still wondering what caliber OC and DC he could snag in your opinion. 

52 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

My concern would be, what type of coordinators could he hire given his only experience as a head coach being at UAB? We dont have the most experienced O staff right now so i could see him matching or exceeding Gus on that side of the ball but still wondering what caliber OC and DC he could snag in your opinion. 

You aren’t asking for my opinion but I don’t understand why people think because someone doesn’t have power 5 experience, they wouldn’t be able to snag quality coordinators. The fact that he is at Auburn would open doors to more qualified applicants in itself. I mean Dabo had no power 5 experience and he fired the previous DC and bought in Kevin Steel from Nick Saban. It totally can be done. However, I want the coach to bring in the staff that works and not just names. If he has a quality staff that works, he should keep that staff intact. That is how you build culture. Or he can pull an Urban Meyer and keep the coordinators. 

If history shows anything, the LSU, Georgia and Alabama games could get very ugly pretty fast. Also, we can't over look Ole Miss either.

Let's just be clear. AU has never, ever, hired a top tier coach, unless you count maybe Heisman back in the dark ages. Auburn hires coaches from FCS and lower ranked fbs schools. This is who Auburn hires. 

Dye - Wyoming.
Chizik - Iowa State.
Malzahm - Arky State.
Tuberville - Ole Miss.
Oliver - Chattanooga
Bowden - Samford
Barfield .......

So if you are thinking Myer, Stoops, or any other coach with FBS cred, just X that out. It ain't gonna happen.

We need to find a head coach that is the head of the program and is a great leader who knows who to hire as Coordinators and get out of their way.  He needs to hire some good recruiters on the staff but also have the balance of those that can coach.  I like Steele's defenses over the past couple of years and this part of the staff.  I think the OC should be able to run an offense that can change based on personnel.  The OC has to be able to shake it up when things aren't working and be able to add wrinkles week to week and utilize the personnel appropriately.  That is my biggest issue with Gus right now.  We aren't utilizing the strength of our players to the fullest.  I understand that he goes with what he has known but there is a huge problem when he gets stubborn (or seems like it).  I hate sitting on the ball as we don't do that well but when we pace we do well.  I don't really care who the new HC would be as long as he can do the above.  I really don't care if they were a former coordinator or not.  I just want a winner and not do anything to shame AU (i.e. keep hands off the help).

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You aren’t asking for my opinion but I don’t understand why people think because someone doesn’t have power 5 experience, they wouldn’t be able to snag quality coordinators. The fact that he is at Auburn would open doors to more qualified applicants in itself. I mean Dabo had no power 5 experience and he fired the previous DC and bought in Kevin Steel from Nick Saban. It totally can be done. However, I want the coach to bring in the staff that works and not just names. If he has a quality staff that works, he should keep that staff intact. That is how you build culture. 

I want to start this off by saying that I'm a fan of Clark. I'd like to see a tougher Auburn football team like I remember in the past and it seems Clark is the type of coach that could bring it back. Gus keeps talking about getting our edge back but he doesnt have an edge to his personality so I dont see him ever coaching it into his players. Im hopeful Clark could inject some more toughness to the team especially the Oline.

Also, I quoted malcolm_flex48 but welcome any and all feedback on the question I posed.

That all said, what do you think will happen to our current recruits if he brings his UAB staff over to replace our current staff? That would scare the hell out of me if he replaced our entire staff with his from UAB. He has got to get some big names or atleast keep most of our defensive staff intact for me to feel like he could be a real option. We can agree on the latter, or no?

Archived