2021 5* PF Jabari Smith Signs With AU! (Update 11/17/20)

ellitor

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, but I rather doubt Thor is coming back, so the point is moot. If he does decide to come back, then yeah, I could see JT moving to the 3, or I could see Jabari playing the 3 and JT playing the 4, because they are very similar players, from what I can tell.

I just really don't expect JT to be playing for Auburn this season.

You really are a ton of fun 

• Haha 2

JT already has spent a year beefing up and getting even better defensively, so I feel like I’d like him at the 3, but I think Jabari is a better offensive player so...pros and cons there

I’m kinda thinking with a NBA fan perspective, where the small forward is the most dominant position on the court, and I’d just want our best defender there to match up with em

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You really are a ton of fun 

I don't see the point in getting my hopes up for having JT and Jabari on the same team when I've seen no indication that JT is going to come back, and at least a couple of people who should know saying that he's going pro. Sorry bro.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I don't see the point in getting my hopes up for having JT and Jabari on the same team when I've seen no indication that JT is going to come back, and at least a couple of people who should know saying that he's going pro. Sorry bro.

You’re correlating discussing a hypothetical event as someone on their hands and knees praying for said event. There’s nothing big in this section for quite a while, I’d hope I’m not depriving anyone by choosing to talk hypotheticals 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Best class I took was fencing. My gosh that was fun. My professor was actually one of the Deans of the college, but master knowledge of Shakespeare. We basically had a tourney which I actually ended up winning against my roommate in final lol. But fencing with a Shakespearean master in the main gothic style hallway of our 150 year old building, awesome!

Thats awesome! I took tennis as well. Once the teacher realized that I was a really good player, he asked me to help him with teaching the class. He split the class into 2 groups and had me teach 1.  He gave me an A and didn't have to take any of the written or playing tests.  I thought I was pretty hot s***...lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Scuba diving!  ‘‘twas a blast

@Dual-Threat Rigby put me in team … “I hypothetically want JT back”

I don’t think manifesting truly works, but if enough of us think really hard about JT, maybe we can make a miracle happen 

I pray we just load this guy up with so much NIL money somewhere that his family is at least good for another year. We literally just need September to March (maybe early April :) ) from him and he’ll be rich beyond his wildest dreams. What would Calipari do! 

• Haha 1

I watched the little clip with Jabari walking at Auburn. The first thing I noticed while not massive he looks thicker then Thor. Yes he can add some muscle but his arms are thicker and have more definition then Thor. From what I have read he is already a more polished offensive player then Thor who can score both inside and outside and being thicker (Again not saying he is thick) he will be harder to move inside which should allow him to be a better rebounder then Thor. 

Thor had great timing and long arms to disrupt passing lanes I have no idea Jabari will be as effective as Thor in this part of his game. Thor rebounded more by using his quickness and timing to swoop in for rebounds as opposed to battling for position down low.  I can easily see a starting front of Kessler at 5. Jabari at 4, and Flanagan at 3.  I can even see Kessler at 5, Williams at 4, Jabari at 3, Flanagan at 2.  That would give us 4 scorers and rebounders on the floor at same time, with 4 shot blockers and Flanagan as an on ball defender out front. Jasper/Green at PG. Cambridge as a 2 or 3, Chris Moore as a 2 or 3 last years towards end of year Moore showed some promise as a 2, also Jasper can play 2. Caldwell and Stretch as back up 5's. 

With Kessler and Jabari able to stretch D's with their outside shooting it will make Flanagan even more effective when he drives as the lane won't be as clogged. We should have strong defensive team that is also a strong rebounding team that should lead to more easy fast break baskets.  How quick we can build team chemistry and how well we move the ball by passing instead of dribbling will determine how good we are defensively. We also have enough depth on our roster that we can afford to press of D more and play more up tempo wearing out some teams.

This will be a much better and more experienced team then last year and it will need to be as KY, Tenn. and Arkansas have also added a lot to their rosters. Bama has added a lot of pieces also but like Auburn and lost some key players also so while many think they will be real good I think chemistry and buying into the system will also be key for them Oates is a good coach. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I watched the little clip with Jabari walking at Auburn. The first thing I noticed while not massive he looks thicker then Thor. Yes he can add some muscle but his arms are thicker and have more definition then Thor. From what I have read he is already a more polished offensive player then Thor who can score both inside and outside and being thicker (Again not saying he is thick) he will be harder to move inside which should allow him to be a better rebounder then Thor. 

Thor had great timing and long arms to disrupt passing lanes I have no idea Jabari will be as effective as Thor in this part of his game. Thor rebounded more by using his quickness and timing to swoop in for rebounds as opposed to battling for position down low.  I can easily see a starting front of Kessler at 5. Jabari at 4, and Flanagan at 3.  I can even see Kessler at 5, Williams at 4, Jabari at 3, Flanagan at 2.  That would give us 4 scorers and rebounders on the floor at same time, with 4 shot blockers and Flanagan as an on ball defender out front. Jasper/Green at PG. Cambridge as a 2 or 3, Chris Moore as a 2 or 3 last years towards end of year Moore showed some promise as a 2, also Jasper can play 2. Caldwell and Stretch as back up 5's. 

With Kessler and Jabari able to stretch D's with their outside shooting it will make Flanagan even more effective when he drives as the lane won't be as clogged. We should have strong defensive team that is also a strong rebounding team that should lead to more easy fast break baskets.  How quick we can build team chemistry and how well we move the ball by passing instead of dribbling will determine how good we are defensively. We also have enough depth on our roster that we can afford to press of D more and play more up tempo wearing out some teams.

This will be a much better and more experienced team then last year and it will need to be as KY, Tenn. and Arkansas have also added a lot to their rosters.

I love the breakdown, and I agree with it (except that I don't think Moore will be a 2), but one thing...it's Flanigan, not Flanagan. Like my comment if you edit your comment so I can delete this reply.

44 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I love the breakdown, and I agree with it (except that I don't think Moore will be a 2), but one thing...it's Flanigan, not Flanagan. Like my comment if you edit your comment so I can delete this reply.

I know better but for some reason when typing I always spell it wrong and have been corrected before. I am not sure why but will use old age as an excuse.  You probably are right about Moore but he actually had a nice stroke towards end of season when Pearl put him at 2 a few times.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I know better but for some reason when typing I always spell it wrong and have been corrected before. I am not sure why but will use old age as an excuse.  You probably are right about Moore but he actually had a nice stroke towards end of season when Pearl put him at 2 a few times.

Oh, he's got a nice shot, but I don't know how well he'll do handling the ball much.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:07 PM, Rednilla said:

Oh, he's got a nice shot, but I don't know how well he'll do handling the ball much.

This is my only real worry about Moore playing the 2. He's shown to be a very effective shooter, especially in the catch and shoot. I just worry about him having to dribble since we never saw it.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:57 PM, ArmchairAthlete7 said:

This is my only real worry about Moore playing the 2. He's shown to be a very effective shooter, especially in the catch and shoot. I just worry about him having to dribble since we never saw it.

Good point but even if not  a great ball handler though you can put him in a position to take advantage of what he does well if he is playing the 2 and other team is playing man to man. Then we move Kessler or Smith to outside and clear floor down low on one side and post Moore up on their 2.  Pearl knows how to work on mis-matches, it is Pearl's bread and butter,  as thick and strong as Moore is he would be a mismatch down low on most 2's. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Jabari Smith sets high expectations for Auburn hoops

By Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com
3-4 minutes

A disappointing 13-14 record and 7-11 in SEC contests in 2020-21 and the cloud of an ongoing NCAA investigation into allegations against the program hasn’t dampened Bruce Pearl’s optimism about his No. 22 Auburn Tigers’ heading into this season.

Confidence is more accessible when five-star freshman Jabari Smith joins the team.

“He’s real easy to root for,” Pearl told reporters earlier this week. He’s led by example, and for him to come in as a freshman and be our hardest working player on the hardest working team I’ve coached. And, all of it is it’s just about his discipline, it’s about his consistency, it’s just about his makeup.”

The 6-foot-10 forward averaged 23.4 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per game as a senior last year at Sandy Creek High School on his way to becoming a McDonald’s All-American and Naismith first-team All-American. Smith is the highest-rated prospect in Auburn basketball history.

Rivals had Smith as their No.4 player. ESPN and 247 Sports had him No. 5 in the rankings for the 2021 class. Acclaim for basketball exploits follows Smith to Auburn. He got named to the Preseason Second Team All-SEC Tuesday, and on Thursday, he made the 2022 Karl Malone Award Watch List by Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The Malone award goes to the best power forward in college basketball. Malone is in the pro basketball hall of fame and was recently selected to the NBA All-75 team.

Pearl wasn’t shy when describing what makes Smith unique on the court.

Jabari’s an elite jump shooter, and he can put the ball down on the floor and create,” Pearl said. “He’s got a great assist-to-turnover ratio. He rebounds his position. He’s just been a lot of fun to coach. That’s why he’s going to be a pro -- because he trains like a pro, and he acts like one, and he wants to be coached.”

Winning won’t be easy for the Tigers. They’re ranked 22nd in America, but they’re fifth in preseason SEC polls. Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee are slotted before Auburn. Vanderbilt might have the best player in the league in Scottie Pippen Jr.

“You know, if you’re good enough to finish in the top five in our league, you’re good enough to get to the Final Four, and we proved that a couple of years ago,” Pearl said. I think there are legitimately nine or 10 teams in our league that are good enough to make the tournament, and I believe there are legitimate, I want to say, seven or eight teams that are going to make the tournament.”

Auburn starts its season with a home game on November 9 against Morehead State.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @nwilborn19.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

The article about Smith was good the little dig about NCAA Investigation hanging over Auburn's head was not needed when you are doing a write up on a player who has nothing to do with the past. As an new Auburn beat writer that is not the way to endear yourself with the fans. I have no problem if he wanted to write up an article on the NCAA investigation and possible outcomes but not as part of a story on Jabari. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The article about Smith was good the little dig about NCAA Investigation hanging over Auburn's head was not needed when you are doing a write up on a player who has nothing to do with the past. As an new Auburn beat writer that is not the way to endear yourself with the fans. I have no problem if he wanted to write up an article on the NCAA investigation and possible outcomes but not as part of a story on Jabari. 

i agree but i believed auburn roundball fans would want to read it so i posted it. and yes i understand you are not taking a shot at me. someone is usually not happy with certain writers or al.com to the point if i listened we would rarely ever have much news. and i cannot believe the ncaa mess is still going on. i do not understand it at all. hell we have done everything but shut the program down.

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i agree but i believed auburn roundball fans would want to read it so i posted it. and yes i understand you are not taking a shot at me. someone is usually not happy with certain writers or al.com to the point if i listened we would rarely ever have much news. and i cannot believe the ncaa mess is still going on. i do not understand it at all. hell we have done everything but shut the program down.

+

I am glad you posted it. It was a good article if the writer had left out the cheap shot at the beginning that had nothing to do with Jabari.  If the writer had wanted to write a complete comprehensive article on the whole affair including all Auburn did once we found out  that would have been fine with me.