Do you think we're gonna go back into lockdown?

KnightTiger

Will we go back into Lockdown due to Covid19 cases continuously spiking?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Will we go back into Lockdown

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Man! If this ain't the truth. lol. Probably the only selfish thing i wanted open during lock down. I can work out on my own. Thankful i still have a nice hairline. My wife and son had fun giving me a "cut"......NAH! But I have a couple of guys in my crew who will have me this time around if we have to lock down again.

I was this close to putting a 1 guard on my trimmer and taking it all the way down last month. My wife would have killed me though lol. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I was this close to putting a 1 guard on my trimmer and taking it all the way down last month. My wife would have killed me though lol. 

I’m lucky, well maybe not so much....my wife spends so much money on her hair her stylist will make house calls even when the state shuts them down. She knows to make sure I get my cheap haircut so my wife keeps getting hers!! Lmao 

Just now, wdefromtx said:

I’m lucky, well maybe not so much....my wife spends so much money on her hair her stylist will make house calls even when the state shuts them down. She knows to make sure I get my cheap haircut so my wife keeps getting hers!! Lmao 

20 bucks with the tip. I cap it there. Only exception was before our wedding when she would not let me go anywhere but a stylist. Used to shave it (football player in high school), but don't do that anymore. 

2 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Exactly the same here. But my wife usually cuts mine herself anyway so I didn’t skip a beat. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

20 bucks with the tip. I cap it there. Only exception was before our wedding when she would not let me go anywhere but a stylist. Used to shave it (football player in high school), but don't do that anymore. 

I don’t shave it but I keep the back and sides very short. It lessens the emotional effects of the full on gray I’m sporting ( in my mind anyway). I haven’t had a bad haircut in decades. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I don’t shave it but I keep the back and sides very short. It lessens the emotional effects of the full on gray I’m sporting ( in my mind anyway). I haven’t had a bad haircut in decades. 

s*** man I've had gray mixed in since 9th grade lol and it's catching up fast. 

At least I won't die bald. Papaw died with a full head of hair at 84 and my dad is still going strong on the hair part at 63. 

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Exactly the same here. But my wife usually cuts mine herself anyway so I didn’t skip a beat. 

God forbid I ever forgot to compliment Mrs. Dub when she gets back from getting highlights...

Started getting really thin on top in my 30s. Finally shaved it with the 1 guard. REALLY wish I'd done it sooner. The response was very positive. I'm fortunate to have the right head shape for it. But also, in the summer in the south, I run 5 degrees cooler, easy. And it's so low maintenance. Same with the beard. I have one set of clippers that handles both. I trim and shave once every two weeks.

As for opening back up, I agree with @KnightTiger. At the point I don't think they're going to try to put the toothpaste back in the tube. It's more about managing a more open economy responsibly. Which is what we should have been able to do much earlier in the process but a combination of total ineptitude at the government level and extraordinarily selfish and irresponsible behavior at the level of the governed have made it much more difficult than it needed to be. We're starting to see a more proactive and responsible approach from some platforms in between so hopefully the tide is turning to the good. 

I just got back from Publix and saw a several of old white dudes with no mask on. I almost said something, but they all looked a bit mentally challenged so I kept my mouth shut.  

20 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I just got back from Publix and saw a several of old white dudes with no mask on. I almost said something, but they all looked a bit mentally challenged so I kept my mouth shut.  

Yeah, people going to the grocery store without masks do tend to look mentally challenged. They mostly look normal, except for the absence of a mask.

Florida and Texas going backwards. Georgia no doubt soon to follow. Has anybody checked in on the Brian Kemp fan club lately?

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Yep...

I think it's just a matter of time before it goes even further. Glad to get James home when we did.

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yep...

I think it's just a matter of time before it goes even further. Glad to get James home when we did.

I was supposed to go float the river this weekend. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, people going to the grocery store without masks do tend to look mentally challenged. They mostly look normal, except for the absence of a mask.

Florida and Texas going backwards. Georgia no doubt soon to follow. Has anybody checked in on the Brian Kemp fan club lately?

I think Kemp has done a better job on this overall with his actions than many governors. I mean you had Cuomo and others order elderly folks with COVID-19 back into facilities that caused spread and significant deaths.   I think the governors should react to the facts on the ground just like Kemp and some others have done so far.  If things get close to overwhelming the state's healthcare system, then I hope those governors dial it back some. The really good news is deaths continue to trend downward.  The number of cases in my opinion isn't nearly as important as the number of deaths and hospitalizations since so many are asymptomatic and/or have minor symptoms. I still believe those at risk need to continue to be very cautious and others need to go about their business while taking the recommended precautions. 

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I was supposed to go float the river this weekend. 

Frio?

3 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Guadelupe

Very nice! Growing up in San Antonio, I spent many weekends on the 'lupe and Comal. The Frio was great too, but it's become too popular nowadays.

The US’s new surge in coronavirus cases, explained

America could have prevented another surge in coronavirus cases. It’s now clear it didn’t.

..........But between Monday and Friday, the US went from more than 30,000 reported cases in one day to more than 45,000. Arizona, Florida, Texas, and several other states in the South and West are among the hardest hit.

A chart showing the dramatic increase in coronavirus cases over the week of June 22. German Lopez/Vox

President Donald Trump and his allies have suggested that the increase is due to a spike in testing, but the data doesn’t bear that out. The number of cases has increased more quickly than the number of tests, with the percentage of tests that are coming back positive — an indicator of the seriousness of an outbreak — rising above 10, 15, and even 20 percent in some states. (The recommended positive rate is below 5 percent.)

It’s a significant shift from much of May and June, when testing increased, cases plateaued nationwide, the positive rate fell across the country, and it finally looked like restrictions and social distancing measures were working to constrain the growth of the coronavirus.

So what went wrong? The simple answer is states started to relax their restrictions and reopen their economies — giving employers, employees, and their patrons a chance to go back out into the world and interact, fueling new cases.

It’s possible to lift restrictions slowly and safely, and a few states are meeting the benchmarks that experts recommend to do that. But most never fully controlled their outbreaks, instead forging ahead with reopening.

A mix of carelessness and partisanship is to blame. Under Trump, the federal government and some states appeared to prioritize the economy over public health, voicing discontent with the restrictions. Trump called to “LIBERATE” states from shutdowns. Some Americans took up that messaging, reopening their businesses and going back out. Mask-wearing became a politicized issue, and segments of the population rejected face coverings and other precautions against Covid-19.

The effects were sadly predictable. Citing research on the 1918 flu pandemic and newer studies, experts pointed out that lockdowns worked to slow the spread of the coronavirus, and ending the restrictions would lead to a spike in cases as long as other preventive measures weren’t put in place. But experts’ warnings were not heeded.

“It’s a situation that didn’t have to be,” Jaime Slaughter-Acey, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota, told me. “For almost three months, you had opportunities to be proactive with respect to mitigating the Covid-19 pandemic and to help normalize culture to adopt practices that would stem the tide of transmissions as well as the development of Covid-19 complications. … It was not prioritized over the economy.”

The result: America is now in the middle of a predictable, preventable wave of Covid-19 cases — worsening what was already the most widespread coronavirus crisis in the world.........

For the complete article, including state by state data,  go to:  https://www.vox.com/2020/6/27/21302495/coronavirus-pandemic-second-wave-us-america

We just posted our time share week in July for sale. Cocoa Beach. Just too much unknown to drive 10 -11 hours. Between beaches and restaurants possibly shutting down and interstate riots we will hang around and do home improvements. Or try to work overtime and use $ for a fall vacation. 

On 6/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, wdefromtx said:

bars should've been the last thing to reopen unfortunately I saw this coming. death counts will be the main header to watch for july and august as that area is staying down for the most part. however cases and hospitalizations are definitely being stubborn though

china is reportedly back under lockdown due to a cluster of new cases. but does anyone really believe the commies in china? how do we know they ever saw the end of current cases

On 6/26/2020 at 8:00 AM, McLoofus said:

Started getting really thin on top in my 30s. Finally shaved it with the 1 guard. REALLY wish I'd done it sooner. The response was very positive. I'm fortunate to have the right head shape for it. But also, in the summer in the south, I run 5 degrees cooler, easy. And it's so low maintenance. Same with the beard. I have one set of clippers that handles both. I trim and shave once every two weeks.

As for opening back up, I agree with @KnightTiger. At the point I don't think they're going to try to put the toothpaste back in the tube. It's more about managing a more open economy responsibly. Which is what we should have been able to do much earlier in the process but a combination of total ineptitude at the government level and extraordinarily selfish and irresponsible behavior at the level of the governed have made it much more difficult than it needed to be. We're starting to see a more proactive and responsible approach from some platforms in between so hopefully the tide is turning to the good. 

i had hair way down to my chest but i got tired of that mess. and i never liked the ponytail thing much. so i just got mine all cut off. i was afraid the mask would get in the way but it did not. and i cannot do the buzz cut cus i got a peanut shaped head..............lol

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i had hair way down to my chest but i got tired of that mess. and i never liked the ponytail thing much. so i just got mine all cut off. i was afraid the mask would get in the way but it did not. and i cannot do the buzz cut cus i got a peanut shaped head..............lol

One of the librarians at our local branch regularly grows his hair that long and then has it cut off to donate for wigs for cancer patients. 

In Texas they are testing everyone that goes to the ER for Covid regardless if they come in for it. So if you come in with a broken arm for example you get tested. About 50% of those that come in for something other than Covid actually have Covid. Hence the sudden surge the last two-three weeks in the daily cases reported. Basically if you test more you get more cases. Yet they are trying to blame it on the bars. Lol 

10 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

In Texas they are testing everyone that goes to the ER for Covid regardless if they come in for it. So if you come in with a broken arm for example you get tested. About 50% of those that come in for something other than Covid actually have Covid. Hence the sudden surge the last two-three weeks in the daily cases reported. Basically if you test more you get more cases. Yet they are trying to blame it on the bars. Lol 

From https://www.tmc.edu/news/2020/06/coronavirus-connection-a-texas-medical-center-continuing-update/

According to Turner, the city’s positive tests were around 3% in April, but have increased to above 13%.

“My fear is that we will see that number to continue to rise,” said David Persse, M.D., the city’s health authority. “What that reflects, of course, is not that complicated. It’s that there is more virus in the community than previously expected.”

It's not just increased testing. Even if it is, reopening criteria is based on the number of active cases. Finding a suprisingly higher number of people with the virus after more tests means that you reopened with incorrect information. Closing high risk places like bars just makes sense.

Yeah. The "more testing = more cases" logic only works if the percentages hold even. Not complicated.

Fortunately, the hospitalizations and deaths don't seem to be rising most places. But some places they are. 

Archived