Football Season Ideas Discussion NCAA

toddc

Athletic Directors Considering College Football Contingency Plans amid COVID-19

SCOTT POLACEKAPRIL 2, 202031

L.G. Patterson/Associated Press

Collegiate athletic directors are reportedly considering a number of options for holding a football season amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

Brett McMurphy of Stadium reported that of 112 Football Bowl Subdivision athletic directors surveyed, some programs have considered such options as breaking up the 12 regular-season games throughout the fall and spring semesters, holding the College Football Playoff in May or possibly June, conducting a nine-game regular season or just having student athletes but not the student bodies at large return to school.

"If we have to delay the start of the season, we could split it between two semesters," a Power Five AD said. "Some bowls may not occur because of this, but we could play a full season, a majority of the bowls and the playoffs."

McMurphy called starting the season in January or February and extending it past the NFL draft "a last-gasp possibility." However, he added that it would at least increase the chances of holding the games in front of fans and allowing the schools and athletic departments to make some of the revenue they are so reliant on every year.

As for the potential of playing games in front of empty stadiums where only student athletes would return to campus, McMurphy called it "easily the most polarizing" contingency plan.

One AD said, "there is absolutely no way my president would allow something like that to occur."

If there is any silver lining for the college football world, it does have some time to make a decision before the fall season amid so much uncertainty. That is something leagues such as the NBA, NHL, MLB and MLS did not have at their disposal when they elected to suspend their current seasons.

However, college football also features games in cathedral-like stadiums, some of which hold more than 100,000 fans.

The sheer amount of people on campuses for games that goes beyond just the crowds with large rosters, large coaching staffs, television broadcasters, radio equipment, security and tailgaters, among others, would represent a significant challenge given the public health situation in place.

For now, athletic directors are discussing a number of options as they wait for further developments during the pandemic.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2884709-athletic-directors-considering-college-football-contingency-plans-amid-covid-19

I expect we will peak here in Alabama somewhere around April 25, with the end of the bell curve late June. 

I think we will try football, and hopefully an antibody test will be available by fall that can show us who is still susceptible. Now, do we want 87K folks sitting on top of each other with the virus still out there, particularly when it gets a second spike in the late fall?

That’s when it will get interesting.

11 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I expect we will peak here in Alabama somewhere around April 25, with the end of the bell curve late June. 

I think we will try football, and hopefully an antibody test will be available by fall that can show us who is still susceptible. Now, do we want 87K folks sitting on top of each other with the virus still out there, particularly when it gets a second spike in the late fall?

That’s when it will get interesting.

If there is a chance for a 2nd wave of the virus in the fall, but college football goes on, then our stadiums will have an attending age range of 1-60, bc no one above the age of 60(that includes me) will take a chance of getting infected. :(

23 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

bc no one above the age of 60 will take a chance of getting infected

You'd be surprised.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

If there is a chance for a 2nd wave of the virus in the fall, but college football goes on, then our stadiums will have an attending age range of 1-60, bc no one above the age of 60(that includes me) will take a chance of getting infected. :(

Stadium full of seniors wearing orange and blue hazmat suits would be really interesting to see though! 😝 

How about this. Start the season the first Saturday in October and only play 8 games during the regular season. After those 8 games, you'd have some bowl games and you're 4 team playoff.

17 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

How about this. Start the season the first Saturday in October and only play 8 games during the regular season. After those 8 games, you'd have some bowl games and you're 4 team playoff.

Just do a round robin tournament between Auburn, bama, uga, lsu, tamu, and Florida. That’s all we really care about.

I would not go to any college football game and take the chance of getting the virus in the fall. I think the NCAA needs to trash the 2020 season and start looking ahead and make plans for the 2021 season. Playing this year is NOT a smart move. It's deadly.

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I would not go to any college football game and take the chance of getting the virus in the fall. I think the NCAA needs to trash the 2020 season and start looking ahead and make plans for the 2021 season. Playing this year is NOT a smart move. It's deadly.

If we are still getting cases all the way up into August, I can't go, bc I am over 60 and have a weak immune system due to taking immunotherapy drugs. I can't take that chance that people around me aren't Asymptomatic. Unless we can quick test everyone coming into the stadium, and no ones going to do that... 

CAn you image a stadium full of fans with masks and gloves on? 

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

CAn you image a stadium full of fans with masks and gloves on? 

No, but they've done it in Cleveland for years. 

Screenshot_20200405-130001~2.png

If the season is called off, what happens to all the 2020 schedules? Would they just be deleted or push them to 2021?

26 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If the season is called off, what happens to all the 2020 schedules? Would they just be deleted or push them to 2021?

They would be eliminated if we don't play. That would be one less Iron Bowl in T-town. Back to Auburn in 2021. Another thing that little Nicky would probably say was not fair to his team. 

40 minutes ago, gr82be said:

They would be eliminated if we don't play. That would be one less Iron Bowl in T-town. Back to Auburn in 2021. Another thing that little Nicky would probably say was not fair to his team. 

Plus, we could all say "Coronavirus: 1 / bammer: 0"!

If students/campuses aren't open as a whole, then the football season definitely isn't going to happen. And the only hope for campuses to happen is if:

1. Some medication works to prevent the most severe cases to something more reasonable.
  2. Widespread availability of rapid testing. So if a student becomes sick, they can quickly test those that were around them to have them isolate.
  3. Antibody testing to see who is already safe.

If they can reduce the percentage of severe cases to something similar to the flu, then i could see schools being open again. However, fans would still be eliminated from attendance. I just don't see any way that we'll see fans in the stands this fall unless a miracle happens with regards to medication/testing.

You tell everybody in the southeast that if we don’t socially isolate for a month starting now the football season will be canceled the virus will be gone at the end of the month. 

Archived