hopes for next couple of years?

homersapien

5 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

Not wishful thinking. Seth could have made that this year had he not missed basically two games - remember, he got hurt in the beginning of the Tulane game and then missed the next game vs Kent State, and still ended up with 830 yards.

LoL yes sir it is wishful thinking. 

We began playing football in 1892 and have had a grand total of 2 (TWO) 1,000 WRs in our ENTIRE HISTORY. And have not had a 1,000 yard WR since we last beat LSU at their place. Know when that was? I'll give you a hint... neither happened this century...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Carnell said:

Clemson appointed Dabo as interim coach in 2008.  He went 5-1 during the regular season with his only loss being FSU.  So Clemson had a view of his capabilities before removing the interim.  Hiring Cody or any other assistants would be hiring the unknown and for better or worse stuck with that person or forking out money for a buyout.

Yes but he was still a WR coach with zero HC experience....it worked out well in the end but nobody could imagine it working out as well as it did. They took a calculated risk that paid off well, I still think the masses would freak out if Auburn did something similar even if Kodi went 5-1 in an interim role only losing to Bama. Clemson also at the time was a school that could take that kinda risk without too much pushback from the fan base.

14 hours ago, Carnell said:

With the quarterback under center it would help our offensive line in run blocking schemes by allowing for cross blocking along the offensive line which the shot gun formation does not allow for.

1. Yeah, but which QB? The sophomore who has never run anything but a shotgun look? Cord Sandberg? Incoming freshman Chayil Garnett, who's a Nick Marshall-type?

2. Has no other shotgun team figured out run blocking? Or are you advocating it to cover up our specific weaknesses in it?

Either way, we laughed and laughed at Bret Bielema for trying to run that kind of offense with the wrong personnel. You guys have been doing a lot of complaining about non-disaster seasons...you're talking about a total offensive rebuild.You don't like 9-win seasons? It'd be years until you saw another one.

I would be all for a rebuild if that's what was needed. I feel like the "these players were recruited for this offense" thing is way overblown. Look at Tuberville. He was waaaaay ahead of the game in trying to open up the offense. Now almost everyone in the SEC is running "spread" (non-power I) concepts. (Tubs just didn't manage the change properly.) But our QB being in the shotgun isn't the problem IMO. Especially not with regards to the OL. They just haven't been very talented, and the predictable and unintelligent play calling hasn't helped, either.

15 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

No offense to anyone here who's said it...but why in the world do you want to see the QB back under center? What am I missing where that's going to solve any problems?

Everyone always moans about AU not developing QBs for the NFL, but even the NFL has got to the point where it's a 2:1 shotgun to under-center split on average.

Aside from that, how many of the best HS QBs in the country run an offense under center? Would make it harder to recruit, and you'd likely have to entirely retrain the QB anyway.

I guess it's a matter of what we try to run versus how we run it. The plays we run are pure power run. We don't throw the ball around. We don't have a quick strike passing attack. So we're asking under talented linemen to block for an inside running game starting with a 5 yard handicap. There is no 2:1 split. We run everything out of the shotgun formation...and our short yardage conversions show it. 

It may change nothing, but I've never been a fan. 

My hope is that Gus will do something, anything, other than have his offense run back to line of scrimmage after a first down, do a quick snap, and run a simple handoff up the middle.  HINT:  THEY KNOW WHATS COMING GUS!  IT A’INT WORKING ANYMORE!  DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

20 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I my best Gus voice " We're a run first play action team. We will have a good week of practice....we just got to execute batter. We're going to win championships. Auburn has a bright future."

Might I add: Our offense did not click today; that's on me. We will get better.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:49 AM, bigbird said:

My hopes are that...

Gus hands over the offense completely to Chad and assumes the role of CEO

Chad revolutionizes the offense from blocking schemes and passing game to player utilization and development.

Chad remains at Auburn and becomes Gus' Mickey Andrews or Bud Foster

Limited substitutions during drives

Utilize our backs in the same manner as LSU and Clemson do/did in the passing game

The emergence of a true passing threat from the TE/HB position.

Receivers running and executing every route not just "their" routes

Development of better route running and the ability to create better separation.

Our new OL coach develops/instills a sense of mean/nastiness that is good for a personal foul every once in a while for unnecessary roughness.

Bo to navigate and deliver from the pocket better

Better down field accuracy from Bo

Better play calling early to settle down any early game jitters

Limit inefficient, low-percentage deep passes on 3rd and short

Better commitment to staying ahead of schedule and getting 1st downs rather than trick plays for the hell of it to kill drives.

We develop an elite pass rusher

TWILL continues to develop and assume more responsibility

We play a little less man coverage

Develop and commitment to an intense, insatiable bad attitude of kicking the dog crap out of everyone lined up across from us at every position on every down.

What about a natty?

16 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

No offense to anyone here who's said it...but why in the world do you want to see the QB back under center? What am I missing where that's going to solve any problems?

Everyone always moans about AU not developing QBs for the NFL, but even the NFL has got to the point where it's a 2:1 shotgun to under-center split on average.

Aside from that, how many of the best HS QBs in the country run an offense under center? Would make it harder to recruit, and you'd likely have to entirely retrain the QB anyway.

I want to see the QB under center only inside the 5 yard line of the opponent. I hate the shotgun snap from the 1 yard or 1/2 yard line. The whole defense is within 2 yards of the ball to start with and you snap and hand off 5 more yards and give the d way too much time to make up the difference. You have to have perfect blocking to score at this point.

I would have 1 play for 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 or less: QB sneak and dare the other team to stop it.

4 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I want to see the QB under center only inside the 5 yard line of the opponent. I hate the shotgun snap from the 1 yard or 1/2 yard line. The whole defense is within 2 yards of the ball to start with and you snap and hand off 5 more yards and give the d way too much time to make up the difference. You have to have perfect blocking to score at this point.

I would have 1 play for 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 or less: QB sneak and dare the other team to stop it.

Every once in a while, I'd love to see us under center to run a sneak on 3rd and 1 or 2 instead of the inevitable 4 vert, under duress throw to a bracketed Seth...but that's just me.

Oh, what the heck.....LET'S GO FOR IT!!!

I want Emmert to be forced out of the NCAA kicking & screaming and his skeletons exposed so that Saban doesn't have the blackmail material to hold over him anymore.  Then, just for kicks & giggles, Emmert takes Saban down with him.

THEN, the next NCAA president happens to be somebody that Gus (or whoever the current AU coach would be) has compromising photos of and then AUBURN gets to enjoy the "success" that the evil empire enjoyed.....all the while watching bammer football receive the death penalty.

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Every once in a while, I'd love to see us under center to run a sneak on 3rd and 1 or 2 instead of the inevitable 4 vert, under duress throw to a bracketed Seth...but that's just me.

No, it's me too Bird. We run too many wildcats, muddle huddles, and like you said a quick pass to a covered receiver, when a simple QB sneak will get the job done.

Consistency.

Consistently great O-Line recruiting. Whether we stick with the Gus O or give Morris the reins the quality of the O is directly related to the quality of the O-line. I complain about the predictability of the Offense when Gus runs it but it does work when we have a dominant O-Line.

Consistently win 10 or more games every year.

Consistently have a top 10 defense - Defense still wins championships - In today's game it doesn't mean you win 14-7 but that your Defense stops the other team more that their defense stops you. 

Consistent Offense that can move the ball and score TD's in the Redzone. Settling for FG's in Redzone costs teams championships.

This year I saw some teams run a play while other teams defense was looking at coach's to get a signal. I would love to see Auburn do that a few times.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Oh, what the heck.....LET'S GO FOR IT!!!

I want Emmert to be forced out of the NCAA kicking & screaming and his skeletons exposed so that Saban doesn't have the blackmail material to hold over him anymore.  Then, just for kicks & giggles, Emmert takes Saban down with him.

THEN, the next NCAA president happens to be somebody that Gus (or whoever the current AU coach would be) has compromising photos of and then AUBURN gets to enjoy the "success" that the evil empire enjoyed.....all the while watching bammer football receive the death penalty.

See the source image

On 1/20/2020 at 12:49 AM, bigbird said:

My hopes are that...

Gus hands over the offense completely to Chad and assumes the role of CEO

Chad revolutionizes the offense from blocking schemes and passing game to player utilization and development.

Chad remains at Auburn and becomes Gus' Mickey Andrews or Bud Foster

Limited substitutions during drives

Utilize our backs in the same manner as LSU and Clemson do/did in the passing game

The emergence of a true passing threat from the TE/HB position.

Receivers running and executing every route not just "their" routes

Development of better route running and the ability to create better separation.

Our new OL coach develops/instills a sense of mean/nastiness that is good for a personal foul every once in a while for unnecessary roughness.

Bo to navigate and deliver from the pocket better

Better down field accuracy from Bo

Better play calling early to settle down any early game jitters

Limit inefficient, low-percentage deep passes on 3rd and short

Better commitment to staying ahead of schedule and getting 1st downs rather than trick plays for the hell of it to kill drives.

We develop an elite pass rusher

TWILL continues to develop and assume more responsibility

We play a little less man coverage

Develop and commitment to an intense, insatiable bad attitude of kicking the dog crap out of everyone lined up across from us at every position on every down.

Keep working the list, Gus!

8 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

1. Yeah, but which QB? The sophomore who has never run anything but a shotgun look? Cord Sandberg? Incoming freshman Chayil Garnett, who's a Nick Marshall-type?

2. Has no other shotgun team figured out run blocking? Or are you advocating it to cover up our specific weaknesses in it?

Either way, we laughed and laughed at Bret Bielema for trying to run that kind of offense with the wrong personnel. You guys have been doing a lot of complaining about non-disaster seasons...you're talking about a total offensive rebuild.You don't like 9-win seasons? It'd be years until you saw another one.

1.  whether a QB is in the shotgun or under center vision and reading coverages are the same.  Besides the majority time under center would  be a run.

2.  It is impossible to cross block from the shotgun.  The cross blocking scheme can create natural holes to run through.   The zone blocking and other traditional blocking schemes dont seem to be working for us so why not try something new. 

A non disaster season, ha.  We struggled offensively against LSU, Fla, Ga, Minn, and Bama (even through we won).  I always want to improve instead of being happy with a 9 win season.   So if you are happy with 9-4, dont change anything.

• WarTiger changed the title to hopes for next couple of years?
1 hour ago, Carnell said:

1.  whether a QB is in the shotgun or under center vision and reading coverages are the same.  Besides the majority time under center would  be a run.

2.  It is impossible to cross block from the shotgun.  The cross blocking scheme can create natural holes to run through.   The zone blocking and other traditional blocking schemes dont seem to be working for us so why not try something new. 

A non disaster season, ha.  We struggled offensively against LSU, Fla, Ga, Minn, and Bama (even through we won).  I always want to improve instead of being happy with a 9 win season.   So if you are happy with 9-4, dont change anything.

1. I do not profess to be an expert, but there's a reason that recruiting services classify players as pocket passers and dual threat. I do not know of ANY DT QBs that operate from under center, and there's a reason that you recruit the way you recruit.

2. I'm OK trying something new, but I just want to be clear that you're asking to be the 2.0 version of Arkansas under Bielema. We don't have that personnel at QB or OL, it would take time and would be miserable.

There's a huge difference between a 9-win season and a disaster. We won 9 games, beat our biggest rival, didn't have major injuries at key positions, didn't have an embarrssing loss (in the sense of UT or MSST from last year) and have a metric crap ton of draft prospects that are going to make us look good. We easily won the ones we were "supposed to" and lost most of the ones that were toss-ups.

There have been Gus disaster seasons, and this wasn't one of them. Didn't end how we wanted, wish we'd done better, but 9 wins vs the toughest schedule in the country with a TF QB is...pretty good. Just okay. Not a disaster, and to say so diminishes the efforts of the players.

This is Auburn. We've seen **** shows, like 2012 and 3-2 and Doug Barfield. A 10-win season would have had everyone exulting, you can't go from success to abject failure in the span of 1 win. Be realistic.

Archived