All Things Isaac Okoro NBA Draft (Merged)

GwillMac6

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • ellitor changed the title to All Things Isaac Okoro NBA Draft (Merged)
2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Great post keep it up just wish bird would post like this

Was merging threads prunnuts.

Anywhere but Atlanta and the Knicks and I will be happy.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Throw Momma From The Train (1987) GIF | Gfycat

No room in the inn. Even Jesus had to deal with this as well! lmao. They drafted 2 wing guys in the top 10 last draft.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

No room in the inn. Even Jesus had to deal with this as well! lmao. They drafted 2 wing guys in the top 10 last draft.

Just now, ellitor said:

I like the Hawks too but they'd choke the talent out of him sadly.

Veruca Salt GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Anywhere but Atlanta and the Knicks and I will be happy.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29695731/nba-mock-draft-projected-picks-big-lottery-winners

ESPN projects him to the Knicks 🤢

35 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

No way he lasts till 8th. I think this is teams setting other teams up with false rumors.  I see Okoro going no lower than 6 to the Hawks...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

No way he lasts till 8th. I think this is teams setting other teams up with false rumors.  I see Okoro going no lower than 6 to the Hawks...

It’d be great for him to go top 5. To have first round picks, to include a top 5 in this years draft should Okoro go there, in consecutive drafts, would be incredible for our program. Pearl is the best thing to happen to AUburn sports in a very long time. 

The only players i see as for sure going ahead of Okoro are Edwards, Ball, and Wiseman. After that i think it'll just be what the teams are looking for and what they need. I was reading one draft column and it was interviewing a GM that was picking 4 and he said "at 4 you don't pick for need...you pick best talent". Which seemed really odd to me....and that strategy may be why he is picking so high lol. Maybe that is why you see teams like the Hawks and such that repeatedly pick the same position. I recall an NBA team recently who picked 2 PGs in the first round.......it was the year Fultz went so high. Anyway.....all that to say i don't claim to understand how the pro teams make their draft decisions so i don't know where he will go. 

I hope he goes somewhere he can be sucessful and i hope to hear a lot about Chuma and Okoro in the league next season. It has been WAAAAYYYY to long since i've watched an NBA game or ESPN bball highlights and said hey thats an AU guy!!! 

I enjoyed reading Okoros break down so i'll post it here. 

Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
- Has ideal physical tools for an NBA wing. Was one of the most impactful defenders in the college game and has All-NBA potential thanks to his excellent lateral quickness, high intensity level and sound technique. Was often tasked with shutting down the point of attack for Auburn, but has the size, strength, length and toughness to defend power forwards as well.
- Has plenty of room to grow offensively, but already shows enough flashes as a ball handler and passer to leave plenty of room for optimism. Attacks the rim with purpose and finishes well inside the paint, while also showing potential operating out of pick-and-roll. Has good court vision, can playmaker with either hand and generally shows a high basketball IQ.
- Lauded for his approach to the game. Impacts the game without scoring. Excellent rebounder. Plays a position and role that is extremely hard to find in today's NBA.

Improvement areas
- Is he a good enough overall scorer to warrant being a top-10 pick? His 16 points per 40 minutes is the lowest scoring rate of any college player currently projected in the top 20.
- Perimeter shooting struggles are especially concerning. Made just 29% of his 3s and 67% of his free throw attempts.
- Didn't come into college projected as a one-and-done lottery pick and could have benefited from showing his ability to impact winning in the SEC and NCAA tournaments.

Projected role: Versatile two-way role-player

A big Hawks fan here. Okoro would be a fantastic fit for Atlanta Hawks as I believe you cannot have too many 3 and D wings. Okoro is already polished defensively; once he gets his offensive game going--he could really break out. Fortunately, due to the system that Hawks employ with Trae Young, Okoro does not need to have the ball in his hands as often as he could. I think he'll be a good fit for Hawks supposing they pick him. 

IMO, he gets taken by either Bulls at 4 or Pistons at 7 due to defensive shortcomings both teams have.

I really like the way his projections have gone, from maybe being a lottery pick to maybe being a top 5 pick is pretty big. Before clicking on this thread today and seeing the recent traffic, I was thinking 8 or 9 was about as high as we could expect, but now coming in at maybe 4? That would be crazy.

On a side note, I wonder what might could happen with Coop and/or Thor this year, if we might have a first rounder in three straight NBA drafts. Would be kinda cool, though I think I'd rather skip a year and let Bruce work with the same stars for two straight years. And if that draft is supposed to be deeper, then maybe it'll happen.

Hawks are pretty much the only fun franchise to watch he's projected to go to from what I've seen. Alot of Chicagos, some Hawks, he's like that 3rd SF off the board yknow

im praying ATL, and I think that's very feasible if Obi Toppin is off the board by the time they get their shot

19 hours ago, Rednilla said:

On a side note, I wonder what might could happen with Coop and/or Thor this year, if we might have a first rounder in three straight NBA drafts.

@Rednilla Most connected to the program don't think they will develop enough to be 1 & done FWIW.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Rednilla Most connected to the program don't think they will develop enough to be 1 & done FWIW.

I knew that was the thought about Coop, and I suspected it to be the case with Thor, but how much did those connected to the program think Okoro would develop enough to go after one year in August in 2019? (I ask that as an honest question...I don't remember any buzz about that possibility, but it certainly could have been there.)

Idk about the program, but I know most of the HS pundits usually gave the same talking point, "If he develops enough on offense..." 

It's weird but I feel like JT would more of a "flight risk" in this scenario than Sharife. Sharife's build and defense isn't something that's going to be less of a problem now versus later. but JT has all the tools to be a pretty incredible player and a build that's been very attractive to the NBA recently. if those tools get put together now instead of later...

Archived